Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Metaphysical concepts for GTA V

• 100 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc
    deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

GTA IV was dominated by the idea that as Niko completed missions and earned money any sense of his morality and any humanity he had was being erroded, so essentialy when the game was finished Niko was left as an empty shell of a human being who's only hopes of regaining his humanity were either dead or refused to talk to him. In short GTA IV is a masterpiece.

Will GTA V continue this exploration of humanity. I hope so.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think you're looking into it too much.

Also, I think you may have gotten the bad ending, because that's not how GTA IV ended for me. Nico was still buddies with a bunch of people.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

Niko. Not Nico.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Bollard

GTA IV was boring as fuck.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It is the stark contrast between Niko feeling so bad about killing all those people, and me running around the city firing RPG's into crowds, that made the main story in GTA IV feel less than effective for me.

I sincerely hope they go for a lighter tone this time around.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Tylea002

GTA V should continue the dark, depressing tone. Saints Row goes crazy, GTA goes and looks at the human implications of the fucked up shit which occurs. This is how it should be.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeeGee

You picked out one of the worst things about that game to call a masterpiece. Niko was a terrible character, and his whole "I want to be a good guy" mantra while shooting people in the face just made no sense. He was not a conflicted, tortured soul like they tried to make him out to be. He was a dick who murdered everyone for money yet bitched about doing it.

At least all the other GTA protagonists had clear reasons for being dicks.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Grixxel

@Jaytow said:

GTA IV is not a masterpiece.... It's fine, it's not great. Red dead redemption was twice the game GTA IV was.

This.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By laserbolts

I agree GTA 4 was a masterpiece and I am super pumped for 5. I know it will be great because the writers at rockstar know what they are doing.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By tooPrime

What epistemological or ontological concepts were explored in GTA IV?

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Jaytow said:

GTA IV is not a masterpiece.... It's fine, it's not great. Red dead redemption was twice the game GTA IV was.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mandude

It seemed to have a lot going for it, aye, but gameplay wasn't one of them.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valrog

I really hope so. The name of the protagonist - if true - sounds already very promising to me. Albert De Silva. Awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc
    deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would appear not all of you are able to fully appreciate a study of the human condition.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By DjCmeP

GTA IV was a masterpiece I played through it three times..I usually play through a game only once. RDR was good(not great). The main character didn't have much personality and I didn't like the ending.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Jaytow said:

Pretty much this.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By iamjohn

Okay guys, seriously, stop. Red Dead Redemption was lame.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @tooPrime said:

bowelling
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikeGosot
    @iAmJohn said:

It had a cool ending. Oh, and the shooting was cool.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Justin258

@General_Mapache said:

It would appear not all of you are able to fully appreciate a study of the human condition.

You don't seem to understand the definition of "metaphysical". Riddle me this:

@tooPrime said:

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm

@MooseyMcMan said:

Also, I think you may have gotten the bad ending, because that's not how GTA IV ended for me. Nico was still buddies with a bunch of people.

Could've sworn both endings had an unfortunate death or two in them.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@General_Mapache
    Seems like they're going to attempt to explore the whole rich-poor divide in America that's been coming to the forefront recently. I can't wait for it, I'm sure they'll have something interesting to say on the issue, and there is tons of room for satire on that front.  
    Also, I hope you were warned a head of time, every GTA thread must include a few users parroting each other about how bad IV was because it wasn't San Andreas. 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Napalm said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Also, I think you may have gotten the bad ending, because that's not how GTA IV ended for me. Niko was still buddies with a bunch of people.

Could've sworn both endings had an unfortunate death or two in them.

Yeah, but the dude made it sound like Niko had no friends left. Roman, Packie, Brucie, and Jacob were all still alive and bros with Niko in the ending I got (Packie was a little depressed though).

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BraveToaster

Essentially

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By jillsandwich

John Marston clicked for me in a way that Niko didn't. I didn't want to be a bad guy in RDR, unlike every other game with a morality system that I've played. It just felt wrong.

I've been trying to decide for years if that was a success of John Marston as a character or if it was a fundamental flaw of the game's free-form nature. The problem of Niko being a pretty well-written tortured reluctant criminal juxtaposed with the occasional RPG rampage is something that needs to be fixed. Maybe we can have an open-world game WITHOUT the ability to murder everybody.

VarkhanMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By VarkhanMB

@Jaytow said:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I did not enjoy GTA IV at all, but that was mostly my fault for playing it too late after it came out. I think this game was more of a product of its time than other games.

I'm still holding out for a genuinely well-written female protagonist. I think with the writing chops they have at Rockstar, they can pull it off. It would be interesting to see the "same story" in a way, through different eyes.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BBQBram

Well yeah if you go on silly killing sprees GTA IV's themes fall apart but if you kinda roleplay it a bit it's definitely there. The previous GTAs were all very lighthearted, pulpy references to iconic crime archetypes from Hollywood. Niko had some actual depth to him. I've never been that much into Rockstar games but IV totally sold me on their tone. They have really come into their own with GTA IV and RDR; seems like they now have the confidence to write deeper, actual characters instead of just cartoonesque parody. Even someone like Brucie had some introspective moments as to why he's so fucked up. The reason there's an inherent duality between Niko's hopes of changing and his actions is because that's the point. He wanted to change but he couldn't, and the "American Dream" only amplified his situation instead of offering a fresh start. Say what you will about how much fun you had with the game, I for one love it, but they truly did step it up in the story department.

So yeah, please keep V at least as pseudo-intellectual as IV. They've done the violent chaos shtick to death already and I welcome changes towards deeper narratives instead of just a new setting and different guns and cars.

BUT YOU GUYS JETPA - Shut up.

Edit:

Also looking forward to some actual discussion instead of these clever single lines responses; "No you're wrong it sucked" without any reasoning or arguments behind it. What's the point of a message board then.

Anyway, judging by Rockstar's latest games they will definitely piss off the haters again. Can't wait.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Yeah it was pretty deep the part where Niko said "YOU BITCHING BITCH ILL FUCKING KILL YOU FUCKING BITCH FUCK BITCH FUCK" had me thinking about Jung's duality of man. Also all the jokes about 69's and dicks and stuff were pretty deep too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iAmJohn: Me and you should settle this outside by the stables. (spits in bucket)

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JazGalaxy

@General_Mapache said:

GTA IV was dominated by the idea that as Niko completed missions and earned money any sense of his morality and any humanity he had was being erroded, so esientaly when the game was finished Niko was left as an empty shell of a human being who's only hopes of regaining his humanity were either dead or refused to talk to him. In short GTA IV is a masterpiece.

Will GTA V continue this exploration of humanity. I hope so.

I'm a big GTA fan, but I think you're way offbase reading anything into the idea of "morality" in GTA. I think you're also reading depth in a game that has little story beyond paying homage to hit crime movies.

Nico's morality, as GTA is a videogame, is hard to chart in any way shape or form. Largely, because his morality has too much to do with the way the player plays the game. Nico has no dark night of the soul, or conflict about anything he does. He's, more amoral than anything else. And would have to be for the game to function. My Nico had literally hundreds of deaths on his hands by the end fo the game and more were implied before I ever took control.

Long story short, he starts out a scumbag and winds up a scumbag. That's not masterpiece storytelling. It's a videogame.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Three0neFive

holy shit op, you're a pretentious cock.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShaggE

Have you forgotten about the beeg Amereecan teetees!? Now THAT is worthy of philosophical debate.

I love GTAIV, but Niko was the same hypocrite mass murderer he was from the beginning.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@Three0neFive: Haha no good sir I believe it is you who does not "Get" this videogame about a murderous sociopath and dick jokes, now good day.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35  Edited By Phatmac

GTA 4 was great at the time, but it hasn't held up well. Saints Row 3 is far better. The gameplay doesn't hold up at all.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By valrog

@BBQBram: Well put.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BBQBram

@artgarcrunkle said:

Yeah it was pretty deep the part where Niko said "YOU BITCHING BITCH ILL FUCKING KILL YOU FUCKING BITCH FUCK BITCH FUCK" had me thinking about Jung's duality of man. Also all the jokes about 69's and dicks and stuff were pretty deep too.

It's cool man, when I said Rockstar would piss off the haters again, I didn't mean all the haters, just the ones that don't like the shift into a more "serious" tone. I like the serious tone so obviously that would be a desired situation for me. However, I didn't say that would mean I'm right and they're wrong, I make no claim to some objective truth. And I agree there is still a huge contrast between the themes and the actual gameplay, but at least they're brave enough to try and do something more with it because, from a literal perspective video games are still entirely in it's infancy. Not that there's anything wrong with pure games like, say, platformers or fighters, I'm just really interested in the idea of interactive storytelling and unfortunately, barely any developers dare to step outside of the norm of pulpy genre fiction (admittedly that's still how I would describe Rockstar) and the interaction is action oriented ninety percent of the time. So hey, not trying to say everyone's wrong, just stating my opinion and calling out for people to engage in a discussion instead of just having a yelling match. That's a lot more stimulating and productive don't you think?

Also, satire about low-brow people in low-brow situations can't have literary merit? What?

You can also boil this thread down to this; yo guys, IV had a bigger focus on story and went a bit more serious with it? Like/dislike? Nothing wrong with opinions.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@BBQBram: That's cool.

I just don't think the story was strong enough to carry the kind of shitty mechanics and don't think the gameplay was fun enough to carry a dour story about a sociopath and his sleazy cousin. I dunno, maybe I just should have hung out with Brucie more.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BBQBram

@artgarcrunkle: Well, speaking for myself, it's not just the shooting and driving that carry me through the long story, it's mostly the immersion I get from such a huge detailed setting and the consistent world they created with all the media. Keeping all the zany satire mostly in the media was a smart choice I think, because life can feel like that these days. Still, Liberty City is pretty fucking surreal.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@BBQBram: Same. The two things Rockstar always seems to nail is making immersive worlds and impossible to like antagonists who you can't wait to ice. I'm even a little conflicted about the mechanics because the random bullshit that can make accomplishing objectives super painful can make dicking between missions pretty fun. Stuff like careening into a hot dog cart and being blown up is pretty great so long as it doesn't mean you have replay a tedious mission. I almost never finished the game because of the bad luck I had with the final mission, forcing me to replay that long boring car chase over and over.

DxBecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By DxBecks

@S0ndor said:

It is the stark contrast between Niko feeling so bad about killing all those people, and me running around the city firing RPG's into crowds, that made the main story in GTA IV feel less than effective for me.

Just the number of times within the story that you would have to betray and kill numerous people, yet when it happened to Niko he complained about people betraying him. I get that was part of the point of the story but I mean come on, Niko Betrayed and killed far more people than the man he was after.

DxBecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DxBecks

@artgarcrunkle said:

@BBQBram: Same. The two things Rockstar always seems to nail is making immersive worlds and impossible to like antagonists who you can't wait to ice. I'm even a little conflicted about the mechanics because the random bullshit that can make accomplishing objectives super painful can make dicking between missions pretty fun. Stuff like careening into a hot dog cart and being blown up is pretty great so long as it doesn't mean you have replay a tedious mission. I almost never finished the game because of the bad luck I had with the final mission, forcing me to replay that long boring car chase over and over.

The checkpoint system in Grand Theft Auto needs to be fixed. I find it moronic how if I fail a mission, I cannot just start the mission over with the same health, armor, weapons, and ammo that I started it with. Instead I have to go drive around the city, repurchase everything, and then restart the mission, or load my last save and drive to the mission start which is a lot faster and less tedious. Even more problematic were car chase sequences, the vehicles controlled decently but they had a significant amount of weight to them, and driving as fast as target vehicles, and maneuvering like they could wasn't possible in most cases without crash, causing one to fail the mission. I remember one of the missions with Florian where I had to drive him to an island for Fun Day, and the first segment of the mission was just driving a boat without anything else going on, I failed the mission later down the road and then had to do the entire mission over, why not checkpoint me throughout the mission so I do not have to repeat thirty-plus minutes of gameplay, half of which is driving tediously somewhere before any action starts? So obnoxious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iAmJohn said:

/agree

I found both GTA IV and RDR to both be extremely boring.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Drebin_893

I thought GTA IV's story was awful. I've long thought this is because I'm British and that game was so America-focused.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BBQBram

@DxBecks said:

@artgarcrunkle said:

The checkpoint system in Grand Theft Auto needs to be fixed. I find it moronic how if I fail a mission, I cannot just start the mission over with the same health, armor, weapons, and ammo that I started it with. Instead I have to go drive around the city, repurchase everything, and then restart the mission, or load my last save and drive to the mission start which is a lot faster and less tedious. Even more problematic were car chase sequences, the vehicles controlled decently but they had a significant amount of weight to them, and driving as fast as target vehicles, and maneuvering like they could wasn't possible in most cases without crash, causing one to fail the mission. I remember one of the missions with Florian where I had to drive him to an island for Fun Day, and the first segment of the mission was just driving a boat without anything else going on, I failed the mission later down the road and then had to do the entire mission over, why not checkpoint me throughout the mission so I do not have to repeat thirty-plus minutes of gameplay, half of which is driving tediously somewhere before any action starts? So obnoxious.

Yeah. They added mid-mission checkpoints in the DLC expansions but they still didn't reset your armor and inventory. It's kinda been the running theme that when you die during free roam there is an implied continuity because you wake up in a hospital or jail and the cops have taken your guns etc. Now that's a cool premise but it totally disconnects during missions because okay, you nearly died, that happened, and then time repeated itself because you're now having the exact same conversations and situations occur as before. It doesn't need to be there in the story mission. I'm optimistic though, because Red Dead nailed this. You died in the wilderness, whoops, back to last (quick)save - in GTA this would still be handled as a continuous thing, time passes and you respawn at hospital; fitting for both games. BUT the difference being, in RDR, once on a mission you don't die, you fail and retry from a mid-mission checkpoint with your inventory intact. This makes way more sense to me, because while continuity thing works in GTA, in missions you are straight up reliving a moment and it should just acknowledge that it's a game for sake of efficiency. Right?

TL;DR: Checkpoints! They're welcome!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ravenlight

@tooPrime said:

Bowling.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By valrog

@BBQBram: Deja Vu. Or, OR. Time travel. Mind = blown.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@DxBecks said:

@artgarcrunkle said:

I'm always curious about how a company who has been making pretty decent games for over a decade can make bad design decisions like that.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By plaintomato

@Chavtheworld said:

GTA IV was boring as fuck.

What?

@S0ndor said:

No.

@DeeGee said:

Niko was a terrible character

Just...no.

@mandude said:

It seemed to have a lot going for it, aye, but gameplay wasn't one of them.

Huh?

Who are you people? I'd try to figure out where you are coming from but...how to care?

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@plaintomato: It's even harder for us to care, since you gave absolutely no explanation at all, LOL! Oops! ROFLMAO, thanks for your input, though. Much apprecieee

I played through every other GTA game multiple times, I had to force myself to finish IV. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.