Here's That Grand Theft Auto V Trailer All the Kids Are Talking About

Posted by Alex (2198 posts) -

Well, that certainly was a lot of build-up for a trailer, wasn't it?

As is tradition in this industry, we've all been on our usual pins and needles waiting for this latest communique from Rockstar Games in regards to Grand Theft Auto V, and if the snapshot reaction from people around various social media platforms is any indication, folks are not disappointed.

We've heard all the bluster about the game being bigger than pretty much all the GTAs combined, and we all (hopefully) read Game Informer's in-depth feature on the various systems the game will employ. And now, we've seen the whole thing in motion, albeit in tightly edited promotional trailer form.

Still, it's a very good trailer, lighter in tone than even Grand Theft Auto is typical for. Grand Theft Auto IV was certainly funny, but this game seems to be taking on a more overtly ludicrous tone. Considering ludicrous is often what Rockstar Games does best, that perhaps bodes well for the final product.

Also, did you see that part where they were on the truck carrying cars and they started flinging cars off the truck carrying cars onto other cars? I've been waiting since Bad Boys II to do that to somebody in a video game.

So, what did you think?

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2198 posts) -

Well, that certainly was a lot of build-up for a trailer, wasn't it?

As is tradition in this industry, we've all been on our usual pins and needles waiting for this latest communique from Rockstar Games in regards to Grand Theft Auto V, and if the snapshot reaction from people around various social media platforms is any indication, folks are not disappointed.

We've heard all the bluster about the game being bigger than pretty much all the GTAs combined, and we all (hopefully) read Game Informer's in-depth feature on the various systems the game will employ. And now, we've seen the whole thing in motion, albeit in tightly edited promotional trailer form.

Still, it's a very good trailer, lighter in tone than even Grand Theft Auto is typical for. Grand Theft Auto IV was certainly funny, but this game seems to be taking on a more overtly ludicrous tone. Considering ludicrous is often what Rockstar Games does best, that perhaps bodes well for the final product.

Also, did you see that part where they were on the truck carrying cars and they started flinging cars off the truck carrying cars onto other cars? I've been waiting since Bad Boys II to do that to somebody in a video game.

So, what did you think?

Staff
#2 Posted by scallywag179 (23 posts) -

Yay

#3 Posted by TheHBK (5488 posts) -

Oh god!!!!! Yes!!!!!

#4 Posted by simkas (361 posts) -

Get your hype on

#5 Posted by uncleyams666 (2 posts) -

I need this game. Like right now.

#6 Posted by Icemo (643 posts) -

Umm, I see no video?

#7 Posted by RazielCuts (2958 posts) -

Weird embed, I cannae see!

#8 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

Looks like an awesome balance between serious storytelling and not being afraid to let shit get a little crazy. Awesome.

#9 Posted by TimmyChaw (114 posts) -

Looked better than I was expecting. I was already prepping for the graphics to not be much better, but that seemed WAY smooth. And lots of attention to detail. Cant wait...

#10 Posted by scraz (78 posts) -

Hopefully this means a hell of alot lighter tone then GTA 4.

#11 Edited by Jothel (930 posts) -

Weird embed for me, can't watch :(

*edit* worked on chrome

#12 Edited by LarryDavis (1026 posts) -

oh man is it really tommy vercetti

e: nope, at the start it sounded and looked like Ray Liotta.

#13 Posted by Ninja (535 posts) -

@RazielCuts: Och aye the noo, I cannae see either, the wee timorous beastie that it is.

#14 Posted by SonnyCheebah (36 posts) -

Oh man, that train scene.

#15 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

That black box embedded into the page is the best trailer I've seen for anything this year! Forget all those other trailers with "images" or "sound" or "video content," this one beats them ALL!

#16 Posted by BaneFireLord (2941 posts) -

Damn does that look entertaining.

#17 Posted by MX (233 posts) -

The first scene kinda reminded me of the Sopranos, the daughter really sounded like Tony Soprano's daughter. Game looks immensely fun.

#18 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@LarryDavis: Nope. First guy's name is Michael. Then Trevor. Then Franklin.

Michael probably seems similar though because he's intentionally designed as a GTA protagonist after he got out (ie what happens to one of the characters when they finally go through with all that shit they complained about the whole game). Trevor looks like a potential psycho. Franklin looks like the more traditional protagonist.

#19 Posted by Darkness2386 (29 posts) -

Oh my dear god...

#20 Posted by JaredA (824 posts) -

Well, you can consider me PUMPED for this game!

#21 Posted by Purple_eye (64 posts) -

My problem with GTA 4 was it's dull mission design (apart from the bank heist, which is the only memorable mission in the game). Seeing this trailer gives me a bit of hope, hope that people at Rockstar played Saints row the third and said "oh yeah, games are meant to be fun"

#22 Posted by Hadoken101 (794 posts) -

Is it just me or does Michael sound and look like Frank West?

#23 Posted by Wraxend (565 posts) -

Getting hyped now. Less than half a year till it's out!

#24 Posted by Antipunk217 (82 posts) -

I agree w/ Brad on the bombcast, I am actually a little bummed these characters are interchangeable at any time. I would prefer intertwining story lines, but I am no dev and we will see when the game comes out. As long as they make the driving fun again. The driving in 4 was not fun at all.

#25 Posted by Jothel (930 posts) -

oh wow that was an amazing trailer

#26 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

"Skeletons" - Stevie Wonder

We're bouncin now.

#27 Posted by Soap (3594 posts) -

Oh man, that trailer was brilliant. I need this game RIGHT NOW.

#28 Posted by Japperwokki (15 posts) -

Your lousy site has lost this video! I am sorry, but you need criticism!

#29 Posted by davo (141 posts) -

This video does not exist.

#30 Posted by Jayzilla (2563 posts) -

"We're bouncin' "

#31 Posted by xite (909 posts) -

I'd probably watch this if it was a series on HBO or something.

#32 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

"This video does not exist"

Thanks, youtube.

#33 Posted by Soapy86 (2622 posts) -

This comment does not exist.

#34 Posted by golguin (3940 posts) -

That is super 90s. I felt like part of that was Next Friday.

#35 Posted by TehBuLL (612 posts) -

This game does not exist.

#36 Posted by kishinfoulux (2347 posts) -

Oh hey it's a typical GTA trailer that really doesn't tell us what the gameplay is actually like. No idea why people get hyped for these, and I'm actually looking forward to the game too.

#37 Posted by forkboy (1154 posts) -

It looks fucking lovely. But I am wary of all the flying here. Because...well, I hated flying planes in San Andreas, I ended up putting my save file onto a GTA forum so someone else would do the Flying School shit for me. And as I'll be getting this for the 360 due to my PC being a piece of poo, I don't look forward to having to fly

@Ninja said:

@RazielCuts: Och aye the noo, I cannae see either, the wee timorous beastie that it is.

Don't mock my people! Or should that be "dinnae mock ma fowk ya swine"? Well, it would be if I spoke Scots natively, but sadly I don't as I'm from the Highland where we use Highland English. Which is basically proper English, with a few Gaelic words like dreich or bothy thrown in.

#38 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

I thought that was a great trailer, it is Rockstar as all hell, that's for sure.

Though they're nailing the movie vibe more than they have before, that could be the california setting which makes me reminiscent of hollywood movies in general, but it looks like some kind of crime comedy flick from this trailer.

God I hope the player character's son is the game's shitty LA equivalent of Brucie.

#39 Posted by CaLe (3994 posts) -

R* are in a whole other league when it comes to open world games.

#40 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

Good trailer but not great imho. Don't why but I just can't care for GTA anymore despite the extremly high quality

#41 Posted by Pr1mus (3934 posts) -

I like it, they put Uncharted into GTA, this will be great!

#42 Posted by Demoskinos (14871 posts) -

Uh......yeah. Still not excited. Sorry Rockstar.

#43 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

I was hoping for a release date, but nope.

#44 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3440 posts) -

Wow first scene did anyone else have a goodfellas moment? Sounded like Ray Liotta and Lorraine Braco in the first one.

#45 Posted by morrowjo (12 posts) -

@Antipunk217: I think that the intertwining story lines will still be a major part of it, despite being able to switch on the fly. According to Game Informer there are many missions where you will only be 1-2 of the characters. When you switch to another character after a mission, their next mission may be directly affected by your previous actions. For instance, if you steal a car in one mission with Trevor, you may find that Franklin is looking for the same car in the next mission. The thing that really excites me about this is the player will know things about to happen to other characters before they do. Like "Oh shit were walking into an ambush!" I think Brad is thinking small on this one. The stories will intertwine more than ever from what I gather from the GI article.

#46 Posted by Doombreed (17 posts) -

I think this is GTA I've been wanting to play :)

#47 Posted by CameraGuyKurt (31 posts) -

@Hadoken101: I'm choosing to believe that it is actually Frank West. This is what he got into after the whole zombie apocalypse thing. Much more hilarious that way.

#48 Posted by EDfromRED (126 posts) -
#49 Posted by kidman (470 posts) -

I am in. I was out due to GTA4's serious tone and all that. Loved SR2 and SR3 and this thing.. oh man. Can't wait.

#50 Posted by BigStupidFace (214 posts) -

OH BOY! I used to love how easily disappointed my girlfriend or my cousin was when I didn't go bowling with them, but with GTAV I am hoping I can now be a disappointment to my pet dog too! I can't wait!

*get home*

Dog: BARKEN!

Me: Sorry dog, I'm busy

Dog: sad barken

* dog meter decreases slightly *

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.