Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

The Grand Theft Auto V Trailer: What Did You Think?

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#701  Edited By Johnny5

Eh the trailer didn't make me excited, but it'll probably be gooooooood.

Also is that Frank West?

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#702  Edited By GozerTC

@Plastic said:

Yup, another GTA game.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my feelings. Haven't cared about a GTA game since 2.

chazzi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#703  Edited By chazzi27

As a Los Angeles resident...I can't wait to get my hands on this next installment. San Andreas remains my favorite game in the series...so having a more detailed Los Santos is freaking amazing. CJ should totally make a cameo in a mission or side mission.

MrMojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#704  Edited By MrMojo

@GozerTC said:

@Plastic said:

Yup, another GTA game.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my feelings. Haven't cared about a GTA game since 2.

Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know i liked gta before they sold out and went mainstream

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#705  Edited By ikilledthedj

You people complaining oh yep another gta game are the same people who buy cod every year and expect something new then bitch about how it's the same game year after year with a crap 6 hour campaign.. Yeah I'm just trolling but come on seriously the big ip's continue to make money why would they go out on a limb and try something new

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#706  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Nottle: I wanted to be a good person and live a wholesome American life, but woe is me, because I can't.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#707  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

So weird.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#708  Edited By MightyDuck

After watching the trailer, it looks like more GTA. That's fine with me.

fish_pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#709  Edited By fish_pie

I'm kind of disappointed as to no female protagonist

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#710  Edited By Brendan

@MrMojo said:

@GozerTC said:

@Plastic said:

Yup, another GTA game.

Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know i liked gta before they sold out and went mainstream

Whatever, I liked gta before it existed. It sold out when it started selling, dawg.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#711  Edited By MistaSparkle

Never played San Andreas before, so exploring will be very new and exciting! I haven't played LA Noire yet, so I'm really pumped about playing a game set in "LA"

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#712  Edited By Brendan

@Andorski said:

I'm unfairly pessimistic for now. The trailer gave off the vibe that they are still focusing on creating a more serious story-directed experience. It was a noble idea in GTA IV that ultimately failed. Giving the player complete freedom in an open world directly clashes with the intentions of giving the protagonist his own personality and motives that evolve as the story progresses. It just doesn't make sense when the main character is having trepidation over his last violent encounter in a cutscene, followed by a run of prostitute murders before the player decides to start the next mission.

Although obviously your allowed to feel differently, I feel that you saying that GTA IV "failed" is patently false. GTA IV sold gang-busters and got perfect scores and GOTY's all over the place. It is literally the definition of a successful game.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#713  Edited By plaintomato

pessimistic my arse...this is gta with all the trappings IV didn't have. I'm only excited and will be until the day R* lets me down and they haven't yet. Their track record speaks volumes more than a single trailer. And I liked the trailer so I don't get all the whining.

nunsandroses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#714  Edited By nunsandroses

@Brendan: You should read his post again. He said that GTA IV failed as an attempt at a story-driven open-world GTA game, not that it was a critical or sales failure.

VolcanicTrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#715  Edited By VolcanicTrees

Looked pretty boring to me. Obviously the gameplay will be great, it is Rockstar, but it's all just overplayed. Bring something new to the table please.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...That is all.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#717  Edited By TomA

They better talk about Occupy Wall Street, not enough people take it seriously. Its sad that the hippies and kids who like to protest everything got involved. It actually has a really great purpose. By the way it was actually started by a company here in Vancouver: Adbusters.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#718  Edited By Andorski

@Brendan said:

@Andorski said:

I'm unfairly pessimistic for now. The trailer gave off the vibe that they are still focusing on creating a more serious story-directed experience. It was a noble idea in GTA IV that ultimately failed. Giving the player complete freedom in an open world directly clashes with the intentions of giving the protagonist his own personality and motives that evolve as the story progresses. It just doesn't make sense when the main character is having trepidation over his last violent encounter in a cutscene, followed by a run of prostitute murders before the player decides to start the next mission.

Although obviously your allowed to feel differently, I feel that you saying that GTA IV "failed" is patently false. GTA IV sold gang-busters and got perfect scores and GOTY's all over the place. It is literally the definition of a successful game.

I didn't say GTA IV failed, but rather R*'s goal to create a serious narrative centered around a beleaguered life of crime. The discussion about GTA IV is rarely about how Niko's struggle is representative of immigrant life in the United States, nor is it about how powerful crime syndicates' ultimate weakness is mistrust. Rather, people talk about how awesome the bank heist was, or how The Ballad of Gay Tony (with it's more ridiculous approach to GTA IV's game structure) is the way GTA games should be.

So yea, I definitely think GTA IV failed miserably in creating a much darker story. R* wanted to make a Scorsese flick; their audience wanted an A-Team series.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#719  Edited By Brendan

@NunsandRoses said:

@Brendan: You should read his post again. He said that GTA IV failed as an attempt at a story-driven open-world GTA game, not that it was a critical or sales failure.

Fair enough, but seeing as how this games massive critical success was largely based around it's story telling and world building at the time of it's release it's hard to just claim it's a failure at what, largely, made it so critically successful. And frankly I have more respect for (most) reviewers over forum users, who always claim that reviewers are just ga-ga and blind over these games when their own posts are often dripping with bias and bone dry in terms of well developed, thought out criticism (not saying that the earlier poster did this).

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#720  Edited By Brendan

@Andorski said:

@Brendan said:

@Andorski said:

I didn't say GTA IV failed, but rather R*'s goal to create a serious narrative centered around a beleaguered life of crime. The discussion about GTA IV is rarely about how Niko's struggle is representative of immigrant life in the United States, nor is it about how powerful crime syndicates' ultimate weakness is mistrust. Rather, people talk about how awesome the bank heist was, or how The Ballad of Gay Tony (with it's more ridiculous approach to GTA IV's game structure) is the way GTA games should be.

So yea, I definitely think GTA IV failed miserably in creating a much darker story. R* wanted to make a Scorsese flick; their audience wanted an A-Team series.

And who cares what fans want? I'm sick of selfish fans wanting to bend the industry to their whims instead of letting creative and talented people do their thing. The fans that missed the meat of GTA IV's story are the same people that loved Scarface and missed the point of the movie completely (there's a lot of them out there). I am of the opinion that a lot of the time, consumers don't know what they want, and that the best creative work is done when developers don't listen to fans and try something that they believe in, surprising fans with something better than they (the fans) could have expected. To me, this was GTA IV. The guys largely came through on their vision for the game and it sold really well. The same thing will happen with V, even as Scarface lovin dudes continue to miss the point.

Potts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#721  Edited By Potts

@BionicRadd said:

@Potts said:

Nope, that trailer did very little to interest me in GTA V. Probably still going to buy it anyway, and suffer through it like I did the last 2 shit games. Hell, even Vice City got boring about 40 hours in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of what Rockstar does with GTA, having the open world and all the cars and story, but I think I'm at a point where it's really hard to feel sympathy for a character like CJ or Niko. All you know is crime, I get it. But if they actually gave a shit and TRIED to get themselves straightened out, like Rockstar wants us to think they are trying to do, I might care a little more.

Niko wanted to be a criminal from the second he set foot in America. He never gave any pretense to the contrary. CJ's story was terribly muddled, though, and is the main reason I lost interest in SA about halfway through San Fierro. He was totally against drug dealers but smuggling, prostitution and murder were all super OK with him.

On a different note, does anyone think this may actually be out in 2012? the waiting and speculation, in my opinion, sort of hurt GTA IV more than it helped. I am hoping they will actually turn this around in a pretty short time period.

Good point. Though it really goes to show you how big of a shit I didn't give about the story in GTA4.

And I totally agree with you about how all the speculation about GTA4 hurt it more than helped it. The game that came out could never have lived up to what people wanted out of it - just based off the first trailer.

durog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#722  Edited By durog

Wow I wasn't expecting them to show that much content (was expecting a spinning logo and voice over). They must be farther along than I expected, maybe a 2012 release, I hope I hope I hope...

wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#723  Edited By wicked_wumpus

GRAMMER POLICE! Alex's use of the phrase "begs the question" is incorrect. It doesn't mean "to raise" a question but is to be used when you are requesting support for a statement someone just made. If someone said that playing GTAV will make you taller then you could say that begs the question, what does playing GTA have to do with your height?

I know it seems like an intelligent phrase to use but in this case it's wrong.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#724  Edited By Andorski

@Brendan: It's not about fans wanting the wackiness of past GTA games. I only bring it up as a barometer of how the tone of GTA IV's story was received.

I personally really like that R* tried to venture out and create a more dramatic story. As I said, it was a noble idea for them to aim towards. The problem is that their execution was faulty. You just can't have complete freedom like in past GTA games when trying to direct a narrative dealing the protagonist's growth as he tries to escape his past, deal with the problems of the present, and accepting the consequences of his future. It's just a jarring experience to watch a cutscene about how Niko's past life as a soldier has him woefully remorseful, but then the player drives over a couple of dozen people trying to get the next mission. The city R* created in their GTA games, with its unique brand of humor toward American culture and apathy towards human life, going batshit crazy with a rocket launcher and a couple of assault rifles on a street filled with pedestrians is almost encouraged.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#725  Edited By SpudBug

looks awesome. But that is not how it will look on consoles. Wish they would have just pushed it to the next generation of consoles.

UnbreakableVow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#726  Edited By UnbreakableVow

@SpudBug said:

looks awesome. But that is not how it will look on consoles. Wish they would have just pushed it to the next generation of consoles.

Nothing in this trailer looks outside the power of an Xbox 360 or PS3

It looks wonderful though

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#727  Edited By HadesTimes

I liked the trailer, can't wait to hear more about this game.

Max21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#728  Edited By Max21

looks good to me

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
    deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if that is Tommy Vercetti doing the voiceover and appearing in that scene, it wouldn't make much sense for him to be more than a side character as he'd be around 60 if the games set in the present day.

I'm hoping we either haven't seen the protagonist or they're going to do something like Pulp Fiction and split it up, and perhaps we've seen more than one protagonist already.

RDR and the DLC for GTA IV kinda hinted at that approach already, and I think Rockstar are more interested in pushing the story telling further than they are doing a crazy old school GTA.

Also, I could care less about it being more than one city, I just want much more interactivity and things to do in the city they model. Not necessarily crazy stuff, but setting up a business empire or organising a gang, playing the stock market .... that kind of thing.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#730  Edited By uhtaree

Disappointed. Thought this was gonna be a nice re-entry point for me in the series. Looks underwhelming and more of the same. Wasn't interested in the dating of GTA IV and I'm not interested in what this looks like, a reluctant immigrant who happens to beat up, steal and destroy everything he can at will. After Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 2 I don't feel like I need to experience what Rockstar thinks is chic or cutting edge because I get the feeling that GTA III gave me from those games, all the podcast accounts of Niko's dating life back in '08 made me wanna puke.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#731  Edited By prestonhedges

@Andorski said:

@Brendan: It's not about fans wanting the wackiness of past GTA games. I only bring it up as a barometer of how the tone of GTA IV's story was received.

I personally really like that R* tried to venture out and create a more dramatic story. As I said, it was a noble idea for them to aim towards. The problem is that their execution was faulty. You just can't have complete freedom like in past GTA games when trying to direct a narrative dealing the protagonist's growth as he tries to escape his past, deal with the problems of the present, and accepting the consequences of his future. It's just a jarring experience to watch a cutscene about how Niko's past life as a soldier has him woefully remorseful, but then the player drives over a couple of dozen people trying to get the next mission.

LOL. Yeah, it's not like the characters being one-note stereotypes across the board or the radio constantly barraging you with South-Park-magnitude, stupidly cartoonish parodies of "American culture" that broke immersion, no, it was allowing the player the ability to use his gun whenever he wants to or drive over anyone. If only there was a way to avoid that. Then this carefully-crafted American morality tale by a bunch of dudes from England could be experienced to its full fruition.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#732  Edited By Lazyaza

I was hoping for a more interesting setting or a different time period but I'm not really surprised they've gone with modern again. As long as theirs some great npcs and the usual great writing and sub-plots I'll be happy I guess. But overall eh this trailer gives me the impression they're playing it way to safe. Still it is just one trailer that doesn't really show anything aside from the game world so too early to really have a proper opinion.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#733  Edited By Andorski

@gladspooky said:

@Andorski said:

I personally really like that R* tried to venture out and create a more dramatic story. As I said, it was a noble idea for them to aim towards. The problem is that their execution was faulty. You just can't have complete freedom like in past GTA games when trying to direct a narrative dealing the protagonist's growth as he tries to escape his past, deal with the problems of the present, and accepting the consequences of his future. It's just a jarring experience to watch a cutscene about how Niko's past life as a soldier has him woefully remorseful, but then the player drives over a couple of dozen people trying to get the next mission.

LOL. Yeah, it's not like the characters being one-note stereotypes across the board or the radio constantly barraging you with South-Park-magnitude, stupidly cartoonish parodies of "American culture" that broke immersion, no, it was allowing the player the ability to use his gun whenever he wants to or drive over anyone. If only there was a way to avoid that. Then this carefully-crafted American morality tale by a bunch of dudes from England could be experienced to its full fruition.

GTA's parody of American culture is stupidly cartoonish due to the fact that American culture itself is stupidly cartoonish. R* is not even that extreme on depicting some aspects either. Their Faux News Radio is pretty tame compared to actual conservative radio.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#734  Edited By TPoppaPuff

Hopefully this time Rockstar will actually decide one way or another whether they want to make a realistic, authentic and gritty story or if they want to go the wacky, tongue-in-cheek, zany route. Then we won't end up with the jumbled mess of GTA 4's story. Either one is fine. Trying to do both meant there was a lot to be desired.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#735  Edited By TPoppaPuff

@Brendan said:

I'm pretty sure he meant from a story perspective. Unless you're saying Justin Bieber is one of the all time best artists in the history of music.

Gameplay was great, amount of content was great, tone was scattershot throughout. Listen to anyone talk about the game (like say the bombcast they talk about gta4 at length) and they'll all eventually say this game couldn't make up it's mind rather to be silly or serious.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#736  Edited By Max_Cherry

@Frobitz: I don't think that's Ray Liotta.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#737  Edited By benpicko
    @UnbreakableVow

@SpudBug said:

Nothing in this trailer looks outside the power of an Xbox 360 or PS3

It looks wonderful though

Are you shitting me? It's an open world game for one, and it looks much, much, much better than GTA IV on PC on the highest settings, assuming this is real time and not pre-rendered.
    darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#738  Edited By darkstorn

Petty interesting trailer, and it really looks like it represents Southern California culture well. The immigrants picking fruit and while the pesticide plane flies overhead and the guy hammering in the 'foreclosed' sign are a real 'sign' of the times (pun intended...). Then again I'm a sucker for social commentary. Here's to hoping the gameplay holds up!

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#739  Edited By WiqidBritt

I'm hoping that it'll have the open rural areas between the three cities like San Andreas did, though they haven't shown anything other than Los Santos in the trailer, and had said with GTA IV that they were focusing on density more than size, I'm not sure how likely it is that we'll even have three cities. I don't remember, did they change the geography of Liberty City drastically between GTA III and IV? I'm just wondering if they'll do the whole "locking off part of the game world until a certian point in the story" that they do so often, and I don't think Los Santos had any natural barriers, like a body of water or something.

Evercaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#740  Edited By Evercaptor

The tone feels "evolved" to me. No corny signs, etc. If the gameplay is good I may very well buy it.

snaptroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#741  Edited By snaptroll

Since GTA IV was as fun as a sandbox full of parlor games and a buzzing cell phone, I'd Imagine this one won't be too far off.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#742  Edited By RazielCuts

I was so hoping it would be London.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#743  Edited By TheGreatGuero

@HatKing said:

Oh yes, Rockstar. I'll play this. Perhaps though, other than the joy of knowing I'll get to play a brand new GTA soon-ish (hopefully), is the joy I take from the knowledge that the next GTA (hopefully coming on the next line of consoles with an even more impressive engine) will almost certainly be set in Vice City.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Now I'm hyped for two games. Oh man!

shaddowkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#744  Edited By shaddowkhan

I hope we meet up with CJ, like how you raced the guy from GTA 3 in San Andreas. or be able to take the plane to another city

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#745  Edited By thepantheon

Why do you write like Matthew Mconaughey Alex?

I really dislike Matthew Mconaughey.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#746  Edited By fjordson

Beautiful.

Saltank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#747  Edited By Saltank

Sweet!

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#748  Edited By swoxx

MY BODY IS READY

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#749  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm disappointed in the location and what appears to be the lead character. Rockstar have usually been known for taking risks, so having another American dream "I want to settle down" story, in the most popular location of the entire series, is a very safe move. Something a little different would have been nice.

Other than that though, I'm pretty excited. Los Santos was a great location and if the hints of the countryside mean there's going to be more to explore outside of the city.. and possibly even multiple cities again, then fantastic.

will_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#750  Edited By will_m

What if the main character was somehow related to John Marston? I would fucking flip. And yeah CJ and past GTA characters have to make their cameos in this, they just gotta. I'm pickin up what youre puttin down, Rockstar.

Also, that music is just perfect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.