Jetpack or no Jetpack, the betting begins now

#1 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Since the best part of San Andreas was the jetpack, and GTA 5 seems to be returning (at least in part) to its roots in "it's fun, put it in the damn game, sure we'll put in a submersible, no you're not going bowling", I pose to you this question: will any of the three main characters have access to a goddamn jetpack?

My money's on yes, there will be a jetpack, because I'm an optimist. But it'll be for a single mission and not accessible outside of that mission, because I'm a pessimist and flying around the interiors of buildings was way too awesome for Rockstar to permit.

#2 Posted by Ghostiet (5225 posts) -

I doubt it. It sure looks to be going into a crazier direction, but more into a Die Hard/Bad Boys sorta way.

I'm also biased because I don't want the jetpack to return. It was a clunky fucking gameplay thing and I didn't enjoy it story-wise. San Andreas was in overall reasonably grounded in reality - crazy as shit, yeah, but not balls-out - and I felt those dumb jetpacks and stealing jets from military bases just didn't work.

#3 Posted by Giantstalker (1533 posts) -

I just want to see the tank again, jetpacks were silly

#4 Edited by McShank (1629 posts) -

As long as its not apart of the story I'm fine with there being a jet pack. Since every GTA had cheats, let there be one for the jetpack. As for Ghostiet's post, I only want jets as something to steal and in no way at ALL be apart of the story but rather just be that military base in the desert that you so seemingly can run in and steal vehicles from. Now Helicopters on the other hand, let them rain from the sky like candy and have us fly around and parachute out of them and smashing into the side of buildings and shattering the glass into a group of people while unloading an uzi into them, and once they are all dead you drop your current parachute and jump back out before security comes and use the flying squirrel suit you have on to glide to safety all while dropping a few grenades onto unsuspecting civilians below you.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (6334 posts) -

In-game playable Jetpack. Calling it now.

#6 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2309 posts) -

I don't think it will, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

#7 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Everything but the kitchen sink.

#8 Edited by yinstarrunner (1182 posts) -

Maybe as an easter egg or a cheat. Rockstar seems too serious now to allow something like that to taint their precious derivative fiction.

#9 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

No jetpack.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@yinstarrunner said:

Maybe as an easter egg or a cheat. Rockstar seems too serious now to allow something like that to taint their precious derivative fiction.

#11 Posted by Andorski (5191 posts) -

Nah, jetpacks are sooo last generation.

Mark my words... err, or word: Wingsuit.

#12 Posted by Andorski (5191 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

Don't they have you flying an F16 in GTA V?

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

I bet 10 Brad Bucks that there will be no jetpack in the campaign. That doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be a jetpack in the game at all. Just not in the regular campaign missions.

#14 Posted by kerse (2100 posts) -

I'd be willing to put down some Brad Bucks that there will be no jetpack period.

#15 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

I'm going no on the Jetpack, in recent years GTA has dropped the over the top antics from the last generation and stuck to telling quirky stories with a serious meaning, i figure five is gonna be more of that but with the larger scale open world we all seen in san andreas, im just glad to see planes make a comeback

#16 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

In-game playable Jetpack. Calling it now.

I would prefer Jetpac.

#17 Posted by Stete (723 posts) -

Well, it wouldn't be out of place if you take into consideration the tone of the latest trailer. If there isn't one in the story then there's probably a cheat for it, and even if that's not the case someone will make a mod for it in the PC version.

#18 Posted by wemibelec90 (1553 posts) -

I sure hope not. I want Rockstar to continue in the serious, character-driven story stuff over the craziness from San Andreas (even though I loved that game). Volition can carry on the insanity with the Saints Row games.

#19 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

I doubt it will appear in the main game, but after seeing the trailers I think the game is crazy enough to have it as an end game unlockable.

#20 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4886 posts) -

God, I hope so. I want this game to be way more like SA and way less like GTA IV.

#21 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Rocket boots. That's like two jetpacks.

#22 Edited by panvixyl (325 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Rocket boots. That's like two jetpacks.

My vote is for rocket boots that have THEIR OWN itty-bitty jetpacks!

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@panvixyl said:

My vote is for rocket boot that have THEIR OWN itty-bitty jetpacks!

Somebody get this guy in contact with Rockstar right the fuck now.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

Seems more grounded. No Jetpack.

#25 Posted by Yummylee (21263 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

I doubt it. It sure looks to be going into a crazier direction, but more into a Die Hard/Bad Boys sorta way.

I'm also biased because I don't want the jetpack to return. It was a clunky fucking gameplay thing and I didn't enjoy it story-wise. San Andreas was in overall reasonably grounded in reality - crazy as shit, yeah, but not balls-out - and I felt those dumb jetpacks and stealing jets from military bases just didn't work.

I agree with this, though I also really liked Mike Toreno despite being the guy who handed you all of the crazier missions... and forcing me to go through Flying School, that fucker! I'd be fine if they place in a Jet pack somewhere as an unlockable or in the multiplayer or something, but yeah, keep that outta the narrative if ya please.

#26 Posted by FesteringNeon (2158 posts) -

I call no jet pack.

A magic schoolbus would be sweet though.

#27 Posted by Rafaelfc (1314 posts) -

I'm in the no jet pack camp.

#28 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2458 posts) -

Jetpacks and bicycles, that's all I want. No other vehicles. Think about it.

#29 Posted by dRUNKENcELTIC (15 posts) -

I'm going to say "no", but man do I hope that I'm wrong. Easily one of the best parts about the end game in San Andreas, but I just don't know if that's the vibe they're going for in this game.

#30 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I doubt we'll see the jetpack for GTA V. Hey, maybe we might find one in Saint's Row 4 though.

#31 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

Signed. I hope V continues the serious tone, it will probably be a lot more Michael Bay-ish judging from the trailer, but as long as they keep it plausible (aka. no Jetpacks or green goo or stupid shit like that) it will be a worthy successor of IV.

If you want to beat people with purple dildos, go play Saints Row, we don't need your kind around here.

#32 Posted by Hailinel (23906 posts) -

@Andorski said:

@Animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

F-16s are an actual aircraft that exist. Jetpacks are the thing of fantasy (unless you want want one that will torch your pants and murder you).

#33 Posted by triviaman09 (785 posts) -

Best part? Come on, son.

#34 Posted by Andorski (5191 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Andorski said:

@Animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

F-16s are an actual aircraft that exist. Jetpacks are the thing of fantasy (unless you want want one that will torch your pants and murder you).

I'd say either the use of a real F-16 or a fictional Jetpack would drive any story out of the realm of seriousness though.

#35 Posted by Hailinel (23906 posts) -

@Andorski said:

@Hailinel said:

@Andorski said:

@Animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

I'd say either the use of a real F-16 or a fictional Jetpack would drive any story out of the realm of seriousness though.

It depends on how the F-16 is used.

#36 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

No jetpack. They will be moving in a more light, comedic direction with V it seems, but I doubt they will go that far.

#37 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

That jetpack sucked in San Andreas so no please.

#38 Edited by MrXakaRebel (58 posts) -

@Andorski said:

@Hailinel said:

@Andorski said:

@Animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

How is an F-16 not serious? They even made it a point to have one of the characters be a former pilot. Also, no jetpack...

#39 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Nope. I'm more interested in Rockstar's story then just silly stuff. Volition can go do that stuff.

#40 Posted by pyromagnestir (4246 posts) -

Finally a thread that appeals specifically to my gambling addiction! I'll put some cash down on both the under on jet packs in the core game at 1, and the over on jet packs in the dlc at 2.5.

Now where can I put some money down on the number of appearances by Brucie?

#41 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Jetpack = yes. I think. At very minimum I expect at least one non-airplane non-parachute maneuverable flight conveyance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.