The Grand Theft Auto V Trailer: What Did You Think?

Posted by Alex (1975 posts) -

Well, there you have it, folks. GTA V exists. It's a real thing, and it's set in Los Angeles. Er, Los Santos. Whatevs.What do we know following this trailer? Well, for one thing, we know our as-yet-unnamed protagonist is a "family man," of sorts. His expository narration tells us a good bit--namely, that he's certainly of the criminal ilk we're accustomed to in this series, and that despite his best efforts to settle down in Los Santos and live a normal life, that probably isn't going to happen.

Much speculation was put forth early on about the monetary qualities of the game's logo, what with the whole green "V" and dollar-oriented font on the "five." That obviously led to quite a bit of discussion regarding whether or not Rockstar would be tackling some of the more salient topics of our time, namely the financial crisis and Occupy Wall Street movement. While nothing so overt was shown in the trailer, we get plenty of glimpses of impoverished, homeless folk meandering about the street. Not to mention the crop-duster gassing of migrant workers...

Some are undoubtedly rolling their eyes at yet another game set in an already explored locale, though it's tough to hate too much, considering Los Santos (as well as the other areas of GTA: San Andreas) was such a blast to explore. Rockstar has clearly beefed up the Rage engine here, as the visuals are quite striking. How about those mountains, eh?

The setting does, of course, beg the question as to whether we'll be expanding beyond the scope of Los Santos, perhaps into San Fierro and Las Venturas, like in the original San Andreas-set title. Hell, there are dozens of things left hanging at this point, though I will say I was surprised how much Rockstar actually showed in this first trailer. It's a good glimpse at the world, the protagonist (at least, the one we know about), and the style the game will be affecting. Personally, I can't wait for more.

Gonna keep this post available for the other editors to share their thoughts, should they feel the need to do so. Otherwise, comment away, and let us know what you think of Rockstar's direction for GTA V.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1975 posts) -

Well, there you have it, folks. GTA V exists. It's a real thing, and it's set in Los Angeles. Er, Los Santos. Whatevs.What do we know following this trailer? Well, for one thing, we know our as-yet-unnamed protagonist is a "family man," of sorts. His expository narration tells us a good bit--namely, that he's certainly of the criminal ilk we're accustomed to in this series, and that despite his best efforts to settle down in Los Santos and live a normal life, that probably isn't going to happen.

Much speculation was put forth early on about the monetary qualities of the game's logo, what with the whole green "V" and dollar-oriented font on the "five." That obviously led to quite a bit of discussion regarding whether or not Rockstar would be tackling some of the more salient topics of our time, namely the financial crisis and Occupy Wall Street movement. While nothing so overt was shown in the trailer, we get plenty of glimpses of impoverished, homeless folk meandering about the street. Not to mention the crop-duster gassing of migrant workers...

Some are undoubtedly rolling their eyes at yet another game set in an already explored locale, though it's tough to hate too much, considering Los Santos (as well as the other areas of GTA: San Andreas) was such a blast to explore. Rockstar has clearly beefed up the Rage engine here, as the visuals are quite striking. How about those mountains, eh?

The setting does, of course, beg the question as to whether we'll be expanding beyond the scope of Los Santos, perhaps into San Fierro and Las Venturas, like in the original San Andreas-set title. Hell, there are dozens of things left hanging at this point, though I will say I was surprised how much Rockstar actually showed in this first trailer. It's a good glimpse at the world, the protagonist (at least, the one we know about), and the style the game will be affecting. Personally, I can't wait for more.

Gonna keep this post available for the other editors to share their thoughts, should they feel the need to do so. Otherwise, comment away, and let us know what you think of Rockstar's direction for GTA V.

Staff
#2 Posted by PinkSoda (88 posts) -

VROOM!

#3 Posted by MachoFantastico (4506 posts) -

Why not, it would be rude not to.

Please be something fresh and exciting, sort of bored of the American dream storyline.

#4 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I'm not here to make friends.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

come now, we can be friends!

#6 Posted by BonOrbitz (2174 posts) -

I wonder if there's any truth to the rumor that it'll be downloadable only?

#7 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

I'm here to find my soulmate

#8 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -

Prediction: not a ton of info is revealed and a big 2013 at the end. When it comes out I'm totally rolling a Lady Shep.

#9 Posted by Hace77 (10 posts) -

so... the internet is going to die in 25 minutes, interesting :)

#10 Posted by wafflestomp (247 posts) -

word.

#11 Posted by penINC (136 posts) -

@bonorbitz: That seems insane.

#12 Posted by Loose (419 posts) -

Holy shiiiiiiii---

#13 Posted by mosespippy (4044 posts) -

I already had Lazlow.com up to view it, but here is good too. Maybe when their site crashes under the weight one of them will work.

#14 Edited by MattyFTM (14348 posts) -

@bonorbitz: It won't be downloadable only. That was just a ridiculous analyst being ridiculous to get his name on the front of game news sites and get some recognition.

#15 Posted by Bojangle (78 posts) -

My prediction: Game looks stunning, trailer ends, fade to black. "Holiday 2013 Next Generation Consoles"

Internet explodes.

#16 Posted by leejunfan83 (950 posts) -

respect

#17 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

How long after this trailer is posted will it take for politicians and 24 hour news networks to lose their shit?

#18 Posted by cuzintheboss (97 posts) -

Why watch it here when i can watch it somewhere else in HD FOR FREE. Just saying

#19 Posted by Sammo21 (3213 posts) -

Spoiler: There will be cars. You can or cannot steal those cars...it's up to you. Those cars will control poorly...that is not up you.

#20 Posted by Aishan (1011 posts) -

@louiedog said:

How long after this trailer is posted will it take for politicians and 24 hour news networks to lose their shit?

Depends. How long is the trailer?

@bonorbitz said:

I wonder if there's any truth to the rumor that it'll be downloadable only?

Of course it wont.

#21 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Spoilers: It'll be another GTA game. There will be weird driving physics, lock-on targeting and not really much to do outside of following a thread of gangster film references and decade old satire.

#22 Edited by AllanIceman (1322 posts) -

We are friends, but ... you know... I got this other thing I got to do.

#23 Posted by Thuggish (102 posts) -

@louiedog said:

They don't seem to be losing their shit over Saints Row: The Third, which is a much more over the top violent game. If they lose their shit over another GTA they're just trolling for hate-mail.

#24 Edited by MattyFTM (14348 posts) -

OK then. My Prediction: It won't be next gen consoles because if that was the case, the console manufacturers wouldn't let them show a trailer for it until they had announced the platforms.. It's current gen (and probably WiiU), the video will say it'll be released in 2012, but it'll be delayed and won't come out until 2013.

#25 Posted by AndrewB (7500 posts) -

@louiedog said:

I hear Fox News has preemptively condemned to trailer just to be sure.

#26 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@Thuggish said:

@louiedog said:

They don't seem to be losing their shit over Saints Row: The Third, which is a much more over the top violent game. If they lose their shit over another GTA they're just trolling for hate-mail.

GTA is a household name that gets people whipped up into a frenzy. That's how it works.

#27 Posted by penINC (136 posts) -

@sofacitysweetheart said:

Spoilers: It'll be another GTA game. There will be weird driving physics, lock-on targeting and not really much to do outside of following a thread of gangster film references and decade old satire.

This is all true. Yet I will still buy it, play it and love it.

#28 Posted by Pr1mus (3821 posts) -

They'll announce the release date as november 8 2011 in an evil plan to have this and CoD release at the same time and hopefully the masses of peons rushing in to buy them will be enough to have every gamestop collapse to the ground.

#29 Posted by boylie (305 posts) -

This industry is fucking weird. An announcement, news articles, and a countdown on what will surely be a 30 second shot of some locations in the city. I mean I am looking forward to a new GTA, don't get me wrong, but.... Jesus.

#30 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Protip: We will learn nothing about this game from this trailer.

#31 Posted by c_sheridan (12 posts) -

Well, the "Five" is done up like it's from a dollar bill. Which obviously means the game will take place from the perspective of Earnest Kelly running his counterfeiting operation in Vice City, trying to maintain a steady profit margin while avoiding suspicion and giving a huge cut of the profits to Tommy Vercetti whenever Vercetti actually remembers to come back to the shop.

So Sim Counterfeiter.

#32 Posted by Branwulf (397 posts) -

I bet you play as a wizard in GTA V

#33 Posted by TheKing (824 posts) -

*Insert snide comment here.

#34 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2485 posts) -

PC Exclusive using DX12

Also, takes place in the Land of Make Believe, you're Lady Elaine, and you finally found a gun, so King Tuesday better step the fuck off.

#35 Posted by Trilleong (80 posts) -

Party time in the Giant Bomb comments? Let's do this!

#36 Posted by DoctorLazy (93 posts) -

I hope it's set in the old west.

#37 Posted by geirr (2477 posts) -

So is it like an open world game or what? Man the excitement is unbearable.

#38 Posted by banunn1 (71 posts) -

We need a GTA trailer bingo card. I am reserving the walking away while all kinds of shit explodes in the background./explosion/92-309/

#39 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2485 posts) -

@DoctorLazy said:

I hope it's set in the old west.

They did that.

#40 Posted by Yossarian (55 posts) -

Well, isn't this exciting.

#41 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -
@Napalm said:

Protip: We will learn nothing about this game from this trailer.

Yeah. Probably shouldn't get my hopes too high.
#42 Posted by Tebbit (4449 posts) -

Ohhhh myyyyyyy gooooooooooood.

I'm a little excited.

But in reality, this is gonna be 15 seconds of slow-panning around a cityscape, then the logo. I'M PUTTING CASH ON THAT BET, ANY TAKERS!? (no actual cash put down).

#43 Posted by JimmyPancakes (116 posts) -

Wheres my chat room!

#44 Edited by c_sheridan (12 posts) -

No way we learn anything other than where the game takes place and MAYBE who the main character is. No mechanics.

#45 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

11 long minutes to go!

#46 Posted by Tober (164 posts) -

This better be f'in good.

#47 Posted by StriderNo9 (1082 posts) -

I'm here!

#48 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

FUCK YEAH I'LL WATCH IT HERE WITH YOU GUYS

#49 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

Thank God I have 10 minutes to round up all of the tissues in my apartment.

#50 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Got home just in time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.