GTAV Viral Campaign Goes Too Far?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by ac3x (49 posts) -

The man in white was not carrying an ID, but Rockstar's marketing department might want to conduct a roll call.

#2 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Video not available.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14823 posts) -

Uh, I don't think I'm "getting" it.....

#4 Posted by Thoseposers (784 posts) -

what does that have to do with gta?

#5 Posted by Brendan (7806 posts) -

This thread seems callous.

#6 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

Wackity schmackity doo.

#7 Posted by Sackmanjones (4701 posts) -

Someone fill me in please

#8 Edited by haffy (673 posts) -

Is shooting someone 5+ times standard for police in America? I've seen a fair few videos of this kind of shit, seems a bit excessive.

#9 Posted by jtman54179 (183 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: @Thoseposers: @Demoskinos: The news report contains an event that occurs almost regularly in grand theft auto.......Be that as it may........

@Brendan said:

#10 Posted by Joker369 (877 posts) -

How does this have anything to do with GTA? Also, I always wonder why in situations like this, police don't just go for a non lethal area like the leg.

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (14823 posts) -

@jtman54179 said:

@Sackmanjones: @Thoseposers: @Demoskinos: The news report contains an event that occurs almost regularly in grand theft auto.......Be that as it may........

@Brendan said:

Not nearly enough of a GTA fan to have gotten that.

#12 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

You're reaching if you think this has anything to do with any type of marketing campaign.

#13 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -

@haffy: Not really, one or two bullets at most three is enough to stop a normal person, it might have been that they guy was hopped up on something else ( such as bath salts ) to require the excessive amount of force. But still ten rounds is kind of ridiculous. And to add my opinion to the Viral Marketing thing I really doubt that. I don't think any company would go to the lengths such as firing off a gun ( even if it is blanks ) to promote a product. People really don't like the idea of real violence happening as it's seen in a game like GTA

#14 Posted by ac3x (49 posts) -

I didn't intend for this thread to be callous, but I guess I am a pretty mean-spirited asshole. In any event, I think the twitter/facebook comments on this event and shootings in general, as well as the fact that youtube videos of this event are linked to GTA and midtown madness videos might be the basis for fresh satire in GTA or any other series interested in social commentary.

#15 Posted by ShaggE (6452 posts) -

You miiiiight have had something if GTAV took place in Liberty City (fake New York). It'd still be an asshole joke to make, but at least it'd make sense.

#16 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

I kinda get your joke?

#17 Posted by DutchElvis92 (11 posts) -

I like all the armchair gun experts here who are obviously veterans of many shootouts. Fact is, you shoot until the threat stops. And with a semi-auto handgun, you can put a lot of rounds down range fast. The effect deadly force situations have on people means that they are often just reflexively pulling the trigger. Each distinct trigger pull is not necessarily a conscious act.

#18 Posted by jtman54179 (183 posts) -

@DutchElvis92 said:

I like all the armchair gun experts here who are obviously veterans of many shootouts. Fact is, you shoot until the threat stops. And with a semi-auto handgun, you can put a lot of rounds down range fast. The effect deadly force situations have on people means that they are often just reflexively pulling the trigger. Each distinct trigger pull is not necessarily a conscious act.

Thinking that same thing. If I'm ever in a shoot to kill scenario, someone won't make it out.

#19 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Is this a joke? It's fucking horrible. And I don't mean it's offensive, I mean it's fucking not funny. It's aggressively not funny. It's anti-funny. It's so unfunny that I am now in a worse, less humorous mood for having read it.

Hey, did you hear some people shot guns in Iraq? Wow, the viral marketing for Mass Effect Leviathon has gone too far, lol. Right, because Mass Effect and Iraq both involve guns and shooting?

Good god.

#20 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

Is this a joke? It's fucking horrible. And I don't mean it's offensive, I mean it's fucking not funny. It's aggressively not funny. It's anti-funny. It's so unfunny that I am now in a worse, less humorous mood for having read it.

Hey, did you hear some people shot guns in Iraq? Wow, the viral marketing for Mass Effect Leviathon has gone too far, lol. Right, because Mass Effect and Iraq both involve guns and shooting?

Good god.

Completely agree. This thread is tasteless and making a baseless claim at relevance to GTAV. I hope I'm never detached enough to be so uncouth.

#21 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -

@DutchElvis92: I never meant to come across as an armchair gun expert and your right I haven't seen any shootouts something that I'm happy to not have witnessed. I understand that there is the human factor tied into firing a weapon. That said I've had many a conversation with my uncle who's been involved with the Vancouver police for a little under 20 years now. I don't know if it's different in the states but our police officers up here are trained extensively to only use a weapon when they feel that there life is in sufficient danger. The several times that my Uncle has been pressed into pulling out his weapon ( he used to walk the beat on Hastings and Main aka the sketchy area of downtown vancouver) he's old me that the training that he received in using his weapon kicked in and he fired with the absolute minimum number of rounds to put the people down typically in a non lethal area. I don't know exactly what happened with this situation in new york. I was simply commenting on the typical amount of force needed to put someone down.

#22 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Oh. You're joking. Well then.

I watched the video thinking "Hm, this is a really interesting and well done viral". But now that I know it was the real deal, I feel a little sick.

#23 Posted by GnomeonFire (741 posts) -

Read the whole article, no mention of GTA, Wtf man?

#24 Edited by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

Good god.

This made me laugh more then OP's "joke", just the first two lines alone.

#25 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

"Hey, so guys? Raise your hand if... you want to die? Any volunteers? We have this smashing idea, and you know... hey look, there's free marijuana!"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that never happened.

@jtman54179 said:

The news report contains an event that occurs almost regularly in grand theft auto [...]

Also, I've played enough Grand Theft Auto to know that whatever "regular" event you're referencing, is just you talking out of your ass.

#26 Edited by NTM (7377 posts) -

Just because there are guns in GTA, and there are police in it, and people die, has nothing to do with this article. I mean, it's like correlating any other story about police shootings with GTA, it doesn't make much sense and is unneeded.

#27 Posted by mlarrabee (2951 posts) -
Additional officers responded and pepper-sprayed the man six times, to no effect, when he menaced police with the knife and refused to drop it, according to Browne.
"He advanced on uniformed officers, refusing officers' repeated commands to drop his weapon," the deputy commissioner said. 1

The rest of the story. And this thread really doesn't need to exist.

#28 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

@hangedtoaster said:

@haffy: Not really, one or two bullets at most three is enough to stop a normal person, it might have been that they guy was hopped up on something else ( such as bath salts ) to require the excessive amount of force. But still ten rounds is kind of ridiculous. And to add my opinion to the Viral Marketing thing I really doubt that. I don't think any company would go to the lengths such as firing off a gun ( even if it is blanks ) to promote a product. People really don't like the idea of real violence happening as it's seen in a game like GTA

Do you really need a gun in the first place to deal with someone like that? It's a knife, it really isn't that dangerous.

This is a video from earlier this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQv8I-mUhE

I mean, really 10 shots because someone has a pipe? Police in the UK deal with this shit all the time without killing people. I mean fuck, the one time they did shoot and kill someone, there was fucking riots in London for weeks.

#29 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

It's really bad in Seattle. The cops out here do this kind of shit so frequently that the feds are investigating them.

#30 Posted by J12088 (451 posts) -

@haffy said:

@hangedtoaster said:

Do you really need a gun in the first place to deal with someone like that? It's a knife, it really isn't that dangerous.

I mean, really 10 shots because someone has a pipe? Police in the UK deal with this shit all the time without killing people. I mean fuck, the one time they did shoot and kill someone, there was fucking riots in London for weeks.

That's because there trained. Out there they put a gun in your hand, make you stand in a shooting range for half an hour to insure you can hit a target then your set to go out on the beat poppin caps in asses yo.

Seriously the dude has a pipe. They have 2-4 police officers and a fucking dog there and he gets shot what? 10 times? Are they seriously that mental out there cause that's frightening. Set the damn dog on him that's what hes there for. Tazer him, pepper spray. Hell if your that eager to use a gun shoot him in the damn leg. Mental.

#31 Edited by Garfield518 (404 posts) -

@J12088 said:

@haffy said:

@hangedtoaster said:

That's because there trained. Out there they put a gun in your hand, make you stand in a shooting range for half an hour to insure you can hit a target then your set to go out on the beat poppin caps in asses yo.

Seriously the dude has a pipe. They have 2-4 police officers and a fucking dog there and he gets shot what? 10 times? Are they seriously that mental out there cause that's frightening. Set the damn dog on him that's what hes there for. Tazer him, pepper spray. Hell if your that eager to use a gun shoot him in the damn leg. Mental.

All three of you are idiots that know absolutely nothing about how law enforcement officers train and operate, so continue sitting comfortably at your computers and shut up.

And shoot them in the legs? Anyone with any fire arms training whatsoever knows to go for centre mass.

#32 Posted by J12088 (451 posts) -

@Garfield518: Yeah I'm the idiot. The guys got several officers around him and an attack dog. He shoots a dude dead and continues to shoot while hes on the floor. All because he was trying to smash a window? You don't perhaps think there was other ways of dealing with the situation? That's a punishment that fits the crime is it? Was he not allowed a trial at all? Look out lads hes breaking a window! Death sentence!

I don't know how there trained or how they operate. If i had to guess from that video I'd say they was trained poorly and they operate wrecklessly.

#33 Posted by Tobiass (150 posts) -
#34 Posted by MiniPato (2737 posts) -

You'd have to reach around the world to make up this joke.

#35 Posted by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -

@Garfield518 said:

@J12088 said:

@haffy said:

@hangedtoaster said:

All three of you are idiots that know absolutely nothing about how law enforcement officers train and operate, so continue sitting comfortably at your computers and shut up.

And shoot them in the legs? Anyone with any fire arms training whatsoever knows to go for centre mass.

To quote Ryan Davis, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SAYING!?!?! Center mass? That's some shoot-to-kill type shit. The guy was holding a knife and the police pops off 10 rounds to "center mass" in under 2 seconds? That's a fucking execution.

#36 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

There might have been a way to discuss this news story, but this thread is basically built around a joke in poor taste, and one that is not appropriate for the site. Considering that this thing has been flagged to hell I'm assuming the community are not too hot on it either. To me it only makes sense to lock this down, however, anyone is free to create a new thread on the topic, providing they do something to get discussion rolling and try not to make jokes about peoples deaths.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.