Hideo Kojima praises GTA and Rockstar

#1 Posted by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

A recent kotatsu article caught my eye earlier today.

http://kotaku.com/why-the-grand-theft-auto-v-trailer-depressed-hideo-koji-742030651

Hideo kojima praised GTA and Rockstar on twitter saying "It was awesome, way too awesome. This degree of freedom is surely the future of gaming! It's at a different level from others. To be honest, it depresses me."

and also "I don't think our V can reach that level," Kojima continued. "Though, Rockstar's devs are the best. Make no mistake, this will raise the potential of video games."

The last tweet left me confused both games look outstanding and im sure kojima can make MGS V a great game but none the less its great to see developers giving each other praise on there games.

#2 Edited by CaLe (3981 posts) -

I think if he was making a typical Metal Gear game he wouldn't feel so down after seeing the GTA V stuff. It's because he's attempting an open world game that he's feeling like that. It's understandable. I personally don't think they are similar at all, both will probably be great for entirely different reasons.

(P.S. I like how you've mistakenly called them kotatsu)

Here's a somewhat related tweet from Jake Solomon (Lead designer on XCOM)

Speaking as a designer, I have no idea how you even conceive of a game as big as GTA V. Rockstar deserves their rep. And their money.

#3 Posted by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

@cale: Totally i feel like GTA 3 and MGS games influenced the whole industry i hope the new games will influence more people to take time and perfect your game.

#4 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@cale said:

It's because he's attempting an open world game that he's feeling like that.

How do you even pull off an open world stealth game? Isn't that like making a rhythm RTS?

#5 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@cale said:

(P.S. I like how you've mistakenly called them kotatsu)

Are they not a low table covered with an electrically heated blanket?

#6 Edited by audioBusting (1532 posts) -

I feel like Kotaku's Twitter journalism is getting a bit out of hand... They publish so many "famous game dev tweets about games" stories.

#7 Posted by oodli (106 posts) -

@cale said:

How do you even pull off an open world stealth game? Isn't that like making a rhythm RTS?

Patapon?

#8 Edited by CaLe (3981 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

I have no idea, but I look forward to finding out. It's definitely an ambitious concept.

@grissefar said:

Are they not a low table covered with an electrically heated blanket?

Yeah, that's why I found it funny :p

#9 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (705 posts) -

I don't think I'd want an MGS game with a tennis minigame in it. I don't think he's got much to be worried about.

#10 Posted by CornBREDX (5238 posts) -

Kojima is praising a lot of things these days.

Weird that he said it depressed him and that he doesn't think MGS V can be as good.

It's uncommon to see such candor about your product before its out and past it's phase of money making interest.

I guess it doesn't matter. Everyone is going to play it anyway.

#11 Posted by Aegon (5586 posts) -

Yeah, it surprised me how honest Kojima was being when I saw it in my feed. I tweeted to him about MGS being awesome for different reasons and how everything he's shown of the game so far has looked great.

@oodli said:

@video_game_king said:

@cale said:

Patapon?

Ha!

#12 Edited by Sanj (2386 posts) -

He shouldn't be so hard on himself.

I mean, they have a goddamn stealth horse.

#13 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

@cale said:

@video_game_king said:

I have no idea, but I look forward to finding out. It's definitely an ambitious concept.

Like Far Cry 3 did? Yes that game is ten times more actiony than MGS5 will be, but it totally mastered the open world stealth aspect. You could run wild around the sandbox, and then engage in the game's stealth mechanics when danger was near or when you wanted to silently wipe out an enemy outpost.

#14 Edited by CaLe (3981 posts) -

@jouseldelka said:

@cale said:

@video_game_king said:

Like Far Cry 3 did? Yes that game is ten times more actiony than MGS5 will be, but it totally mastered the open world stealth aspect. You could run wild around the sandbox, and then engage in the game's stealth mechanics when danger was near or when you wanted to silently wipe out an enemy outpost.

I'm surprised Far Cry 3 didn't come to mind when I was trying to think of any open world stealth game I had played. Still, the stealth in that game wasn't the focus, just an option; a viable and enjoyable option, to be clear. I just expect a different level of focus on the stealth from a Metal Gear game, I expect a lot more intricacy to it than what was present in Far Cry 3. I hope it's not just the same countdown between alert statuses. I want something new and unique.

#15 Posted by Humanity (9193 posts) -

I always liked Kojima's enthusiasm. Seems like he would be a really cool guy to just hang with.

#16 Posted by Reisz (1491 posts) -

@humanity said:

I always liked Kojima's enthusiasm. Seems like he would be a really cool guy to just hang with.

I would love to sit down for lunch and talk movies of all things with Kojima, of course the fact that I'm not a hollywood executive or Gamedev luminary precludes that from ever happening, still my tastes are very similar, I always get the impression I'd have a lot to discuss. Now to learn Japanese and develop a beloved game franchise.

#17 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@oodli said:

@video_game_king said:

@cale said:

Patapon?

ANYTHING can be done right. Anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.