Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Likes & Dislikes - The Thread

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

@dystopiax:

Actually, I had just my first positive recovery with Micheal from the impound. His long lost Bentley-A-Like turned up there. So it's not entirely broken, just mostly.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@jacdg said:

@yummytreesap said:

I feel like the only person who dislikes the car physics, but I do. I hate them. It's like your rear wheels are made of ice or something.

Also, I just wanna teach Chop tricks but I don't have a smartphone ;_;

Well, it's only available for Iphones right now, which I shouldn't be surprised about, but considering the amount of shit they talk about the tech industry and the way it works, it's "nice" to see that they can't release an app simultaneously across devices..

really? ... So there is a free(?) app to train the dog(?) and thats only available on iPhone? ... thats terrible.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By DystopiaX

@seppli said:

@dystopiax said:

@seppli said:

@dystopiax said:

@seppli said:

Jeez. I love driving cars in GTA games. The pimped out rides are so much more fun to drive. I can't help myself but sink all my dough in them. And swuush. Every other minute another sizeable chunk of cash goes up in smoke.

I'm extremely bummed about how purchased and pimped cars are handled. Zero improvement over San Andreas. Poor design indeed. Jeez! Why? Why? Why? *cries*

idk, like i said I stole a bike and pimped it out and it always respawns in my garage. Was this just one car? Cause if it was it might just be a bug or something, idk. Major bummer but I don't think what happened to you was what was intended by the game.

I lost pretty much a million bucks worth in tricked out whips. No matter if it's stolen or purchased. If I parked it a home or at my garage beforehand. If I leave the car alone during a mission, or because of other circumstances - I don't get them back.

Hell - one ride definitely disappeared from out of the garage itself. A sick as hell Bentley-A-Like I got for Micheal, all bought and paid for. Tricked out with all the trimmings. Up in smoke.

Are you on xbox or PS3? And it's weird that it happens consistently for you because like I said, that hasn't been an issue for me. Dunno about driveways but Trevor has a Buffalo I've pimped out and as I mentioned Franklin has a bike that got impounded, I got it back and then immediately switched to another character without driving it back to a garage and when I flipped back to Franklin it was sitting in front of his house. It's definitely a bug, and I hope it's widespread enough that it gets fixed for you cause damn, that sucks.

The Buffalo and Bagger respawn for me as well. They're Franklin's standard rides. Same goes for everyone's standard vehicles. No matter what, they respawn. I often have 2 Buffalos or Baggers standing around at anyone time when returning to safehouses. However, modifactions are lost with them too. Just respray your Buffalo, if you need clear proof.

Buy a garage with a character. Then open the internet on your phone and go to an online car dealership. Buy whatever car you can afford, and have it sent to your garage. Then go and trick it out. Park it in your garage. Then take out for a joyride or on a mission. Guaranteed - that ride will disappear out of the game, if you leave it alone anywhere but in a garage (which happens pretty much always, when you take it on a mission). I even suspect that I've lost a Bentley out of Micheal's mansion garage.

I'm on PS3, and seeing how this specific issue pops up a lot when googling for it, I doubt I'm the exception, regardless of platform. As far as I'm concerned, this is a quite depressing circumstance. Every virtual dollar that vanishes for no reason out of the game is circumstantial evidence that the developers don't respect their playerbase's time. I bet this shit won't be an issue in GTA Online, for they said as much in their trailers. So why is it an issue in Vanilla GTA V? *grinds teeth*

Yeah it just happened to me to one of my cars, however I still have a couple that have been in my garage consistently. It's definitely a widespread bug though. I also find it annoying that the BAWSAQ is down most of the time because that's the one that changes based on what your friends do and the R* club servers are down. Did a few of the missions that affect stock prices and was unable to sink money into the appropriate stocks cause of that.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@dystopiax: I think the missions that affect stock prices are for the LCN market, not BAWSAQ. They're separate.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

- That Trevor suddenly breaks character and cares for someone. The fame and shame mission seemed a little forced to me.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@castiel said:

- That Trevor suddenly breaks character and cares for someone. The fame and shame mission seemed a little forced to me.

Not really considering how much he clearly cared that Michael was alive. It's not crazy to see that he'd care for his kids too.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@dystopiax: I think the missions that affect stock prices are for the LCN market, not BAWSAQ. They're separate.

I specifically had a mission where Lester has you kill a guy and mentions that you might want to buy Fruit stock. I checked and it definitely wasn't on the LCN market.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno if this helps the guys with the disappeaaring car problems but my cars seem to appear in my garage where the collectors edition cars are. I dunno if that garage appers in regular copies but id assume it does.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By DystopiaX

@jouseldelka: Just found out, the RDR witness system is in the game, sometimes. If you rob someone or whatever and they turn into an enemy dot but don't attack you, they call the cops on their cell phone. Kill them, and no cops (assuming the cops don't see you).

I dunno if this helps the guys with the disappeaaring car problems but my cars seem to appear in my garage where the collectors edition cars are. I dunno if that garage appers in regular copies but id assume it does.

No, I checked those garages, they're not there. They're just gone.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As far as open world games go, for me, this is near perfect. The little, incidental things are what complete the experience. There are drawbacks, sure, but this is easily the most fun I've had with a game in a long time now.
    +The score that kicks in when you attain a certain wanted level lends every single chase/shoot-out an action-movie quality. It makes these moments their own, and far more entertaining than just having them play out quietly. One of my favourite things about the game just now. Also, is it just me, or does some ambient-electronica in the vein of Drive occasionally kick in. I haven't figured out if I'm imagining this yet.
    +Police presence is greatly diminished in general. While you'll often see them taking on the public, I've rarely bumped into a cruiser while driving around. They seem to only spawn when responding.
    +Similarly, the wanted system is really great now. Hiding is a legitimate tactic at lower levels, and at higher levels is requires skill to out-manoeuvre them.
    +The shooting has quite obviously taken a few pages from Max Payne 3. It's really solid and responsive.
    +Flying and driving are both slick. The driving, specifically, feels like it combined the realistic approach of 4 with the arcade-stylings of 3/VC/SA. I really, really like it. Those complaining about sliding: try not flooring it at every single moment.
    Quick final list of pros
    +The city; the attention to detail; the lighting (good lord, the city at night is unreal); the soundtrack; the characters; the size of the world (while still being really dense with things to discover/do); the weather effects (driving through the country looking at the mountains as lightening strikes is probably the closest games have come to looking "real" as far as I'm concerned).
    - Traversal of objects. It's a by-product of their somewhat realistic physics engine, I guess, but I'm constantly hitting jump early, expecting the leap/climb, etc to register properly. After Sleeping Dogs did it so well, this seems like a step back.
    -Similarly, when a character falls over, the animation is so long, and it takes even longer to stand up. If you fall in a firefight you're done.

-Changing vehicles with a wanted level is really hard, but that's more my issue than the game's.

-Aiming while driving is appalling.

-I hate that you STILL can't do things like set an explosive away from prying eyes (on a truck, say), drive it somewhere and then detonate it later without being discovered instantly.

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that there's so much to do in the game, the characters are well thought out and it looks good graphic wise.

I don't like that when every time the game auto saves it asks me if I want to put the auto save on my HDD or cloud. Is there a way to turn that off (without turning the auto save off entirely)? I'm on the 360.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might just be me overlooking something, but I still haven't found a way to restart or exit missions manually. If I'm right about this, then it's something I really dislike. As some others, I hate the driving, but I can also see why so many other likes it. The aiming when you're driving is fucking stupid, so eff that... All in all I think it's a solid game, but the driving, drive-aiming and the lack of simple mission options like restart or exit is something I can't overlook too easy. If anybody knows how to restart or exit a mission manually, please do tell!

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

My only legitimate gripe is with the pop-in on the PSN/fully-installed version of the game. Otherwise everything is just peachy for me.

BUT, having said that, I'm really hating the way Trevor and Franklin keep getting referred to as T and F. There are a few other things they've called out by the first letter of their name during the storyline in this game and I gotta say, it's soooooooo aggravating.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twistedh34t: I'm not getting that issue on 360...maybe check your settings?

I've gotta say, for the most part GTAV has 100% lived up to my astronomical hype for it. First and foremost, I really love the variety of the mission types. After GTAIV was 90% "drive here, shoot these guys, escape the cops" having crazy ass drug trips and intricate CEO assassinations is so refreshing, not to mention the heists. The dialogue is fantastic (Trevor's rants are brilliantly performed) and the game world is beautifully realized. The driving is miles improved over IV (especially with Franklin's special) and the side activities are well realized and actually carry some weight to them; playing a round of golf and getting a stamina boost is surprisingly gratifying.

My gripes are rather minor. Overall, while I'm enjoying the game immensely and the following opinion is liable to change (I'm only up to the second heist), I would still say that Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar's best game this generation and that San Andreas is still the best GTA game. Apart from the random events and the impossible-to-find collectibles, I don't feel like there's much incentive to explore the world, nor are there any emergent activities to partake in apart from the usual GTA "let's start shooting people and see how long we can survive" past time. Certainly, there are dozens of structured activities, but I really miss Red Dead's wilderness challenges and San Andreas's gang warfare, those sorts of activities you can just start doing in almost any given place as opposed to going to a mission marker. Along the same lines, I was really disappointed when I found out that hunting was relegated to a series of missions rather than present as a constant system, a la Red Dead.

However, my largest disappointment was with how small the desert turned out to be in comparison to the rest of the map. Deserts are my favorite video game environment and the Bone County/Las Venturas section of San Andreas was the best part of that whole game. To see the "Grand" Senora Desert take up such a comparatively infinitesimal part of the game world was a big let down.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Oh, another dislike: there is no "Instant BF Injection/ATV" button on my controller. This seems like an oversight.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Shooting while driving is still not fun at all, If that is going to happen at least learn some stuff from Sleeping Dogs.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game could have taken some cues from Saints Row. Especially their garage system.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By chiablo

Like:

If this is what they can milk out of a 7 year old system with 512 MB of ram, I cannot wait for next gen. The game has so much eye candy that it makes my teeth rot just looking at it.

Dislike:

No metal station. This has been a depressing trend lately, it used to be that every open-world game had a RoadRunner Records station that played some really good metal (Devin Townsend, Mastodon, Opeth, etc.) But in both Saints Row IV and GTA5, metal is absent.

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20% complete.

Likes - Presentation: More or less all round other than anti aliasing, this game is great to explore due to very well done visuals that at times are surprisingly realistic, the sense of scale is very impressive also, seriously take a few minutes just to wander around the city, through back alleys etc on foot and it's a strikingly immersive experience.

Gunplay: Vastly improved since GTA IV but that was to be expected, still it's nice to play GTA with solid gunplay mechanics.

Driving: I was actually a fan of GTAIV's driving mechanics but not so much that I thought it should become a staple of the series, just a nice alternative to the more arcadey driving of previous GTA's and now V, that being said it's a blast to drive in GTA V, I very rarely crash and can do more or less what I intend.

Dislikes: FRAMERATE: This is a massive bummer and unfortunately holds the game back especially in combat/missions, the gunplay is great but all too often isn't allowed to shine due to the game really slowing down and feeling sluggish when the action kicks off, hopefully a patch will be released to fix this issue.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By 49th

I'm really enjoying the car handling now. It took about an hour or two to get used to but I feel like I am driving better in this game than any other open-world game now.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@nodima: They only use the first letter of their names for a reason. While on heists it lets them communicate without giving away their real names. They are probably justy so used to doing it now that its second nature.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#122  Edited By Yummylee

I've only just transitioned to Trevor for the first time, so I'm still no doubt a little early. It's all been pretty great so far, though the one thing that I'm a bit disappointed by is that there doesn't appear to be as much side stuff as I was expecting. I went into this thinking this was San Andreas 2.0, where there'd be an almost Elder Scrolls level of shit to get involved with. It's especially noticeable when I choose to hang out with someone and my only options are often either getting drunk (which also sucks compared to how it was in GTAIV), visit a strip club, or watch that same weird Spanish/French art house movie parody thing... which I frankly never want to watch ever again. Once was enough, and I know it's intentionally meant to make no sense whatsoever, but sheesh that thing is just mentally exhausting to sit through.

I'm still (I would imagine) pretty early, though, so hopefully things start to branch out a little more as it goes on. It's just the reason why I love open-worlds is because of the stuff you can get up to in the world; if I'm going to be playing story mission after story mission, then that pretty much defeats the whole purpose of it having an open world.

Also, as already mentioned in here, requiring that smartphone app to teach Chop tricks is total BS. Besides throwing the ball, it doesn't seem like there's much he can do anyway, which is super disappointing. Oh, and yeah, the aliasing is pretty rotten. Framerate's not ideal either, but I've found that to be much easier to tolerate.

Besides all that the game's great. World is insanely detailed, I think the soundtrack's got a decent selection ('specially in that 90s pop station), and the core gameplay of shooting/driving is undoubtedly the best the series has had.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Yummylee
    microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By microshock

Another like: I never really played with the TV that much in GTA IV but I decided to turn it on here several times and the cartoons they have on like Moorehead....they sure are entertaining. Just the fact they have full episodes of fake cartoons in here is great.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Yummylee
    @microshock said:

Another like: I never really played with the TV that much in GTA IV but I decided to turn it on here several times and the cartoons they have on like Moorehead....they sure are entertaining. Just the fact they have full episodes of fake cartoons in here is great.

I think it's awesome that they brought that show back, but now as a cartoon!. It was one of my favourite shows to listen to in Vice City Stories. It's a shame you never gave the TV a chance in GTAIV, though, as it had a lot of great stuff on there!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dunno if that's because that's how it is in Los Angles, but there's just not enough random taxis. In GTA IV, waving down taxis was normal. They were everywhere. Now, I mostly need to resort to calling it in.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Seppli

@yummylee said:
    @microshock said:

I think it's awesome that they brought that show back, but now as a cartoon!. It was one of my favourite shows to listen to in Vice City Stories. It's a shame you never gave the TV a chance in GTAIV, though, as it had a lot of great stuff on there!

Just watched my first couple of shows. Howitzer plays Howitzer on Howitzer (or whatever) was pretty damn great.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm just really disappointed at the lack of in-building environments available to the player. Walking into Burger Shots, Hospitals, and the like was always entertaining and immersive for me, so I'm pretty disappointed to see that stuff relegated to a few gas stations and convenience stores you can rob.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#130  Edited By GunstarRed

Now that I've played a huge chunk of the game I fall in love with it the more I play it. Some of the story/heist missions just end up in these completely bonkers places you never see coming. The heist at the small bank puts the entirety of Payday 2 to shame. I can't think of another open world game with setpiece missions on this scale, it makes Saints Row look like a joke at times.

I've never loved a GTA game before. I liked IV a bunch despite being constantly irritated by some of its design, but V fixes almost all of that. Occasionally scripting will break in a mission or there will be an annoying "JUST GET THE FUCK IN THE CAR TREVOR!" moment, but all of those issues are miniscule when compared to the scope and craziness of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll make this easier and just say my dislikes(all my own opinion of course):

• The cross-hair is so small I honestly can't see it during shoot outs. I was using free aim but had to go back to auto aiming because of it.
    • Cops need to be a little easier to escape from.
    • You get a wanted level too easily.
    • The game needs to be clearer on how cars are stored and if you lose them or not.
    • The satire is hit or miss.
    kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Am I the only one who really enjoys the radio?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By The_Ruiner

Great characters

Heists

Intriguing story

Huge, well designed city

Stealth Mechanic

Dislikes:

Can't save your own outfits

Having to retrieve your cars from the impound on any mission that requires you to drive something else

Online shopping often delivers the wrong merchandise

That whole..torture thing.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll make this easier and just say my dislikes(all my own opinion of course):

• The cross-hair is so small I honestly can't see it during shoot outs. I was using free aim but had to go back to auto aiming because of it.
    • Cops need to be a little easier to escape from.
    • You get a wanted level too easily.
    • The game needs to be clearer on how cars are stored and if you lose them or not.
    • The satire is hit or miss.

There's an option to change the crosshair to a more normal one in under gameplay I think.

For cops, I find hiding a lot easier than speeding away.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @microshock said:

I've been watching some Republican Space Rangers on youtube though. Any recommendations for GTA IV TV content?

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The only gripe I can come up with at the moment is the lack of a metal radio station. Plus the cops are really big dicks in this game. But when you think about how Rockstar probably modeled them after the LAPD that fact suddenly makes a lot more sense.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#137  Edited By shivermetimbers

Trever might be this game's saving grace for me. If you're gonna do a psychopath, at least make him funny/entertaining. The rest of the game just depresses me, which I should write a blog about later.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Seppli

I'm just really disappointed at the lack of in-building environments available to the player. Walking into Burger Shots, Hospitals, and the like was always entertaining and immersive for me, so I'm pretty disappointed to see that stuff relegated to a few gas stations and convenience stores you can rob.

Yeah - pretty disappointed about that too. One of the first things I went to do was trying to go to my local Clucking Bells to grab some wings. No dice.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I just finished the conclusion of with Michael and his family and I must say I really love how they did that in the end. It was just perfect for this family. For me my most favorite Character in this game is Michael.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just beat it last night...

• Car Handling is alot better
    • Shooting is also better(on foot)
    • Random events being random(you can get different results)
    • Ability to switch through characters
    • Lamar & Trevor
    • Choices

Dislikes

• Shooting in car is horrible
    • Garage management is horrible, Losing cars that I left in the garage, Losing the mods I've done to the main cars
    • Not enough heist missions or missions that give you money
    • Radio is the worst in the series
    • Random trees and poles that are the immovable objects.
    • Car mods are more bad than good
    • Nothing on to do north of Los Santos

Looking forward to talking about the end and after credits.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one thing I dislike? How the framerate meddles with the shooting. When the framerate stutters, it's pretty hard to hit your targets, because it makes the joystick feedback laggy.

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klei: It's especially noticeable when an enemy flanks or comes close to you, it's very hard to hit them (on free aim obviously).

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the framerate can definitely be troublesome. It wasn't too bad during Los Santos, but it seems a little bit more choppy in Blaine County. In any case, I only just recently discovered you can flip people off while in your vehicle... Now that's some damned innovation!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Yeah, the framerate can definitely be troublesome. It wasn't too bad during Los Santos, but it seems a little bit more choppy in Blaine County. In any case, I only just recently discovered you can flip people off while in your vehicle... Now that's some damned innovation!

Flip off a cop to instigate a car chase.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Yummylee

@seppli said:

@yummylee said:

Flip off a cop to instigate a car chase.

From my experience with GTA V everything you do will instigate a car chase. There was that time where I was ran over by a cop car, only to then pick myself up to a 1-star notoriety rating.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_misery: Go into your Display settings and change the crosshair option to "complex." That should alleviate your first gripe.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like:

Whole game

Dislike:

You must return real world

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By HerbieBug

more likes:

-the three character thing seems to work out pretty well

and more quibbles:

-the minimap seems to have its own framerate problems???

-I don't understand why I can't open the weapon wheel when i'm in a safehouse. What possible benefit does locking that option out when you're in that location serve?

-No on screen indicator of whether you are or are not currently in stealth mode. No option to map controls so that movement and stealth toggle are not on the same button. I'm constantly going in and out of stealth accidentally as my controller is aging and it clicks in very easily when I move it around.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Shoey920

like: everything but the torture

dislike: the torture.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By handlas

So my dislike was the lack of hairstyles. I read that you can get some more by connecting to the Social Club.

Where do you connect to the Social Club in game? I can't find anything. I tried on their website as well and the sign in thing is broken... half the time it doesn't register that you click on the text boxes. Strange.

I also read that their hair grows? Can anyone actually confirm that. The people were saying they shaved Trevor's head and he grows it back out. I haven't seen any of that. I'm playing with a shave-headed Franklin and his hasn't grown back.

I'll add one more dislike... filler missions. Missions that are obviously just there for setup. Not a big deal. Just mundane at times. Like the one where you are moving crates on the dock. What fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.