Jeff Gerstmann Adam Sessler and Chris Plante talk about GTAV

• 98 results
#51 Posted by ch3burashka (5009 posts) -

I watched the IGN spoiler cast because it had Trevors voice actor Steven Ogg. Steven Ogg is a cool dude.

Steven Flac is cooler.

#52 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

When I first saw the therapist, I thought it was Allan Arbus. He played Dr. Freedman on the show M.A.S.H.. But he's dead, the voice actor is Bryan Scott Johnson. It fucked me up a little seeing and hearing him.

Here's an eulogy of Allan Arbus by Ken Levine, not that one, a screenwriter.

As for the other fucks dicking on Chris Plante, he made perfect sense. Enjoyed the conversation with all three.

#53 Posted by Veektarius (4585 posts) -

I didn't like Chris Plante's voice much, but even if he might have said a couple things poorly, I didn't find his presence as objectionable as others seem to feel.

#54 Posted by budgietheii (155 posts) -

Wow, pretty crazy how you guys have over-reacted to someone you disagree with.

#55 Posted by joshwent (2112 posts) -

Pam Greer is the strongest female in the game..

Damn right, shuga. ;)

#56 Edited by NPfeifer (172 posts) -

I didn't mind Chris.

I guess it's no surprise though that as video game journalists, they couldn't - as others have pointed out - highlight how disjointed and bad the story was. The torture scene/Azerbaijan assassination felt completely out of place and were only given limp justification. Only Michael's arc comes anywhere near a resolution. People appear out of nowhere and then disappear only to justify mission setups. Etc.

#57 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

@npfeifer said:

I guess it's no surprise though that as video game journalists, they couldn't - as others have pointed out - highlight how disjointed and bad the story was. The torture scene/Azerbaijan assassination felt completely out of place and were only given limp justification. Only Michael's arc comes anywhere near a resolution. People appear out of nowhere and then disappear only to justify mission setups. Etc.

Right, because it's not just a matter of opinion or anything. And you're way smarter than them too.

You realize the point of the whole torture and assassination part IS that it isn't justified, right? And it serves no purpose?

#58 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

Too bad this threads just complaining about Plante because I thought he was pretty subdued and it was an even discussion of the game. People really can't handle just hearing opinions you may object to brought up? Just relax.

I loved what Sessler had to say, and Jeff as well about it being like a black action comedy. From that angle I find some of the "controversial" elements hardly worth even looking at (I'm not an outraged type person anyways, but in this game I think the tone says it all).

#59 Posted by Humanity (8805 posts) -

@artisanbreads: right because you obviously know exactly what Houser was thinking when he wrote that mission.

In all seriousness and snark aside I think it was a bad mission in that they didn't have to go as far as to make you choose the torture tools. First time in ages I felt mildly uncomfortable and kind of unwilling to go through with it - and I don't buy the whole "no no it's meant to highlight what a psycho Trevor is man like you're totally supposed to feel uncomfortable that's the point!"

#60 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

@humanity said:

@artisanbreads: right because you obviously know exactly what Houser was thinking when he wrote that mission.

In all seriousness and snark aside I think it was a bad mission in that they didn't have to go as far as to make you choose the torture tools. First time in ages I felt mildly uncomfortable and kind of unwilling to go through with it - and I don't buy the whole "no no it's meant to highlight what a psycho Trevor is man like you're totally supposed to feel uncomfortable that's the point!"

But it is meant to show you how crazy Trevor is and how pointless torture is... so I don't get what there is to say about that scene really. It's supposed to be shocking. I don't think it was pulled off expertly but the whole point is highlighting how bad Trevor can be (and then show compassion afterwards to the person he tortures) and how bumbling and wasteful the FIB is.

I enjoy playing as Trevor, but it's funny to see people trying to say him being pretty awful is out of character... he just is at times. At moments he gets pushed a little bit and then he flies off the handle. Did it with Johnny, did it here, does it in the apartment in Vespucci. You say "you don't buy it".... well it's exactly what they do multiple times with his character, so I'm not sure why you don't. Johnny was easily my favorite character in IV and the beginning of Trevor in V is him brutally murdering that character, and the two biggest from L&D right afterward. If that doesn't set up Trevor as a bad guy I'm not sure people are paying attention. I've read or heard people say the torture turned them on Trevor or pushed them too far, but that happened right away with him for me and I think that's the point. Maybe no one else played Lost and Damned?

I like Trevor. It's a videogame and I can enjoy playing as a bad guy who happens to be very funny and charming.

#62 Posted by RavenousJoker (50 posts) -

I can not wait to watch this video, I will most likely watch it after my day is over and I head back home.

#63 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@mbr2 said:

This thread cements the fact that the Giant Bomb community is no better than /v/, IGN, Gamespot, Something Awful, YouTube, Penny Arcade etc. Just bullet your brain please.

Hold on, we've just got started. This thread will have many pages before long. You're being just like the dicks bitching at the beginning. Let it live and see it to the end.

#64 Posted by spookytapes (261 posts) -

wow, when did this place get so bitter toward anyone with an opposing opinion?

#65 Posted by Jayzilla (2555 posts) -

@geirr said:

@lashe said:

Really didn't mind Chris' input at all. Enjoyed that video.

Same here. Good video!

Agreed. His point about money in the game the European action movie thing were two of the best points made by anyone on the video.

#66 Edited by NPfeifer (172 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:

@npfeifer said:

Right, because it's not just a matter of opinion or anything. And you're way smarter than them too.

You realize the point of the whole torture and assassination part IS that it isn't justified, right? And it serves no purpose?

I realize that, but their implementation was tacky on top of Trevor ranting on about it afterward to the torturee afterward.

Plus, it's not necessarily a matter of opinion: that story had very few bones, or they were randomized in their structure to the point where the ending just felt cheap and abrupt, like they describe.

#67 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

@jayzilla said:

@geirr said:

@lashe said:

Really didn't mind Chris' input at all. Enjoyed that video.

Same here. Good video!

Agreed. His point about money in the game the European action movie thing were two of the best points made by anyone on the video.

The money thing was a great point.

I wonder how intentional it was by Rockstar. I think at least fictionally (as they get the money from the last heist... and? But it really works double when there isn't much reward beyond that too and property isn't really anything great).

#69 Posted by Humanity (8805 posts) -

@humanity said:

But it is meant to show you how crazy Trevor is and how pointless torture is... so I don't get what there is to say about that scene really. It's supposed to be shocking. I don't think it was pulled off expertly but the whole point is highlighting how bad Trevor can be (and then show compassion afterwards to the person he tortures) and how bumbling and wasteful the FIB is.

I enjoy playing as Trevor, but it's funny to see people trying to say him being pretty awful is out of character... he just is at times. At moments he gets pushed a little bit and then he flies off the handle. Did it with Johnny, did it here, does it in the apartment in Vespucci. You say "you don't buy it".... well it's exactly what they do multiple times with his character, so I'm not sure why you don't. Johnny was easily my favorite character in IV and the beginning of Trevor in V is him brutally murdering that character, and the two biggest from L&D right afterward. If that doesn't set up Trevor as a bad guy I'm not sure people are paying attention. I've read or heard people say the torture turned them on Trevor or pushed them too far, but that happened right away with him for me and I think that's the point. Maybe no one else played Lost and Damned?

I like Trevor. It's a videogame and I can enjoy playing as a bad guy who happens to be very funny and charming.

I don't buy it because Trevor from the very beginning in the story is styled as a psychopath with a violent streak - and that much adds up with the torture scene - but they also go to some lengths in depicting him as a person that, through his insanity, doesn't let anyone tell him what to do no matter how illogical. While a normal person like Michael would balk at refusing to do the FIB's bidding because he understands the wrath that might befall him were he to do so, it just doesn't add up that Trevor would go along with all of it so placidly. This is even further highlighted when Trevor decides he's not going to kill the torture victim, explaining to him how he won't let some FIB clown tell him what to do, yet only minutes earlier he was letting that same clown do just that. So you might argue that he let the FIB agent boss him around because he enjoys violence and he would be willing to put up with it for the opportunity to torture someone and satisfy some violent perversion he has. That much I can agree on, but from the story perspective it would have made a lot more sense if Trevor had turned on the FIB agent, knocked him out and tortured him instead. Not only would it be in character for Trevor to do something completely out of left field, as in not taking orders from your primary mission giver and surprising the player, but also go along with his characteristic way of overreacting to people that had slighted him in even the most insignificant way.

I liked Trevor to the very end of the game. What I liked most about Trevor was his uncompromising nature. Both GTA San Andreas and GTA4 had protagonist that simply went along with everything they were told to do, CJ especially. So I really loved the way that Trevor didn't take any guff from anyone. I suppose in a way not only was I kind of surprised the story went as far in showcasing how innocent people are often wrongly tortured by actually forcing the player to take part in the act, but I was disappointed that this crazy lunatic that I could depend on never bending to some idiots will had suddenly reverted back to that very classic GTA stereotype of talking big but in the end doing whatever was asked of him.

#70 Edited by joshwent (2112 posts) -

@mbr2 said:

This thread cements the fact that the Giant Bomb community is no better than /v/, IGN, Gamespot, Something Awful, YouTube, Penny Arcade etc. Just bullet your brain please.

Yeah Bro! Fuck these judgmental jerks who treat other people with zero respect. THEY NEED TO ALL KILL THEMSELVES!

Or, maybe... criticizing people for being intolerant by being intolerant isn't the best way to try and go about improving a conversation.

#71 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

@humanity said:

@artisanbreads said:

@humanity said:

I don't buy it because Trevor from the very beginning in the story is styled as a psychopath with a violent streak - and that much adds up with the torture scene - but they also go to some lengths in depicting him as a person that, through his insanity, doesn't let anyone tell him what to do no matter how illogical. While a normal person like Michael would balk at refusing to do the FIB's bidding because he understands the wrath that might befall him were he to do so, it just doesn't add up that Trevor would go along with all of it so placidly. This is even further highlighted when Trevor decides he's not going to kill the torture victim, explaining to him how he won't let some FIB clown tell him what to do, yet only minutes earlier he was letting that same clown do just that. So you might argue that he let the FIB agent boss him around because he enjoys violence and he would be willing to put up with it for the opportunity to torture someone and satisfy some violent perversion he has. That much I can agree on, but from the story perspective it would have made a lot more sense if Trevor had turned on the FIB agent, knocked him out and tortured him instead. Not only would it be in character for Trevor to do something completely out of left field, as in not taking orders from your primary mission giver and surprising the player, but also go along with his characteristic way of overreacting to people that had slighted him in even the most insignificant way.

I liked Trevor to the very end of the game. What I liked most about Trevor was his uncompromising nature. Both GTA San Andreas and GTA4 had protagonist that simply went along with everything they were told to do, CJ especially. So I really loved the way that Trevor didn't take any guff from anyone. I suppose in a way not only was I kind of surprised the story went as far in showcasing how innocent people are often wrongly tortured by actually forcing the player to take part in the act, but I was disappointed that this crazy lunatic that I could depend on never bending to some idiots will had suddenly reverted back to that very classic GTA stereotype of talking big but in the end doing whatever was asked of him.

I see where you're coming from and feel the same way, but you kind of cover this in your post. I think Trevor went along with the torture because he likes committing violence and didn't view it as a big deal. I did feel the same way about Trevor, thinking he probably wouldn't get wrapped up in this FIB mess though, so I understand, but the thing is, I think Trevor is violent enough that he didn't view the torture as some awful act he was being forced to commit. To him it was just like driving from point A to point B. And judging from how Trevor talks to the victim after, it doesn't seem like he feels he did him that much of a wrong either, spending more time talking about how the torture was pointless for what it achieved rather than "hey, sorry I tortured you".

And depending on your ending, the FIB guy gets his at the hand of Trevor too, so it isn't like it wasn't wrapped up. As they said here, the main theme of the game is sort of "bend to no masters", even though there is some of that, at the end the "masters" do all get theirs (if you chose C).

Participating in the FIB nonsense does seem a bit contradictory, but another thing to consider is that Michael is the one most in the mix there, and though Trevor obviously has a lot of tension with Michael, I think there is an obvious loyalty underneath to where the tension isn't really real. He will do what Michael needs, being caught up in the FIB schemes. If you choose the ending to kill Michael, Franklin calls Trevor to help and he refuses, saying Franklin is a "traitor". So we can see there Trevor is really all talk with Michael and continue to have his back, even if he doesn't like what he has become.

#72 Posted by Humanity (8805 posts) -

@artisanbreads: Honestly I can't imagine why anyone would choose anything but C. So yah I agree with what you're saying, and likewise didn't think it made sense considering how he acts throughout the entire game, but it can be justified through his unique "disposition" - it's just a pretty lame justification.

#73 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

@humanity said:

@artisanbreads: Honestly I can't imagine why anyone would choose anything but C. So yah I agree with what you're saying, and likewise didn't think it made sense considering how he acts throughout the entire game, but it can be justified through his unique "disposition" - it's just a pretty lame justification.

In the grand scheme of things it is pretty well justified to me but I do think it could have been handled better as a moment in the game so I get your criticisms.

And C is totally the choice but if you haven't seen them I do think A and B are pretty interesting and have some cool character moments. Worth watching on Youtube. The revelations about Trevor really sealed his character in one of those endings for me.

#74 Posted by Krullban (1023 posts) -

How in the world are people simply complaining about an opposing opinion? Things Chris Plante said were undeniably stupid. How in the hell is Floyds girlfriend the only strong character in the game? She even thought she was this big badass for "swearing" when she said "crap". She slept around to get ahead in her job.

Chris Plante was just being stupid in that entire part. Amanda and Molly are both clearly stronger characters than Floyds girlfriend.

#75 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

At this point I don't ever really know what a "strong" person means. What are the things that makes a person, male or female strong? Sounds like some arbitrary bullshit set of standards somebody comes up with. Is there really such a thing as a "strong" female or male? Everyone I know in existence has some form of character flaw that's a form of weak will and would probably disqualify them from being "strong". Including myself.

That's really the reason I couldn't stand Plante's mouth sounds.

Wtf is "strong" supposed to be anyways?

#76 Posted by Nodima (1099 posts) -

Yea, I don't know either. Amanda was a shrew whose motivation was constantly under repair and I don't even remember who Molly was (oh, Devin's assistant. OK so she probably wins). I don't remember too much about Floyd's girlfriend other than he was punching above his weight physically and probably mentally as well, but given everything else going on in the game I did feel like she was positioned as the one female character that had a sense of the "normal world" and would do anything in her power to keep normalcy at arm's reach. That's probably part of what led to calling her the one strong female in the game, because her world just got so totally inverted by Trevor's presence and we're never really given her side. She shows up, she starts complaining about how the male id Trevor has ruined her life and then he spasms on everyone like Fei from Xenogears. She gets a pretty raw deal for someone who's always presented to the player as having her shit together, being a law-abiding citizen and career/family oriented.

#77 Posted by MrMazz (916 posts) -

What the heck this didn't pop up in my Sub feed! ugg hate new youtube layout just give me the big block of videos not this single column crap.

that said I rather enjoyed Chris Plantes counters and different view it played rather nicely off of jeff and Sess Moneyz

#78 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

@jams said:

At this point I don't ever really know what a "strong" person means. What are the things that makes a person, male or female strong? Sounds like some arbitrary bullshit set of standards somebody comes up with. Is there really such a thing as a "strong" female or male? Everyone I know in existence has some form of character flaw that's a form of weak will and would probably disqualify them from being "strong". Including myself.

That's really the reason I couldn't stand Plante's mouth sounds.

Wtf is "strong" supposed to be anyways?

I agree from the point of view of GTA V. There are no good moral characters in the whole game, male or female. So complaining about the female representation feels silly from that angle.

#79 Edited by Deathstriker (307 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

Aww, Chris Plante's got such an adorable little voice. How could you not love that little guy. He's like Jeff Gerstmann's little brother trying to be cool and hang with the big guys.

His voice is pretty annoying. He's the main reason I don't listen to Polygon's podcast even though I listen to MBMBAM. His awful little gnome voice doesn't work well with audio/multimedia content. He makes Ryan Scott sound suave. He sounds better here than he does in the podcast.

Who in their right mind got mad at killing Floyd and his girlfriend? That's silly and not everything they do is social satire, it was just a funny scene. We didn't see either of them "brutally murdered".

#81 Posted by Milkman (16519 posts) -

Chris Plante is such an annoying faggot in this video, holy shit. It's clearly embarrassing to Adam and Jeff having to put up with this cunt going on about social justice garbage. That aside cool video.

What a great discussion we are all having today on the internet!

#82 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

That aside good second post.

#84 Posted by pyrodactyl (1881 posts) -

@captainkek: enjoy your ban and please, never come back.

#85 Posted by spraynardtatum (2600 posts) -

The Giantbomb community should be ashamed of how much they hate this Chris Plante guy. Jesus Christ this is some vile garbage.

#87 Edited by joshwent (2112 posts) -

@captainkek: Never, EVER appropriate to use derogatory gay terms. Sure you can just make a new account, and if being a thorn in the side of the mods is the pointless way you want to spend your time, fine. But you'll be banned every time.

If you want to actually communicate, leave your hate at the door.

#88 Edited by Krullban (1023 posts) -

@spraynardtatum: what's there to be ashamed about? Only one guy has actually been offensive. Most just think what Chris Plante said was ridiculously stupid.

#90 Edited by Milkman (16519 posts) -

Okay, so I watched this video to see what all the yelling was about.

As expected, Chris, who I have never seen before in anything, was fine. I already talked about what I think of the torture scene in another thread so I'll just copy that in.

You know...I've gone through the whole spectrum of emotions with this scene and I think I've come to the conclusion that it's the best part of the game. Ignoring the heavy-handed "hey, torture is BAD!" dialog after it's over, it feels like it's the only true satire in the whole game that isn't delivered with the tact of an episode of Family Guy. I also think it's the only time when the game is being honest with you.

When I finished GTA V, it felt like a loose series of terrible events which lead to...nothing. Sure, I definitely had fun but nothing really happened, the world wasn't bettered by your actions (obviously) and no one learned anything. Sort of like...torture. As the game makes abundantly clear to you, torture is an incredibly ineffective means of gaining information and is really just for the sick satisfaction of the torturer. GTA V only feels like a means to satisfy the game's "torturers." At the end, all three of protagonists (and the player) feel like they've won but looking back at the events of the game, what did they really do?

In that regard, I think it mostly works. But I agree with Jeff and Chris that it does this to the detriment of Trevor's character. Even with the conversation afterwards, it didn't feel at all like something Trevor would do. As far as the scene where he kills Floyd and his girlfriend, it didn't really bother me but I definitely left me wondering why that it just happened. I'm not sure if his girlfriend is the only strong female character, though the people is this thread talking about interesting and complex Amanda and Molly are is pretty funny to me. That aside, the scene didn't seem to serve any purpose besides a kind of lame attempt to shock the player.

I thought Chris' point of the game feeling like a European idea of America was spot on. "Lars Von Trier does Lethal Weapon" is a pretty perfect way of putting it. His point about feeling like you should have more money was great too.

I definitely agree with everyone in the video that Franklin is really underwritten as a character. He so often feels like a third wheel and the stuff with Tanisha is criminally underused. When she shows up at the end of the game, you're kind of just left wondering who the hell this woman is because the game doesn't explore her relationship with Franklin at all. You're just suppose infer why her opinion matters to Franklin. To their point about Rockstar already exploring this story with San Andreas, then why does he exist in this game? Do something different then.

#91 Posted by Nodima (1099 posts) -

Tanisha should've never been in the game, simple as that.

I'm surprised Giant Bomb doesn't have an IP/perma-ban system.

Patrice O'Neal is my favorite comedian ever so I'm all fine with slurs, but people should really save them for their private lives.

#93 Edited by spraynardtatum (2600 posts) -

@krullban said:

@spraynardtatum: what's there to be ashamed about? Only one guy has actually been offensive. Most just think what Chris Plante said was ridiculously stupid.

I'm sure Chris Plante would have a different ratio of what was offensive and what wasn't. This is a freaking dog pile. I thought he offered interesting jumping off points for some of the satire in this game.

This game offers a lot of stuff to chew on. I just think everyone is being over dramatic about how bad his points and opinions were. For instance what he said about the drug missions where Franklin doesn't get effected. I think it's an interesting observations. I doubt there's any truth to it but I liked looking at it that way. I didn't think that the characters were taking PCP during those missions. I don't even think what kind of drug it is is important. Those missions are about fear and I brushed it off as Franklin was fearless. He just doesn't care about anything other than money. I thought Jeff's counter point was really interesting too. We wouldn't have heard that without Chris' pov.

Also I agree that the killing of Lloyd and his girlfriend is probably the craziest part in the game. She wasn't the "only strong female character" but she did stand up for herself only to be murdered. I felt bad so bad for Lloyd because That's not the thing that rubbed me the wrong way about it though. It's the fact that Trevor and Wade are best friends and Trevor just goes and kills Wades brother (cousin?) on a whim.

(luckily Wade had a strip club to go to and ignore the pain)

#97 Posted by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

wow! what is it with gta discussion and people becoming ........heated? I don't know Chris Plante and I really don't think he added anything to that conversation. Still, people needs to chill out. This is giantbomb, not 4chan, gamespot, ign etc.

#98 Posted by spraynardtatum (2600 posts) -

Can we all agree that Wade is the best character in this game?

#99 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

@mbr2 said:

For every person criticizing the the polygon writer, there's another person criticizing the community for "freaking out" over another persons opinion. If one post on this thread amounts to an over reaction, how is the criticism of the community any different? Of course Chris Plante has the right to express his opinions, but the community also has a right to call him out for what they'd consider bullshit. And in turn, it's everyone's right to call out the community for being assholes, but please don't pretend that because you disagree that Chris' ideas are silly, that the rest of the community needs to die. That's all.

#100 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3783 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

@mbr2 said:

For every person criticizing the the polygon writer, there's another person criticizing the community for "freaking out" over another persons opinion. If one post on this thread amounts to an over reaction, how is the criticism of the community any different? Of course Chris Plante has the right to express his opinions, but the community also has a right to call him out for what they'd consider bullshit. And in turn, it's everyone's right to call out the community for being assholes, but please don't pretend that because you disagree that Chris' ideas are silly, that the rest of the community needs to die. That's all.

Eventually we will reach a criticism singularity where it loops back on itself and the internet becomes a black hole that sucks everyone into the cyber realm and animals will then rule the planet forever.

-deleted comment in which I insult a user for being a turd cause I don't feel like adding to it-

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.