Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

How realistic is GTA V?

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How realistic is GTA V really?Because I mean GTA IV felt so real the city felt alive and everyone seemed like they were doing something.I dont have a console so yeah

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Cramsy

It's a very lively and colourful world to hang out in, like GTA IV

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My life is like a GTA game

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's like playing a documentary.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Sooty

As realistic as a video game can get it: It isn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It does not feel realistic, but moments on the street feel evocative and organic.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheHumanDove

when you shoot stuff it dies or explodes usually

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By sammo21

I will say it does a better job of handling pedestrian dialogue. That was always the thing that annoyed the piss out of me in any open world game was how every single person walking around just yells the dumbest stuff for no reason at all and it repeats. GTA V does a better job of this. You get away with a lot more violent crime before the cops are "called" and in general you can kill tons of people before there are any consequences.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I guess if those are the things you're going by, then yes it's totally better in all those regards.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dungbootle

It's pretty much the same as my everyday life

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It feels alive.

A-LIIIVEE!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigjeffrey

I actually felt like i was walking around in LA. It fucking blew my mind and i had to throw my xbox out the window and piss on it.

Vladd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha hilarious comments.

I think it's the small details that makes it "realistic".

If you have a supercar parked and you standing by it, NPC's will actually ask you if they can take a photo of the car.
    If you drive around in it, people will take pictures of it.

Plus the cars are so well done the game feels like a tribute to cars.

I like cars ;).

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How realistic is GTA V really?Because I mean GTA IV felt so real the city felt alive and everyone seemed like they were doing something.I dont have a console so yeah

Short answer, yes, just as realistic as GTA IV, and by far the most real feeling open world game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@cramsy said:

We must have played different GTA IV's. That game was gray and brown incarnate.

GTA V is vastly superior in that regard.

@sooty said:

I think he might be talking about aesthetics, and GTA V does look fairly realistic. It's impressive that this game is on a console.

In terms of the things you do, it's not realistic at all. You smoke pot and then start shooting aliens. You later get a funny drink from Michael's son and then skydive in your underwear out of an alien spaceship.

Franklin can slow down time and turn cars on a di... man, that fucking sucks.

jdubintexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you enjoyed IV's environmental "realism", V builds on that. Nothing groundbreaking, but they've made some improvements, and you will probably enjoy it. The ambient sounds seem improved as well.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

In terms of the things you do, it's not realistic at all. You smoke pot and then start shooting aliens.

Tell that to these aliens that have me pinned down in my apartment.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not very realistic, it treats Franklin like he was white. Go Redguard in good old Morrowind, the best of the Elder Scrolls games, and see how it could have been handled more realistically.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@rafaelfc said:

Exactly what I was going to post, if this thread wasn't 7 months old.

xXHesekielXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

Word on that!

MarvinPontiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you're not ghostriding a cop car into a stripper, the general walking around the city feels very real. Busy streets have great sound design. I also like going for a drive on the highway when it's raining. They nailed the weather sounds and the sky perfectly. The beach and pier are also spot on.

Also, the basic character movement is hugely improved from IV. It's fun to just walk around like a normal human being. Transitioning from running to a jog to walking is very seamless, and walking up stairs / slopes looks really good.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@cramsy said:

We must have played different GTA IV's. That game was gray and brown incarnate.

GTA V is vastly superior in that regard.

@sooty said:

I think he might be talking about aesthetics, and GTA V does look fairly realistic. It's impressive that this game is on a console.

In terms of the things you do, it's not realistic at all. You smoke pot and then start shooting aliens. You later get a funny drink from Michael's son and then skydive in your underwear out of an alien spaceship.

Franklin can slow down time and turn cars on a di... man, that fucking sucks.

Stupid me, not picking up on fucking sarcasm. Also I have no idea what I was getting at with that last line.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Crembaw

@brodehouse said:

It does not feel realistic, but moments on the street feel evocative and organic.

This just about describes it. Speaking as a (fellow?) Californian, the scenery and NPCs do a spot-on job painting the huge dichotomies that define this state. Phenomenal wealth and abysmal destitution, breathtaking natural beauty and intimidating urbanization, the omnipresence of both Celebrities and Nobodies everywhere you go, and on top of it all, terrible fucking radio stations. It's a shame the game fails to deliver on the promises its environment makes to the player.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It's a real life simulator.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@crembaw said:

@brodehouse said:

This just about describes it. Speaking as a (fellow?) Californian, the scenery and NPCs do a spot-on job painting the huge dichotomies that define this state. Phenomenal wealth and abysmal destitution, breathtaking natural beauty and intimidating urbanization, the omnipresence of both Celebrities and Nobodies everywhere you go, and on top of it all, terrible fucking radio stations. It's a shame the game fails to deliver on the promises its environment makes to the player.

Nah, I'm from Winnipeg. Let's see Winnipeg rendered with a 280 million budget! Oh wait that's more than everything in Winnipeg cost to build.

What I remember most from GTA are those unscripted moments that come across so real. I have these absolute bullet-proof memories of situations that struck me as very true-to-life. Getting in a cab and listening to latin rap while my cabbie spends three minutes trying to merge. I finished some mission that ended with Michael being chewed out by his wife, so I got him drunk and wandered around downtown past midnight, pissed off, checking my phone occasionally. I left a strip club with Franklin and took two lefts and found myself in a deserted parking lot under a freeway, and found a sleeping homeless person. Strolling down my block as Franklin, having my neighbors sitting on their stoop calling "Ay yo Franklin!" The stupid scumbag hipster girl who works at the thrift clothing store, oh my God, she's so true-to-life I want to slingshot her into the sun. Leaving the city and finding hick small towns with dirt roads (which actually reminds me of rural Manitoba) and seeing county sheriffs offices rather than police precincts. I remember playing my GTA Online character (her name's Michelle D and she gets respect, your cash and your jewelry is what she expects) and racing a guy out to some dock in Northern San Andreas, stopping to take a selfie in front of the water.

I'm excited for that game on PS4. Half of why I like it so much is how well its rendered, and adding more detail can only make the effect stronger.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

All sarcasm aside, I think they should have toned down how much damage is done to the player.Seriously in a shoot-out with cops,even with full health/armor, you are still fucking dead before it even starts.

Guy_Bull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigboss1911: So you would want to play a game where you control yourself through a controller, can only do what the game tells you to, have to fight multiple guys at once, with a health bar that gets damned every time someone hit you?

There's a line between realistic and just annoying.

And this game is excellent, even the strippers and pretty realistic (try it lol, saves money)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.