Should i go back and play THE Ballad Of Gay Tony?

• 50 results
Posted by BigJeffrey (5145 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Should i go back and play THE Ballad Of Gay Tony? (134 votes)

YEZ DO IT 78%
NAH 22%

With all this GTA 5 HYPE fever going around and the podcast talk of GTA4, I realized,that I never finished TBOGT, I think I stopped after blowing stuff up with C4 I think a crane. Should i go back and finish the Expansion from start to finish. Also it was revealed by rockstar that gta4 is part of the gta5 universe sooo?????

I have the liberty city thing on steam.

#1 Edited by StrainedEyes (1328 posts) -

Yeah, I remember enjoying it. Seeing how all three stories tie together was really cool.

#3 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3705 posts) -

I don's see why not dude it was alright for what it's worth and its probably pretty cheap now.

Getting Arab Money~

#4 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4296 posts) -

Gay Tony is the best of the three. Definitely go play it. And the base jumps are good, too.

#5 Edited by falserelic (5480 posts) -

Gay Tony is the best of the three. Definitely go play it. And the base jumps are good, too.

I agree its the best expansion for GTA 4 yet. You won't go wrong bigjeffey trust us.

#6 Posted by cb1115 (135 posts) -

If you're jonesin' for some GTA, why not? I remember it being the best and most ridiculous of the DLC.

#7 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3971 posts) -

I'd probably just wait for GTA V... but it was good.

I actually thought Lost and Damned was cooler though, I really liked the biker theme and Johnny was my favorite player character, and Billy was a cool villain.

#8 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2566 posts) -

I say go for it. Gay Tony was way better than the main game.

#9 Edited by AjayRaz (12465 posts) -

(yes)

#10 Posted by Korwin (2984 posts) -

I've tried a few times recently to pick that game back up, it's just not ageing well from a gameplay standpoint.

#11 Posted by DonutFever (3561 posts) -

Better than GTA IV, and The Lost and Damned.

So yes.

#12 Posted by DonutFever (3561 posts) -

Better than GTA IV, and The Lost and Damned.

So yes.

#13 Posted by Yummylee (22292 posts) -

I actually thought Lost and Damned was cooler though, I really liked the biker theme and Johnny was my favorite player character, and Billy was a cool villain.

Absolutely, especially when it comes to Johnny - guy's great! Though I think Bulgarin was a pretty damn effective villain just as much as Billy. I think what it mainly comes down to is that the L&D executed its intended tone better. TBoGT, while more light-hearted and ridiculous, still didn't make me feel like I was already seated within the upper-class of Liberty City as well as the L&D made me feel like a poor as shit grungy biker guy.

TBoGT had better side missions, though. Specifically its drug running missions were a helluva lot better than L&D's biker gangs, which often resulted in all of my gang members getting overwhelmed and me finishing it all off. The whole leveling up your bikers mechanic was really shallow overall in fact.

#14 Edited by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

Honestly, I'd hold off. Going from one open world game to another could wear you out on the formula.

I'm so crazy, I haven't been playing anything for the past 2 weeks. Wanna really go into it with a fresh mind

I do recommend it though. It's story isnt as good as the base game, but it introduces a lot of ridiculous things that make it a blast to play (a bunch of crazy weapons, parachutes, a tank)

#15 Edited by Yummylee (22292 posts) -

Honestly, I'd hold off. Going from one open world game to another could wear you out on the formula.

I'm so crazy, I haven't been playing anything for the past 2 weeks. Wanna really go into it with a fresh mind

I do recommend it though. It's story isnt as good as the base game, but it introduces a lot of ridiculous things that make it a blast to play (a bunch of crazy weapons, parachutes, a tank)

Well, it was actually an APC, but yeah there's a lot of throwbacks to the olden days of GTA regarding what sort of toys the game gives you to mess around with. That golden uzi thing is goddamn glorious.

#16 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3971 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@artisanbreads said:

Absolutely, especially when it comes to Johnny - guy's great! Though I think Bulgarin was a pretty damn effective villain just as much as Billy. I think what it mainly comes down to is that the L&D executed its intended tone better. TBoGT, while more light-hearted and ridiculous, still didn't make me feel like I was already seated within the upper-class of Liberty City as well as the L&D made me feel like a poor as shit grungy biker guy.

TBoGT had better side missions, though. Specifically its drug running missions were a helluva lot better than L&D's biker gangs, which often resulted in all of my gang members getting overwhelmed and me finishing it all off. The whole leveling up your bikers mechanic was really shallow overall in fact.

Yeah I think gameplay wise Gay Tony did some fun stuff, good job with the side missions. Like you say though, I don't think it really had a cohesive tone... it was supposed to be all party/club culture but that wasn't really there as much as I was hoping when I started it. It was fun, just not as cohesive.

L&D really did put you in that grimey gang culture. It felt like you had a real purpose driving you through the whole story and you really cared about the outcome.

#18 Posted by BaneFireLord (2967 posts) -

Gay Tony is probably my favorite character in all of GTA and Yusuf Amir's missions are a delightful throwback to the excesses of San Andreas, but overall I wouldn't say it's necessary to go back and play it. GTA IV's mechanics have aged terribly and the story is pretty meandering.

#19 Edited by ShaggyDude (142 posts) -

Good idea! I never finished Ballad of Gay Tony either, I think I will get on that before GTA V arrives on my doorstep. Last night I got San Andreas up and running on my PC (which was a huge pain in the ass). I had to fucking hack the Gibson to get my 360 controller to work without crashing the game, but once I had it working I was looking at graphics that put the Xbox version to shame and just listening to the radio in San Andreas made me realize that this particular game changed my personal taste in music in a big way.

#20 Posted by rpoland123 (30 posts) -

I doubt you're very invested in the GTA IV story but for me it was really cool to see where those diamonds ended up

#22 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

THE!

#23 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3971 posts) -

Replayed SAN ANDRES like earlier in the ear, did that recently on 360 (Downloadable version), man San Andres was a wack as game.

Yeh spelling is wack to.

#24 Posted by Noblenerf (331 posts) -

I didn't have much fun with either L&D or Ballad of Gay Tony. I wanted more Niko Bellic and those DLCs did not deliver.

SKIP!

#25 Posted by Milkman (17198 posts) -

I remember not liking the Ballad of Gay Tony very much at all but that may be because I was pretty burned out on GTA IV at that point. I still think Lost & Damned is way better.

#26 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

THE!

THE

@milkman said:

I remember not liking the Ballad of Gay Tony very much at all but that may be because I was pretty burned out on GTA IV at that point. I still think Lost & Damned is way better.

Same. Lost & Damned was excellent. I'd still like to see a full GTA game with that kind of biker gang setting. Or maybe they can do zombie bikers in some DLC for GTA V.

#27 Posted by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -

Yesssss. I put no because I didn't see that you didn't beat it so I'm changing my answer here. That expansions great.

#28 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3971 posts) -

@milkman said:

Same. Lost & Damned was excellent. I'd still like to see a full GTA game with that kind of biker gang setting. Or maybe they can do zombie bikers in some DLC for GTA V.

I'm pretty sure Trevor will give us some of that L&D vibe in GTA V. I know in a preview there was already talk of him having a beef with the Lost gang.

#30 Edited by HoM3R (208 posts) -

I wouldnt because it quenches your GTA thirst and I would want that first GTA V sip to be the best drink i've ever had!

#31 Edited by BigJeffrey (5145 posts) -

Finished it, REALLY enjoyed it, best expansion out of the 2. I'd also say better than actual GAME.

Here are some screenshot that i took documenting my journey.

Pretty great character, Hoping for a GTA V appearance
I BROKE THE FUCKING GAMEE!!!!!!!!!
I HAD NO CLUE WHAT TO DO HERE, but damn that beat was bumping.
One of the highlights of the Expansion walking in here and just being like FUCK YEAH.
GOLDEN FUCKING CHOPPER
DAT ARRAB MONEY!!!!!! HOPE FOR GTA V APPEARANCE
Finishing the game, Last time i will ever see Liberty City cause fuck this game does not age well.

Fuck NIKO this dude should of been the star of the game. also hope for GTA V appearance
#32 Edited by mlarrabee (3031 posts) -

THE Ballad of Gay Tony, no. Another, generic Ballad of Gay Tony, yes.

#33 Posted by Bollard (5762 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

Replayed SAN ANDRES like earlier in the ear, did that recently on 360 (Downloadable version), man San Andres was a wack as game.

Yeh spelling is wack to.

CAPITALISATION is pretty wack Also.

#34 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Uh, I'd skip it. GTA5 is like in 2 days. I liked Lost and the Damned alot more than ballad of gay tony.

Plus i played some GTA4 last week, it hasn't aged very well, mostly in the controls department.

#35 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: I came in here to say that Ballad of Gay Tony to me was better written and more fun than the entirety of GTA4 but I see you finally made a right decision in your life and play it.

#36 Posted by Jimbo (9936 posts) -

Wait... you do mean THE Ballad of Gay Tony, right? Yes you should play that one.

#37 Posted by Jimbo (9936 posts) -

Wait... you do mean THE Ballad of Gay Tony, right? Yes you should play that one.

#38 Edited by BigJeffrey (5145 posts) -

@jimbo said:

Shit i think i played "the Gay Tony".

#39 Edited by MildMolasses (3228 posts) -

Plus i played some GTA4 last week, it hasn't aged very well, mostly in the controls department.

Dear god, it's horrific. I started up TLaD earlier today and everything about moving and driving felt so bad. I really hope there is drastic improvement within 5

#41 Edited by crusader8463 (14427 posts) -

I didn't care for it. I went back and played the biker gang one and found it kind of meh after about half way through. I tried Gay Tony but wouldn't play past an hour or two. I just didn't find any of the characters fun.

#42 Posted by Glottery (1361 posts) -

I enjoyed both DLCs, but Lopez is probably the worst main character of all the GTA titles I've played. No charisma at all.

#43 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6401 posts) -

Dude, Grand Theft Auto IV MADE this generation of consoles for me and Ballad of gay Tony only improved that spectacular experience.

GO GET SOME ARRRAB MUNEH

#44 Posted by Hunter5024 (5905 posts) -

I never played either one, but I always meant to, and now I feel like it's been too long.

#45 Posted by Zaccheus (1801 posts) -

I tried to play the DLC lately and it was just unplayable for me... Everything about how the game plays just feels awful to me. I think playing Red Dead Redemption made it impossible for me to go back.

#46 Edited by BigJeffrey (5145 posts) -

@zaccheus said:

I tried to play the DLC lately and it was just unplayable for me... Everything about how the game plays just feels awful to me. I think playing Red Dead Redemption made it impossible for me to go back.

Yeah the helicopter missions were atrocious, but i fought threw the terribleness.

#47 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

@zaccheus said:

Lost and the Damned is really terrible on every level. Gay Tony is light hearted in the perfect way and serious when it needs to be - they may have tweaked the cars a bit to handle less like whales but I think the fact that you're driving high end cars throughout the DLC which always handled almost acceptably is why I remember it playing better.

I do recall that even at the time of release I kept thinking something is wrong with my 360 when playing GTA4.

#48 Posted by hxcaleb (86 posts) -

I'm actually in the process of playing it right now, but I don't think I'll have finished it up by the time my copy of 5 arrives. From what I've been experiencing it's a really good story that I'll probably stick with alongside my playtime with 5. I say go for it man.

#49 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

You keep capatalizing one random word all the way in all of your thread titles.

Are you trying to send us a hidden message?

Brb, research time incoming.

#50 Edited by TheHT (11680 posts) -

I just beat it, and wow. Enjoyed it way more than GTA4, though it oddly makes me want to go back and play through it all (I only finished the McCreay missions and met the next folks, but then lost interest apparently right before the end).

I tried to play Lost and the Damned before this, but holy shit the characters are annoying. Hearing that the villain is good, maybe I'll keep at it a bit and see if it does anything for me. Ballad of Gay Tony however, was thoroughly entertaining.

Even got me to come around on the driving. Except for helicopters. Whooooooooo boy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.