Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

GTA V - Tips & Tricks - Spoiler Free!

• 112 results
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

Figured we should start a place for people to share & talk about things they find in the game - I'll start! Please avoid story spoilers altogether in this topic.

- Sometimes totally random people you meet on the street will end up being possible crew members later, or helping you in other ways- It pays to stop for random events.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'd have stopped anyway, but that's cool to know! My delivery is mere minutes away, so hyped.

Paul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you know how to recover a car from the impound lot? Where do I go to do that?

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Shoot or be shot.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paul: For me their was a icon on the map.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can anybody tell me where to easily obtain a bicycle?

I wanna do some Premium Rush shit but the only bike I've found so far was at the end of one of the early Strangers and Freaks missions that Michael had.

I want a way to get one reliably when I want one

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jimmyfenix
    mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found its faster to jump up stairs than run.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@secondpersonshooter You can store bicycles in your garage, at least if you buy one off the internet on your phone.

@pantzing_nome You can interact with people with the action button (right on the d-pad on PS3, same on the 360 I guess).

When unarmed and riding a bicycle, you can give people the finger by holding L1. Aiming it around causes people to... react.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have a slightly spoilerish question about stocks. It involves the mission where clothing stores are introduced.

So, the life invader stocks go lower because of that thing that happens. Then lester links you to the stock trade and talks about some business that you should trade on because of what happens. What's the company I should put money on after that?

Also, is there a purpose for that move that makes you fling yourself forward? You know, when you're sprinting then press jump then press punch you fling your body forward. Is there a reason besides being awesome?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Change your Weapon Target to Complex in the display settings, WAY easier to see your crosshairs than the tiny white dot that gets lost easily.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Invest in stocks as early as possible. Also robbing corner stores and gas stations is quite lucrative early on.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People die really easily, so make sure they are fully in the car before driving... many missions restarted.. many random event peds killed.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Here's a tip for the low vision gamers out there playing on an SDTV. don't bother trying to read the text in the upper left. Instead, just pause the game and try to read it from the Brief menu option. It's a higher contrast. Also, if you're having trouble with missions that require you to see a nigh-fucking invisible black dot on a FUCKING BLACK AND WHITE MINIMAP (seriously, fucking kudos to the assholes who keep refusing to admit color blindness is a fucking thing), you can skip missions once you've failed them often enough. Sure, it strips away the part of the game that's supposed to be fun - you know, the gameplay, Rockstar? - but I guess it's easier for their programmers to just include a solution like that rather than fix the actual fucking problems. I love paying sixty bucks for fucking cut scenes.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone knows how do I train my dog chop? It says download an app, but I can't find it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You can Quicksave from your phone. I don't remember the game telling me this.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: The app is actually a real life app that you can download on the App Store. Apparently the Android version is coming soon. I thought the app would give you exclusive tricks but I didn't know that you couldn't train Chop without it, which kinda sucks.

@believer258: I think that was one of the help hints on the loading screen. I saw that when it was installing and I got all excited.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I haven't tried this out, but it seems like NPCs can run up/down stairs far faster than you can. A bit annoying at times.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattjam3000 said:

I haven't tried this out, but it seems like NPCs can run up/down stairs far faster than you can. A bit annoying at times.

Yeah, I raced a crazy lady and she almost beat me because she blew right by me on the stairs.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I wanna do some Premium Rush shit but the only bike I've found so far was at the end of one of the early Strangers and Freaks missions that Michael had.

2500$ purchase vie your iFruit phone's internet app. Travel & Transport tab, I believe. A shop called *Pedal Something*. Bike will be delivered to your garage (30,000$ real estate purchase).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@krullban said:

@chaser324 said:

@mattjam3000 said:

Yeah, I raced a crazy lady and she almost beat me because she blew right by me on the stairs.

I raced the same crazy lady and only beat her because I awkwardly leaped down the stairs.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@secondpersonshooter said:

2500$ purchase vie your iFruit phone's internet app. Travel & Transport tab, I believe. A shop called *Pedal Something*. Bike will be delivered to your garage (30,000$ real estate purchase).

Each character also has their own garage in town right from the beginning (besides the ones at their respective safehouses, I mean).

Is there any way (or need) to insure your cars in the singleplayer?

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This is off-topic, but here is all the voice actors together.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chaser324  Moderator

@krullban: Wow! That photo is so weird. Are they cosplaying as their characters?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Um this kind of a spoiler well more of an easter egg type deal but I'll spoiler block it just in case you haven't reached the point. This occurs when we see Trevor in the current timeline.

If you didn't think Johnny Klebitz was dead with Trevor's rendition of curve stomping, you can actually run over both him and Ashley Butler to confirm their deaths and their insignificance to the story of GTA V. On a side note I am really sad to see what Meth has done to these two characters as I really enjoyed GTA IV: Lost and the Damned.

No Caption Provided

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone have any advice on what stocks to get? Im kinda clueless on it

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mbdoeden

@clonedzero said:

Trying to do this without spoilers, but if you haven't unlocked Lester and worked with him as both Michael & Franklin past the first heist mission I wouldn't read it.

Lester will give Franklin a series of assassination missions. The easy way to make money on stocks is to invest into the direct competitors of the assassination targets. That's about it. Don't fret too much about it, you really don't need to go crazy with it, you'll make plenty of money throughout the campaign to fuck around with.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbdoeden said:

@clonedzero said:

Trying to do this without spoilers, but if you haven't unlocked Lester and worked with him as both Michael & Franklin past the first heist mission I wouldn't read it.

Lester will give Franklin a series of assassination missions. The easy way to make money on stocks is to invest into the direct competitors of the assassination targets. That's about it. Don't fret too much about it, you really don't need to go crazy with it, you'll make plenty of money throughout the campaign to fuck around with.

Ok thanks, im actually at that exact point in the game.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Does that mean like the weird unmarked side missions (the equivalent of the stagecoach robberies or w/e from RDR) you see on the side of the street that you can do, or literally random people?

I've only seen a couple of those that pop up, ran down a dude who stole a woman's wallet and gave it back and that was it, but if this is true they might be worth doing.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By MrMazz

Anyone have tips in how to fly better in this game? I just got Trevor and am doing some of his specific missions, which involve flying plans. I suck at flying planes aparently sicne I can't keep altitude to save my life.

Also does the garage at your safehouse only save the last car you parked in there? Because I've been using motorbikes since thye seem to handel better. I should probably buy one of those garages on the map huh.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@mb: Does that mean like the weird unmarked side missions (the equivalent of the stagecoach robberies or w/e from RDR) you see on the side of the street that you can do, or literally random people?

I've only seen a couple of those that pop up, ran down a dude who stole a woman's wallet and gave it back and that was it, but if this is true they might be worth doing.

I meant the unmarked side missions that appear as blue dots for the people that start them. So far I've met two crew members by stopping to help randoms on the street...one was in a car accident and one had a bike stolen which I returned. Another random person I helped later on ended up revealing that he was a wealthy entrepreneur and sent me $100,000 worth of stock in his company.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@dystopiax said:

I meant the unmarked side missions that appear as blue dots for the people that start them. So far I've met two crew members by stopping to help randoms on the street...one was in a car accident and one had a bike stolen which I returned. Another random person I helped later on ended up revealing that he was a wealthy entrepreneur and sent me $100,000 worth of stock in his company.

Damn ok, cause most of the one's I've done are just snatch-and-grabs - although I did also get the stolen bike one, although he didn't indicate at all that he would be a crew member.. But it's cool that those are worth doing. I wonder how many of those random crew members there are though, if there are a ton with different side missions or it's the same few and you'll almost inevitably see them in every instance of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Can anyone tell me whether you are able to gather a crew/driver outside of missions?

I want to go roll up on some Ballas, San Andreas-style.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#36  Edited By alistercat

Get the iFruit app ASAP. Training Chop is cool, but the real bonus is a free car upgrade.

When you use the app, your first car customisation is free. No matter what upgrades you choose. Give Franklin's car the best of everything that you can get, right from the beginning. A lot of the better stuff is locked for later in the game, but you can still start out with a much, much better car. Again, it's only once, but gives you a great advantage early game. Since each character has their own permanent car in this game it's definitely worth upgrading those.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get the iFruit app ASAP. Training Chop is cool, but the real bonus is a free car upgrade.

When you use the app, your first car customisation is free. No matter what upgrades you choose. Give Franklin's car the best of everything that you can get, right from the beginning. A lot of the better stuff is locked for later in the game, but you can still start out with a much, much better car. Again, it's only once, but gives you a great advantage early game. Since each character has their own permanent car in this game it's definitely worth upgrading those.

Yeah, the biggest benefit is that the car won't suffer from the "custom/save car disappearance" bug.

Training Chop is cool but what's cooler is getting all the shit out your yard.

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering, if I fail a random event, will it respawn?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz said:

Anyone have tips in how to fly better in this game? I just got Trevor and am doing some of his specific missions, which involve flying plans. I suck at flying planes aparently sicne I can't keep altitude to save my life.

Also does the garage at your safehouse only save the last car you parked in there? Because I've been using motorbikes since thye seem to handel better. I should probably buy one of those garages on the map huh.

Flying it a bitch especially when you get to the point where you are forced to do the flight school for a mission. I didn't enjoy it in GTA San Andreas I don't enjoy it now. It's weird but I've actually had helicopters spawn in my parking spot cause it was the last vehicle I used before entering a mission, it just sucks cause if you hop in it the blades will get stuck in the roof and wall and immediately explode.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@twistedh34t: Yeah, don't worry too much about failing a random event. I think most of them will occur again, but some occur far more frequently than others.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twistedh34t: Yeah, don't worry too much about failing a random event. I think they'll all occur again, but some occur far more frequently than others.

Do you know if the one with Packie in it happens again if you kill him?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mrmazz said:

Flying it a bitch especially when you get to the point where you are forced to do the flight school for a mission. I didn't enjoy it in GTA San Andreas I don't enjoy it now. It's weird but I've actually had helicopters spawn in my parking spot cause it was the last vehicle I used before entering a mission, it just sucks cause if you hop in it the blades will get stuck in the roof and wall and immediately explode.

I went through like 3 missions from the flight school and bailed. I don't even think you're forced to do it, its entirely optional.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twistedh34t: Yeah, don't worry too much about failing a random event. I think they'll all occur again, but some occur far more frequently than others.

I heard there are some that are non-repeatable, for example: the one at the construction site where the guy is stuck inside his vehicle by fallen debris and needs you to help him out.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@klei said:

@i_stay_puft said:

@mrmazz said:

I went through like 3 missions from the flight school and bailed. I don't even think you're forced to do it, its entirely optional.

Really? thought it was forced during the Trevor Heist if you selected the "B" Stealth option.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chaser324  Moderator

@chaser324 said:

I heard there are some that are non-repeatable, for example: the one at the construction site where the guy is stuck inside his vehicle by fallen debris and needs you to help him out.

Yeah, I guess some of them probably are not repeatable. That one and the one @krullban mentioned make sense that they wouldn't occur a second time.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klei said:

@i_stay_puft said:

@mrmazz said:

Really? thought it was forced during the Trevor Heist if you selected the "B" Stealth option.

No. Just the dialogue changes if you don't do it or do it.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@krullban: About the flight training for that mission -

Even though I did all of it and maxed out Michael's flight skill, the dialogue was still mostly about Michael not practicing much. Does flying time impact that dialogue?

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban: About the flight training for that mission -

Even though I did all of it and maxed out Michael's flight skill, the dialogue was still mostly about Michael not practicing much. Does flying time impact that dialogue?

Really? I did all the flight school and Michael said "Of course I did it" and Trevor said some stuff about Michael doing it.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chaser324  Moderator

@krullban: For me -

Michael did say that he did it, but he also said he didn't do all that much. Then during the mission there's bits with Trevor yelling at Michael about "Next time I tell you to practice something, practice!"

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Krullban

@krullban: For me -

Michael did say that he did it, but he also said he didn't do all that much. Then during the mission there's bits with Trevor yelling at Michael about "Next time I tell you to practice something, practice!"

Never said any of that for me. It was mostly about how Michael was doing alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.