GTAV New Information, Summarized

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

Help me update this!

Characters

You will play as three different characters:

• Michael, a retired, well-off bank robber who gets sucked back into the game. Early 40s. Got money.
  • Trevor, a true criminal element, angry and unapologetic. Early 40s. Sounds broke.
  • Franklin, a young man looking to make it big. Early 20s. Sounds really broke.

How does it work?

• You switch between the three via a radial menu.
  • It also sounds like some of the switching is more dynamic: cinematics in Max Payne 3 are referenced.
  • Certain plot missions are tied to certain characters.
  • At most points in the game you can jump between the three on the fly; they live in different zones, whether these zones are locked one from the other is unknown.
  • In some missions you play as all three, jumping between them at the press of a button. Example: be the driver, the guy shooting out the window, or the guy on the roof watching it all.
  • Basically it's unclear whether you play as all 3 when the game decides or if you could individually bring them to the same street for a shootout, for example. In missions it sounds like AI takes over for you as you switch. But how will that work outside of missions?
  • It's unknown how the three meet.
  • Each of the three "has a unique skillset," though it's unclear how that translates to gameplay.
  • Different characters will be used to leverage different tones/mission styles (ex: Trevor's are probably more violent).

Gameplay

• You can swim. In fact you can scuba dive.
  • You can play tennis, play (a full game of) golf, go to clubs, etc.
  • Some hobbies may be unique to some characters (they're still working on it).
  • Base jumping.
  • No San Andreas style get fatter/thinner.
  • Buy clothes. Sounds like old GTAs.
  • No romance options.
  • Some friend options to replace said romance options.
  • No property management.
  • There will be a reason to spend lots of dough in the late game.
  • You can give people the finger (maybe some other gestures too?)
  • Driving is described as an arcade racing game, vs the heavy cars of GTAIV.
  • Standard statements about Melee/Shooting systems being the best yet.
  • There will be RDR style random events/quests.
  • You can grab gascans, pour the gas out dynamically, and light it. I think.
  • Heist missions will feature more prominently. Sounds like there could be some planning involved?
  • You can drop the top of some cars (not sure if that's been in the series before).
  • Again: skillsets. No clue what this means but it's reiterated a lot in the article: certain characters can do certain things, but what those are are unknown, though it's mentioned that Trevor has experience as a pilot, so maybe only he can fly planes?

Environment

• (including exterior and interior spaces) Los Santos is bigger than the worlds of Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas and GTAIV combined.
  • Bikes (motorized and otherwise), jet skis, planes and ATVs feature.
#2 Edited by project343 (2837 posts) -

That all sounds really interesting up until you see that they are all white young-adult-to-middle-age males. I'm pretty annoyed with this.

#3 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

@project343: Franklin's black though. But I feel you. I was hoping for a brown brother myself. Like that's ever going to happen. :(

#4 Posted by project343 (2837 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE said:

@project343: Franklin's black though. But I feel you. I was hoping for a brown brother myself. Like that's ever going to happen. :(

Is he? Well in either case, that was territory that GTA has treaded in the past with San Andreas. GTA5 could have done some spectacular stuff with a female protagonist, an arab protagonist, a Native protagonist... I mean, there is so much spectacular social commentary potential here that the series is known for.

#5 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

Having Arabs in games other than as moving targets is still wishful thinking at this point, but yeah, totally. I think many of us expected a female protagonist and that's definitely the more surprising omission, especially now we know there are three characters.

A woman in GTA would be like the Samus reveal of our generation.

#6 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: They characters really aren't all scumy. Sounds like Franklin falls in to this line of work due to his circumstances, while Michael is a guy who tried to be an "honest" criminal, and gets sucked back in. Trevor sounds like the scapegoat they can give all the rampage missions to.

#7 Posted by Hunter5024 (5905 posts) -

Thanks for posting this dude. I hope they just map The Finger to a specific button rather than some dynamic taunt mechanic. I've always wanted to give my controller a "Fuck You" button.

#8 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2169 posts) -

There is already a post like this.

Link

#9 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -
@Hunter5024 Saints Row: The Third already did it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.