PC holding patterners, sound off.....

#1 Posted by MondyofAus (27 posts) -

Who else apart from me is going to try their best to stay off the hype train come September and hold out for a possible PC or next gen version? It's going to be tough as hell, but if it means better visuals and framerate, I'm sure I can bury myself in Rome 2 and the Star Citizen dogfighting alpha in the meantime.

#2 Edited by Clonedzero (4050 posts) -

How's that PC version of Red Dead treating ya?

#3 Posted by Nictel (2368 posts) -

I am holding out to actually find out if it is better than GTA4 which I personally found totally boring. The trailers are looking pretty good though.

#4 Posted by MondyofAus (27 posts) -
#5 Posted by corruptsaves (212 posts) -

My plan is to get a PS4 as soon as it comes out on it.

#6 Edited by Krullban (1021 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

Don't know why you would use that as a reason why GTA V wont come to PC.

GTA 1 - PC

GTA 2 - PC

GTA III - PC

GTA: Vice City - PC

GTA: San Andreas - PC

GTA IV - PC

GTA IV: Lost and the Damned - PC

GTA IV: Ballad of Gay Tony - PC

Red Dead Redemption - Not PC

L.A. Noire - PC

Max Payne 3 - PC

Because RDR didn't come to PC it means this wont too?

#7 Edited by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

I want to play the multiplayer with friends, I'm the only pc gamer of my friends so I guess I'll be buying two copies. You know, because mods.

#8 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

Yeah it will be hard unless the game has any kind of performance hiccups because fuck that noise, I'm not marring my first time playthrough with technical issues, give me that 1080p/60fps baby

#9 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (353 posts) -

Unless there are some horrible performance issues with the PS3 version, I won't have the patience to wait.

#10 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

I'm going to probably rent the PS3 version. That is the extent of my commitment until a PC or next-gen version surfaces.

#11 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

I don't plan to buy it unless it comes to PC. I played IV on consoles and really disliked it because of the need to play it with a controller. So when the podcast becomes a 3 hour GTA show I will just skip past it and avoid everything else.

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

I'm not buying a next-gen console, so I won't be buying GTA V unless they release it on PC, and soon enough that I still care.

#13 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

I'll play the PS3 version, then probably will end up getting the PC version (if there is one) on steam sale a couple months/a year after it comes out, when it's cheaper and there are mods and stuff.

#14 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

A 6-8 month wait for the game is not bad. Saints Row 4 will hold me over in the fall and then I'll play Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed 4. There are plenty of open world games coming out on PC.

#15 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I don't plan to buy it unless it comes to PC.

#16 Posted by joshwent (2056 posts) -

@krullban said:

@clonedzero said:

Don't know why you would use that as a reason why GTA V wont come to PC.

GTA 1 - PC

GTA 2 - PC

GTA III - PC

GTA: Vice City - PC

GTA: San Andreas - PC

GTA IV - PC

GTA IV: Lost and the Damned - PC

GTA IV: Ballad of Gay Tony - PC

Red Dead Redemption - Not PC

L.A. Noire - PC

Max Payne 3 - PC

Because RDR didn't come to PC it means this wont too?

Bully - PC

Midnight Club 2 - PC

Manhunt/2 - PC

etc...

Still though, waiting for the (inevitable) PC release seems dumb to me. Rockstar made this game intentionally for this gen, and they put all their tech into making the best game possible now. If possibly slightly higher textures or whatever really get you off, then go for it, but no PC visual enhancements will drastically change the fact that what's released first is the game they wanted to make.

#17 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

I'd like to say I can hold out, but I'll end up double dipping like I did with GTA4 I'm sure.

#18 Posted by themangalist (1716 posts) -

Oh you shut the fuck u.. up.. *cries in the corner

#19 Posted by Hunter5024 (5511 posts) -

Are graphics and frame rate the most important part of a game to you? If not, you probably shouldn't deprive yourself of an experience that looks interesting to you over something like that. I mean even if they do release a next gen or PC version, it's not going to look that much better, it was built for these consoles.

#20 Posted by Korwin (2814 posts) -

I'll be holding off, a good framerate is pretty important to me.

#21 Edited by insane_shadowblade85 (1381 posts) -

I'll be waiting for a PC release, I've also only seen 2 trailers for the game and haven't been keeping up on news for it, so I'm good on waiting. I'll be antsy to play the game when it comes out and Jeff, or someone else, does a stream or feature on it (you know it'll happen).

#22 Posted by MOAB (374 posts) -

@joshwent said:

If possibly slightly higher textures or whatever really get you off, then go for it, but no PC visual enhancements will drastically change the fact that what's released first is the game they wanted to make.

do you honestly believe they wanted to make a game for hardware that's been out for nearly a decade? the only thing consoles are doing now is holding them back.

#23 Posted by Clonedzero (4050 posts) -

@moab said:

@joshwent said:

If possibly slightly higher textures or whatever really get you off, then go for it, but no PC visual enhancements will drastically change the fact that what's released first is the game they wanted to make.

do you honestly believe they wanted to make a game for hardware that's been out for nearly a decade? the only thing consoles are doing now is holding them back.

Yes. Because they could have EASILY delayed the game a year and made it next-gen? Duh...

#24 Posted by jimmyfenix (3813 posts) -
#25 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

GTA IV was a fucking disaster on console. The framerate dips constantly, it should not have been allowed to be released in that state, especially on PS3. RDR ran much better and the game seemed to run smooth in that gameplay trailer they showed, so I'm hopeful.

But, I'm not about to wait until Rockstar decide they wanna make some more money, I'll just get it on PS3 and hope for the best. My biggest issue with IV which the PC version could not fix (and don't get me wrong, the PC port was horrendous at the time) was the awful gunplay, removal of dumb fun and the overly serious tone.

@hunter5024 said:

Are graphics and frame rate the most important part of a game to you? If not, you probably shouldn't deprive yourself of an experience that looks interesting to you over something like that. I mean even if they do release a next gen or PC version, it's not going to look that much better, it was built for these consoles.

GTA IV on PC is leaps and bounds above the console version in terms of graphics and being capable of running at 60 FPS. If you include some of the graphical mods then the difference is even larger. The textures on the console footage of V so far look terrible, but that's the sacrifice that needs to be made. I'll probably enjoy a future PC version when it's dirt cheap in a Steam sale someday.

Anyway yeah, that's like saying Alan Wake didn't look much better on the PC than it did on 360, which is absurd as that game is gorgeous on PC.

#26 Posted by MOAB (374 posts) -
#27 Posted by Fearbeard (823 posts) -

While I buy most of my games on PC now, I don't see any reason to hold off considering nothing has even been announced yet.

By the time it does release on PC or next gen I'll have long since moved on. If the game is truly incredible and I want to play it again then I'll just pick it up again on the new platform. For example if they released Red Dead Redemption on PC tomorrow I'd happily pick it up even though I played it years ago.

#28 Edited by Kidavenger (3487 posts) -

I'll be waiting until it hits pc or I run out of other games to play.

I'd buy it on console if it wasn't so close to next gen, I can really see myself packing up my PS3 before I get around to playing it.

#29 Posted by joshwent (2056 posts) -

@moab said:

do you honestly believe they wanted to make a game for hardware that's been out for nearly a decade?

Of course. To us that hardware might seem outdated, but to them that's hardware that they're intimately familiar with. GTAV is built on their Rage engine which they've used on 6 current-gen titles, most recently Red Dead and Max Payne 3, so they know exactly what they're doing build-wise on this hardware. GTAIV on consoles had huge frame-rate problems, but it was made on that same engine that's been improved drastically in those recent titles, so we should expect to see even more improvements this time around.

To learn the new stuff is a step backward dev wise because their engine will have to be heavily modified if not completely re-built, and we all know how long Rockstar takes in development anyway. Next-gen just adds to that delay. It's not like you're handed a more powerful box and all your problems go away. You still need to learn how to optimize and for a dev like Rockstar specifically with their history of jankiness, I'll take what they know versus something experimental anyday.

#30 Posted by myketuna (1644 posts) -

I'm also waiting on the PC version. Not so much because of pretty this and mods that, but I just prefer it. Also, I recently moved out and have nothing else I could play the game on. Regardless, I bought GTA IV day one on 360, but didn't really dig into it and finish it until I bought it during a Steam sale on the PC.

#31 Posted by Vextroid (1354 posts) -

As much as I would love it on PC, I'm going to be picking up the PS3 version. I will pick up the PC version whenever it does come out.

#32 Edited by Hunter5024 (5511 posts) -

@sooty said:

GTA IV was a fucking disaster on console. The framerate dips constantly, it should not have been allowed to be released in that state, especially on PS3. RDR ran much better and the game seemed to run smooth in that gameplay trailer they showed, so I'm hopeful.

But, I'm not about to wait until Rockstar decide they wanna make some more money, I'll just get it on PS3 and hope for the best. My biggest issue with IV which the PC version could not fix (and don't get me wrong, the PC port was horrendous at the time) was the awful gunplay, removal of dumb fun and the overly serious tone.

@hunter5024 said:

GTA IV on PC is leaps and bounds above the console version in terms of graphics and being capable of running at 60 FPS. If you include some of the graphical mods then the difference is even larger. The textures on the console footage of V so far look terrible, but that's the sacrifice that needs to be made. I'll probably enjoy a future PC version when it's dirt cheap in a Steam sale someday.

Anyway yeah, that's like saying Alan Wake didn't look much better on the PC than it did on 360, which is absurd as that game is gorgeous on PC.

That may be, but like I said, why would anybody deprive themselves of that experience unless graphics and framerate are like the most important thing to them? It's not like visuals are what makes Grand Theft Auto such a beloved series. Far from it, in fact.

#33 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

After playing games at 1080p/60fps for about a year now, it can be really, really hard to go back to console stuff. I'm having to play Last of Us in short stretches not because of the depressing tone but because I can't stand the technical hiccups. I can tolerate 30 if the game is locked at it but when the game slows down to some nasty 20 frame mess when enemies swarm onscreen the whole magic of being lost in that game's universe is gone and don't get me started on the indoor areas that are filled with particle effects. The camera feels like it's being pulled through molasses and that on top of the noticeable controller input lag just adds yet another obstacle in my way of losing myself in the game.

Instead of being immersed, I'm having to remind myself that I'm playing a game that is struggling to run properly on old ass hardware. I wish that wasn't the case because the game is fantastic; I refuse to have that experience again with something like GTA V.

#34 Posted by Hunter5024 (5511 posts) -

@colourful_hippie said:

@hunter5024 said:

After playing games at 1080p/60fps for about a year now, it can be really, really hard to go back to console stuff. I'm having to play Last of Us in short stretches not because of the depressing tone but because I can't stand the technical hiccups. I can tolerate 30 if the game is locked at it but when the game slows down to some nasty 20 frame mess when enemies swarm onscreen the whole magic of being lost in that game's universe is gone and don't get me started on the indoor areas that are filled with particle effects. The camera feels like it's being pulled through molasses and that on top of the noticeable controller input lag just adds yet another obstacle in my way of losing myself in the game.

Instead of being immersed, I'm having to remind myself that I'm playing a game that is struggling to run properly on old ass hardware. I wish that wasn't the case because the game is fantastic; I refuse to have that experience again with something like GTA V.

Hmm, well I can see why that would be distracting. I've just never had a big problem with technical issues like that, so it's a little hard for me to get it.

#35 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

@hunter5024: It's easy to notice that stuff when you've been playing games at an ideal setting for so long. I'm not at a level where I would say 60 fps or get the fuck out, but I at least expect a solid 30.

#36 Edited by Slaegar (686 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

Framerate, yes. Don't forget the other things that you get with a PC version such as tolerable load times. I spent all Sunday playing Morrowind with the only graphics mod being widescreen support. I can deal with a game not look great, but not running great ruins the experience for me. If I walk into a movie theater excited to watch the latest summer hit and half the screen is broken, I'm gonna ask for my money back.

I got frustrated with GTA 4 too many times because the framerate would go down while doing some car chase scene for the 30th time.

Also as a personal preference I seem to enjoy playing games on my computer monitor than a television. I can play consoles just fine on my monitor since it has HDMI and 3.5mm audio out, but it would be easier just to play it on my PC.

I do miss the novelty of playing games on a console, though. I can see why some people find it fun.

I sure hope GTA 5 comes out on PC, I doubt I'd pick it up for more than $20 if it doesn't.

#37 Posted by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

If it comes to PC then it will come to next gen (Specualtion but Really likely, maybe.), i guess i might have to triple dip if that happens.

#38 Edited by MHumphreys89 (709 posts) -

@sooty said:

GTA IV was a fucking disaster on console. The framerate dips constantly, it should not have been allowed to be released in that state, especially on PS3.

@hunter5024 said:

While the PC port of IV is superior to consoles the frame-rate is terrible in comparison to other ports that are of the same ilk. (Saints Row 3) The PC release could have done with some more time and care... The port does not feel 'optimised' for personal computers, even if you throw high-end hardware at that game it still refuses to give you smooth 60.

Also, I could be mistaken but the trailer they posted a month or two back was running on a PS3 hardware so you could take that as a quality indicator for that platform.

Edit:

Sorry @sooty missed the part where you said the port was bad at the time, although I've played it fairly recently, 2012, and it still chugs on my new machine.

#39 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2285 posts) -

Fuck that. I need to play it as soon as I can, trying to resist would be impossible.

#40 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

@moab: I just wanted to respond that I love your Summer Glau avatar =)

#41 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

I need my 2560x1600.

#42 Posted by Chaser324 (6264 posts) -

I need to play GTA V as soon as humanly possible, but if/when a PC or next gen version is released, I'd probably be willing to make a second purchase.

#43 Posted by dgtlty (152 posts) -

@chaser324: I'm with you. It's a real shame the PC version isn't launching alongside console copies (or even announced yet, c'mon!) because we know it's going to be so much sweeter.

But as the hype continues to build there's no way I'll be able to wait.

#44 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

Eh, I can probably wait for the PC version. I'm pretty good with holding out for stuff I really want, so it shouldn't be too much trouble for me. Besides, I'll have SR4 and Watch Dogs to keep me company till then.

#45 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

Enjoy the wait guys. You have stronger constitutions (and better computers) than I.

#46 Posted by BaneFireLord (2908 posts) -

I need to play GTA V as soon as humanly possible, but if/when a PC or next gen version is released, I'd probably be willing to make a second purchase.

Same boat; I'll nab it during a Steam sale, at the very least. Also, I doubt my current rig could handle GTAV any better than my Xbox can, so I don't see much point in waiting.

#47 Posted by Killercombo (218 posts) -

I will do what I do with every game: rent it on 360 and buy it on Steam down the line in a sale.

#48 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Luckily I haven't let "hype" affect me or childishly cloud my judgement in a few years now. I have an abundance of games to play, I can wait for GTAV a few more months, I've already waited 3 years (since the last GTA-like experience, RDR).

I played the latter on PS3 and my soul was sucked out of me, I can't play real games on consoles, not gonna buy GTAV on PS3 because the aiming and shooting, the framerate, the loading times, everything will fucking suck.

I'd rather wait and play the game right.

I don't want my memory of the game to be bad graphics and molesting the gamepad triggers to have the game aim for me.

#49 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

I'm way to impatient to wait for a possible next gen GTA-V. They didn't confirm it, nor say it won't happen but I don't feel like waiting around for it. But if it does come to Ps4, then I'll probably buy it again. As long as it's good on the Ps3 of course.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.