Next Gen

#1 Posted by Phyrlord (171 posts) -

I'm a little disappointed that this wasn't being Dev'ed for next gen. Anyone else with me?

#2 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

how disappointed are you. on a scale of 1 to 10 where would you put your diappointment.

#3 Posted by Sarge506 (87 posts) -

What? No. We would have had to have waited much longer and launch games always suck tremendous ass.

#4 Posted by wealllikepie (757 posts) -

don't worry about it im sure when gta vi comes out in 4-7 years it'll be awesome

#5 Posted by Icemo (659 posts) -

Play it on a PC and it will look like a next gen game. Problem solved.

#6 Posted by Zaccheus (1805 posts) -

Well they started development so long ago that no-one knew what the new consoles were even going to be. I guess they could have pushed it up even more and make it next gen, but that's probably a pretty big job. There is a big history of end of the cycle games.

#7 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

@Icemo said:

It's not coming to the PC in the forseeable future. It's "Up for consideration".

Problem unsolved.

#8 Posted by pyrodactyl (2342 posts) -
@Icemo

This is funny
#9 Posted by Icemo (659 posts) -

@Jams said:

@Icemo said:

It's not coming to the PC in the forseeable future. It's "Up for consideration".

Problem unsolved.

Aww, don't try to ruin my joke. Anyway, it will probably come to the PC in under a year like GTA IV did.

#10 Posted by MrXakaRebel (58 posts) -

@Phyrlord said:

I'm a little disappointed that this wasn't being Dev'ed for next gen. Anyone else with me?

No.

#11 Posted by pyrodactyl (2342 posts) -
@Icemo

@Jams said:

@Icemo said:

Problem unsolved.

Aww, don't try to ruin my joke. Anyway, it will probably come to the PC in under a year like GTA IV did.

If you can wait, more power to you. In the meantime, I'll be over there, playing gta5
#12 Posted by Icemo (659 posts) -

@pyrodactyl: Good for you. Personally I prefer my games to be at higher resolution so waiting is worth it. My backlog of games is too long anyways.

#13 Posted by MrXakaRebel (58 posts) -

Day one buy for me, I'm sure I'll enjoy the resolution and everything else about it on my 360 just fine.

#14 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

I'm only disappointed because I'm skeptical that it can really be as awesome as it looks. However, if it does turn out to be as awesome as it looks I won't be disappointed at all.

#15 Posted by MrXakaRebel (58 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

I'm only disappointed because I'm skeptical that it can really be as awesome as it looks. However, if it does turn out to be as awesome as it looks I won't be disappointed at all.

See, a lot of people have been doubting that the game will look like what they've shown, which is totally understandable given how some companies doctor screenshots and only show cutscenes. But I feel like Rockstar's screenshots and videos have always been consistent with how the game actually looks, and the cutscenes are always in engine. So while I must admit I'm a little skeptical too (only because it looks fuckin gorgeous and the world is supposed to be bigger than ever), but I feel confident that they will deliver and aren't just selling us a bunch of bs.

#16 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if they released what would basically be the PC version with high settings on next gen consoles a year after GTA5 comes out. Possibly coinciding with the PC release, which will obviously exist at some point.

edit: And when you take into account the rumors of next gen consoles using x86 architecture, that would make porting between next gen and PC so much easier and more efficient than it currently is.

#17 Posted by onarum (2287 posts) -

Yep I can only imagine what they'll have to sacrifice in order to run it on ancient hardware, hopefully just frames and resolution, which can be fixed on a proper PC release.

#18 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4486 posts) -

If there's a PC version then that will be the one to play on plus we should wait till the game is out before assuming the console versions are going to be gimped and have technical problems.

#19 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

No... because I don't have a next generation console but I have a PS3 so I will be able to play the game next year that and I don't think I'll buy the next Sony console on day one either there's just something too risky about buying a console on launch day.

#20 Posted by sunnyside_lakes (7 posts) -

OP, here is the answer to your question: "Some other people talk about the limitations of the [current] hardware. We don't feel there are that many limitations. We feel we can do some very impressive stuff and do it for a large audience. This felt like the way... There'll be a much larger audience on PS3 than there will be on PS4. At a creative level, which is the most important for us, we could say everything we wanted to say and do everything we wanted to do on these machines. We didn't sit there saying, "We'd like to do this in the game, but we can't." There's plenty of power in these machines." - Dan Houser

link

#21 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

@Phyrlord:

No one else is with you. You are, and always will be, alone.

#22 Edited by Fjordson (2432 posts) -

It'd be neat, but at the same time, we wouldn't get to play this until like 2015 at the earliest. With what R* puts into their open-world games, they're looking for a pretty big return. 20 million in sales at least. With 360 and PS3, they have over a 120 million potential consoles to sell to. Consoles that they've had tremendous success on multiple times this generation.

With a new platform, it's never guaranteed if it'll catch on quickly and develop a large userbase. Plus they've talked in the past how they had some struggles mastering the HD consoles for GTA IV. The fact that they have such a good grasp of them now allows them to really go all out with what they're trying to do for GTA V.

#23 Posted by Phyrlord (171 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Phyrlord:

No one else is with you. You are, and always will be, alone.

#24 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@sunnyside_lakes said:

OP, here is the answer to your question: "Some other people talk about the limitations of the [current] hardware. We don't feel there are that many limitations. We feel we can do some very impressive stuff and do it for a large audience. This felt like the way... There'll be a much larger audience on PS3 than there will be on PS4. At a creative level, which is the most important for us, we could say everything we wanted to say and do everything we wanted to do on these machines. We didn't sit there saying, "We'd like to do this in the game, but we can't." There's plenty of power in these machines." - Dan Houser

link

Honestly I wish more developers had this line of thinking.

@Jams said:

@Icemo said:

Problem unsolved.

Dude, Rockstar always says this shit about PC versions, and they almost always come out six months down the line. There has never been a mainline GTA that hasn't come to PC; you really think GTAV is going to be any different?

#25 Posted by faizanali (9 posts) -

Can anyone make sure that RAGE now supports Global Illumination/Radiosity Lighting?

I think that one picture does not prove anything but he might be right, right? http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=534374&st=0&#entry1061952271

#26 Posted by faizanali (9 posts) -

Can anyone make sure that RAGE now supports Global Illumination/Radiosity Lighting?

I think that one picture does not prove anything but he might be right, right? http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=534374&st=0&#entry1061952271

Hitman Absolution features Global Illumination.

#27 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Phyrlord said:

Its being developed for the next Xbox along side the PC port is my guess.

#28 Posted by sunnyside_lakes (7 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Phyrlord said:

Its being developed for the next Xbox along side the PC port is my guess.

Nope, it isn't.

#29 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

Just think of it as the final games for this generation. I'll be playing on PC so doesn't really bother me anyway :D

#30 Posted by ShaggE (6698 posts) -

Nope. Rockstar jank on top of open world jank on top of launch-title jank? Ugh.

Max Payne 3 shows me that Rockstar can squeeze a LOT of juice out of hardware. Current-gen is fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.