GI Reveal Article Info

• 81 results
#51 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@buzz_killington said:

Michael, Trevor, and Franklin, huh? I thought it was Kane, Lynch, and Black Guy.

On a base level, the descriptions of Michael and Trevor are somewhat similar to those of Kane and Lynch, but I trust Rockstar to develop their characters a bit better and involve them in a more interesting story.

#52 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

@buzz_killington said:

Michael, Trevor, and Franklin, huh? I thought it was Kane, Lynch, and Black Guy.

On a base level, the descriptions of Michael and Trevor are somewhat similar to those of Kane and Lynch, but I trust Rockstar to develop their characters a bit better and involve them in a more interesting story.

Yeah, I totally agree. Just thought it was funny.

#53 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Trevor does remind me a little of Kane & Lynch. Sounds like he's a bit unhinged mentally.

Michael reminds me of DeNiro in heat. Older dude with experience, but knows his shit.

#54 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@buzz_killington:

Upon further review, clearly GTA V is just a rip off of Kane & Lynch (...not really, but it's surprisingly easy to find similar screenshots):

#55 Edited by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

OMG started clapping after the first paragraph. Micheal seems cool.

@Chaser324 said:

@benpicko said:

• 'Driving is described as an arcade racing game, vs the heavy cars of GTAIV.'

FUCK.

Yeah, kinda crazy, but Dan Houser did say in the article that it is going to scratch the itch of "high level racing games" in a way that GTA has never done before.

I liked the boat cars though. Think I'm the only one.

#56 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@Green_Incarnate said:

I actually liked the weightiness too, but I get the feeling that they want GTA V to be a much faster and more action-packed game which probably would work a bit better with some tighter handling.

#57 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

• Driving physics model has been tweaked from GTA IV. Whereas cars were "big and boatlike", they'll now "hold to the ground a bit better". Dan Houser says that it will scratch the itch of "high level racing games".

Fuck. If the cars drive like the ones in Saints Row, I'm going to be so pissed. The driving in GTA IV was perfect. God damn it.

#58 Posted by captain_clayman (3319 posts) -

@Jace said:

@Chaser324 said:

• Driving physics model has been tweaked from GTA IV. Whereas cars were "big and boatlike", they'll now "hold to the ground a bit better". Dan Houser says that it will scratch the itch of "high level racing games".

Fuck. If the cars drive like the ones in Saints Row, I'm going to be so pissed. The driving in GTA IV was perfect. God damn it.

It was good in the sense that it felt like they had weight to them, but good doesn't always mean fun. The driving got REALLY aggravating on later missions, especially on bikes where you'd hit a bump and then fly off and then mission failed. The handling might have been more forgivable if the missions had checkpoints and it was faster to get back into the action if you fucked up (which GTA V will do, i'm almost positive)

#59 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@captain_clayman: The Ballad of Gay Tony had a decent checkpoint system, so I assume GTA V will build on that.

#60 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

@Green_Incarnate said:

@Chaser324 said:

@benpicko said:

FUCK.

Yeah, kinda crazy, but Dan Houser did say in the article that it is going to scratch the itch of "high level racing games" in a way that GTA has never done before.

I loved them also. I don't think they'll mess them up, though. Just make them slightly less slippery.

@captain_clayman said:

@Jace said:

@Chaser324 said:

It was good in the sense that it felt like they had weight to them, but good doesn't always mean fun. The driving got REALLY aggravating on later missions, especially on bikes where you'd hit a bump and then fly off and then mission failed. The handling might have been more forgivable if the missions had checkpoints and it was faster to get back into the action if you fucked up (which GTA V will do, i'm almost positive)

Yeah, vanilla GTA IV's checkpointing was shitty. They improved that a lot in the DLC episodes and Red Dead thankfully.

#61 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Green_Incarnate said:

@Chaser324 said:

@benpicko said:

FUCK.

Nope. I liked it too. I thought the cars handled perfectly, and the people complaining about it just sucked at it.

#62 Posted by captain_clayman (3319 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Green_Incarnate said:

@Chaser324 said:

@benpicko said:

FUCK.

Nope. I liked it too. I thought the cars handled perfectly, and the people complaining about it just sucked at it.

Regardless of whether or not that's true, I sucked or the handling sucked and I was still fucking up throughout the whole game, and it detracted from the experience. I'm not saying it needs to be easy or anything, but just a bit tighter when i'm peeling around corners. One of the problems was that the cars you would jack are almost always piece of shit minivans that drive like shit no matter what.

#63 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Hope it does come out on PC, rather play this with a decent draw distance and frame rate.

#64 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (604 posts) -

This sounds incredible. GTA IV was a defining game...and this looks up to the task. And I also really liked GTA IV's car physics and handling because it feels so real compared to other open world games. When you go around a corner and smack another car, the physics on that impact, no game comes close to GTA IV's realism in that area...still.

#65 Posted by Soap (3565 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Soap said:

Oh man that all sounds so great... I need this game now!

(what happens if in free roam I move all the characters into one place and then shoot two of them in the head? Time Paradox?!)

They dodge. Nah, just kidding, i imagine you can't do that. And when you try it, the characters say something in the lines of "What the fuck are you doing!?"

Or you can kill them, but then they'll just respawn back at a hospital :P

And you still lose money/weapons?

Still? They changed that in GTAIV remember so when you die you still kept your weapons, and I have to imagine they'd keep it that way for GTAV. Of course given how many other changes are being implemented who knows... but I highly doubt they'll revert it back to you losing all of your weapons again.

Wasn't that only if you were dating the girl who was a paramedic? or am I thinking of another game o.O

#66 Posted by Loyal_Dragoon (118 posts) -

Since they've included wine country, who's up for reenacting Sideways?

Seriously, I can't wait for this game. Three playable characters, improved handling of cars, you can explore the ocean, Ammu-nation is back, no girlfriend/dating stuff, random encounters are back from Red Dead, dogs are in, heist missions are in... the list goes on. I just wish we had a confirmed release date, and not just "Spring 2013.".

Hopefully the 2nd trailer will show more than the 2nd trailer for GTA IV did.

#67 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Soap said:

@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Soap said:

(what happens if in free roam I move all the characters into one place and then shoot two of them in the head? Time Paradox?!)

They dodge. Nah, just kidding, i imagine you can't do that. And when you try it, the characters say something in the lines of "What the fuck are you doing!?"

Still? They changed that in GTAIV remember so when you die you still kept your weapons, and I have to imagine they'd keep it that way for GTAV. Of course given how many other changes are being implemented who knows... but I highly doubt they'll revert it back to you losing all of your weapons again.

Wasn't that only if you were dating the girl who was a paramedic? or am I thinking of another game o.O

You keep all your weapons in GTA IV when you die no matter what. You only lose them if you get arrested.

#68 Posted by KrypticKiller (190 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Green_Incarnate said:

@Chaser324 said:

@benpicko said:

FUCK.

Fucking hell. The Driving was a perfect balance of sim/arcade in gta4. I'm a god damn tool when it comes to driving games, yet I figured out how to power slide around corners with ease.

Tbh, if this is true it may be a deal breaker for me. At least until the pc version comes out. Gotta love mods.

#69 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Green_Incarnate said:

@Chaser324 said:

@benpicko said:

FUCK.

It was just not the style of driving I wanted in a game like GTA. The driving was worse than previous games because it wasn't very fun, far too much weight added to the majority of vehicles.

The horrible frame rate didn't help either, wanna go 90MPH? I hope you like 20fps then!

#70 Posted by Soap (3565 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Soap said:

@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Soap said:

You keep all your weapons in GTA IV when you die no matter what. You only lose them if you get arrested.

I must of been thinking of Saints Row 2 or something then.

I swear there was a game like this recently where dating women from the police and hospitals meant you kept your weapons upon death or an arrest.

#71 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Rockstar is jesus christ and muhammad and moses having a friendly party <3

The only bit I found strange was "None of the GTA:SA stat building nonsense." ... I mean why not?

#72 Posted by Yummylee (21263 posts) -

@Soap: You're perhaps thinking of San Andreas. There was a cop and a nurse you can date and, once you've taken them on enough successful dates, will allow you to keep your weapon when you die or get busted

#73 Posted by Soap (3565 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Soap: You're perhaps thinking of San Andreas. There was a cop and a nurse you can date and, once you've taken them on enough successful dates, will allow you to keep your weapon when you die or get busted

That must be it, thanks! :)

#74 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

@captain_clayman said:

@Jace said:

@Chaser324 said:

I'm failing to see how that argument makes sense. You're complaining that if you hit a bump while on a bike, you'd fly off. That only happened at high speeds, and only if you weren't on the road (assuming you don't hit a car). So why not take a car for a mission that you know you'll need to be stable on? Unless you're talking about Lost and Damned, but the choppers were always stable in my experience. Or, you know, just learn to stay on the bikes.

What needs to be understood about GTA IV's driving is this:

There has never been such a binary reaction to a mechanic of a GTA game in Rockstar's history before. There were people that absolutely hated the driving. However, for those of us who put the time in to learn how it worked, we loved it. The modding community did so much to the cars and handling it was like GTA IV had come out for the source engine. GTA IV has the best driving/handling model out of any game ever that wasn't Forza, Gran Turismo, or PC exclusive. I won't even buy GTA V if it drives like most wanted/forza horizon/burnout. I'm not going to pay for a downgrade to one of the most essential mechanics in the GTA games.

#75 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

Is there some sort of video about GTA V already out (not trailer 1) and from Game Informer (and I already know that there is going to be a new trailer next week)?

#76 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2413 posts) -

Where the hell is my new issue of GI...

#77 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Rockstar is jesus christ and muhammad and moses having a friendly party <3

Back of the box quote.

#78 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@dcgc: Nope, there's no new video content associated with this article. However, Game Informer is currently gathering questions for a Q&A session, so if you have any questions for some of the only people on the planet that have seen the game in action, you can post them here.

#79 Posted by Sodacake (15 posts) -

@Chaser324: This is something I didn't like about GTAIV. They really did feel way too heavy. It felt okay when you were in a big truck or van or something. It gave the bigger vehicles a sense of mass and weight, but for smaller cars it just felt weird.

#80 Posted by Zereta (1363 posts) -

I hated GTAIV. This all sounds amazing though. But so did GTAIV. Cautious.

#81 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@Sodacake: I'm hoping we don't lose all of the heft because I thought it gave GTA IV a unique and more real world feel. However, if they're going to take the game in the direction of more over the top action, I'm perfectly fine with them tightening up the handling a little.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.