NVIDIA just spilled the beans on GTA V for pc

#1 Edited by HoM3R (205 posts) -

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1621562-nvidias-ceo-discusses-f2q-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript

WOW Nvidia just spilled, talking about working on bringing great franchises to pc THIS END OF YEAR with Call of Duty Ghost, Assassins Creed 4 and ......... GTA 5.

Not surprised about the PC version but if its coming this year that sounds insane. I feel if its true Rockstar will announce it this thursday which is insane for them confirming pc before console release. On the other hand them announcing it 1 months after console release and for end of this year will cause a shiz storm for people feeling screwed buying the console version and getting a better version within 3 months.

*EDIT

@andorski said:

nVidia went back on their statement, saying it was a slip of the tongue. Not surprising; no way would Rockstar announce and release a PC version within months of the console version coming out.

#2 Edited by Scampbell (491 posts) -

I think I know which version to get now.

#3 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

@hom3r: "better version".

Yeah, GTA4 on PC was clearly the best version and ran super well.

#4 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Aw hell yes. I'm going to buy it on PS3 for launch as well though, still, good to know the real version's not far away.

#5 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

@scampbell: The Nintendo Wii version of course! Nun-chuckles!

#6 Posted by billymagnum (719 posts) -

this makes me happy

#7 Posted by jArmAhead (192 posts) -

After the initial clusterfuck and if it actually ran, it ran much better than the console version which was stuck at about 23 frames per second, sometimes lower, which also looked blurry as all hell between the stupid filter the game had and the low resolution it ran on.
Also, way to ignore all of the totally solid PC versions Rockstar has produced since then.

#8 Posted by HoM3R (205 posts) -

OFC all speculation but you can see the glass half full and take Max Payne 3 for pc and say GTA4 pc was our GTA3 pc version and now its Vice City / San Andreas time ..... if that sentence makes any sense to ya (it will if your a GTA pc gamer ^^)

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11698 posts) -

@hom3r said:
@synthballs said:

OFC all speculation but you can see the glass half full and take Max Payne 3 for pc and say GTA4 pc was our GTA3 pc version and now its Vice City / San Andreas time ..... if that sentence makes any sense to ya (it will if your a GTA pc gamer ^^)

It didn't; it's quite possibly the worst sentence I've ever read.

#10 Edited by The_Grindilow (429 posts) -

This is fantastic news. Still buying it day one for 360 too though. It's not often I get 'excited' for a game, but hell yes GTA!

#11 Edited by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

Didnt i tell ya!! , Have fun my pc friends when this game comes out for you guys.

#12 Posted by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -

I am holding out for the PC version, but this doesn't suggest anything to me.

The actual quote is:

In contrast, gamers are preparing their systems for a strong roster of games coming this fall, including blockbuster franchises, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Grand Theft Auto V and Assassin's Creed IV.

None of that suggests they're helping out with GTA on the PC, or that rockstar is working on it. It's just a list of games people are excited for, and they threw in one that isn't currently coming to PC. I really don't see any reason to get excited about this statement.

#13 Posted by Scampbell (491 posts) -

@funkydupe: What are you talking about?!

The Dreamcast version is obviously the only RIGHT version.

BELIEVE!

#14 Posted by eskimo (473 posts) -

end of financial year more likely.

#15 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1037 posts) -

Nvidia is a credible source now for rockstar releases?

Keep the prayer/begging alive for a PC release.

#16 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

I've no idea what you're talking about.

#17 Edited by peritus (961 posts) -

I couldn't run it anyway. ;(

#18 Edited by rye256 (116 posts) -

I hope this pans out, I would love to play this on PC.

#19 Posted by kpaadet (409 posts) -

Thats great news, I'll still get it for PS3 as my PC is starting to show its age and I'm too broke to upgrade right now.

#20 Posted by HoM3R (205 posts) -

I am holding out for the PC version, but this doesn't suggest anything to me.

The actual quote is:

In contrast, gamers are preparing their systems for a strong roster of games coming this fall, including blockbuster franchises, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Grand Theft Auto V and Assassin's Creed IV.

None of that suggests they're helping out with GTA on the PC, or that rockstar is working on it. It's just a list of games people are excited for, and they threw in one that isn't currently coming to PC. I really don't see any reason to get excited about this statement.

Gamers preparing their systems is of course getting 8gigs of free memory on their PS3 and 360 for GTA5 ^^ didnt think of that.

#21 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3556 posts) -

@hom3r said:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1621562-nvidias-ceo-discusses-f2q-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript

WOW Nvidia just spilled, talking about working on bringing great franchises to pc THIS END OF YEAR with Call of Duty Ghost, Assassins Creed 4 and ......... GTA 5.

Not surprised about the PC version but if its coming this year that sounds insane. I feel if its true Rockstar will announce it this thursday which is insane for them confirming pc before console release. On the other hand them announcing it 1 months after console release and for end of this year will cause a shiz storm for people feeling screwed buying the console version and getting a better version within 3 months.

That link says 2014, and they're probably talking about the fiscal year as well. People will likely be waiting a lot longer than this December for a PC version of GTA 5.

#22 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Very nice. I own a dusty PS3 but I was gonna hold out and wait for the inevitable PC announcement, and here we go. Playing Red Dead Redemption on the PS3 was a painful chore, I need that Rockstar magic on the PC with mouse headshotting and WASD driving.

Once again, GTA 4 came out in 2008, Max Payne 3 came out in 2012, this is 2013, GTA 5 will not use the old IV engine but the new Max Payne engine, which ran flawlessly on the PC. Max Payne 3 was too good on the PC, it beat some of the long-time PC engines out there.

GTA V will run great on PC because of the previous game that did so, running on the same engine, Max Payne 3, released one year ago.

I'm sure you still think the fact that the new game and the old game share the same name means it will run badly :P

#23 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (479 posts) -

If this turns out to be true I think I'm going to cancel my PS3 pre-order and hold out for a PS4 version.

#24 Posted by cloudymusic (1051 posts) -

Cool. Still sorta holding out for a PS4 version, but at least this lets me feel OK about canceling my 360 version preorder now.

#25 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

Will wait for official announcement but that just made my day if it's true

#26 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3749 posts) -

oooooweeeeee

I'm going to have to double dip on release but going to love a PC version.

#27 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

Why are some people getting attitudes over others wanting to see a PC version that is already coming? There are some nice system war vibes I'm feeling here.

#28 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Surprise announcement for launch day version of GTA V for PS4 and Xbox One at GamesCom? That'd be hella swell.

#29 Posted by Kazona (3059 posts) -

If true, and depending on system requirements, I might just wait for the pc version. Then again, none of my friends game on the pc.

Hmmm... decisions.

#30 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

Hey man, if your machine was not man enough to run it, that's on you.

#31 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3749 posts) -

Why are some people getting attitudes over others wanting to see a PC version that is already coming? There are some nice system war vibes I'm feeling here.

The thing is it's a guarantee, so it's just a matter of when. I hope it's soon.

@thehbk said:

@synthballs said:

Yeah it was unoptimized but over time certainly was the best version.

#32 Edited by forkboy (1116 posts) -

@thehbk said:

@synthballs said:

Oh come off it. That was a lousy port. The people saying that more recent Rockstar PC ports have been much better, but GTA4 was a half-assed job that was inefficient as hell.

That said, I'll still be getting GTA5 on the 360 because I can't be affording to upgrade my PC right now. And that aside, GTA4 was perfectly enjoyable for me on the console, which I must admit was a bit of a surprise because mouse aiming yo.

#33 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

(Double) dip I dip you dip, (double) dip I dip you dip I dip

#34 Edited by MonetaryDread (1992 posts) -

@forkboy said:

@thehbk said:

@synthballs said:

Oh come off it. That was a lousy port. The people saying that more recent Rockstar PC ports have been much better, but GTA4 was a half-assed job that was inefficient as hell.

That said, I'll still be getting GTA5 on the 360 because I can't be affording to upgrade my PC right now. And that aside, GTA4 was perfectly enjoyable for me on the console, which I must admit was a bit of a surprise because mouse aiming yo.

Not really. At launch the game was able to run on my Core 2 Duo with 2gig of ram and an 8800gt at 720p with the lowest settings (still better looking than the 360 port) at a fairly steady 30fps. The issue that people were having is that the game had an instant replay system that recorded your last half-an-hour or so to your HD constantly. All people had to do was disable the instant replay and the issue was gone... unless you had an AMD/ATI part in your system. Then again, that was mostly due to AMD/ATI not getting their drivers in order, so it was hardly Rockstar's fault.

#35 Posted by Rowr (5480 posts) -

I'm really hoping this is true, it's going to be really hard to wait for the pc version otherwise.

#36 Edited by GorillaMoPena (1927 posts) -

Start your piano engines!

#37 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2308 posts) -

It's obviously going to happen, but I would be shocked if they managed to release it this year.

#38 Edited by punkxblaze (2957 posts) -

To be fair, when GTA 4 PC came out, we weren't in the middle of this utopia of wonderful PC versions we're in now. We were still in a land of "Eh, the PC port is kind of shit". Standards have risen, and Rockstar's PC offerings since have been pretty good.

I know people already pointed out that latter bit, but I wanted to point out that the PC wasn't as much of a juggernaut in 2008 as it is now.

#39 Posted by Andorski (5191 posts) -

nVidia went back on their statement, saying it was a slip of the tongue. Not surprising; no way would Rockstar announce and release a PC version within months of the console version coming out.

I still think GTA V will follow the trend of releasing 6-8 months after it's initial launch. I wouldn't be surprised though if they push back a little further so they can also port the game onto Xbox One and PS4. With a (much) later launch they could also set up having some DLC come with the PC/X1/PS4 version to justify a full price tag on an "old" game.

#40 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (983 posts) -

All these GTA mod videos have lead me to the best mod ever, so GTA V for PC needs to happen if only so this can be made again.

#41 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1389 posts) -

Start your piano engines!

That was beautiful ;_;

#42 Edited by believer258 (11635 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@hom3r said:
@synthballs said:

It didn't; it's quite possibly the worst sentence I've ever read.

At first I was like "the worst ever?", but then I was like "the worst ever."

This was posted at 1AM and I take no responsibility for rolled eyes, deep sighs, or keyboards broken by heads smashed against them.

(But really, @hom3r, read that out loud. It makes little sense).

EDIT: Oh, yeah. On-topic posting. Cool news! But GTA V is going to have to make some huge improvements on 4. I didn't get to play 4 until last year, or the year before that, and that game is a wreck. It's ugly to look at and terribly awkward to control. Say what you will about its writing, but I don't want to play a game with those controls when that copy of Saints Row the Third is installed.

#43 Posted by TheHT (10887 posts) -

@believer258: Sure it makes sense. He's saying that GTA3 on PC wasn't a great PC game, but Vice City and San Andreas were, and that GTA4 being a not so great PC game but followed by the better Max Payne 3 would make GTA5 the San Andreas counterpart from a "PC port quality" standpoint.

Of course there's no actual reason to believe that, but I really doubt he was being completely serious. Oh no, but are you not being completely serious either? OH GOD WHAT IS REAL.

#44 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

I have always thought that the reason Rockstar Delayed GTA V, was to work on the PC version and release them at the same time.

I really hope they do, and that this isn't just a mistake, seeing as the PS3/PS4 or something uses an nvidia card

#45 Posted by believer258 (11635 posts) -

@theht said:

@believer258: Sure it makes sense. He's saying that GTA3 on PC wasn't a great PC game, but Vice City and San Andreas were, and that GTA4 being a not so great PC game but followed by the better Max Payne 3 would make GTA5 the San Andreas counterpart from a "PC port quality" standpoint.

Of course there's no actual reason to believe that, but I really doubt he was being completely serious. Oh no, but are you not being completely serious either? OH GOD WHAT IS REAL.

There are far, far better ways of expressing that sentiment than the way he wrote it.

#46 Edited by Castiel (2528 posts) -

(Double) dip I dip you dip, (double) dip I dip you dip I dip

For some reason that reminded me of this:

#47 Posted by HoM3R (205 posts) -
The issue that people were having is that the game had an instant replay system that recorded your last half-an-hour or so to your HD constantly.

Yeah that was terrible about GTA3........ wait what? You talking about GTA4?
O Rockstar what were you thinking!?!?! Maybe dont do that for 5.

#48 Posted by Fearbeard (824 posts) -

I'll be balls deep into the new consoles by the time it comes out. I'll just grab the console versions in September. If it's truly an amazing game then maybe I'll pick up the PC version during a Steam sale.

#49 Edited by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

It didn't run great, but it is still the best version of the game by far. It just requires a fast pc to overcompensate for poor optimization. Mods alone put PC version ahead of the console versions. I own GTA:IV on all platforms.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.