GTA Five-O?

#1 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Just popped into my head the other day. Any chances of them using this being the 5th game to do a GTA where you play a dirty cop trying to keep his dirty secrets hidden while still making sure he gets his pay? Think GTA meets the shield. Bald guy optional. Could be an interesting twist on generic thug shows up in town and begins a genocide on taxi drivers.

#2 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10990 posts) -

Only if that song was in the game. And played constantly.

Moderator
#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan: I'm sure they could work it in there.

#4 Posted by onarum (2082 posts) -

I wouldn't mind that, sounds like a great setting actually.

#5 Edited by Ghostiet (5264 posts) -

This would actually be quite badass. Also, put it in Hawaii and I got reminded of Jake And The Fatman right now.

Online
#6 Edited by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

I think it's story-breaking enough already when you go on a random homicidal rampage through the city. I can't see any story justification for an actual cop that does the same and maintaining his position on the force.

In a less open-world game it could work, but not in GTA, I don't think.

#7 Posted by Marcsman (3192 posts) -

That would be awesome. I would do anything to get back to Hawaii. Even in a video game.

#8 Posted by ProfessorEss (7361 posts) -

GTA Five-O eh? 
 
...yeah, I'm feeling that.

#9 Posted by OroJackson (680 posts) -

There would be a radio station that played the theme song on loop, and I would listen to that shit all day

#10 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

@FireBurger said:

I think it's story-breaking enough already when you go on a random homicidal rampage through the city. I can't see any story justification for an actual cop that does the same and maintaining his position on the force.

In a less open-world game it could work, but not in GTA, I don't think.

Super deep undercover cop that has no connections to the police but random check ins. The character gets put in bad situations where he has to kill to keep his cover to get the big bad guy and all the usual under cover tropes. Throw in several missions where he has to blackmail/intimidate various people who catch him doing these bad things to keep the higher ups from finding him out.

As for random homicidal rampages, does it make any more sense that you can run through a city killing literally thousands and not have the entire fucking police force of the city, if not the national guard itself, descend on the city and relentlessly hunt you down and kill you? How they don't plaster pictures of you all over the city and have soldiers/cops on every street corner ordered to shoot on site. Not to mention the dozens of gangs that you piss off along the way as you kill hundreds of their members that would put bounties on your head worth hundreds of millions that would attract every single assassin/bounty hunter on the planet to come looking for you on top of the cops?

Every GTA has required a heaping helping of suspension of disbelief for it to make any sense, so why not for this?

#11 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

@FireBurger said:

I think it's story-breaking enough already when you go on a random homicidal rampage through the city. I can't see any story justification for an actual cop that does the same and maintaining his position on the force.

In a less open-world game it could work, but not in GTA, I don't think.

Super deep undercover cop that has no connections to the police but random check ins. The character gets put in bad situations where he has to kill to keep his cover to get the big bad guy and all the usual under cover tropes. Throw in several missions where he has to blackmail/intimidate various people who catch him doing these bad things to keep the higher ups from finding him out.

As for random homicidal rampages, does it make any more sense that you can run through a city killing literally thousands and not have the entire fucking police force of the city, if not the national guard itself, descend on the city and relentlessly hunt you down and kill you? How they don't plaster pictures of you all over the city and have soldiers/cops on every street corner ordered to shoot on site. Not to mention the dozens of gangs that you piss off along the way as you kill hundreds of their members that would put bounties on your head worth hundreds of millions that would attract every single assassin/bounty hunter on the planet to come looking for you on top of the cops?

Also the fact if they eventually catch you after all that, they just release you with a minor bribe.

#12 Posted by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Only if that song was in the game. And played constantly.

Every time you get in a car, that should be the only song on any of the music radio stations.

Seriously though, this is actually a pretty awesome idea. I don't know about the undercover cop part, but Hawaii would be a pretty damn interesting setting. They should be able to make it distinct from fake Miami in Vice City, which is the most similar setting they've had to Hawaii so far, in terms of a sorta tropical climate.

#13 Posted by chrissedoff (2096 posts) -

@crusader8463: that's a really cool idea for a game, but i think that might demand a structure that's a little too different from the past grand theft auto games. still, though, i want to play that game!

#14 Posted by Patman99 (1581 posts) -

That sounds like a cool idea. I would love to play an undercover cop. Kinda reminds me of the movie The Departed.

#15 Edited by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@crusader8463 said:

@FireBurger said:

I think it's story-breaking enough already when you go on a random homicidal rampage through the city. I can't see any story justification for an actual cop that does the same and maintaining his position on the force.

In a less open-world game it could work, but not in GTA, I don't think.

Super deep undercover cop that has no connections to the police but random check ins. The character gets put in bad situations where he has to kill to keep his cover to get the big bad guy and all the usual under cover tropes. Throw in several missions where he has to blackmail/intimidate various people who catch him doing these bad things to keep the higher ups from finding him out.

As for random homicidal rampages, does it make any more sense that you can run through a city killing literally thousands and not have the entire fucking police force of the city, if not the national guard itself, descend on the city and relentlessly hunt you down and kill you? How they don't plaster pictures of you all over the city and have soldiers/cops on every street corner ordered to shoot on site. Not to mention the dozens of gangs that you piss off along the way as you kill hundreds of their members that would put bounties on your head worth hundreds of millions that would attract every single assassin/bounty hunter on the planet to come looking for you on top of the cops?

Also the fact if they eventually catch you after all that, they just release you with a minor bribe.

That might have worked back in GTA: San Andreas, but with GTA IV they've tried to go at least somewhat serious. And I recognize the absurdity of killing rampages even as a criminal, which is why I think doing it as a cop is too much, whether there is an "undercover cop" story or not.

In open-world games where the player can wantonly kill, there are always going to be story and immersion concessions. I just think that playing that role as a cop would be too absurd.

But, hey, if they do it, that would be a fun game.

#16 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

That is a brilliant idea.

@crusader8463 said:

Could be an interesting twist on generic thug shows up in town and begins a genocide on taxi drivers.

Haha xD

#17 Edited by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -

GTA Five Five 
GTA Fifty Five
GTA V-Five
GTA Five-V
 
This logo sucks.

#18 Posted by senorfuzzeh (385 posts) -

I heard rumors that the new GTA is going to be set in the future.

Got to admit that'd be kind of cool to be getting chased by the cops to the roof of a building and then to jump and be free falling off a building onto a passing by FLYING vehicle, grab on, and throw a guy out, and then have a high speed chase through the futuristic city of Liberty City or something.

#19 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

ACAB!

#20 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

And you'll play as a relative of Roy Earle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.