Patch 1.06 is out. Let's be the Beachiest of Bums together!

#1 Edited by Skyrider (346 posts) -

So yeah, the Beach Bum update has been released today, along with title update 1.06. Still no heists, obviously, but hey, new stuff! Granted I'll probably spend more time checking out the new clothes and hairstyles than the new jobs, missions or vehicles. They've made a bunch of tweaks as well, so I'll quote them here, along with the patch notes:

DYNAMIC TUNING TO GTA ONLINEIn tandem with today's Title Update, we've also completed a new round of dynamic tuning on the game. This includes changes to the Bad Sport system and continued balancing of rewards for all different types Jobs. Notable adjustments are listed below:

• The Bad Sport penalty for destroying personal vehicles has been reduced significantly.
  • Players will no longer receive a Bad Sport penalty when they are in a non-moving tank and other players crash a vehicle into them.
  • The GTA$ and RP rewards for Races, Deathmatches and Parachuting are now based on the average time they take to complete.
  • Players now receive GTA$ and RP rewards when failing a cooperative Job or being a member of the losing team during a Versus Mission, depending on how long the Job / Mission lasts.
  • Players now receive a bonus GTA$ multiplier for Missions when played at the higher difficulty levels (Normal = 1.25, Hard = 1.5).
  • In Team Deathmatch, all players on a team now receive the same GTA$ and RP rewards, with the winning team getting roughly 4-5x what the losing team receives.
  • Removed some instances of debris in specific Races, including the cardboard from the 'Down the Drain' Race.
  • Deliveries from Pegasus have been reduced from $1,000 to $200.
  • The cost of removing a wanted level by calling Lester has now been scaled based on the amount of stars you have - at a cost of $200 per star.
  • Restricted cars and vehicles that have been added to player garages through exploits have been removed. This includes tanks, helicopters and police vehicles.
  • The following vehicles have been added to the southernsanandreassuperautos.com website in-game: BF Dune Buggy, Canis Bodhi, Karin Rebel, Maibatsu Sanchez 2, Vapid Sadler, Vapid Sandking SWB.
  • To eliminate any remaining vehicle loss issues, an additional automatic cloud save will occur when purchasing a vehicle or vehicle modification.

TITLE UPDATE 1.06 Along with the new Beach Bum update content, automatic Title Update 1.06 also includes a host of fixes and adjustments for Grand Theft Auto Online, which are listed here:

• Fixed an issue where the game would delete your personal Vehicle if you have another player in it when you add a Tracker and Insurance.
  • Fixed an issue where players could become stuck on the aerial view when entering GTA Online with cloud servers down and having just launched a mini-game.
  • Fixed an issue where the mission 'Damaged Goods' would start even though it had previously been completed.
  • Fixed an issue where under rare circumstances players couldn't claim back their personal vehicle in GTA Online.
  • Fixed an issue where under rare circumstances players were able to get the Declasse Sheriff SUV into Los Santos Customs and respray it causing the menus to malfunction.
  • Fixed an issue where in rare circumstances players would lose all personal vehicles after being idle kicked and unable to rejoin an online session.
  • Fixed an issue where players could occasionally get stuck after killing a pedestrian with a golf ball.
  • Corrected an exploit where players would retain their personal vehicle after selling it at Los Santos Customs mod shop by transitioning back and forth between Story Mode and Online.
  • Corrected an exploit where players could keep repeatedly selling a Bati 801 to Los Santos Customs.
  • Corrected an exploit where players were able to duplicate vehicles by accepting a Mission while leaving a high-end garage.
  • Corrected an exploit where a player could start a Team Deathmatch with all players on the same team.
  • Players are no longer able to delete their GTA Online character while the Rockstar cloud servers are unavailable.
#2 Posted by mosespippy (4117 posts) -

Holy shit, you could kill a pedestrian with a golf ball? Now I need to try that.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

@mosespippy: I wouldn't even know how to even go about doing this....

#4 Edited by mosespippy (4117 posts) -

@demoskinos: I assume you hit a golf ball way off course and hope for the best. I know that if you hit the ball at other players there is an animation for them to get the fuck out of the way.

#6 Posted by Coafi (1483 posts) -

Neat, new stuff! I might check this out later today!

#7 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2690 posts) -

I don't give a flying elephant for the updates to 'online', I just want more single player missions. To be honest, I don't see how over five years of development they thought their online was all that important - except technically. They got the whole map on there and you can drive around doing instanced missions...very impressive...not at all fun or interesting long term...but technically worthy of a slow clap.

#8 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I always have assumed GTA V's online is the precursor to a full fledged GTA MMO.

#9 Posted by AlexGBRO (295 posts) -

interesting that there patches are small this one is like 64 mb

i think all heist stuff will just be turn on in some later patch

#10 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

God dammit. Lap paces pay out like 1/4th of what they used to (due to the player base's preference for one lap races). Point to Point races fare better, because they've a fixed length - though it's still quite a wad less for most. Rockstar is pulling a fast one with this. At least for racers like me. I made most my money racing. Having won over 400 races and lost less than 200, my payout average per race must be somewhere around 10k (mostly placed 2nd, when losing). Now? I can't fathom how much less income I'll get per session. A race with less than 4 racers? Less than a grand in many cases. Jesus!

There go my dreams of a tank and chopper and a business jet. Unless I buy Rockstar bucks from PSN... *grrr*

#11 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1028 posts) -

@seppli: Good to hear there still doing all they can to make people hate earning money in that game. I would probably love and play this game all the time if they just let me have the fun vehicles and not have to deal with the CoD leveling every online game has now for no real reason, kinda makes me miss the old PS2 days when everything was there to play with from the get go.

#12 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Jesus - the whole game is super-wonky right now. Bugs bugs bugs everywhere with patch 1.06. The game telling me my car got destroyed, when it wasn't. Winning races with huge leads and the game telling me I got in 4th, paying out less, then telling me I was first, but still counting it as a loss in the stats.

Fun stuff. Not. Guess I'm done for good now.

#13 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Good god, one of my personal cars is stuck as labeled *destroyed* by the game, even if I did reclaim it already. Can't use it in races anymore because of it. Just spent over 200k on this specific ride. Fuck this shit. I'm out.

#14 Edited by AngriGhandi (773 posts) -

You know, I didn't have very high expectations for GTA Online, but it turned out to be pretty cool!

The biggest problem with the whole damn thing is not putting the cooperative jobs up front, and/or allowing you to vote for them in the post-match menus. It gives people (the games press, for example) the impression the whole thing is nothing but races, convenience store robbery, and some pretty janky deathmatches. And yeah, it would suck quite a bit if it were that!

Start the new players off with a Lester mission, on the other hand, and I think they would understand the appeal of it all pretty dang quickly.

(Also, everyone should play with free aim turned on. It makes the game much more of a game, and it feels good to not get randomly shot out of your car while driving past a guy at 100 miles per hour.)

#15 Posted by earlygrab666 (42 posts) -

more dang baby steps. I have so much hope for each iteration of GTA online and I'm always just bored. Like someone said above, technically its very impressive, especially after playing that disaster called BF4 online. It's just well, you know, boring. I don't care about grinding away to build up my ken dolls wardrobe or barbie house. I wanna get in a large ass chase with 11 other people all fighting for our mutual survival. You have the engine for it, stop breaking my heart.

#16 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@earlygrab666 said:

more dang baby steps. I have so much hope for each iteration of GTA online and I'm always just bored. Like someone said above, technically its very impressive, especially after playing that disaster called BF4 online. It's just well, you know, boring. I don't care about grinding away to build up my ken dolls wardrobe or barbie house. I wanna get in a large ass chase with 11 other people all fighting for our mutual survival. You have the engine for it, stop breaking my heart.

That's wierd, I was supremely bummed out after having a shit evening with GTA Online, all bugs and shoddy matchmaking - then I jumped into a couple of rounds of BF4 Rush, and now I'm soaring high on endorphin.

Battlefield is the best flowing online game on the market, and for Battlefield veterans, who have learned enough of every aspect of Battlefield-style combined arms warfare to shine at everything, the highs in BF4 can be so flipping high. Higher than anything. Of course, if you just look at how technically unstable it is right now, on pretty much every platform, and put that over the actual gameplay experience - sure, it's not pretty. I'd say my PS3 locks-up every 2-3 hours, mostly on loading screens between maps. I feel like Dawnbreaker and Hainan Resort are especially prone to do that.

GTA Online has similar highs for me, at the best of times. I love driving its cars so much, and racing for the win is super thrilling, when fucking up is easy and the balancing act between courage and taking risks, and discipline and managing risks is so sublimely spot-on - like walking a razor-thin line over an infinite chasm. It's just such a flippin' shame that finding the experience I want is so damn unreliable and slow.

#17 Posted by earlygrab666 (42 posts) -

sure bf4 is fun. That is kinda my point though. GTA has a great online engine going and they waste it on mini games and virtual shopping. I cant think of anything lamer. Meanwhile BF4 maintains amazing gameplay with the buggiest online launch in years. Ever just stop walking and realize its because a fence texture was still drawing on? That is the kind of sillyness you just don't see in GTA online.

auto aim kinda ruins it to, but that's a whole other argument.

#18 Edited by GreggD (4489 posts) -
@monkeyking1969 said:

I don't give a flying elephant for the updates to 'online', I just want more single player missions. To be honest, I don't see how over five years of development they thought their online was all that important - except technically. They got the whole map on there and you can drive around doing instanced missions...very impressive...not at all fun or interesting long term...but technically worthy of a slow clap.

Couldn't disagree more, I'm having a blast. Also, the new BF buggy...holy shit. My enjoyment might be coming from the role-playing aspect I've introduced to my character's personality, though. He's a 1960's/70's biker, akin to Easy Rider. He only drives old bikes, choppers, and muscle cars. The BF is the only exception to the rule. I bought the collector's edition, so I started out with the offspring of Claude Speed and Misty from GTAIII, dressed the same as Claude, and resemblance being dominated by him and everything. He looked awesome, but I got bored of the look after a while, and decided to go the biker route. Today's new hair options are great for this, because one of them looks like a 1970's shaggy long hairdo. Oh, and the Hotknife is the best vehicle hands down. Not to mention I'm the only one driving it in every game I join, and get compliments and such. Honestly, GTAOnline is what you make of it, and you get back way more when you put in as much. Get creative, and it pays dividends.

#19 Posted by earlygrab666 (42 posts) -

@greggd: What does dressing up your doll have to do with being creative? Yes, the idea of contributing your imagination more is great, I get that when I play cars with my kids, but for now I'd like my GTA to have it's own balls.

#20 Posted by GreggD (4489 posts) -

@greggd: What does dressing up your doll have to do with being creative? Yes, the idea of contributing your imagination more is great, I get that when I play cars with my kids, but for now I'd like my GTA to have it's own balls.

Wow, way to be condescending as fuck. And yeah, the missions get way better as you level up, but some people just aren't that patient.

#22 Posted by earlygrab666 (42 posts) -

@greggd: sorry, I misplaced my jabs at the game as stupid jokes at your expense. Yes, sorry and fuck me.

To my point, I have zero interest in creating an avatar and doing mundane activities. Isn't that what that whole Sony home thing was?

#23 Posted by GreggD (4489 posts) -

@greggd:

To my point, I have zero interest in creating an avatar and doing mundane activities. Isn't that what that whole Sony home thing was?

Mundane? Care to explain what is so different between the activities in GTAO and GTAV? They are like, 99% the same, minus clever mini-games. (unless you count lock picking and keypad hacking) Sure, they're not as story-oriented as the ones from the uh...story, but they are still fun, and even more-so when you have co-op partners, double if they are friends you're chatting with in a party.

#24 Posted by mosespippy (4117 posts) -

Auto aim just makes it a different kind of game. It's no longer a game about being an accurate shot. It's a game about knowing where people are going to appear. Knowing how people are going to traverse the area and how to get the jump on them is what it's all about. Now if only I wasn't constantly marked on the map as a Power Player I'd actually play it more often.

#25 Posted by GreggD (4489 posts) -

@earlygrab666 said:

Auto aim just makes it a different kind of game. It's no longer a game about being an accurate shot. It's a game about knowing where people are going to appear. Knowing how people are going to traverse the area and how to get the jump on them is what it's all about. Now if only I wasn't constantly marked on the map as a Power Player I'd actually play it more often.

I mean, if you turn off auto-aim and jump into online by yourself, you'll be put in a lobby with players who also use free aim.

#26 Posted by earlygrab666 (42 posts) -

@greggd: auto aim/non auto aim. It's hard enough to get people to stop managing assets to fill a room up to play a full mission. The split community makes it worse. Most just want a quick path to more money which seems to be racing because that is all people want to do. I didn't get very far, so maybe the missions get more exciting, but for the grind, the morons, the team kills, the inability to get a room full for anything but racing, the lack of very simple support, it does not interest me anymore and I hate to admit but I'm mad bro. I want never wanted to take that game out of my tray.

#27 Posted by GreggD (4489 posts) -

@earlygrab666: If you're a 360 player, I'll gladly add you on XBL and play with you and help level you up.

#28 Edited by Humanity (9054 posts) -

I want to be positive and think the rewards being scaled according to time spent will mean they'll scale up.. but I think I know better. Then again winning first place in a 4 person race on Down the Drain, which takes like under 2 minutes, would net you $13,500 - the same amount for winning first place in that race which goes around the entire map and takes almost 10 minutes (depending on car class). So hopefully that super long race will give you more money now.

Also I don't know if people figured out how to glitch stats now too because a few days ago I was racing with a guy that had the Elegy, that free car you get for signing up to Social Club, and he was blowing past everyone. That car is not that fast, or at least not according to the stats it's not.

#29 Edited by Yummylee (21506 posts) -

Eh, the clothes suck, the hairstyles suck, the weapons suck, the cars are OK, and I could not give any less of a shit about more deathmatch and survival missions, easily the two worst 'mission' types for that whole thing. Yeaaah... I mostly came on to check the new stuff, and then proceeded to shelf the game again once that was done.

Even with friends I've found GTA Online to be incredibly boring now, and I've spent so much time within the world that I'm starting to get a little sick of it all... the music (WHY DO VEHICLES ALWAYS DEFAULT TO CHANNEL X GAAAAAAH), the pedestrian dialogue, the scenery -- all of it.

I at least had some fun for the first 3-4 weeks, but until the heists are released (which I'm almost certain are just going to be those Fleece banks, and also that empty bank from the trailer) I think I'm done with the Online. A bunch of new bikinis isn't enough to keep me stuck in for long, Rockstar. Too little too late.

#30 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@yummylee: Survival could be better if enemies didn't spawn in out of thin air in a way that you see them appearing out of nowhere. Also the maps are bad for it mostly.

Deathmatch I've started to come around on. My biggest issue was that in Team Deathmatch the person with the highest score on your own team got more money than the others - which they've thankfully fixed.

Like most games GTA is starting to turn into an interactive chatroom for me. I load it up, mostly cause nothing else is out right now, and I talk to friends in party chat while mindlessly doing races. It doesn't help that none of my friends really play it anymore.. When Black Flag comes out for PC at the end of the week I think I'll finally be free to move on.

They really messed up with the heists. I doubt it will be amazing, but at this point the initial playerbase is moving on and it's just taking too long to fix a lot of the glaring issues the online continues to have.

#31 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I don't really mind the patch changes, sure its a bummer. But the only thing you need a shitload of cash for is the Supercars (which i'm not a huge fan of anyways). I even had my character accidentally deleted last week (User error on my friends part, not rockstar)

The Beach Bum stuff...Well that free dune buggy thing is pretty awesome. The weapons are lame and pointless but whatever.

I'm still personally having tons of fun with GTA:Online. It's still my current "go-to" game, and will probably remain that way for quite some time. (till i grab a PS4 probably)

It sucks they nerfed the easy race cash, but come on, race cash was fucked balance-wise. Granted, instead of nerfing race rewards they should have just tweeked it a bit and buffed the rewards for missions, especially challenging ones. They just need to do something nice for players instead of constantly nerfing rewards. Cus that god damn blows.

#32 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@clonedzero: I think race cash was just fine. Criminal Records only gave you like $3k for a win while slightly longer races were much better. My favorite was Downtown Underground which was a "8" shaped track in the city and with only two racers gave you $7k for the winner, 9k with 3 people and 13k with 4 people. It was fair in that way longer missions gave shit money and you didn't even get anything if you failed. Remember when we tried doing that one mission like 3 times in a row where we had to steal the truck from the ballers? Third time through we were almost home free then an enemy truck drove in front of us and instantly kill us both with one spray, depleting mission lives. Three attempts ending in failure and a grand total of $0 for 15-20 wasted minutes.

The one thing they NEED to fix and I can't believe they haven't are mission lives. Either don't make it shared or up the lives because 2 shared is way too little.

#33 Posted by mosespippy (4117 posts) -

Haven't tried a race yet but I don't like the new balance changes for deathmatch. In a room with three or four enemies where kills are scarce the rewards are great because the game takes forever to end. In a game where you have ample targets and finish it off quick you don't get as great a reward. Once again the game makes being good a punishment.

#34 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

Haven't tried a race yet but I don't like the new balance changes for deathmatch. In a room with three or four enemies where kills are scarce the rewards are great because the game takes forever to end. In a game where you have ample targets and finish it off quick you don't get as great a reward. Once again the game makes being good a punishment.

The racing payouts got butchered. Prepare to make $2000-3000 for placing first now, and around $300 for anything below second. It's kind of ridiculous.

#35 Edited by Crash_Happy (663 posts) -

I always have assumed GTA V's online is the precursor to a full fledged GTA MMO.

Yes, they seem to be taking steps that way to me too.

#36 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

I agree. Could be great, but they do a really amazing job of NOT putting the fun stuff front and center. There should be a LOT more stuff, that pays out motivating-ly high $/RP, that pulls players together in the world instead of in deserted lobbies. Like the instances where Simeon requests a specific vehicle - it happens in the world, not a lobby, and when multiple people go for it it's almost like a cross country capture the flag free for all.

It shows the potential that could really come out if they'd step up their game instead of adding MOAR PARACHUTING YAY! Also, it wouldn't hurt if they'd figure out the GTA V internet bug so I could actually use the internet without glitching the game out.

It gives people (the games press, for example) the impression the whole thing is nothing but races, convenience store robbery, and some pretty janky deathmatches. And yeah, it would suck quite a bit if it were that!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.