Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

GTA V coming Oct 2012? (Rumor)

• 54 results
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Winternet

Apparently, according to the CV of a Rockstar North employee, Grand Theft Auto V will ship on October 2012. Since this rumor broke, the CV has been pulled down. Rockstar have not released any comment on this matter.

What do you guys think? Crazy to have GTA V this year, making the first time Rockstar launches 2 major products on the same year or totally possible?

source: Joystiq

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Heltom92

They've released games at that time of yera before so it could be possible I suppose. Would be crazy awesome to get Max Payne 3 and GTA V in the same year.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By fraser

Possibly! GTA4 shipped almost exactly a year after the first trailer broke, if I remember correctly. So this release would fit the pattern, with last year's trailer and all that.

Just seems a tad unexpected if they break out of the April/May thing they've had going on for the past few years.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By napalm
    @fraser: Max Payne 3 is already in the May slot, so that's why Grand Theft Auto V isn't releasing then as well.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feels early to me. Rockstar tends to like to steer cleer of the Holiday buzz, and release in May where it is clear of all competition and can maximize profits during a dry spell.

Shit, I can't think of the last game Rockstar made that was released outside of that targeted zone:

Max Payne 3 - May 2012

L.A. Noire - May 2011

Red Dead Redemption - May 2010

GTA IV - April 2008

GTA IV was originally slated for an October release, but after that, it was all Spring, all the time.

If it DOES release October, what will we be getting the following spring to fit with their spring launch tradition? The next Red Dead perhaps?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mosespippy

GTA IV was the first GTA game since the original to not get an October release and that was only because of a delay. So history says it's likely to be an October release. However, Take Two also has Bioshock Infinite this holiday and I can't think of anything from them for next spring. GTA V still feels early to me. I wouldn't be surprised if October was announced and then it got delayed to May.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy said:

GTA IV was the first GTA game since the original to not get an October release and that was only because of a delay. So history says it's likely to be an October release. However, Take Two also has Bioshock Infinite this holiday and I can't think of anything from them for next spring. GTA V still feels early to me. I wouldn't be surprised if October was announced and then it got delayed to May.

I'd bet you $20 brad bucks that if Red Dead's sequel isn't slated for May 2013, that GTA V will fill that spot. Rockstars five year trend is to release in the Spring, I doubt they will stop now.

*Edited the date because I'm apparently stuck in 2011.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jimbo

GTA will dominate whenever it comes out. It's the kinda game other games will move out of the way for.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fearbeard

I'd love to get GTA V this year.. though honestly I'm not going to expect it until May 2013

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mosespippy

@allworkandlowpay said:

@mosespippy said:

I'd bet you $20 brad bucks that if Red Dead's sequel isn't slated for May 2012, that GTA V will fill that spot. Rockstars five year trend is to release in the Spring, I doubt they will stop now.

Red Dead Redemption took 5 years to make, L.A. Noire took 7 and so far GTA V has taken 4. Max Payne 3 was originally a 2009 release and still isn't out. I don't see Red Dead Sequel being ready for spring. Rockstar is in the position where they can take as much time as they need. Whatever they have that is unannounced likely won't be ready for spring.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By ShaneDev

What was the actual cause of the GTA 4 delay or did they ever say?

I would really like it to released in October because I can get it sooner but it could really be anytime and they could release it anytime and it would sell. They never release two games in one year but MP3 was delayed so many times so I doubt that is really a factor. On the other hand this guy might have been guessing and has no idea. I would really like it to be October though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@mosespippy said:

I'd bet you $20 brad bucks that if Red Dead's sequel isn't slated for May 2012, that GTA V will fill that spot. Rockstars five year trend is to release in the Spring, I doubt they will stop now.

Red Dead Redemption took 5 years to make, L.A. Noire took 7 and so far GTA V has taken 4. Max Payne 3 was originally a 2009 release and still isn't out. I don't see Red Dead Sequel being ready for spring. Rockstar is in the position where they can take as much time as they need. Whatever they have that is unannounced likely won't be ready for spring.

I don't know where your numbers for RDR are coming from, but according to the wiki article:

Red Dead Redemption only had a proof of concept pre-rendered demo in 2005, it was designed to promote the RAGE engine as well as the PS3's hardware. Production didn't start til 2008. It took around two years to make. They announced the game in February 2009 and came out in May 2010. It would be a shorter announcement period, but they may be waiting for E3, in either case, it's really not that much of a difference.

It's been two years. A separate studio was making RDR. They still haven't announced what they have been doing since Undead Nightmare. How long has it been? oh right, two years.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Winternet

I agree with the argument that Bioshock Infinite coming out on October isn't compatible with GTA V also on October. Unless one of those gets pushed to November.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@allworkandlowpay said:

@mosespippy said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@mosespippy said:

I don't know where your numbers for RDR are coming from, but according to the wiki article:

Red Dead Redemption only had a proof of concept pre-rendered demo in 2005, it was designed to promote the RAGE engine as well as the PS3's hardware. Production didn't start til 2008. It took around two years to make. They announced the game in February 2009 and came out in May 2010. It would be a shorter announcement period, but they may be waiting for E3, in either case, it's really not that much of a difference.

It's been two years. A separate studio was making RDR. They still haven't announced what they have been doing since Undead Nightmare. How long has it been? oh right, two years.

Do you mean 2013? Or are you actually saying Rockstar are going to release an unannounced, unmarketed sequel to RDR in "May 2012," a month's time?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mosespippy

@allworkandlowpay said:

@mosespippy said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@mosespippy said:

My numbers come from Lazlow talking about it on The Lazlow Show shortly after the game came out.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Sooperspy

I would love for this rumor to be true, but I kind of doubt it because of what some others have pointed out. Rockstar hasn't shipped two games in the same year in a long time, and Bioshock Infinite is coming out around October 2012 for Take-Two and they will then have nothing big slated for Spring 2013.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EuanDewar

Someone post lavender piranha

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Hosstile17

@Winternet: Midnight Club Los Angeles and GTA IV came out the same year. So, yeah. It is totally possible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GunslingerPanda: Yup. Good catch. meant 2013. Still doesn't feel like 2012 to me yet.

@mosespippy: Kay, well unfortunately the voice actor/writer of a specific segment in an entirely separate series in an entirely separate studio on an entirely different coast is unfortunately misinformed. The environment artist Matt Kazan, who worked on Red Dead Redemption (at the time known as Red Dead Revolver 2) stated that they began working on the game in 2008 after Manhunt 2 and Bully was finished up.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lukeweizer

I heard companies don't like to release games close to Christmas because they hate money.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Winternet

@Hosstile17 said:

@Winternet: Midnight Club Los Angeles and GTA IV came out the same year. So, yeah. It is totally possible.

I wouldn't call Midnight Club Los Angeles a major product. You could make the same argument for Bully and Table Tennis, which came out the same year, but again, Table Tennis isn't a major product.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hosstile17

@Winternet: I can agree with Table Tennis not being considered a major product. But, Midnight Club LA had a massive world with tons of cars and massice amounts of content. That is one huge game. The world in Midnight Club LA is larger than L.A. Noire and the campaign took me almost 50 hours to finish. It also had full voice acting and cinematics.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss

Rockstar could release GTA on Smarch 37, a date that doesn't even exist, and they'd still move millions. 

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mosespippy

@allworkandlowpay said:

@GunslingerPanda: Yup. Good catch. meant 2013. Still doesn't feel like 2012 to me yet.

@mosespippy: Kay, well unfortunately the voice actor/writer of a specific segment in an entirely separate series in an entirely separate studio on an entirely different coast is unfortunately misinformed. The environment artist Matt Kazan, who worked on Red Dead Redemption (at the time known as Red Dead Revolver 2) stated that they began working on the game in 2008 after Manhunt 2 and Bully was finished up.

Lazlow did work on Red Dead. He wrote/scripted the silent films and newspapers in the game for example. He also produces the voice overs. He works closely with Dan Houser who wrote the narrative and dialogue of Red Dead Redemption. Laz said it took the different studios 5 years to make. The lead studio was Rockstar San Diego; Matt Kazan was based out of Rockstar Toronto. Just because his team was brought on after Manhunt 2 and Bully doesn't mean they worked on it from the start. Different teams are needed at different times of the process.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

Lazlow did work on Red Dead. He wrote/scripted the silent films and newspapers in the game for example. He also produces the voice overs. He works closely with Dan Houser who wrote the narrative and dialogue of Red Dead Redemption. Laz said it took the different studios 5 years to make. The lead studio was Rockstar San Diego; Matt Kazan was based out of Rockstar Toronto. Just because his team was brought on after Manhunt 2 and Bully doesn't mean they worked on it from the start. Different teams are needed at different times of the process.

His credits on IMDB only list him as the voice actor of one side character. Probably is incomplete. Either way, he is likely wrong, based on the person with more intimate knowledge of the game development, it sounds like if it was longer, it was because the original PS2 version was scrapped. the game is it is now, was started in 08 by every source I can find. Until otherwise, I'm going to chalk up Lazlow's statement as being misinformed.

Loyal_Dragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Loyal_Dragoon

I'd love to play GTA V this fall, but if it takes longer to release, I'd be fine with that. I do believe that once Max Payne 3 is shipped, they'll start cranking up their GTA hype machine.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fraser

@Napalm: Yeh I meant 2013. Should have specified that.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Funkydupe

Just for consoles?

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BBQBram

Don't  you dare tease with the notion of a new Red Dead that soon.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sthusby

@fraser said:

Possibly! GTA4 shipped almost exactly a year after the first trailer broke, if I remember correctly. So this release would fit the pattern, with last year's trailer and all that.

Just seems a tad unexpected if they break out of the April/May thing they've had going on for the past few years.

GTA IV was supposed to launch in the holiday window, but Rockstar delayed it due to trouble with the PS Tripple version.

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HoM3R

I think the are gonna say they are going for October. Then accepting all the money offered by other publisher for them not to release it in October and go for a May release.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Winternet

Rockstar has yet to comment on this, which leads me to believe that the rumor is true and they're just waiting for it to disappear so people forget about it when they actually reveal it on E3.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

@Winternet said:

I agree with the argument that Bioshock Infinite coming out on October isn't compatible with GTA V also on October. Unless one of those gets pushed to November.

This. Why would 2K get in the way of either of their monster titles? No way it comes in October.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fjordson

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@Winternet said:

This. Why would 2K get in the way of either of their monster titles? No way it comes in October.

Bioshock delayed until 2013...

THE PLOT THICKENS.

GTA V out October 16. Believe.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Brunchies

With Bioshock delayed, I can easily see Rockstar's parent company wanting something to sell during the holidays, GTA 5 might be that.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I really hope this is true. They probably won't comment on a release date until Max Payne 3 is out the door.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By moncole

releasing in 2013.

quote me on this.

Loyal_Dragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Loyal_Dragoon

I'm thinking Bioshock gets pushed into March, while GTA V gets released in May of 2013. Hopefully I'm wrong about that, though.

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By deadly_polo

The teaser trailer having come out last November/October sometime I can't see Rockstar waiting 18 months to release. Bioshock Infinite being delayed just leaves a hole for a Take Two product to be released, conspiracists may suggest even that Infinite was 'helped' towards a delay because Fall is when GTA V will be ready and Rockstar would probably put it out anyway!

GTA V in October 2013, revealed the week before E3 because Rockstar are the only company who can pull that off (and Pachter predicted that months ago).

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fjordson

@deadly_polo said:

The teaser trailer having come out last November/October sometime I can't see Rockstar waiting 18 months to release. Bioshock Infinite being delayed just leaves a hole for a Take Two product to be released, conspiracists may suggest even that Infinite was 'helped' towards a delay because Fall is when GTA V will be ready and Rockstar would probably put it out anyway!

GTA V in October 2013, revealed the week before E3 because Rockstar are the only company who can pull that off (and Pachter predicted that months ago).

That's what I'm hoping for. I can still see a 2013 release date, but I'm feeling good about October of this year. 50/50 chance.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hitchenson

@deadly_polo said:

He's also said RTS' tend to be turn based single player experiences and that no one has a PC faster than a PS3. He's an idiot.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

@Fjordson said:

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@Winternet said:

Bioshock delayed until 2013...

THE PLOT THICKENS.

GTA V out October 16. Believe.

Yep. I guess they saw the obvious sales battle with themselves too. GTA V is almost a certainty to be out this year now. I'm ready!

jasonkorrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jasonkorrey

I am waiting for this new one. As last one I have enjoyed much my interest for this new up coming version is lost. I think this Oct is good for me because I am enjoying GTA during whole month.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CL60

Futureshop gave me 20 dollars off gta v for buying Max Payne 3 and it's valid between feb 1st 2013 and may 31 2013. So it better not come out in 2012.

Avatar image for angre_leperkan439
    Angre_Leperkan439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh God I hope it does. I can't wait for the new GTA :D

But I'm assuming since GTAIV came out in Spring, they'll follow suit with GTAV.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BPRJCTX

It's this year guys, but, for some reason, i'm think they'll release it by late November early December...

Weird i know, but i just don't feel it'll be out by October...

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jillsandwich

@allworkandlowpay said:

If it DOES release October, what will we be getting the following spring to fit with their spring launch tradition? The next Red Dead perhaps?

Beaterator 2.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By pr1mus

Take 2 said they expect to make between 1.75 and 1.85 billions in revenue for the year ending in march 2013. That's 600-700 million more than two years ago when they released Red Dead Redemption and almost double what they made last year. That's almost like saying that GTA V will be released sometimes before march 31st next year. Considering they just pushed Bioshock Infinite from October to February next year i'd say they indirectly confirmed GTA V for this October. That or they are out of their fucking mind regarding their potential revenues.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Pr1mus said:

Take 2 said they expect to make between 1.75 and 1.85 billions in revenue for the year ending in march 2013. That's 600-700 million more than two years ago when they released Red Dead Redemption and almost double what they made last year. That's almost like saying that GTA V will be released sometimes before march 31st next year. Considering they just pushed Bioshock Infinite from October to February next year i'd say they indirectly confirmed GTA V for this October. That or they are out of their fucking mind regarding their potential revenues.

Very interesting analysis. Where did they say that though?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.