Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Is GTA V's Driving Model More Realistic than Gran Turismo's/Forza's?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Seppli

Poll Is GTA V's Driving Model More Realistic than Gran Turismo's/Forza's? (208 votes)

More realistic than Gran Tursimo. 0%
    More realistic than Forza. 0%
    More realistic than both. 4%
    More realistic than Forza, but not Gran Turismo. 0%
    More realistic than Gran Turismo, but not Forza. 2%
    What are you smoking? Just no! 84%
    Show results. 9%

This was the topic of a discussion I witnessed in a GTA Online racing lobby.

What say you?

• 
    jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I felt it to be a little arcadey so no!..........Though i am interested for people to compare the driving in GT6 and Forza V.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon

More realistic than both. Why not? My rationale is about as sound as the reasoning behind this poll.

At least GTA is fun.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's not as fun, that's for damn sure

Look, I don't race and I don't know much about cars, but it doesn't seem like GTAV's car handling is particularly realistic at all.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

It's incredibly arcadey, especially in regards to GTA IV where every car felt like a brick on wheels.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No, you can pull off all sorts of crazy stuff that you can't do in real life or (I assume) Forza or Gran Turismo. Not that the driving in GTA V is SUPER crazy, but it's not that realistic.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

wut

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well in real life if I hit another car head-on I'm unlikely to be sent airborne over it doing multiple flips and turns in the air only to land and race away so I'm gonna go with no.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

lol

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha, I laughed out loud. Thanks for that.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bigjeffrey

Yes, the driving physics in GTA shit on Grand Turismo.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee
    @pie said:

wut

Seriously. Though the driving's still fantastic, and it manages to pull of the perfect balance of making the vehicles feel like they have some sort of 'realistic' weight to them while also being incredibly fun and accessible to drive. Rockstar basically perfected the sort of model they tried with GTA IV, which I also still enjoyed a huge amount all the same.

It's perfectly suitable for a lot of really intense races, but at the same time allows you to flip your car around in the air after driving over a hill. Besides helicopters, all the vehicles in the game handle amazingly. Bicycles in particular are just so much fun, especially when it comes to bunny hopping on speeding traffic/players, which can potentially send you high into the air.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It is really good I think the driving is amazing and Fun, like a sim that is more about fun which is what it is, Which is really good because there is A lot of driving in that game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Seppli

In its extremes, GTA V is very unrealistic, but I feel like many situations that would happen in real life happen in neither Gran Turismo nor Forza, but do happen exactly as they would in GTA V - especially when it comes to collisions and jumps (outside of air control of course) - generally all manner of fuck-ups.

So I voted for *more realistic than both*, just because it allows for such things to happen, where-as Forza, and to a much greater extent Gran Turismo, do not.

I've played neither franchises' latest iterations, and especially not Forza Horizon, which seems to be setup to deliver exactly the kind of racing experiences GTA Online does facilitate. I'm just going off my very dated experiences with these franchises.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I don't even play racing games and I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

lol, nah son.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By CaLe

Absolutely. The cars in GTA handle exactly how I want them to, like they are an extension of my body. Cars in simulators, on the other hand, require me to assimilate to them in order to get to a point where we enjoy a mind-body connection. I think R* nailed the driving controls with V. NAILED THEM TO THE FUCKING WALL.

But I must say, there is nothing realistic about driving a car with a controller. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves, utterly beyond the pale.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HerbieBug

Hell no. And also, what in the actual fuck?

Sometimes people recoil at the physics in driving sim-likes (like Forza and GT) because they are not putting together the velocity and inertia involved in racing conditions in their minds correctly. You cruise into a turn at a leisurely (for those games) 60mph and immediately call BULLSHIT when you car does not make the turn, shoots right past it going more or less straight or spinning out directly into the wall. You accuse the game of unrealistic tank controls or some such.

The reason for that reaction is as much to do with the lack of sense of speed you get going 60mph in a racing game as it does not paying any attention to the what the speedometer on the HUD is saying. No car can take a short corner at 60mph. Not even Indy cars. In some cases you can exit the corner at something approaching that speed, but you cannot ever enter into it going that fast. You run into Newton's laws real quick when the vehicle you're piloting relies entirely on gravity and the friction of rubber to maintain control. The road needs to be angled up into a berm to make it possible to do so.

edit--- this is also exacerbated by the AI in some racing games. Sometimes racing game AI does not actually run on the same physics engine as the player. The AI in that case absolutely can take corners faster that it would be possible for the player to do in the same car, even driving the optimal line at the optimal speed. So you see that and think, well that's also bullshit, the controls are broken, etc.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Milkman

I'm going to have to go with a resounding no on that one.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted more realistic than both because this poll is dumb.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There's too little drifting for it to be arcadey. I like what they did. I really didn't find it much different than IV (which people said they hated) and this one (which more said they liked). I think the offroading physics made it more forgiving for that kind of stuff but otherwise it was pretty similar.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a person who has driven a car, I can confirm that none of these games really feel anything similar to what it is actually like driving a car. But that probably has a whole lot more to do with the controller. Though, even racing wheels never feel quite right.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason for that reaction is as much to do with the lack of sense of speed you get going 60mph in a racing game as it does not paying any attention to the what the speedometer on the HUD is saying. No car can take a short corner at 60mph. Not even Indy cars. In some cases you can exit the corner at something approaching that speed, but you cannot ever enter into it going that fast. You run into Newton's laws real quick when the vehicle you're piloting relies entirely on gravity and the friction of rubber to maintain control. The road needs to be angled up into a berm to make it possible to do so.

This is probably the best answer I've heard for the reason these games don't feel quite right. You don't feel like you're moving as quickly as the game is telling you, compared to real life driving where it is very apparent how quickly you are moving.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

No, and that is why I hate that everyone I know races so goddamn much!

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the OP:

Can you... drive?

Driving in GTA is NOTHING like driving a real car and in no way more realistic than either of the other games you mentioned. You can turn your car 180 degrees in GTA with just a slight pump of the break. It's GREAT for driving in the game, because you can easily do what you want. But that's not the way real cars operate.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: yep. I actually first noticed this playing a flight simulator a while back. I had flown with my older brother in a cessna with his instructor doing the coaching prior, so I got a feel for the sense of speed involved in person in that type of plane. Later that day i loaded the exact same model of plane into MS Flight and took off from the same airfield. Totally different feeling of relative speed. It felt like I was crawling forward in slow motion in the game, when in person I knew from having done the same thing for real earlier that day that things felt much much faster at the same speed.

I've a couple ideas why this is, and I imagine it's a combination of several and more I haven't thought of:

-your peripheral vision plays a major role. no peripheral view in games unless you use chase cam, but that's also it's own speed sense changing thing. Using cockpit cam in games is like driving from the backseat of a car with the side windows blacked out.

-lack of accurate/complete force feedback. vibration of the car's engine, the tires on the road, the sound of the wind, the sound of other cars around you. No game gets even close to the complete sensory experience of driving a vehicle in that way.

-games usually create sense of speed by blurring the sides of the screen and slightly changing the FOV so that it feels like the car is pulling away from you towards the road ahead. You really can't do stuff like that at normal highway speeds in those games because the visual trick is only good for indicating that you're now going about as fast as the game allows.

Stuff like this is part of the reason I'm so interested in seeing the Oculus Rift become a success. If somebody can make a game that gives you an accurate to reality field of view sitting in the driver's seat of a car, that will be a huge innovation for driving games and the way they feel to play in future.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: yep. I actually first noticed this playing a flight simulator a while back. I had flown with my older brother in a cessna with his instructor doing the coaching prior, so I got a feel for the sense of speed involved in person in that type of plane. Later that day i loaded the exact same model of plane into MS Flight and took off from the same airfield. Totally different feeling of relative speed. It felt like I was crawling forward in slow motion in the game, when in person I knew from having done the same thing for real earlier that day that things felt much much faster at the same speed.

I've a couple ideas why this is, and I imagine it's a combination of several and more I haven't thought of:

-your peripheral vision plays a major role. no peripheral view in games unless you use chase cam, but that's also it's own speed sense changing thing. Using cockpit cam in games is like driving from the backseat of a car with the side windows blacked out.

-lack of accurate/complete force feedback. vibration of the car's engine, the tires on the road, the sound of the wind, the sound of other cars around you. No game gets even close to the complete sensory experience of driving a vehicle in that way.

-games usually create sense of speed by blurring the sides of the screen and slightly changing the FOV so that it feels like the car is pulling away from you towards the road ahead. You really can't do stuff like that at normal highway speeds in those games because the visual trick is only good for indicating that you're now going about as fast as the game allows.

Stuff like this is part of the reason I'm so interested in seeing the Oculus Rift become a success. If somebody can make a game that gives you an accurate to reality field of view sitting in the driver's seat of a car, that will be a huge innovation for driving games and the way they feel to play in future.

Yeah, even that old arcade game Lamborghini, or whatever, by Sega, that had 3 monitors slightly pitched around your head so you could have peripheral vision, made a huge difference.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seppli

@jazgalaxy said:

To the OP:

Can you... drive?

Driving in GTA is NOTHING like driving a real car and in no way more realistic than either of the other games you mentioned. You can turn your car 180 degrees in GTA with just a slight pump of the break. It's GREAT for driving in the game, because you can easily do what you want. But that's not the way real cars operate.

Guess you've never spun out in real life. I have. All it takes is a little fuck-up with the brakes going too fucking fast. Which people do in racing games all the fucking time, especially in games like Gran Turismo and Forza.

We're not discussing if it's realistic or not, we are discussing if it's more realistic than Gran Turismo and/or Forza. As far as fuck-ups are concerned, I feel like GTA is a great deal more realistic than those games.

Loading Video...

These kind of things happen in GTA V all the time, whilst they never really occur in the likes of Gran Turismo, and to a lesser extent the Forza games.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikeJFlick

GTAIV was getting close to how real cars handle, GTAV's is backwards in favor of an arcade style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.