Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Official Release Date 9.17.2013

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nilazz
    No Caption Provided

Rockstar just posted this image in their facebook page. So much for a spring release.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Eh, it's GTA. They can have as much time as is necessary far as I'm concerned.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

Time to wish away my life and count down the days.

It just dawned on me that I was fifteen when GTA IV came out, I'll be twenty one when V comes out. Mad.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SlashDance

Beat me to it.

At this point I kinda want them to release it on the next gen platforms, cause they'll be just a few weeks away, but that will never happen.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By altairre

Fuck, a few seconds too late with my thread.

Still, September seems fine since there are enough games coming out in early 2013.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By FrankCanada97

From Rockstar:

Dear all,

Today, we have an official release date to share with you: Grand Theft Auto V will arrive in stores on September 17, 2013.

We know this is about four months later than originally planned and we know that this short delay will come as a disappointment to many of you, but, trust us, it will be worth the extra time. GTAV is a massively ambitious and complex game and it simply needs a little more polish to be of the standard we and, more importantly, you require.

To all Grand Theft Auto fans, please accept our apologies for the delay, and our promise that the entire team here is working very hard to make the game all it can be. We are doing all we can to help ensure it will meet if not exceed your expectations come September – we thank you for your support and patience.

Yours,

The GTA Team

Is this going to be the last major console game release of current gen consoles?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

I just hope it runs better than GTA IV if they really don't release a PC version in a timely manner, it would seem strange to not do that after how well Max Payne 3 on PC turned out.

GTA IV ran like ass on PS3, didn't run much better on 360 either.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By xyzygy

Wow I guess that invalidates all those dam posters and ads and everything they had set up saying Spring 2013. And it's also kind of sad that they're breaking their May cycle. Oh well, if it's to make the game better than I'm all for it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee

@SlashDance said:

Beat me to it.

At this point I kinda want them to release it on the next gen platforms, cause they'll be just a few weeks away, but that will never happen.

I'm still completely perplexed as to why they didn't. It's the next numbered GTA after all, so you would think that'd relate to a generational jump or something. Plus with what they've been saying about the game, I don't know how they're going to be able to get it running efficiently enough on these console relics of ours. I guess toning down the graphics a little will help, which I'd be fine with. So as long I can play it at a mostly consistent 30fps, then that's all that'll matter.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Vextroid

It will be spring in Australia/Eastern Hemisphere, so technically it's still a spring release.

I'm glad it got pushed back, as hopefully by then I have job and some income so I can buy it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mosespippy

@Yummylee said:

@SlashDance said:

Beat me to it.

I'm still completely perplexed as to why they didn't. It's the next numbered GTA after all, so you would think that'd relate to a generational jump or something. Plus with what they've been saying about the game, I don't know how they're going to be able to get it running efficiently enough on these console relics of ours. I guess toning down the graphics a little will help, which I'd be fine with. So as long I can play it at a mostly consistent 30fps, then that's all that'll matter.

100 million Xboxes and PS3s sold vs 0 Orbis and Durangos sold. Seems like a pretty good reason why.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By WightnNerdy

I guess this will be the last big game before the next Xbox. That's assuming the next Xbox is hitting in November.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OfficeGamer

Woah, September?.... PC port coming 2014 then. That's a year from now. Awesome.....

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SlashDance

@mosespippy said:

@Yummylee said:

@SlashDance said:

Beat me to it.

100 million Xboxes and PS3s sold vs 0 Orbis and Durangos sold. Seems like a pretty good reason why.

Then put it out on both ! It will still sell like crazy on the current systems because it comes out there first, and then you get people to buy the new ones because you have fucking GTA at launch !

Not that Rockstar cares, so again it will never happen.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@mosespippy said:

@Yummylee said:

@SlashDance said:

Beat me to it.

I mean why didn't they decide to start making GTAV with next-gen consoles in mind from the start. No matter how great GTAV turns out, there'll always be the question of how much better it could have been on the new consoles. There's no doubt going to be a next-gen GTAVI in due time anyway, but these consoles are fucking old. And for a game as ambitious as GTAV, I'd be much more comfortable it was to be an eventual next-gen release instead.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

PC, 360, PS3 and new Xbox launch title. Calling it!

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Yummylee said:

@mosespippy said:

@Yummylee said:

@SlashDance said:

Beat me to it.

I mean why didn't they decide to start making GTAV with next-gen consoles in mind from the start. No matter how great GTAV turns out, there'll always be the question of how much better it could have been on the new consoles. There's no doubt going to be a next-gen GTAVI in due time anyway, but these consoles are fucking old. And for a game as ambitious as GTAV, I'd be much more comfortable it was to be an eventual next-gen release instead.

Yeah, but do you remember how much they had to scale GTAIV back in terms of stuff you can do because they didn't know the architecture of the platforms as well? Don't get me wrong, I loved GTAIV, but the shift from San Andreas wasn't just in tone. I imagine that they feel way more confident with the current hardware which, in turn, allows them to try and be so ambitious with GTAV.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AngelN7

@SlashDance said:

Beat me to it.

Wait both next-gen consoles are getting announced and released this year?... that can't be right.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail

Have they mentioned a PC release at all?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By probablytuna

Damn it, looks like it's gonna be a longer wait than expected..

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Seppli

I still held some hopes for a Spring release, but alas... no such luck. Oh well, Spring is packed as it is, and September is just about when the Summer heat breaks. Let's just hope the world doesn't end 'til then, and have us a great time with GTA V.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By artelinarose

@Hitchenson said:

Time to wish away my life and count down the days.

It just dawned on me that I was fifteen when GTA IV came out, I'll be twenty one when V comes out. Mad.

This time you we able to play GTA while completely wasted which makes it a whole different kind of amazing.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By laserbolts

This wait is going to kill me.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JZ

Well I know what I'm not doing on that day.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yummylee

@CrossTheAtlantic: Was that really the fault of the consoles, though? I think the change in tone accounted for a lot of why most of San Andreas' gameplay mechanics were removed. Plus just look at GTAIII and what they managed to get done just with about a year into the console's lifespan. It's all about whether it can run well, though. I'm just hoping that GTAV doesn't end up like, say, Far Cry 3, chugging along at around 22fps at best -- which for me personally made it nigh unplayable speaking for the PS3 version.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Optix12

They better release the game on PC, as people have mentioned max payne 3 on PC was surprisingly great considering it came out so close to the console versions (which rarely happens for rockstar lately). I wont even mind waiting the standard 3-6 months after I guess if they don't release it on next gen consoles because my computer is probably going to be very similar to the next gen consoles with what it already has.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nilazz

Time to bring out the tents and start standing in line!

PHenry1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PHenry1991

It's probably better for a bunch of games coming out this spring, that GTA is launching in September. But, I've always been a bit confused about why this isn't a next-gen console game. Or why it's not coming out on both the old hardware and the new consoles. Maybe the new consoles aren't coming this year? Maybe they're coming in early 2014?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By toowalrus
    @Snail

No... jerks.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Snail

@TooWalrus said:

@Snail

No... jerks.

Hmpf, jerks indeed. I just hope this doesn't go the same way as Red Dead Redemption. But it can't, right? I mean it's GTA. It has one of the most ridiculous and robust modding communities out there.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dingofighter

Calling it now, it will be delayed until spring 2014! 
    If you don't believe me, use a time machine and travel into the future where that happens. If it doesn't, you've got the wrong future.

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FLYmeatwad

Damn it. I'm relatively excited for GTA V, loved RDR that's for sure and most of the other 'recent' GTAs (not much on III and only slightly higher on IV), but the longer it takes Rockstar to release this the farther away Bully 2 potentially is. Or another open world franchise that could maybe be cooler than GTA. Whatever, still buying this day one. Just wish there was more than BioShock and handheld stuff to get me excited in the Spring/Summer this year.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jacksmedulla

@Hitchenson: I turn 21 in 11 days. I still have a hard time grasping how long it has been since I bought a 360 in 2006.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Yummylee: It might not have been the fault of the consoles (though, I recall lots of early games this generation feeling that way as developers made the jump up to new engines/textures), but remember that they had just recently built RAGE and this was the first full fledged game to run on it (not counting the table top one). Plus, the workload of moving up from the textures and resolution they were using on the GTAIII games was probably substantial. I don't know much about the scaling capabilities for RAGE, but I imagine that using the engine they have now and (probably) know very well made it easier for them to take such risks and strides in designing the game when new hardware would have a lot more technical work that would need to be done before they could even get to the ambitious design.

I'm only speculating here obviously, but I just wouldn't be surprised if they sat down and saw that they can either push the current engine to its extreme and do a bunch of stuff or spend the time putting the new engine together and do less stuff--unless they wanted to spend even longer working on it.

I'm sure whenever the next generation GTA does come out though, it'll be awesome as shit.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

That is my birthday

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By wmoyer83

Does anyone think this delay may have anything to do with all of the gun control and anti-violent video game stuff?

Oh well, that should give me time to finish Metal Gear Rising, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, Tomb Raider, and all of the crap in my pile of shame.

platina32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By platina32

This was in the line of expectation, right? Rockstar always takes their time with releasing games. At least now we know what date to pin down to reserve some money for :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.