Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

have they given a reason why theres no pc release?

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

it seems strange to me that they havent got a pc release for this,i wouldnt imagine it would be difficult to do. Its almost free money for them majority of the work would be done, have they given any reason as to why there is no pc release?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

You're aware you're posting this on the Saints Row IV board, right? As in thats the game you're referring to?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder
    spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

ha multiple pages open no this was ment for gta 5

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlexW00d

Tbf there was no retail release for SR4 on PC in the UK so I this could have almost been a valid topic. Almost.

And nope, of course Rockstar haven't.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@spyder335: There... will be a PC release. They're just focusing on the console releases at the moment. Rockstar tends to do that at the outset.

I think there is reason to believe that you will have GTA V on the PC within the next half year, but nothing has been set in stone. Nvidia let slip two weeks ago that they expected GTA V would be out on PC at some point this Fall, and then they backed off of that when pushed on it. I'm inclined to believe the rumors that GTA V will be out on PC either this Fall or Spring 2014.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
    TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

Console games sell millions more than PC games, with developers transitioning to next-gen GTA5 will be one of the last hurrahs for current gen, they aren't going to sabotage sales by saying a next-gen and/or PC version is coming they will want to sell as much as they can and hope people can't wait and get current gen like me, I will probably double dip.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Why have a PC version that can be pirated when you can sell ten million console versions first? Wait till May 2014 and a PC version will come out.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By abendlaender

I don't think they announced a PC version before the console launch. since GTA 3

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sooty

@mosespippy said:

Why have a PC version that can be pirated when you can sell ten million console versions first? Wait till May 2014 and a PC version will come out.

@thelegendofmart said:

Console games sell millions more than PC games, with developers transitioning to next-gen GTA5 will be one of the last hurrahs for current gen, they aren't going to sabotage sales by saying a next-gen and/or PC version is coming they will want to sell as much as they can and hope people can't wait and get current gen like me, I will probably double dip.

This isn't because of consoles selling more, it's because they know people will buy it for both platforms as they really want to play the game but also want to experience the game without shitty graphics and framerates, so people will buy it on console out of impatience, and then PC out of curiosity and the lust for seeing the game at its best. I know they are going to make me do that.

Rockstar made a lot of money selling GTA on PC, besides. And oh look, the desperate piracy argument, I hadn't heard that one for a while, it's almost like the Xbox 360 doesn't have a piracy problem...wait a minute. You can also play pirated 360 games online, can you on PC? No.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
    TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

It really is, if they announce PC and next-gen I would wager that a lot of people would wait considering the PS4 at least is out in November.

PC sales for GTA4 are barely over 1m total sales whereas it made 3.6m sales in the first DAY on consoles.

They aren't going to do anything to sabotage sales.

@sooty said:

@mosespippy said:

@thelegendofmart said:

This isn't because of consoles selling more, it's because they know people will buy it for both platforms as they really want to play the game but also want to experience the game without shitty graphics and framerates, so people will buy it on console out of impatience, and then PC out of curiosity and the lust for seeing the game at its best. I know they are going to make me do that.

Rockstar made a lot of money selling GTA on PC, besides. And oh look, the desperate piracy argument, I hadn't heard that one for a while, it's almost like the Xbox 360 doesn't have a piracy problem...wait a minute. You can also play pirated 360 games online, can you on PC? No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC sales for GTA4 are barely over 1m total sales whereas it made 3.6m sales in the first DAY on consoles.

Hardly surprising considering how pathetic the port was and how they forced steam, GFWL and Rockstar Social Club upon the player in a trifecta of obnoxiousness. They simply did not give a fuck and consequently neither did the PC gamers. It was (and I content that it still is) a quite horrible experience on PC.

I bought it years after release in a steam sale and even though I upgraded my rig significantly since then, it still runs like shit, especially compared to proper ports like Just Cause 2. They should consider themselves lucky that they managed to sell that many copies, really.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Meowshi

@sooty said:

@mosespippy said:

@thelegendofmart said:

How is the argument desperate? He's just answering your question.

And why are you pretending like the rates of piracy between consoles and PCs are comparable? Besides, I'm willing to bet that PC sales somewhere like 1/7th of the amount from the consoles. I don't see why these facts are bothering you.

It's not as if sales are indicative of the better product.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@thelegendofmart said:

Hardly surprising considering how pathetic the port was and how they forced steam, GFWL and Rockstar Social Club upon the player in a trifecta of obnoxiousness. They simply did not give a fuck and consequently neither did the PC gamers. It was (and I content that it still is) a quite horrible experience on PC.

I bought it years after release in a steam sale and even though I upgraded my rig significantly since then, it still runs like shit, especially compared to proper ports like Just Cause 2. They should consider themselves lucky that they managed to sell that many copies, really.

That's all well and good, except for the fact that 1 million sales on PC for a console port 6 months after the launch on consoles is actually really good. Regardless of the quality of the port or the online service it uses, at this point PC games have zero chance of selling anywhere near the number of console games, but I guarantee they were delighted to get an extra million sales.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

Same as always I guess. Piracy mostly.

My educated guess is, they want to exploit on double dippers, and cut down on the ratio of legit buyers versus pirates. If there was a PC version day and date (which usually amounts to less than 10% of its 20+ million sales), that most certainly would increase the number of pirates, whilst somewhat reducing the amount of legit customers overall.

Seeing how a game like the Witcher 2 achieved lifetime sales of roughly 5 million copies (over PC and Xbox 360), but has been pirated over 2 million times during its initial launch window, I guess that has to be expected. Shame, but I guess that's why we can't have nice things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's all well and good, except for the fact that 1 million sales on PC for a console port 6 months after the launch on consoles is actually really good. Regardless of the quality of the port or the online service it uses, at this point PC games have zero chance of selling anywhere near the number of console games, but I guarantee they were delighted to get an extra million sales.

Keep in mind that Rockstar did the math before and decided against a PC release of that little indie game called Red Dead Redemption.

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomic_dumpling: They probably just weren't bothered with the marketing,porting, drm etc after the sales weren't as big as they thought.

Plus it's a lot harder to pirate a console exclusive....

Thedrbrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really is, if they announce PC and next-gen I would wager that a lot of people would wait considering the PS4 at least is out in November.

They aren't going to do anything to sabotage sales.

I'm surprised that 1 million people bought it in a box on the PC. I'm assuming your number doesn't include any online sales for the PC.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because consoles. They're better.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

NO AND STOP ASKING. Like seriously, people have been talking nonstop about a PC release ever since the game was announced. They act as if Rockstar has never staggered the platform releases before for a GTA game. (here's a hint, it's been like that FOREVER). Sorry. You've got a legitimate question, and that's cool, but just man. I don't think it's ever been this bad before.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, I almost don't want to buy for PS3 because I haven't touched it for like 2 years and I imagine at this point I'll insert the disk and it'll blow up or some shit

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

Because consoles. They're better.

They're way more powerful and cheaper too. I doubt any PC can handle GTA V unless its a $6000 rig or something.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like the GB crew, everytime someone asks about an edurance run they delay it another month.

Same thing with GTAV's PC version.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pyrodactyl

Obvious guess: piracy

Rockstar and/or Take2's approach is to get as much money as possible out of consoles sales before announcing to the world you will be able to get the game for ''free'' in 6 to 18 months.

Not a dumb strategy since I know at least one dude who would just pirate his copy if it was available on PC day one. Now he'll end up buying the PS3 version.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@greggd said:

NO AND STOP ASKING. Like seriously, people have been talking nonstop about a PC release ever since the game was announced. They act as if Rockstar has never staggered the platform releases before for a GTA game. (here's a hint, it's been like that FOREVER). Sorry. You've got a legitimate question, and that's cool, but just man. I don't think it's ever been this bad before.

Calm down and take a breath. After getting screwed out of Red Dead and them saying sweet fuck all as to why there is no PC release it's a justifiable thing to ask about. If they said anything one way or the other that would be one thing, but them not even commenting on it to even just to say go fuck yourself is why everyone wants to know. Until they comment one way or the other threads like this are going to get made every day/week until there's some word.

Ignoring the community and hoping they stop asking questions is a terrible practice that way too many devs partake in. So I support every thread trying to raise awareness on it.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

Calm down and take a breath. After getting screwed out of Red Dead and them saying sweet fuck all as to why there is no PC release it's a justifiable thing to ask about. If they said anything one way or the other that would be one thing, but them not even commenting on it to even just to say go fuck yourself is why everyone wants to know. Until they comment one way or the other threads like this are going to get made every day/week until there's some word.

Ignoring the community and hoping they stop asking questions is a terrible practice that way too many devs partake in. So I support every thread trying to raise awareness on it.

I disagree with this line of reasoning. Virtually every other Rockstar game - both before and after RDR - have come to PC after its console launch. To be doubtful of GTA V coming to PC is to completely ignore the way Rockstar has released almost every other game and to focus solely on the one time they did not make a PC version. That is just a bad bet.

Then there is also the fact that RDR was made by Rockstar San Diego and not Rock Star North. The only R* North GTA game that wasn't released on PC was China Town Wars (in which I think they only supported R* Leeds, who were the main developers).

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

@crusader8463 said:

@greggd said:

I disagree with this line of reasoning. Virtually every other Rockstar game - both before and after RDR - have come to PC after its console launch. To be doubtful of GTA V coming to PC is to completely ignore the way Rockstar has released almost every other game and to focus solely on the one time they did not make a PC version. That is just a bad bet.

Then there is also the fact that RDR was made by Rockstar San Diego and not Rock Star North. The only R* North GTA game that wasn't released on PC was China Town Wars (in which I think they only supported R* Leeds, who were the main developers).

While I agree with you, and thank you for explaining it, I'd like to add that the other two Leeds GTA games, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories, never came to PC, either. But yes, other than that, 100% accurate.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There will 100% be a PC port of GTA V, but we all may be waiting a while. The PC port for GTA IV didn't come out until over a year after the console versions. It will happen, but be patient.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Andorski
    @greggd said:

While I agree with you, and thank you for explaining it, I'd like to add that the other two Leeds GTA games, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories, never came to PC, either. But yes, other than that, 100% accurate.

Which is why I made the distinction between Rockstar San Diego, North, and Leeds. San Diego made RDR that never came to PC. Leeds has a line of GTA games that never came to PC. North has yet to develop a GTA game that has not come to PC (I wouldn't be surprised if their involvement in the R* Leeds GTA games was just giving assets from GTA III/VC). The vast majority of their games come out on PC eventually. The few exceptions are non-GTA console games - the last of which came out in 2000.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:
    @greggd said:

Which is why I made the distinction between Rockstar San Diego, North, and Leeds. San Diego made RDR that never came to PC. Leeds has a line of GTA games that never came to PC. North has yet to develop a GTA game that has not come to PC (I wouldn't be surprised if their involvement in the R* Leeds GTA games was just giving assets from GTA III/VC). The vast majority of their games come out on PC eventually. The few exceptions are non-GTA console games - the last of which came out in 2000.

So North worked on CTW? I actually never knew that.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd: They're credited as working on it on the GB Wiki. I personally don't remember hearing them working on the game when it was initially released. I only knew of Leeds.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski: That's what I thought, too. They may have only consulted, probably for aesthetics and map design. Other than that, they probably had very little to do with that game.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is to cut out the possibility of pc piracy effecting sales of the game.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen, once and for all. As a 99% PC gamer and developer.

PC releases are usually staggered by a month or more by some publishers to curb piracy. They want to have assured sales off the console versions and then be safe with releasing the PC version once they've been profitable. Most multiplatform third party publishers consider their PC sales as a nice "extra" or "boost", they don't treat it as their primary revenue source.

Whether or not you think that is really the case, that is typically the reason why.

And GTA5 will come to PC eventually, they have PC programmers on it, and people on the nvidia end have been working on it as well. Whether it comes out in a month or in a year like GTA 4 did is at the discretion of the publisher.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By noblenerf
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    @thelegendofmart said:

I played through GTA4 and its Episodes on PC a month or two ago, and I can confirm that everything in this post is true.

As GTA4 is my only reference point, it is difficult to understand what everyone sees in GTA. There is a lot of detail and "stuff" put into the game, but the game's design is thoughtless and scatterbrained. The lack of mid-mission checkpoints, and the constant back-and-forth escort missions are particular problems. On top of this, the game ran terribly on my computer. If GTA5's PC version is the Inferior Edition, there will be no reason to purchase it.

The quality of Rockstar's port will tell us exactly how many copies they expect to sell on PC.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noblenerf: You're talking about a five year old game and a four year old port. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the port in 2014. It's rare to find a shitty port and both LA Noire and Max Payne 3 were solid on PC.

You could also look how shitty the pc version of Saint's Row 2 was, which was released around the same time as GTA4, and compare it to 3 and 4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.