Rumour: GTA V coming to next-gen in June

#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4160 posts) -

Rumors of next-gen and PC releases for the best-selling Grand Theft Auto V have been floating around since long before the game even launched, but after months of silence from Rockstar, most of us had given up hope for an announcement anytime soon. It’s not much to go on, but considering how long it’s been since the gossip died down, we figured this potential leak was worth covering. TECH-NICK, manager of German retailer Saturn.de, said in a tweet that the release of GTA V for PC, Xbox One and PS4 is expected in June. He clarified in another tweet that the release information is only a rumor. Hopefully we’ll hear more at E3, which also happens to take place in June.

BGR: Grand Theft Auto V rumored to be landing on PS4, Xbox One and PC in June

This has me wondering though, of how much of a next-gen port is this gonna be? Like, is it just gonna be better lighting, or also better textures? I'm guessing this would make a good summer game to come out, and sell way more than any Fall 2014 game. It doesn't even have to compete with CoD this time. Although, the DLC hasn't got announced yet, so I'm hoping it wouldn't come with that.. Hm.

Flying Trevor's plane was probably my favorite part.. Thoughts?

#2 Edited by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

I'm sure it'll look and run better but man, I don't think I could bring myself to play this game again.

#3 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but I doubt there's anyone who's gonna be super psyched about it, unless they announce heist DLC at the same time. I would also not be surprised if, when/if this is announced, it triggered the appearance of Bioshock Infinite levels of backlash. I admit, I still pop into the online every once in a while just to drive around, but yeesh. The multiplayer in that game is kind of fucked.

#4 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1039 posts) -

I'm sure it'll look NS run better but man, I don't think I could bring myself to play this game again.

I'm always up for just flying or driving around in GTA:V. This is one of those timeless games. Imagine remote play on VITA™!

#5 Posted by Andorski (5191 posts) -

Why would I trust a German on anything?!

/'murica

#6 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

it's been over 6 months, so yes it's about time to see that console exclusivity end.

#7 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I look forward to trying this without all the jaggies, might even give the online a fair shot if it comes to a better system.

#8 Edited by AndrewB (7492 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but I doubt there's anyone who's gonna be super psyched about it, unless they announce heist DLC at the same time. I would also not be surprised if, when/if this is announced, it triggered the appearance of Bioshock Infinite levels of backlash. I admit, I still pop into the online every once in a while just to drive around, but yeesh. The multiplayer in that game is kind of fucked.

There's at least me. I didn't play it specifically because I wanted a PC release. PC/next gen, even better.

Backlash like "the game wasn't good after all"? I still don't get that.

#9 Posted by Vinny_Says (5686 posts) -

It would be really cool of them if they released the multiplayer and campaign separately for a reduced cost....just as an option.

#10 Posted by TreeTrunk (111 posts) -

In my dreams the PC version of gta5 will come with a free pc version of Red Dead Redemption as well. Anyway if gta5 comes to pc I will buy it day 1

#11 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2308 posts) -

Ehhhh I'd maybe buy it again if it was like $20.

Also how many different rumors have there been for this re-release goddamn.

#12 Posted by BigSocrates (289 posts) -

I wonder if there will be some kind of digital upgrade path. This is an easy no at $60 but at $20 I might be tempted to jump back in and tool around.

Definitely not going to replay that whole story though. So long and with relatively few highlights. GTA V was a weird game for me. I played a lot until I finished and then it kind of evaporated in my mind so that when I hear about it it takes me a minute to remember that I actually did play and finish it. Left very little impression compared to something like GTA IV or even smallish games like Call of Juarez Gunslinger.

#13 Posted by Jay_Ray (1070 posts) -

June seems awfully close without any official announcement. GTA 5 would be a big enough game that they'd want to announce a few months before hand to at least build some hype.

#14 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

Honestly, I don't even care about the game. GTA IV bored me to tears. I just want it to be released on PC so the console fanboys can already shut up and stop using the "butt teh GATV! consoles are bettur!" argument.

#15 Edited by Humanity (8812 posts) -

I wonder if they'll ever integrate those heists into Online

#16 Edited by Ksaw (341 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

Honestly, I don't even care about the game. GTA IV bored me to tears. I just want it to be released on PC so the console fanboys can already shut up and stop using the "butt teh GATV! consoles are bettur!" argument.

I've never seen or heard of anyone trying to use any GTA release in any sort of "consoles are bettur!" argument.

#17 Posted by Vahleticar (107 posts) -

I could play the shit outta a ps4 version if they improve the framerate, draw distance, add more interiors, more tracks and tv shows

#18 Edited by xyzygy (9895 posts) -

Awesome. Haven't played it yet and would definitely prefer to play it on next gen. Also, hey it's a Saturn! I go there!

@ksaw said:

@joeyravn said:

I've never seen or heard of anyone trying to use any GTA release in any sort of "consoles are bettur!" argument.

Me either. If anything it's the PC people always saying "PC is better".

#19 Posted by Christoffer (1758 posts) -

Well, if I can't trust Tech-Nick, who can I trust really?

#20 Posted by mrfluke (5092 posts) -

ah fuck, im part of the problem, but ill totally buy these rereleases.

holding out to hopefully get a dark souls/demon souls hd rerelease.

#21 Posted by RonGalaxy (2873 posts) -

All GTAV did for me was marvel at how far Rock star was able to push those last gen consoles. Makes me excited to see what they'll be able to do on current gen

#22 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1442 posts) -

I've haven't played it in a while, but is the matchmaking still so supremely terrible that you can never get a game more than half full?

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

I'd gleefully give another $60 for this. Playing at 60fps 1080p with proper AA and a texture bump would be GREAT.

#24 Edited by AlexGBRO (274 posts) -

@narujoe93: well you will have to wait it 3/4 years for a new next rockstar north game

#25 Posted by RonGalaxy (2873 posts) -

@alexgbro said:

@narujoe93: well you will have to wait it 3/4 years for a new next rockstar north game

sure, but rockstar has a bunch of competent studios that could utilize their updated RAGE engine. Max Payne 3 looked even better than GTAV (for the obvious reason of it being a linear third person shooter), and that was rockstar Toronto. Im confident san diego could make an amazing looking game as well.

#26 Posted by AlexGBRO (274 posts) -

@narujoe93: yeah true i'm sure there will be a roackstar game in 2015 (the san diego studio maybe), one fun fact is that rockstart has had a game in each year for al least 6/7 years now

#27 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2927 posts) -

Not gonna happen by June, guarantee it.

#28 Posted by Legion_ (1256 posts) -

On better hardware, the online mode has the potential to be something truly great.

#29 Edited by IroN1c (432 posts) -

As a German I hate to spoil the party, but:

"Tech-Nick" is just an advertising character, used in bad, unfunny commercials for an electronics chain. He's no "manager" or anything. Hell, even the name is just a bad play of words on the German word for electronics, which is "Technik". See what they did there? And the supposedly funny thing about him is that he doesn't talk, but he does Tweet. OH GOD IT'S SO BAD. See for yourself:

As a side note, I really, really love GTA V and I'm one of the weird people that enjoyed GTA Online. So I hope this is true.

#30 Edited by Humanity (8812 posts) -

@iron1c: GTAV Online was rad when you got friends to play with and the matchmaking actually worked

#31 Posted by Universalize (129 posts) -

just wonder how active and large the PC community is going to be and hope that they will work on hack prevention because GTA4 never really had good online support

#32 Edited by xyzygy (9895 posts) -

How is GTA online bad? Can anyone explain it to me?

@iron1c In another tweet he's saying that they're just rumours, and that the company knows next to nothing about this, and that he'll keep people informed if anything gets revealed.

I believe it will come. There's no way Rockstar will wait another 5-6 years to develop another one when they just released one not even a year ago. Porting it over would be awesome.

#33 Posted by AlecOfTheWest (275 posts) -

@xyzygy: it's got a pretty shitty community, but it can be really fun in a private game with your friends.

#34 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

I can't even get my ass through the game a first time, it's so bleh, also I was playing the other day and saying to myself, if this were a good Saint's Row(I think SRIV is shit)I'd be done with this long long ago. I have owned all the GTA games that aren't on a portable system or the expansion packs and I have never finished any of them, I did this with Halo as well, I didn't buy Halo 4 though. Anyway, I hope it doesn't go next gen and PC just so I can see more threads about the possibility. :P

#35 Posted by SomberOwl (638 posts) -

Just improve the loading times and online functionality.

#36 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5235 posts) -

I still haven't played it waiting just for this announcement. Hopefully the rumor's true.

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@xyzygy: it's got a pretty shitty community, but it can be really fun in a private game with your friends.

If you're talking about getting killed by other players well... its GTA that is sort of half of the point. You steal, kill and inch your way to the top of the food chain any way possible.

#38 Edited by Lukeweizer (2608 posts) -

Nothing says "NEXT-GEN" like "old-gen".

#39 Posted by The_Nubster (2047 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

I've only ever heard of PC gamers raising a stink about how much better it could look on PC. I've never had anyone who games exclusively on consoles lord GTA5 over me to make their platform of choice seem better.

#40 Posted by laserguy (439 posts) -

is this why rockstar hasnt announced a game for this year? Shouldnt they be gearing up for an announcement for next years game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.