High Life - did it rope you back in?

Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) 5 months, 6 days ago

Poll: High Life - did it rope you back in? (62 votes)

Yes. 10%
No. 66%
Results. 24%

I loved GTA Online for a spell. Racing in GTA Online is one of my favorite things ever multiplayer-wise, at least as long as catch-up is turned off. There's just something about racing in a massive simulated open world that's much more attractive to me than regular racing games. I've got the high end appartment and the top competitive car of each type fully upgraded in my garage. Needless to say, I played it a lot.

Probably one third of the time I spent with GTA Online, I was lurking on these forums or watching youtube videos or something. Why? Because the matchmaking is horrendous. Chances are, I'd be sitting around waiting for a room to get going. I simply don't understand how one can sell like 40 million copies of a game, and not matchmake this playerbase properly. If GTA Online had a proper flow to it, like most online experiences do, I'd probably never stop playing it.

Tonight, I checked out the new High Life expansion. After unsuccessfully trying to get a race going for an hour, I yet again quit. For shame. Might just be my preference for Free Aim - but hot damn. Nearly a year later, and Rockstar still doesn't provide a decent matchmaking experience. It's only like the third game in a row with borked online matchmaking.

What I'm saying is, I'm out. I don't want to be, but I am. Rockstar is just too horrid a delivering a decent online experience.

#1 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

I was going to play it some more but this isn't a great week for me to play games. My PS3 is in a box at the moment. The inclusion of some UI to indicate a players propensity for killing other players sounds very nice. I wonder how I'll rate. If someone kills me I'll come back on them three or four times and blow up their car if possible, but I'm not starting any confrontations.

I don't know why you are gimping yourself with free aim matchmaking if all you are going to do is racing. I play the single player in free aim but I'd never waste my time in the multiplayer with it. The game isn't worse with auto aim, it's just different. When the combat is push the left trigger push the right trigger and you've gotten a kill then the skill isn't in aiming. It's in figuring out how the level geometry is going to funnel combatants. My win/loss in death matches was around 40-50% because I know how to sit on the perimeter of a hot zone.

#2 Posted by Yummylee (22056 posts) -

Like with all its updates, I'll check out the new stuff, spend some time in the world for like half an hour and then proceed to put it back on the shelve until the next one.

#3 Posted by MB (12722 posts) -

You know what would have pulled me back in? Online heists working within a month or so of the game's release. I'm done with GTA V and probably never going back to it.

#4 Posted by N7 (3595 posts) -

@mb said:

You know what would have pulled me back in? Online heists working within a month or so of the game's release. I'm done with GTA V and probably never going back to it.

They've got your money. The sad truth is, they don't need you to keep playing. Hell, they probably don't want you to keep playing. Less server load makes it easier for the people still hanging on.

I'm not going to lie, I only bought GTAV for the heists. Yeah, I know, "It's GTA you probably bought it for other reasons". Nope. I was ready to be blown away by their highly interactive and intuitive heists. I bought everything they sold me hook, line, sinker. And then I dealt with the online bullshit for a couple of months - while the game bugged out and merged all of the characters that the "cloud" deleted, creating this freak character that was level 1, level 1, level 1, level 1, level 1, level 1, level 1 and whatever level I actually am. For instance, this has kept me from putting a sick crew emblem on my leather jackets. And of course Rockstar's support system basically told me I am wrong and this issue was fixed months ago.

I think Grand Theft Auto online is pretty good now. The cloud seems stable, the servers seem stable, they've added a swath of content for free when they could have just as easily charged for it. I play it from time to time, usually with a podcast in my headphones and the game audio muted because that's pretty much what it has become so far, background entertainment while I listen to my backlog of three modren brothers giving modren advice. It's nice. And when heists get here, they are going to be just as disappointing as we suspect they are going to be, because they have to be at this point. But I'll play those too, and then put it down until the next update.

Who knows. That update might be the one.

#5 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -

Yeah, it's probably pretty ridiculous trying to be online at the same time as the other five people interested in GTA Online's racing.

You should try Midnight Club. It's open-worldy.

#6 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (698 posts) -

@mb said:

Yeah, Rockstar promising a fantastic co-op mode and serving a multiplayer game that is still only works at half capacity (it almost *NEVER* matches me with other people when I try to join Job playlists, which are infinitely more interesting than its online world) and feels incredibly limited in comparison to GTA IV's basic online component. Ridiculous.

#7 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

@n7 said:

@mb said:

They've got your money. The sad truth is, they don't need you to keep playing. Hell, they probably don't want you to keep playing. Less server load makes it easier for the people still hanging on.

Take Two's investors ask about when the next GTA is coming at every single investor's call. Now they're asking about when GTA Online is gonna start to see paid content. They think that GTA Online is a way to generate GTA levels of income. It's fairly obvious they want a lot of people playing. They'd just prefer it if the ARPU was higher.

#8 Posted by Nasar7 (2730 posts) -

Only bad investors ask those questions. Granted, there are a lot of them.

#9 Posted by laserguy (445 posts) -

If GTA had cool babies i would play it all day.

#10 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I booted it up, bought the new motor cycle and assault rifle, toyed with them for about 10 minutes. Then downloaded the free copy of saints row 3 from XBL gold thing.

I played ALOT of GTA:O. I think the biggest failing is them including autoaim in the game, it split the playerbase and gave you really bad autogame crap. The game got stale for me when playing freeaim you could get full freeroam lobbies easy, but try to do a race or a death match or anything really in free aim and no ones around.

#11 Posted by awesomeusername (4217 posts) -

I was going to get in on GTAO because I read there was extra RP and money this weekend but it turned out it was only for certain races and stuff so I said fuck it. On top of that, it's just to hard to go back to the Dualshock 3, that thing is an abomination after using a Dualshock 4. Ridiculous that out of all the games I still want to play or have to beat that GTA V is the oddball that doesn't support DS4. Maybe when they decide to finally put out heists I'll get back on but that's if they're fun. But I'd just prefer them to port it over to PS4. Not even the whole game, just the online component and have it be cross play with the PS3 version.

#12 Posted by Xanadu (371 posts) -

This is the kind of stuff I was hoping would originally be in GTA V online. I guess what I really wanted was for the online to be like a second campaign, almost gta 3 like, where you take mission after mission while playing a silent protagonist. Having an always online game with co-op in every mission in a gta 3 like story setting could have been enough to hook me for a long while. But given the scope of the game and how much time Rockstar puts into these games I doubt that will ever be feasibly possible.

#13 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@n7 said:

@mb said:

You are wrong. They make money off GTA Online with microtransactions. That's why they keep adding stuff for free. Those 500k apartments? Those million bucks cars? Enough people do buy them with IRL-money to make it worthwhile for them. If anything, Rockstar will release GTA Online as a stand-alone free 2 play client soon. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't port GTA V to next gen consoles, and just released GTA Online for free.

#14 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

Still waiting on heists...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.