Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

One Lap Races on Short Tracks - What's Your Take on Farming?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll One Lap Races on Short Tracks - What's Your Take on Farming? (40 votes)

I don't care for obvious race farming. It comes at the cost of the experience. 20%
    I'm all about the money! Mo money, no problem! 20%
    I don't care either way. 58%
    See results. 3%

One lap races on short tracks are rampant. Farming. What's your take?

• 
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Are we talking about tractor races? I love tractor races.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I imagine this is talking about the GTA favorite race for farming - Criminal Records.

If thats the case then I don't really care. Considering some fairly hard missions (for instance the Martin mission where you have to assault a mansion, kill a guy, take a photo of his body and then fight your way out through a 3-4 star cop rating) pay out $2500 it's almost a necessity to farm if you want to get any sort of money in a sensible matter of time.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I forgot to attach the poll to the GTA V forums... my bad.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Seppli

@humanity said:

I imagine this is talking about the GTA favorite race for farming - Criminal Records.

If thats the case then I don't really care. Considering some fairly hard missions (for instance the Martin mission where you have to assault a mansion, kill a guy, take a photo of his body and then fight your way out through a 3-4 star cop rating) pay out $2500 it's almost a necessity to farm if you want to get any sort of money in a sensible matter of time.

Yeah - but really what's the problem with doing 3 laps on Criminal Records? At least it's a race then, and not who gets fucked the least in the start-up.

One lap races on those tracks really don't embody the spirit of a race anymore, especially with how many losers there are, who think ramming for 4th place or something is a winning tactic.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I thought you don't get money for running races alone?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't see myself winning 42 races in each class (well, however many races were required for each class to unlock everything), plus I didn't want to, I just wanted to mod my cars, so I ran motorcycle CR races for about 1.5-2 hours with a friend a week or so ago. Money was just a bonus, though it helped upgrade a few vehicles.

Can't see myself running that anymore though, as it got kinda boring.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli

@capum15 said:

I couldn't see myself winning 42 races in each class (well, however many races were required for each class to unlock everything), plus I didn't want to, I just wanted to mod my cars, so I ran motorcycle CR races for about 1.5-2 hours with a friend a week or so ago. Money was just a bonus, though it helped upgrade a few vehicles.

Can't see myself running that anymore though, as it got kinda boring.

That's not really how it works though. All cars are the same class. At least that's how it seems to me. No way I've won 42 compact car races, but I sure have a fully souped up Dinka Blista in my garage.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@humanity said:

Yeah - but really what's the problem with doing 3 laps on Criminal Records? At least it's a race then, and not who gets fucked the least in the start-up.

One lap races on those tracks really don't embody the spirit of a race anymore, especially with how many losers there are, who think ramming for 4th place or something is a winning tactic.

Well that one lap races aren't really "races" anymore per-se. It's just farming, the racing part is almost incidental. You also get a decent amount of experience out of it too.

In terms of actually racing then I agree it should be at least 2 laps if it's a short circuit.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By MildMolasses

@seppli said:

can't you do an edit to move this?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

can't you do an edit to move this?

Polls can't be edited for obvious reasons. I guess a mod might be able to move it though.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@seppli said:

@humanity said:

Well that one lap races aren't really "races" anymore per-se. It's just farming, the racing part is almost incidental. You also get a decent amount of experience out of it too.

In terms of actually racing then I agree it should be at least 2 laps if it's a short circuit.

It's just too damn frustrating if the only full lobbies I find are farming lobbies.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: Really? I thought it was class based. That's what I've read everywhere, and then some people said that motorcycle races unlock upgrades for all types so me and my friend did that.

Either way I'm just happy I can mod vehicles fully now. Well, almost fully counting level-based locks.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:

@seppli: Really? I thought it was class based. That's what I've read everywhere, and then some people said that motorcycle races unlock upgrades for all types so me and my friend did that.

Either way I'm just happy I can mod vehicles fully now. Well, almost fully counting level-based locks.

Guess that's it then. I've done lots of motorcycle races.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Whenever I come across those lobbies I usually win a race or two (it's not hard considering the farmers don't know how to race) then bail to find a real race.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its fine now that they've gimped mission payouts.

Last night i did a mission. We had to raid a group of guys and their cars. Kill them all (like a dozen or so), get into their car to check the GPS. Then we drove to a scrap yard and had to fight oh...20+ dudes (on the ohter side of the city). Then we had to hack a laptop and defend the dude who was hacking the laptop. Then we had to drive all they way accross the city to an airport and raid a hanger. Steal some coke. Blow up 5-6 cars, then shoot down a jet. Then we had to drive back to madrazo's house. (which was on the other side of the city again).

I had a TON of fun wiht that mission. It was one of the most fun missions i've done in online, it was super hard as well due to its length, i was the only one alive at the end.

It paid 8,500 bucks. THATS IT.

When you can get more money from a minute long race then a 20 minute long co-op mission. Theres a MAJOR problem.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for them, I guess? If the game isn't rewarding enough to play the right way, then do whatever you can to wrestle some enjoyment out of it. I guess the question I'd ask is, if this is what you have to do to actually enjoy the game, is it really worth playing in the first place? I mean, I had no problem putting hours into the single player without the incentive of seeing my numbers get bigger.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Humanity

@clonedzero: Yah I noticed the latest patch like halfed mission payouts, but they did nothing to reduce how much damage you take, how accurate the AI is, or even how many lives you get per mission. Seriously just give EVERY mission participant 3 lives, some of those shits are super long, not to mention that you get ZERO of anything if you don't win.

It almost feels like a Free-to-Play game at this point where earning money through honest means is really difficult and simply purchasing it from them is a much easier answer.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Grissefar

I ain't above some 1 lap Down the Drain races since it doesn't feel tedious in the least. Just mix it up with GTA races and different vehicles.

The fucked up messed up thing is how poorly balanced the rewards are. A 7-minute long ass lvl 40 point to point race may give the winner 7000 bucks. Meanwhile, a 1:20 minute lvl 1 race may give the winner 12000 bucks - what the fuck man? And no extra reward for extra laps so that's messed up. And winning a 16-man race yields the SAME reward as winning a 3-4 man race. No correlation between effort/achievement and reward whatsoever.

Heck, if you do 2-man races, you will get either 7000 or 3800 for a 1:20 race. Meanwhile the guy getting a nice 5th place in the 16 player 2:30 race might get 1500 if he is lucky.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Farm away. They put in microtransactions so there are already more scummy ways to make GTA$.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading the recap of that Madrozzo mission really puts it in perspective... I've done that several times and had a great time but yes, the payout is hilariously out of proportion to the mission.

In general, racing is a far more efficient way to earn money and level up. Which is a shame, since the missions are actually very flexible and a lot of fun.

It does seem like they're setting the table to sell cash cards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.