New GTA V screenshots - "Our biggest open world game to date"

• 127 results
#1 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/36881/asked-answered-max-payne-3-and-grand-theft-auto-v.html 

From a question and answer session released an hour ago: 

“Hey guys hope everything is good over there in Rockstar. Just a question referring to GTA 4, the game was brilliant and I really enjoyed and still do, but what disappointed me was the lack of planes and jets... Can you tell me why you didn't include them, I'm sure you have a very valid reason?” via Mouthoff 

The city was simply too small for effective and enjoyable flying. It was the first time we made a high definition open world, and it was a massive amount of work to make something on that scale – we simply could not make an environment big enough for planes to work properly. Fear not, they are returning in what is our biggest open world game to date. 

Hype levels rising significantly. 

#2 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Oh don't worry, I'm sure a flood of posters will soon come to rain on your parade, stating what an awful game GTAIV was!

I'm excited as hell as well, even if it's sort of tiresome to never get any solid information or a release date.

#3 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

Can't wait!

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

Well me getting this on PS3 confirmed. No way in hell is this shipping on one disc on 360. Hell Id be surprised if they can fit it on two discs.

#5 Posted by The_Nubster (2098 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

Oh don't worry, I'm sure a flood of posters will soon come to rain on your parade, stating what an awful game GTAIV was!

GTAIV was awful!

#6 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

After playing Driver: San Francisco, the vehicle draw distance has me a little worried in the helicopter shot. GTA has been notoriously awful with traffic persistence in the past (you know how all the vehicles on the roads change almost every time you swing the camera around) and I hope this is just me being paranoid. I really hope they made the engine better remember which cars are where and keep their condition in memory for a good three block radius minimum. That was always something that ruined immersion for me in the series before.

How long ago did they release the trailer? What actual dates do Rockstar's fiscal quarters start/end? It's almost exactly three months (aka one quarter) until mid-October, which is when a lot of the rumors are pointing to GTA5's release. Releasing information or games on the bookends of the quarters is totally Rockstar's modus-operandi. Am I just grasping at straws here?

edit: Don't like the driving in GTA4? Don't play GTA5.

#7 Posted by MAGZine (437 posts) -

Just fix the driving and get rid of the cellphone, and it will be a magical game.

#8 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Coooooooooooooool

#9 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@MAGZine said:

Just fix the driving and get rid of the cellphone, and it will be a magical game.

you could turn the cellphone off in GTA4 thus removing it.

#10 Posted by mosespippy (4119 posts) -

Making a bigger world is no good if you don't fill it with things to do. GTA IV was sparse for interesting side content.

#11 Edited by BaneFireLord (2925 posts) -

As long as there is no bullshit cellphone stuff, I'm there day one.

Please be on PC...

#12 Posted by AndrewW (144 posts) -

I loved GTA 4! Can't wait for 5.

#13 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Man, I can't wait to see what their ambition actually is for this game. Hope this shuts up all the whiny children on the R* blog.

#14 Posted by Bane122 (786 posts) -

GTAIV was by no means awful. It was, however, very over-hyped and generously reviewed.

#15 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

As long as there is no bullshit cellphone stuff, I'm there day one.

Please be on PC...

Why do you just want them to hurt you again? You are better than this.

#16 Posted by stryker1121 (1403 posts) -

It seems like they're bringing back some of the "do anything" content of previous games, at least that's implied by "biggest open world game to date." I too yearn for interesting side content and hope V brings it in spades.

#17 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@The_Nubster: *gasp*

#18 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

I'm excited as hell as well, even if it's sort of tiresome to never get any solid information or a release date.

hey man, extreme hype is just as bad as being extremely disparaging towards it. Just saying

#19 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Geee! I need more info like when is that thing coming up!, either way I can wait for it GTA IV Liberty City is still very impressive to me can't imagine how Los Santos is gonna be.

#20 Posted by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

Very excited for this game. I just wish we knew when it was coming out!

#21 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@Animasta: Agree 100%! Was just trying to be funny. :(

#22 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -
@Cincaid said:

Don't worry, I anticipate them in every GTA V article...most of them will be buying the game anyway, I reckon. 
#23 Posted by Hailinel (24413 posts) -

Planes work just fine in Saints Row: The Third, and that open world isn't exactly gigantic. I don't know what Rockstar's excuse is.

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I love Grand Theft Auto. Bring it awwwwwnnnnn

#25 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Planes work just fine in Saints Row: The Third, and that open world isn't exactly gigantic. I don't know what Rockstar's excuse is.

What's the name of SR3 City Steelport? anyways it is bigger than GTA IV Liberty City and helicopters were fast enough to cross the islands very quickly so I can see why not having planes made sense back then and probably they couldn't get them to work propertly.

#26 Posted by CaLe (3959 posts) -

I hope they have a tennis mini-game this time. I don't like bowling or darts or taking women on dates.

#27 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Hailinel: Their excuse was that they just didn't want to put planes in it. And yeah flying cars in GTA4 "works just fine" too, but you still run out of space if you travel for more than a minute or two. Also the planes in SR3 were slow like in BF3, compared to the scale of the real thing. With more space they can make them work like they're supposed to.

But really flying is the last thing I care about using the space for. I'm all about that offroad driving.
#28 Edited by xyzygy (9949 posts) -

GTA4 was the best GTA so far, and RDR was phenomenal so I have high hopes for GTAV. I just really don't get why they're basing it in Los Santos again... I would have loved a new location.

#29 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -

@AndrewW said:

I loved GTA 4! Can't wait for 5.

#30 Posted by ShaggE (6420 posts) -

Holy shit. I wonder just how much bigger we're talking here. San Andreas was fucking enormous.

#31 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Fucking awesome. I think I'm getting in the mood for some more GTA action.

#32 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

GTA4 was the best GTA so far, and RDR was phenomenal so I have high hopes for GTAV. I just really don't get why they're basing it in Los Santos again... I would have loved a new location.

They've only announced Los Santos so far, but that doesn't mean there won't be other cities. Evidence in the Max Payne 3 files suggests San Fierro might also be in there (cablecars and stuff). And if LS and SF are in there, that makes me almost expect Las Venturas. Sure San Andreas already had cities with these names, but the actual locations are most certainly new in GTA5.
#33 Posted by Oddface (85 posts) -

@Hailinel: The player would literally have to crash the plane everytime they went somewhere in one because there is only one place you can land and take off. That would just be dumb.

Anyways, I'm excited R* finally broke radio silence on this game, even if it isn't with much. This is going to be my new all-time favorite video game, I can feel it!

#34 Posted by intoblivion (314 posts) -

GTA IV driving is incredible, nothing open world has came close to it.

#35 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

That's the same reaction I had. The cities in those two games were of comparable sizes, were they not? Or am I misremembering?

#36 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Cautiously optimistic. GTA IV had its issues but it's still a really fun game to drive around in. They need to fix the shooting for V and it needs an RPG mechanic like GTA SA, only more developed because that added a level of personalisation which was lost in GTA IV almost altogether.

#37 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

That's the same reaction I had. The cities in those two games were of comparable sizes, were they not? Or am I misremembering?

This is because Saint's Row is about having fun. GTA isn't.

#38 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

Yeah, those silly Rockstar guys just focus on insignificant stuff like "innovation" and "story". What they need is dildo-shooting rocket launchers and tigers in cars.

#39 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@mtcantor said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

Yeah, those silly Rockstar guys just focus on insignificant stuff like "innovation" and "story". What they need is dildo-shooting rocket launchers and tigers in cars.

Great idea!

You should make games.

#40 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

@ThePickle said:

@mtcantor said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

Great idea!

You should make games.

I'm actually starting at Volition pretty soon. Corner office and 250K starting salary. Really all I had to do was watch Family Guy and ask myself "how can this be a game?"

#41 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@ThePickle: Woah there. Family Guy actually has a few redeeming qualities. SR3 is more akin to professional wrestling.
#42 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@mtcantor said:

@ThePickle said:

@mtcantor said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

Great idea!

You should make games.

I'm actually starting at Volition pretty soon. Corner office and 250K starting salary. Really all I had to do was watch Family Guy and ask myself "how can this be a game?"

Awesome. While you are there you can deck whoever thought Red Faction: Armageddon was a good idea.

#43 Edited by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@ThePickle: Woah there. Family Guy actually has a few redeeming qualities. SR3 is more akin to professional wrestling.

I always associate Saints Row with Family Guy. Both are liked for purely superficial reasons, are incredibly derivative, and are just one-note experiences that rely on cheap entertainment.

#44 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@ThePickle: To me Pro Wrestling fits better because on paper it sounds like something amazing, but actually experiencing it is far worse than merely hearing about it. But I think we both have analogies liking it to lowest common denominator entertainment.
#45 Posted by MiniPato (2732 posts) -

I just want one thing.

Remove the sixaxis tutorial from the bottom of the cell phone menu. Trips me up every time I need to activate cheats!

#46 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

I can't wait to see how they improved on some of the things from GTA IV (mainly the cover and shooting mechanics), and what new and interesting characters they bring to the sequel. Colour me excited!

#47 Posted by Druminator (1678 posts) -

Most anticipated game for me so far, has been since it was announced. If it's a combination of IV and Red Dead then I will be one happy man!!

#48 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@Cincaid said:

GTAIV was awful!

opinions opinions...

#49 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

The day this game arrives can't come soon enough. Day one purchase for me when it arrives on the PS3.

#50 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@mtcantor said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

It doesn't say much for Rockstar if they have been focussing on innovation and story, because GTA 4 still had a shitty story and Saints Row has been doing most of the innovating in the genre this gen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.