No Gameplay Videos?

#1 Posted by NoRemnants (378 posts) -

Does anyone else find it strange that a game that is supposed to be coming out in only a few months has absolutely zero gameplay footage available?

#2 Posted by CaptainObvious (2995 posts) -

Not really.

#3 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Nope.

#4 Posted by Wacomole (815 posts) -

@NoRemnants said:

Does anyone else find it strange that a game that is supposed to be coming out in only a few months has absolutely zero gameplay footage available?

Didn't the last two videos have footage from the game in them?

#5 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2213 posts) -

GTA 4 got the same treatment, no videos of game play till a week before it was released.

#6 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

Grand theft auto.

This is how they do.

#7 Posted by Tearhead (2155 posts) -

We'll buy it anyway, they don't need to show us shit until they want to.

#8 Posted by nasseh (82 posts) -

Yeah, not very strange at all, it's like this with most all GTA games. I prefer it this way, anyway.

#9 Edited by Ares42 (2588 posts) -

Actually, it is sorta strange that it hasn't gotten the trailer treatment Rockstar gave RDR, LA Noire and Max Payne 3. Guess they finally figured it was getting old, or maybe they just think people already know what they need to know about GTA.

#10 Posted by Confirm4Crit (138 posts) -

I think I'll survive. Unless GTA 5 is suddenly turn based or something, there isn't much they can do that'll negatively surprise me.

Now I want it to be turn based :o

#11 Posted by Grixxel (763 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

Actually, it is sorta strange that it hasn't gotten the trailer treatment Rockstar gave RDR, LA Noire and Max Payne 3. Guess they finally figured it was getting old, or maybe they just don't think people already know what they need to know about GTA:

They probably figured they can save themselves alot of money by not marketing it as much. It -is- a GTA game. One mass released video at some point should be enough.

#12 Posted by Chaser324 (6335 posts) -

@Ares42: Personally, I found those clinical gameplay breakdown videos that they did for RDR, LA Noire, and Max Payne 3 a little off-putting. I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar returns to their old ways of only releasing theatrical style trailers for GTA V, if for no other reason than the fact that it has proven more than sufficient for every prior GTA release.

#13 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6387 posts) -

It may not be getting the voice-over trailers the past few Rockstar games have released but I think that this leaves the game as a lot more interesting as it would be otherwise, and Rockstar, knowing that it's a Grand Theft Auto game and will sell high magnitudes of copies regardless of trailers, is probably banking on others feeling the same way as I do.

#14 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

It may not be getting the voice-over trailers the past few Rockstar games have released but I think that this leaves the game as a lot more interesting as it would be otherwise, and Rockstar, knowing that it's a Grand Theft Auto game and will sell high magnitudes of copies regardless of trailers, is probably banking on others feeling the same way as I do.

This.

I anticipate they will do those same breakdown trailers though in like a month.

But it's awesome that they are keeping so much under wraps. I'm going to exercise all my self control to try to go into this without knowing any more.

@Chaser324 said:

@Ares42: Personally, I found those clinical gameplay breakdown videos that they did for RDR, LA Noire, and Max Payne 3 a little off-putting. I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar returns to their old ways of only releasing theatrical style trailers for GTA V, if for no other reason than the fact that it has proven more than sufficient for every prior GTA release.

I think a lot of people loved those trailers. Especially Red Dead's. But the distinction is that GTA doesn't need to be explained like those games did. So It's not necessary That being said, I am expecting those trailers to come out a couple weeks before release.

#15 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

That whole trailer is in engine, so everything you see in that will be in the game

They do it with all their trailers, which is something I admire.

@Chaser324 said:

I can't remember any such thing, unless it came out after release or something, I don't think I have ever seen a gameplay demo of a Rockstar game before release.

I think it's why I get so exited over Rockstar games compared to any other, like I had seen zero gameplay for Red Dead and GTA IV and there was just so much more surprises rolling around that world the first few hours. And then you see something like Bioshock Infinite, a sequel to one of the best games ever made, and they have shown atleast over a hour of gameplay by now, Bioshock was a special experience because I had none of that going in, but with Infinite I feel I pretty much know the villians, the damsel in distress, the combat, the world and city design and the overall tone, all they had to say was Ken Levine is making another Bioshock, had some Matrix style ad campaign like "What is Infinite?", and I feel this game is just not going to be as great as Bioshock for the simple fact that I feel I know alot about this game already...

#16 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

That whole trailer is in engine, so everything you see in that will be in the game

With their screens too. Some look pretty ugly in spots but hats off for not using bullshots when just about everyone does that.

#17 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

With their screens too. Some look pretty ugly in spots but hats off for not using bullshots when just about everyone does that.

Its why I always watch each trailer they put out multiple times, like there's a dog in there, game changing. I hope for more stray\domesticated animals around the city and some wild bears and shit in the wilderness.

#18 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2313 posts) -

As others said it's what Rockstar always does. They only usually show gameplay gameplay to the press. (Which they already have) Fans get to see trailers with in game footage.

#19 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Its why I always watch each trailer they put out multiple times, like there's a dog in there, game changing. I hope for more stray\domesticated animals around the city and some wild bears and shit in the wilderness.

haha it's legit going to be very weird seeing dogs and wild life in the country in a GTA game. Expect an angry PETA statement.

#20 Posted by jimmyfenix (3835 posts) -

this is why i love rockstar

#21 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

To be honest, I don't think a Max Payne 3 / Red Dead Redemption series of gameplay videos would fit a GTA game.

#22 Edited by Krullban (1023 posts) -

We literally didn't even see screenshots or any gameplay video(We seen in-engine though.) of GTA IV until like 3 days before it came out. So I don't see why it would be different for this.

#23 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

This is how Rockstar releases stuff. They wait to put out stuff about it unless they want too.

#24 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2413 posts) -

I don't remember them even releasing gameplay of GTA 4, only gameplay I saw before release was videos from people who got it early.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.