How are you liking GTAV? How hyped were you?

#1 Edited by Zevvion (1872 posts) -

How much are you enjoying GTAV, how far in are you and how hyped were you before you started playing?

I myself am enjoying it quite a bit. ~40% completion, 18 hours in. I think the storytelling is really, really good. The presentation of that stuff is the best I've seen in an open world game so far. The voice acting is also great, dialogue is great and the weirdness of it all is also funny/cool. Minor spoiler: seeing Trevor's junk was pretty funny and nasty.

I also really like the multiple characters. It changes things up as much needed in the series for me. I also think each of the characters are great, although (at least so far) Franklin is not as interesting as Michael and Trevor.

The driving is a lot better than in IV (and much needed so). The shooting is okay, I don't think it's great, but it gets the job done. I still don't like how fighting and running/chases work though.

But besides that, I feel some of the gameplay systems are stuck in the past. AI dependacy; I waited in my car right next to an AI companion who 'must' survive and he took foreeeever to get into the car. He was killed multiple times failing the mission, once because I drove off as he set his first foot in the car and was instantly killed. There are some other weird fail states like getting 20 feet away from a vehicle you need to get and it auto-fails the mission even though you can see it in front of you not too far away and can easily get it if they just let you play.

Checkpoints are also unforgiving at times. Retrying entire missions. Also, I was stuck for hours because the always-online required SnapMatic (camera on the phone) couldn't connect to Rockstars servers and I failed the mission where I needed to take a pic of something and couldn't; stuck in an endless loop of fail due to autosave.

Anyway... yeah. I like the game. But as far as gameplay goes, I think I prefer Sleeping Dogs. Story is unmatched though.

What about you?

#2 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

I wasn't hyped at all and wasn't even going to buy it. I thought I was done with this style of game; the open world just hasn't done it for me in the past while. The quick look and Vinny stream convinced me otherwise once I saw how narrative heavy the game is and how alive the characters feel. So I caved yesterday and bought it, and I've really really been enjoying it. It feels like the GTA game I always wanted (I'm on the IV hate-train), and makes me feel like I'm in junior high playing a way better version of III. So yeah I'm having a great time with it!

#3 Edited by project343 (2825 posts) -

Wasn't hyped at all. I'm enjoying it. Open world crime games aren't really my cup of tea (though I do enjoy the shenanigans of Saints Row), but I think the production values make the game for me. Those character animations and euphoria physics make the world feel so alive. It's fucking unbelievable.

Is it in my Game of the Year list so far? Ya. Top 10 for sure. We'll see if it can make it to top 5, but so far that isn't the case.

#4 Posted by horseman6 (393 posts) -

Wasn't hyped at all as I didn't like GTA IV. I should have gone with my instincts and waited for the PC version. It's an awful, awful, awful game. It doesn't feel much different than GTA IV and has almost all of the same problems coupled with a bunch of severely unlikable characters. I already sold it used and might try again when it comes out on the PC. At least I won't have to deal with the terrible framerate on top of everything else. It's a 1 star game for me.

#5 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (5036 posts) -

10/10

#6 Posted by kadash299 (279 posts) -

@horseman6: As someone who owns the game, I can't help but feel that this is a troll.

#7 Posted by Korwin (2864 posts) -

Not very, and I haven't played it yet and probably won't until the PC flavour is out there. That being said the Michael trailer from a few months ago did a fine job of getting Radio Ga Ga stuck in my head...

#8 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

I was very hyped for the game and am enjoying it a ton.

#9 Edited by Pr1mus (3908 posts) -

6 stars wanted level worth of hype going in. So far, 30% in, the game is delivering and then some. It's awesome.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11905 posts) -

Well, about the same time I got control of Michael, I decided to go steal a plane, crash it into a mountain, steal a motorcycle, ride up and then jump off of a different mountain. I landed in a village full of naked men that started shooting me, high-tailed it out of there, and drove back to the city with the cops on my tail, successfully destroying three cars. Somewhere along the line I also smoked weed and shot some hallucinated aliens.

If I wasn't satisfied, then I'd be clinically insane.

For the record, I spent quite some time pondering pre-ordering this. I didn't know if an open world game that lacks the fighting of Sleeping Dogs or the craziness of SR3 or the '80's action movie awesomeness of Just Cause 2 could actually be fun and entertaining. For a little while there, that feeling was coming true - but then I finally decided to go do stupid shit and have been pretty damn satisfied thus far.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (24783 posts) -

Wasn't hyped at all as I didn't like GTA IV. I should have gone with my instincts and waited for the PC version. It's an awful, awful, awful game. It doesn't feel much different than GTA IV and has almost all of the same problems coupled with a bunch of severely unlikable characters. I already sold it used and might try again when it comes out on the PC. At least I won't have to deal with the terrible framerate on top of everything else. It's a 1 star game for me.

If you hate it that much, why would you buy it twice?

#12 Edited by PSNgamesun (408 posts) -

I love it, it feels like a updated version of San Andreas but with a better story and gameplay. It has the perfect amount of crazy(not too over the top which I like) and the sense of freedom feels awesome the world is indeed alive. The gameplay feels solid and the fighting ain't no Sleeping Dogs but its a step up from gta4 and the driving was weird at first(I think it's because I had not played a gta game for like 2 years) then I got used to it and I'm now really digging it. Overall I've only gotten to the point where Trevor meets up with Mike but so far it's real fun and great.

#13 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -

Loving the gameplay. The world is massive and exploring it is a blast, especially now that you can switch between three characters.

Not feeling the story too much though. I feel like the writers aren't as clever as they think they are.

#14 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -

I had a high expectations and it somehow exceeded them.

#15 Posted by McLargepants (380 posts) -

I was pretty hyped for it, and so far I've really enjoyed it so far. Switching characters is totally awesome, though only a few hours in I feel like they could have made an entire game for Trevor and I would be totally into it. It plays a lot better than 4, obviously, but it does take some getting used to. I wish it played a little more like Sleeping Dogs, but outside of that the game has been fantastic so far!

#16 Posted by horseman6 (393 posts) -

@hailinel: because 60 fps would significantly help the a lot of the gameplay issues, plus i can mod the crap out of it.

#17 Edited by horseman6 (393 posts) -

@kadash299: i also own the game and its not a troll post. I despised gta iv, and i feel the same way about gta v. I put about 6 hours into v and i just cant deal with it anymore. The gameplay advancements that other games made, like those in saints row sleeping dogs should be built on. We shouldnt be forced to go backwards. In the six hours that i played gta v there wasnt a single moment that matched anything in saints row 3 and 4. I could rattle off about 30 bad design choices in gta v. Give it a few months, people will be ragging on gta v just like they did iv.

#18 Posted by wemibelec90 (1662 posts) -

No hype whatsoever, and I haven't gotten around to it yet. Have a few things to finish up (Tales of Xillia, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, Rayman Legends) before I want to buy any more games. Wasn't going to buy it at all until I saw the Quick Look, which predictably got me a bit interested in playing it, as almost every Quick Look manages to do. I'm sure I'll play it in the next month or two.

#19 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

I'm still very early. I've maybe done about 5 main missions and about 5 freaks-whatever missions. But I'm a little torn. Besides one or two missions I've found the missions boring and tedious. The writing is shit. It's unfunny, it's predictable, and just so obvious. The talk radio is painfully unfunny. It's like the writing is trying so fucking hard to be cool and failing so fucking hard.

That said, it looks really nice, I like the soundtrack, at times the missions are neat (one or two of the 10 I've done anyway) and the driving is much better. And, rarely, the writing works. But holy shit is it rare. I'm still playing and will play to the end. But God almighty am I not really digging it so far.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

I wasn't THAT hyped. I didn't watch much footage of the game, and just figured "It's a GTA game, it's probably going to be pretty great and I'm going to play it no matter what," even though I wasn't that excited to. I didn't have anything going on Monday night, and I had Tuesday off, so a friend and I went to the 24/7 Walmart at like 12:45 and grabbed a copy. I just finished the second heist and guess what- it's pretty great. I suppose so far, if I was going to make a premature GOTY list, it'd be #3 (because god damn, The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite were both just outstanding). GTAV is pretty great.

#21 Posted by TheHT (11250 posts) -

@kadash299:Give it a few months, people will be ragging on gta v just like they did iv.

I dunno dude, everything I've seen and heard about it makes it seem like the next-gen sequel to San Andreas I always wanted.

#22 Posted by TruthTellah (9074 posts) -

I... wasn't interested in it in the least, but man, I've enjoyed watching others playing it. When you just stick to the story missions, it's kind of great. I really like the characters, and it has a nice light-heartedness to it. Even without getting my hands on it yet, I can tell it's a big improvement over GTA IV. This was completely off my radar despite all of the hype, but to be honest, it really seems to be an interesting and charming game.

#23 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

I'm still very early. I've maybe done about 5 main missions and about 5 freaks-whatever missions. But I'm a little torn. Besides one or two missions I've found the missions boring and tedious. The writing is shit. It's unfunny, it's predictable, and just so obvious. The talk radio is painfully unfunny. It's like the writing is trying so fucking hard to be cool and failing so fucking hard.

That said, it looks really nice, I like the soundtrack, at times the missions are neat (one or two of the 10 I've done anyway) and the driving is much better. And, rarely, the writing works. But holy shit is it rare. I'm still playing and will play to the end. But God almighty am I not really digging it so far.

Can you point me in a direction of a game with exceptional writing? Because I'm kind of liking GTAV and while it's certianly not a masterpiece, I haven't found any part of it cringe-worthy. I'd like to see a make a comparison to something really outstanding because I definitely don't think it's shit.

#24 Edited by horseman6 (393 posts) -

@theht: people always initiate massive hype for these big franchises but there is always backlash once the hype wears off. Happened to gta iv and it will happen to this game too.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Can you point me in a direction of a game with exceptional writing? Because I'm kind of liking GTAV and while it's certianly not a masterpiece, I haven't found any part of it cringe-worthy. I'd like to see a make a comparison to something really outstanding because I definitely don't think it's shit.

It's when they are trying to be funny it's so unfunny. Or when they are being dramatic or build these character traits and the writing is so...I don't know how to put it besides obvious. Like when Michael and Franklin talk when at Michael's pool. It's like they took the idea of an older mobster guy and a younger mobster guy and said 'oh yeah they'd say things like this'. It doesn't feel natural. Michael sounds like he's describing the synopsis of his character when talking to Franklin. Rockstar does this in a lot of their games but for some reason in this particular game it's bothering me more.

In terms of funny writing something like Psychonauts, which isn't really funny but it's charming, felt more natural in it's writing. Last of Us handles character and dramatic writing much more naturally. That's what it is really. GTA V's writing feels unnatural and forced. It feels really heavily written.

#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@jasonr86:

OK, sure, I'll definitely agree that The Last of Us is on another level, but for a game with as much dialogue as GTAV has in it (and there is a TON), I'm still impressed with how much I like of what the characters have to say- especially Trevor. I looked up one of my favorite early moments on YouTube, the part where the biker says; "Johnny ain't gonna be cool if you're messin' with her again" and Trevor replies; "Oh really? What, you don't think so? Huh? Well, why don't we just ask him then, huh? Hey! Hey, cowboy! You mind that I fucked your old lady?! Sorry?! What was that? What? No? No, you don't mind? Oh, because you're a dead man? And the only sentient part of you left is the little bit of brain in the gristle on the end of my boot?!"

I just think Trevor's freakouts are really great- even if they're not masterfully written, the delivery is pretty good. I like the way the gang-bangers talk to Franklin too, and how Franklin responds, mostly because of how, uh, realistic it it is.

#27 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@jasonr86:

OK, sure, I'll definitely agree that The Last of Us is on another level, but for a game with as much dialogue as GTAV has in it (and there is a TON), I'm still impressed with how much I like of what the characters have to say- especially Trevor. I looked up one of my favorite early moments on YouTube, the part where the biker says; "Johnny ain't gonna be cool if you're messin' with her again" and Trevor replies; "Oh really? What, you don't think so? Huh? Well, why don't we just ask him then, huh? Hey! Hey, cowboy! You mind that I fucked your old lady?! Sorry?! What was that? What? No? No, you don't mind? Oh, because you're a dead man? And the only sentient part of you left is the little bit of brain in the gristle on the end of my boot?!"

I just think Trevor's freakouts are really great- even if they're not masterfully written, the delivery is pretty good. I like the way the gang-bangers talk to Franklin too, and how Franklin responds, mostly because of how, uh, realistic it it is.

I haven't gotten to Trevor yet. Like I said I'm really early. But just the issues I have with the writing might just be with me and I get it. But Franklin is clearly tied to other Compton-like movies, shows, music, etc. and Michael is just so unnatural and all of the side characters, minus maybe the car dealer, are just caricatures and they know they are caricatures and I get they are supposed to be caricatures but they are just so painfully obviously caricatures and so amazingly unfunny. Christ. The running lady? The marijuana guy and that mission? Michael's son? Good God. It's like they are all Mad TV characters.

#28 Posted by RonGalaxy (3166 posts) -

10/10, would bang

#29 Posted by benpicko (2008 posts) -

Loving it but really hope they announce a PS4/PC version soon

#30 Edited by Ares42 (2663 posts) -

Wasn't especially hyped, and I'm having an ok time with it. It just seems to me like GTA is starting to steer into the same corner as Mario Kart, the first one you play is amazing and then every single one after that is just another iteration while that magic is gone. I spent a stupid amount of time with Vice City and absolutely loved it, but for every GTA that has come out after my enjoyment of them has waned. And that's just looking at the franchise in a vacuum. If you compare it to all the other great open-world games we've seen since GTA 3 it feels stuck in a rut.

#31 Edited by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I have to admit I haven't had the time to play much, but so far it feels like a tighter, faster paced gta, which is really what I wanted. The tone seems a bit more of a parody, which I'm not sure where I fall on yet. I really enjoyed GTAIV's gritty tone and well built characters, so I'm hoping this game can deliver some of that too.

#32 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I'm absolutely enjoying the shit out of it. It's completely living up to my hype for it and i was SUPER hyped. It's easily my GOTY (i'm waiting till x-mas for next-gen so yeah...)

Writing, story and character-wise its easily the best GTA. Also the best GTA gameplay-wise and openworld activity-wise. I played a pretty good tennis mini-game and had a bunch of fun doing so yesterday for like 45 minutes! I'll try golf tomorrow!

If they announce next-gen / PC versions....yeah i'll buy a second copy.

Man it gets dark at some points torture mini-games YAY! rotate right stick to rip the guys tooth out! :D

#33 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Didn't give it much thought before picking it up on launch day, loving the return to form with the story and missions. I'm all for well written serious stories but Nico's wasn't one, it felt more heavy handed and about as relatable as straight up parody. I remember GTA as mowing down Hare Krishna with a pickup truck and breaking display windows in the Vice City mall but wouldn't mind a complete change of tone if R* committed to it.

#34 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -

@jasonr86: I agree with you 100%.

It's like these guys watched some classic crime movies or tv shows and completely failed to understand what made their stories great.

#35 Edited by AlecOfTheWest (279 posts) -

Extremely hyped. And yeah, it's the best game of this generation, followed closely by RDR.

#36 Posted by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

I wasn't hyped for the entire year until a couple weeks from GTA V release. when I actually got super excited for no reason out of the blue and binge-played GTA IV again (never finished it, got way further this time, but again, couldn't finish it before V was out)

So far I love the shit out of this game. And there's this weird phenomenon that happens to me every once in a while with awesome games, where I want to play it all the time, but I don't want to progress too fast because I kinda wish the game would go on forever (not possible or a true sentiment, it's just the honeymoon phase).

#37 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1419 posts) -

I went from being not hyped to very hyped near the release after seeing some story stuff. I really liked the game, the story was presented in an interesting and cool way. I liked the missions, dialogue, and character's, Trevor is really amazing for thinking lizard people exist and going psycho at any moment. Also i would like to point out that free aim felt good if the shooting stat was up high....i dont know why jeff didnt like it, cant imagine playing the game with a lock on. But yeah really fun way to spend 27+ hours so far.

#38 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

I was super hyped going in, and so far (Done about 16 of the missions) it's pretty good, but I'm not blown away yet. I've done the first few Trevor missions so I still have a while to go, but the more I play the more I enjoy it, the first heist was amazing. Doubt it'll knock off The Last of Us though.

#39 Edited by TWISTEDH34T (51 posts) -

I wasn't really that hyped to be honest. I had only played GTA4 in the past. (on the PC and I personally thought it wasn't a very good port. All my hardware was newer than the game so I ran in to a few problems to say the least.) But when I heard how hyped my friends were I decided to pick it up and I'm having a pretty good time. It's not without its flaws though:

I don't like the notifications showing up about how I could use the iPhone app that won't let me sign in and resets my progress with Chop, the prompts asking where I want to save my autosaves after I do something in-game on the 360, and I wish owning cars was more like Saints Row 3 so I could hoard them.

But other than that I'm really enjoying myself.

#40 Posted by Vic2point0 (42 posts) -

I was very disappointed with GTA 5, and I actually wasn't even hyped about it (after playing 4). But then, Sleeping Dogs definitely raised my standards when it came out. Haven't enjoyed GTA all that much since.

#41 Posted by oobs (339 posts) -

i was pretty disappointed with the whole game.. the story was not very interesting..its the same story with all of these games why not try something like going from being a cop to a criminal or something just something different. instead of the usual storyline. and some new side activties also would be good

#42 Posted by Tarsier (1064 posts) -

i had 0 expectations and it blew me away even with the end of the generation. gta 5 is the best console game available right now, it does a lot of next generation things better than anything on next gen consoles does. i would love to see it on the ps4 at some point. but im enjoying it on ps3 a lot now

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.