Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

So I picked a Female GTA Online Character

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@darji said:

@hashy said:

@darji said:

@hashy said:

@darji said:

@hashy said:

I fucking clearly stated I wasn't. It wasn't even a long post. I'm making a point about the moral agency of fiction writers and how the nature of their characters and worlds does not excuse them from the situations they choose to portray.

But there is nothing wrong with it. Lamar gets rejected like tons of men each day. She is no sex object, she is not the one who comes out as an idiot like Lamar but instead as a strong and Independent women who takes no shit at all and who is not interested in a "romance" or a flirt with him.

Sorry, is this coming from the same poster that said my ridiculously offensive hypothetical was fine because characterization?

I just don't like censorship or to be bound by ethics and morals in fiction. Without breaking these social morals we would have never gotten all the classic books or movies.

Name literally a single classic book or film that overstepped the ethics and morals of its time AND ours.

Faust. Note I am German so I don't know american classics. As for a film American Beauty or Natural Born Killers if you go by american movies.

I'm not particularly familiar with Faust and I'm quickly realizing we're veering off into a different discussion entirely, but are you talking about its wider religious themes or there something cultural I might be missing?

Nobody is crying for censorship here. Rockstar, Tarantino, et al are free to write what they wish, but have to face the repercussions of their work.

You guys want all the validation that comes with games being regarded as art, but none of the critique or discussion.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@hashy said:

@darji said:

@hashy said:

@darji said:

@hashy said:

@darji said:

@hashy said:

I fucking clearly stated I wasn't. It wasn't even a long post. I'm making a point about the moral agency of fiction writers and how the nature of their characters and worlds does not excuse them from the situations they choose to portray.

But there is nothing wrong with it. Lamar gets rejected like tons of men each day. She is no sex object, she is not the one who comes out as an idiot like Lamar but instead as a strong and Independent women who takes no shit at all and who is not interested in a "romance" or a flirt with him.

Sorry, is this coming from the same poster that said my ridiculously offensive hypothetical was fine because characterization?

I just don't like censorship or to be bound by ethics and morals in fiction. Without breaking these social morals we would have never gotten all the classic books or movies.

Name literally a single classic book or film that overstepped the ethics and morals of its time AND ours.

Faust. Note I am German so I don't know american classics. As for a film American Beauty or Natural Born Killers if you go by american movies.

I'm not particularly familiar with Faust and I'm quickly realizing we're veering off into a different discussion entirely, but are you talking about its wider religious themes or there something cultural I might be missing?

Nobody is crying for censorship here. Rockstar, Tarantino, et al are free to write what they wish, but have to face the repercussions of their work.

You guys want all the validation that comes with games being regarded as art, but none of the critique or discussion.

But in disagreeing with you, aren't they taking part in the discussion?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@hashy said:

Nice concession.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Hashy

@killerfridge said:

But in disagreeing with you, aren't they taking part in the discussion?

Yeah and you'll often find the kind of vitriol around feminist discussion of media (particularly games) in other forms of critique, such as:

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#205  Edited By leebmx

@leebmx said:

@grantheaslip said:

@leebmx said:

Who knows maybe you and everyone else dinging me in this thread are right and this scene is just about showing that Lamar is a dick. I can probably get behind that. I just wonder why they felt that was so important to get across in your welcome to the game and why they don't force the same point if you pick a male character.

Frankly, I doubt anyone at Rockstar thought about this as much as you have. I don't think they "felt [Lamar making a pass at you] was so important to get across" -- someone just said "that would be pretty funny and consistent with Lamar's character" and they added it. You seem to be trying to attribute way too much meaning to something that was probably offhandedly conceived as a quick goof for people who already knew Lamar's character.

Maybe, maybe. Its hard to know. However I think Rockstar think pretty carefully about everything they do. I don't see that there is much throwaway stuff in their meticulously crafted games.But you may well be right. I just would have preferred them to take a different tack, but as I think I mentioned before, this is probably expecting a little too much from a GTA game.

What's the alternative? That they deliberately wanted to establish that your female character was a sex object by having a sleazy character who's established as a shithead make an in-character pass at you? I'm sure they don't consider much to be "throwaway" either, but I don't think they're all that concerned with the potential gender politics implications of every word they write. Not every line in the game is broadly representative of the writers' mindsets.

I feel like I've heard countless similarly-"offensive" things in TV shows, movies, comedy shows, comedy podcasts, etc. Sometimes a joke (whether or not you find it funny) is just a joke.

It's fair to think they could/should have done something different, but that's a different argument entirely.

I don't think they give a shit about gender politics either, unless they are mocking people like to talk about them.

I suppose the alternative is that they put in a joke without thinking too much about how it would come over. And that meant that the very first time you got to play as a female character in GTA (unless you could be one in 4, and was there one in 2? - but anyway :) ) some shithead makes a pass at you in the opening few lines. To me that seems to say a whole lot about the mindset of GTA, but maybe that was the point - it which case they did do it on purpose. Ah Ha!

I'm not saying I am right here, and I may be overthinking things, but I suppose I am asking, when is it OK for me to join the dots? When can I link the groping stripper minigame, the awful screechy,repressed, unattractive female characters, the prostitute murdering and this incident and posit that they say something about the perspective GTA is written from? Or should they all be viewed as independent from each other, irrelevant to the whole?

I am continually torn between thinking this is GTA, eeeveryone gets it in the neck, and then feeling that women get an especially rough ride. Or thinking this is GTA, it is just a big crude mess of everything they can fit in with no plan or point of view, to my knowledge that these are some of the smartest, most talented, creative minds in the business and this thing is planned down to the last pixel in a strippers g-string.

To me there is this constant feeling that this game doesn't take women seriously, that it doesn't want to devote the time and depth it is prepared to give to the male characters, where even Trevor, an out and out psycho, is given nuance and attractive features. I've rowed back on calling it sexist, that word stirs up so much angst that I would rather just say what I see rather than give it a name. This 'joke' or whatever it is just seems indicative of the rest of their attitude, so much so that I find it hard to view in isolation. If the rest of the game was somewhat different I would be more than prepared to, but I suppose I can't help but join the dots.

Anyway I want to do one more mission before I crash out ( I want to finish it because I have heard that some of the women become a bit more rounded towards the end so I will be interested to see if my viewpoint changes - oh, and it is fucking great), so I won't be able to reply to you again this evening, but I would be interested to hear what you have to say.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#206  Edited By TheMasterDS

I was listening to the first Breaking Bad Insider Podcast today and listened as Vince Gilligan explained how every scene needs to have a point and if it doesn't it needs to be cut because a pointless scene is a waste of time. It seems to me that, if we assume Lamar trying to go grabbing on your lady was nothing but a joke then that whole scene is pointless and could be summed up "A comedy character gives you a gun and forces you into a race mission." If you want to say the scene is meaningless and didn't have anything to say then the scene was meaningless and didn't have anything to say. The online could've safely started with you pulling up to the race without the scene at the airport. Hell, then you wouldn't need the "guy (who is he?) brings you a car" scene that happens during the loading screen as well. Conversely if it does have a point it isn't really a very good one is it? Women have to deal with some bullshit whereas men just get respect right out the gate. I guess it's realistically true but that doesn't make it better.

It was a moment that made me go "Oh man, Uncle GTA's at it again! Just when I thought I was pulling one over on him too!" It's either that, poor writing or, most likely, a combination of both. I doubt Uncle GTA is really all that self aware. Also, speaking of Uncle GTA, after watching the livestream and reading a recent tweet from Jeff Gerstmann the Online just sounds straight up bad. I don't want to play a GTA I have to take seriously in which I can't steal cars and I lose everything and then some when I die. That doesn't sound pleasant at all. Seems like the whole Online aspect is poorly made, not just the intro.

It all works out because I just bought Wind Waker HD anyway. Plus it's much easier to talk about Wind Waker without eliciting controversy. No one ever responded to the critique "the bloom is way more aggressive than it was in the Gamecube version, wow" with "You don't understand the sky's character. He has the fucking sun in him, of course he's bright" or "damn HDR types, why do they have to make a big deal out of nothing? The sky is bright. Put on sunglasses then." Plus Wind Waker is fun.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By KittyVonDoom

You know, in between the passive homophobia, shockingly-casual transphobia, misogyny, and general repression of anything other than what a 13 y/o might relate to in a Call of Duty game... Rockstar make some pretty mature games u guyz.

Not everything present in GTA 5 or modern culture is made a victim of, this is called a design choice. They very blatantly made another-one-of-those tailored for their demographic of insecure kids.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, in between the passive homophobia, shockingly-casual transphobia, misogyny, and general repression of anything other than what a 13 y/o might relate to in a Call of Duty game... Rockstar make some pretty mature games u guyz.

Not everything present in GTA 5 or modern culture is made a victim of, this is called a design choice. They very blatantly made another-one-of-those tailored for their demographic of insecure kids.

You do realize that one of the characters was designed to represent the same shitty stereotypes you're claiming they're catering to, right?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd: You say that like it makes all the other hateful "satire" go away.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd: You say that like it makes all the other hateful "satire" go away.

No, I'm saying they're not catering to anyone. They're making digs at everyone. Like, seriously. That is the GTA M.O. at this point. Have you ever even played any of the previous games?

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

feminazis oppressing and censoring rockstars genius satire, including; an asian-speaking man's subtitles reading like stereotypical broken english

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

have you even PLAYED the games, outsider?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Baillie

Guys, I wonder how everyone will react to South Park: The Stick of Truth? I'm guessing it'll be absolutely fucking HATED due to the way the gaming community is heading 'morally'.

Nah just kidding, everyone thinks it looks fucking awesome.

Hypocrites, everywhere.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@themasterds you do realize that Grand Theft Auto is the CSI of video games, not The Wire or Breaking Bad, right? These have never been games with salient points or subtle critiques. These are games with big guns, big bombs, big breasts and big bales of cash. They aren't meant to come wrapped in neat, contextual endings. They're meant to start and end vaguely, to give the idea of a world that exists even when you aren't there. It's been written about this series often since the release of GTA IV but the city is the main character of GTA games, not the people themselves. None of the "people" are meant to be people, merely archetypes and stereotypes cranked out by a city founded on corruption and capitalism.

Wastes of screen time are often when GTA is working at its most magical; San Andreas' CJ had no reason to invade Area 51 and steal that jetpack in the grand scheme of things, Tommy Vercetti really had no business delivering $10 pizzas in Vice City and Claude was a fool to think he could ever fly that no-winged Dodo without any proper flight training.

I'd be interested to hear your take on an hour of Opie & Anthony where they have both Jim Norton and Patrice O'Neal on. Or any of the various internet skits and Boondocks material Slinky Johnson (the actor behind Lamar) has been involved in over the years. Have you seen Black Jesus? What's your reaction to that? This is off-topic, it's just a part of me wonders if you're missing the forest for the trees on this. I get that you feel bad for women (many of whom seem to report not being put off by the scene) being subjected to this scene while the male character isn't objectified (even though he is, as Lamar is just as quick to comment on the male's physical attributes as the female's in a negative/joking fashion) in his, but I feel like you're taking this argument to an illogical extreme of "please don't make jokes in video games, not when someone could get upset".

Have you ever dealt with someone like Lamar in your life? Are you asking that video games please leave those folks out of the medium so as to understand video games are not to played by gangbanging, face-tatted, strip club addicted misogynists?

I feel like I'd understand how this event makes some people so upset a lot better if it occurred in the first five minutes of Animal Crossing or Mario Galaxy. But Grand Theft Auto, the digital equivalent of a Tarentino movie? It's going to be seedy, it's going to be dirty, it's going to be sensational. And I'm sure MOST female gamers are fine with this; I know most of the girls I know with GTA5 experience absolutely love Lamar and wish there was more of him.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By TheMasterDS

@greggd: I haven't actually. GTAV is the first game in the series I've played any serious amount of. Does that make my opinion less valid that I haven't been a lifelong fan of the series?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd: I haven't actually. Does that make my opinion less valid that I haven't been a lifelong fan of the series?

It would give you a better context, for sure. And yeah, if you're coming into GTA expecting it not to do what it does, you're terribly misinformed. Or ignorant, if not willfully.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie said:

Guys, I wonder how everyone will react to South Park: The Stick of Truth? I'm guessing it'll be absolutely fucking HATED due to the way the gaming community is heading 'morally'.

Hypocrites, everywhere.

Jesus Christ, the game isn't even out yet so nobody knows enough about it to criticize it, and you're only assuming people expressing concern over other games hypocritically like this game.

South Park has some seriously problematic stuff (Mr Garrison's Fancy New Vagina and a lot of the older stuff spring to mind) but on the whole it's leaps and bounds more thoughtful and intelligent than any of Rockstar shotgun "satire".

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hashy said:

@baillie said:

Hypocrites, everywhere.

Jesus Christ, the game isn't even out yet so nobody knows enough about it to criticize it, and you're only assuming people expressing concern over other games hypocritically like this game.

South Park has some seriously problematic stuff (Mr Garrison's Fancy New Vagina and a lot of the older stuff spring to mind) but on the whole it's leaps and bounds more thoughtful and intelligent than any of Rockstar shotgun "satire".

I don't think you quite understood what I meant.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I need a new hobby. Like books or painting or something.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By TheMasterDS

@nodima said:

Grand Theft Auto, the digital equivalent of a Tarentino movie?

You are either giving GTA too much credit or Tarantino too little credit. The difference is Tarantino is an artist whereas the guys who make GTA are not artists. Not when it comes to their comic relief anyway. I would liken GTA more to Transformers only coherent and the main characters manage to be likable. So a lot better than Transfomers on the whole but if you're going to go comparing it to Jackie Brown I gotta tell you naw son.

Oh, also, as for South Park (and, let's bring Always Sunny in) I love em! You know why? Because they're actually funny and they hit more than they miss! In Always Sunny a girl gets Waterboarded in a Urinal. It's an absurd situation in Always Sunny matched with sharp writing. In GTA it's not a joke, it's just something that happens. And then the "Torture is actually really dumb" point is hammered into your face by Trevor explaining it straight up. In Sunny they made the same point but they didn't just say it. They showed it and made it a running joke that any information Frank said he got through waterboarding was completely wrong. In GTA they just said it. They told instead of showed. Additionally they contradicted the moral by confirming on the radio the guy you killed what the Armenian the torture victim was referring to. So the torture worked in GTA. Nice "satire" guys.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By GreggD

@hashy said:

@baillie: I don't think you quite understand what I meant, mate. Owned. Fucking owned. Quality discourse.

Are you 13, or something?

@nodima said:

You are either giving GTA too much credit or Tarantino too little credit. The difference is Tarantino is an artist whereas the guys who make GTA are not artists. Not when it comes to their comic relief anyway. I would liken GTA more to Transformers only coherent and the main characters manage to be likable. So a lot better than Transfomers on the whole but if you're going to go comparing it to Jackie Brown I gotta tell you naw son.

Oh, also, as for South Park (and, let's bring Always Sunny in) I love em! You know why? Because they're actually funny and they hit more than they miss! In Always Sunny a girl gets Waterboarded in a Urinal. It's an absurd situation in Always Sunny matched with sharp writing. In GTA it's not a joke, it's just something that happens. And then the "Torture is actually really dumb" point is hammered into your face by Trevor explaining it straight up. In Sunny they made the same point but they didn't just say it. They showed it and made it a running joke that any information Frank said he got through waterboarding was completely wrong. In GTA they just said it. They told instead of showed. Additionally they contradicted the moral by confirming on the radio the guy you killed what the Armenian the torture victim was referring to. So the torture worked in GTA. Nice "satire" guys.

You missed a key part of all that. The torture victim kept saying that he knew everything, and they just had to ask him. The torture was unnecessary, but the FIB overseer was a total asshole and was pretty much making sure that the guy got tortured, regardless of what he gave them.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#223  Edited By Milkman

@nodima said:

I like this post.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#225  Edited By ArtisanBreads

If your argument is now coming down to "I don't think GTA is funny!".... well..... great? A lot of people do. I think Rockstar's dialogue is absolutely brilliant, witty, and funny. Cool. Go play or watch something else that does the same "offensive" things but is okay I guess because you find it funny.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hashy: I just want to know something. Why do you still say owned?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@nodima said:

Additionally they contradicted the moral by confirming on the radio the guy you killed what the Armenian the torture victim was referring to. So the torture worked in GTA. Nice "satire" guys.

Ironically, I had typed Bay before going back and typing Tarentino. You not considering the men and women (note that a woman managed the cutscene production according to the credits) behind Grand Theft Auto artists does reveal a little about why you feel the way you do about this, though.

I agree with you that those shows are funny but I disagree that you finding those shows funny means you're allowed to call GTA unfunny because it didn't make you laugh. Some people can laugh at Always Sunny and at Two and a Half Men. Some people can't laugh at Always Sunny and can laugh at Two and a Half Men. That's why both programs exist. I also think you're missing the point of the scene if you expected "satire", more than anything it was just supposed to make you hate Steve Haines and the government. Again, you can disagree with Grand Theft Auto for being sensational but you can't disagree with GTA because it's sensational and you didn't expect that.

It's like complaining about Avatar because it's in 3D to me. The sensational stuff is the reason the whole game exists, so labeling that the problem is labeling the entire premise of the game a problem. And then you're having a different conversation that has very little to do with what Lamar says to Female Avatar X during the opening minutes of Grand Theft Auto Online.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your argument is now coming down to "I don't think GTA is funny!".... well..... great? A lot of people do. I think Rockstar's dialogue is absolutely brilliant, witty, and funny. Cool. Go play or watch something else that does the same "offensive" things but is okay I guess because you find it funny.

I believe it's called having a discussion. Saying "go play something you like" is not a valid response. I like GTA V. It's a ton of fun and they've built probably the most amazing world I've ever seen in a game. But I also think that the writing is, for the most part, really dated and unfunny. There are some genuinely funny moments, for sure but their attempts at satire mostly fall flat.

I can like some parts of a game and dislike other parts. There can be a middle ground between "GTA V is the most brilliant game ever made" and "GTA V is shit."

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@milkman said:

@artisanbreads said:

I believe it's called having a discussion. Saying "go play something you like" is not a valid response. I like GTA V. It's a ton of fun and they've built probably the most amazing world I've ever seen in a game. But I also think that the writing is, for the most part, really dated and unfunny. There are some genuinely funny moments, for sure but their attempts at satire mostly fall flat.

I can like some parts of a game and dislike other parts. There can be a middle ground between "GTA V is the most brilliant game ever made" and "GTA V is shit."

I'm talking about this thread's topic, which is now completely off the rails talking about the writing quality. I like the writing and just don't really care if some don't, that's fine. Did this song and dance with Max Payne 3 already.

The thread is about being offended by the female opening to GTA O. There are plenty of similar things in South Park or Always Sunny but I guess those are okay because OP finds them funny.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hashy said:

@baillie: I don't think you quite understand what I meant, mate. Owned. Fucking owned. Quality discourse.

You're easily a top candidate of how the quality of the community has taken a dive.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie said:

@hashy said:

You're easily a top candidate of how the quality of the community has taken a dive.

But come on, man. He owned you! Doesn't that mean anything anymore?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Well, this thread sucks as clearly evident by the discussion surrounding this post and I don't really care at all about the female intro to GTA Online. I was just commenting on what you were saying. And the point isn't entirely that Always Sunny is funny and GTA isn't, though that is part of it. It's that the satire is delivered in a more concise way, which in turns makes it funnier.

I actually think the torture scene is the best "satire" in the entire game. It's a shame that the scene that follows so obviously and uninterestingly (not a word, don't care) hammers home its point.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Hashy

@GrantHeaslip If you haven't seen a lot of GTA5 you don't know the half of its problems with representation of women. You're right that there's a streak of what you call "performance activism" in online discussion, certainly in anyone with the patience to participate in forums like these, but you can't fault people for discussing issues in the games on everyone's minds. The profound disingenuousness you presented those examples with does little to make me empathize with your view and is either ignorant or intentionally dismissive of the depth of insight in some of the long-form discussion we've seen recently.

@greggd said:

@hashy: I just want to know something. Why do you still say owned?

Sometimes pwned is too strong a word.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By TheMasterDS

@artisanbreads: Not just funny, but well written and masterfully crafted as well. Look at the comparison of styles between Always Sunny and GTA again more closely this time. One hammers you over the head with the point really heavy handedly and other gets the same point across by creating an absurd scenario and tight writing which explores the touchy subject matter expertly. It's not just about humor, it's about craft and effort.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@milkman said:

@artisanbreads: Well, this thread sucks as clearly evident by the discussion surrounding this post and I don't really care at all about the female intro to GTA Online. I was just commenting on what you were saying. And the point isn't entirely that Always Sunny is funny and GTA isn't, though that is part of it. It's that the satire is delivered in a more concise way, which in turns makes it funnier.

I actually think the torture scene is the best "satire" in the entire game. It's a shame that the scene that follows so obviously and uninterestingly (not a word, don't care) hammers home its point.

I agree on the torture scene for what it's worth. I can almost guarantee the end was added in as an attempt to hammer home some some anti-torture message to dodge some controversy.

I saw your post in the other thread and found it an interesting way to think about the game.... I did enjoy the end but had a similar feeling of and what changed here? I kind of wish there was more of an inevitable Michael Trevor collision course but oh well. I was thinking Trevor was going to go to break Brad out of jail and then find it empty and it was going to be an undodgable Trevor vs Michael fight, which would've sucked because I like both but it would've had a good impact.

Rockstar games usually have some plot stumblings I find but dialogue wise they are the absolute best to me and always nail a bunch of other moments throughout. Just my 2 cents.

Didn't mean to sounds dismissive of a dialogue it's just how the debate turned with the OP was rather ridiculous.

@artisanbreads: Not just funny, but well written and masterfully crafted as well. Look at the comparison of styles between Always Sunny and GTA again more closely this time. One hammers you over the head with the point really heavy handedly and other gets the same point across by creating an absurd scenario and tight writing which explores the touchy subject matter expertly. It's not just about humor, it's about craft and effort.

Read above.

Also, my point is you only find things offensive if you don't like the writing I guess, which is hilarious and silly. Have fun being offended I guess.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Hashy

Sometimes people use words ironically.

@baillie said:

@hashy said:

Boy, I'm glad you're here to balance me out--like how you replied to me with an effective "uh thats not what i said dumbass" instead of explaining or extrapolating on your argument

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree on the torture scene for what it's worth. I can almost guarantee the end was added in as an attempt to hammer home some some anti-torture message to dodge some controversy.

Haha, no. That dialogue was included so they could feel that they're ahead of any possible critique and could intellectually hide behind its pretenses. It's pretty transparent. The GTA team don't want to avoid controversy. They live for the controversy.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since when did female characters getting hit on amount to sexism? I think people are taking this sexism stuff a little too far.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Hashy

@grantheaslip said:

@hashy said:

@GrantHeaslip If you haven't seen a lot of GTA5 you don't know the half of its problems with representation of women. You're right that there's a streak of what you call "performance activism" in online discussion, certainly in anyone with the patience to participate in forums like these, but you can't fault people for discussing issues in the games on everyone's minds. The profound disingenuousness you presented those examples with does little to make me empathize with your view and is either ignorant or intentionally dismissive of the depth of insight in some of the long-form discussion we've seen recently.

I've quite literally seen each thing I referenced said by people in positions of influence. I was very careful of that, but you're right, not everyone's going to that extreme.

My broader point is that the extreme hyperbole, and more-often-than-not questionable and incredibly-selective targets are doing the movement no favours. I'm someone who would be naturally inclined to be on the side of calling for more mature gaming writing, but not if it means getting behind people who start nearly every "conversation" by taking extreme, insulting positions toward the targets of their criticism. I want less "deeply misogynistic" and more "I think this game has some issues and I'm going to explain why in terms that don't pre-suppose you're monster". I'm seeing less and less evidence I should hold my breath for that.

To focus on a specific point because I'm stuck typing on a tablet then, who of note has said Spelunky was sexist for including damsels? Anita Sarkeesian's argument was and always has been on the problematic nature of common storytelling devices (I'm starting to resent the word trope), and encouraging the industry to recognize and avoid them. Nobody could accuse the game that included the incredible diversity in Spelunky HD of being wholly sexist, only of initially (and in canon/marketing) relying on problematic and sexist "tropes".

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#242  Edited By Zornack

@rollingzeppelin said:

Since when did female characters getting hit on amount to sexism? I think people are taking this sexism stuff a little too far.

I don't get it either. Lamar acting like a pig means women aren't portrayed poorly? What?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Jackie Brown? The movie with a female character that has almost no personality aside from being a pothead, fucks a complete stranger who's her sort-of boyfriend's friend because she's bored, is generally insulted by every man she knows, and is randomly shot dead in the end?

Now, I think Jackie Brown is a masterpiece, but if you're saying Jackie Brown is "Art", but a character In GTAO propositioning a lady for sex and getting turned down is bothersome, I just can't take this argument seriously anymore.

As I sad before in this thread, you're absolutely entitled to any reaction you had. But trying to apply one's emotional reaction to something as criticism is simply invalid. You don't like it, cool. But that has zero to do with the quality of the thing itself.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad that the video game community is now so militant about perceived sexism that when something really egregious comes along in the future and needs to be addressed, people will most likely not pay attention to it because they are so fucking tired of hearing about it.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know. It's really disappointing that the most active thread for the biggest game currently is about a really mild, innocent joke introduction scene and blowing that way out of proportion.

Fuck actually talking about the game. Lets ramble on about pointless bullshit in a really mild scene. Hell i don't think GTA5 is sexist, but if you wanted to make that argument there are like at least a dozen better things you could use as your example. Theres a god damn minigame where you feel up strippers during a lap dance. You brutally torture a guy with various torture mini-games. Theres complex multiple path heist missions that can have multiple outcomes. Yet the most active thread here is discussing the ethics of a dude making a pass at a chick and being shut down and politely accepting the rejection. SEXISM GUYS!

The fuck is wrong with you people?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

You know. It's really disappointing that the most active thread for the biggest game currently is about a really mild, innocent joke introduction scene and blowing that way out of proportion.

Fuck actually talking about the game. Lets ramble on about pointless bullshit in a really mild scene. Hell i don't think GTA5 is sexist, but if you wanted to make that argument there are like at least a dozen better things you could use as your example. Theres a god damn minigame where you feel up strippers during a lap dance. You brutally torture a guy with various torture mini-games. Theres complex multiple path heist missions that can have multiple outcomes. Yet the most active thread here is discussing the ethics of a dude making a pass at a chick and being shut down and politely accepting the rejection. SEXISM GUYS!

The fuck is wrong with you people?

People would probably have more to say about the online portion of GTAV if it was actually playable by more than a tiny fraction of the player-base. At this point, people are lucky if they even get to the point that Lamar hits on them.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes this complex and diverse social movement is surely going to fall victim to "Boy Who Cried Wolf" syndrome and now something truly horrible will slip through the cracks. Why are feminists so emotional?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Well yeah, thats the only reason i ducked back into this thread, i came to the GTAV forum to check if people were reporting if online was up or not. I was shocked this thread had this many replies.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Hashy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.