The one thing that will make GTA V a masterpiece.

• 83 results
#51 Posted by Stingraymond (85 posts) -

I despise co-operative experiences.

#52 Posted by Baillie (4274 posts) -

@Shuborno: Here's the thing, I completely disagree with everyone who says GTA IV has that great of a story/atmosphere. It really doesn't, sure it's pretty good, but the way a bunch of you saying how just adding another player will detract from the experience of the story, completely eludes me.

I know I said it'd make GTA V awesome, but I'm completely in the thinking of it making GTA IV more awesome. Niko Bellic is not a great character, I couldn't connect with him on basically any level. The fun parts of GTA IV was the missions, the side missions and the unexpected craziness of an open world game. Sure there are some story sequences which are pretty good, but I can't really believe that is what most of you are wanting from and GTA game?

Mafia II has a better story, why doesn't that get more praise?

I still don't understand how just having another person with you is taking away from the game, is taking so much away from the story, I honestly think you're looking into it too much. Have you played co-op games that have done this, and having a worse experience due to it? You've played, Borderlands, Crackdown, Halo 3 and Too Human. All of these use co-op in the way I want it too, and 3 out of 4 of them have no story as to why there is another player, or 3, with you. Did at any point during a co-operative session in one of these games, did you get a bad taste in your mouth, or anything to diminish the experience?

#53 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

GTA is not the series that needs coop. While I do agree that online coop can improve an experience, I would have hated to play through Nico's story with a friend, it would have lessened the story. Just Cause 3, however, would be the perfect game for 4-Player coop. It's story will be hammy, but in a hilarious way, so you'r not losing anything by playing with a friend.

#54 Posted by Baillie (4274 posts) -

@Arker101: Care you explain how and why it would lessen the story? I'm just curious as to how people are getting this mentality, and I would also like to try and challenge your thoughts. :)

#55 Posted by JCTango (1365 posts) -

@Baillie: I love co-op games! It's even better if they allow for local co-op as well.

#56 Edited by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

GTA needs animals. Get some deadly wildlife up in there to wreak havoc. Let us go crazy in a zoo.

#57 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@Shuborno: Here's the thing, I completely disagree with everyone who says GTA IV has that great of a story/atmosphere. It really doesn't, sure it's pretty good, but the way a bunch of you saying how just adding another player will detract from the experience of the story, completely eludes me.

I know I said it'd make GTA V awesome, but I'm completely in the thinking of it making GTA IV more awesome. Niko Bellic is not a great character, I couldn't connect with him on basically any level. The fun parts of GTA IV was the missions, the side missions and the unexpected craziness of an open world game. Sure there are some story sequences which are pretty good, but I can't really believe that is what most of you are wanting from and GTA game?

Mafia II has a better story, why doesn't that get more praise?

I still don't understand how just having another person with you is taking away from the game, is taking so much away from the story, I honestly think you're looking into it too much. Have you played co-op games that have done this, and having a worse experience due to it? You've played, Borderlands, Crackdown, Halo 3 and Too Human. All of these use co-op in the way I want it too, and 3 out of 4 of them have no story as to why there is another player, or 3, with you. Did at any point during a co-operative session in one of these games, did you get a bad taste in your mouth, or anything to diminish the experience?

The thing that's different about Borderlands, Crackdown, Halo and Too Human is that they are fun to play. The story and setting is mostly irrelevant (and in some cases detrimental). If you took away all of the story and setting of GTA IV and tossed those mechanics in to some other game, nobody would stand for it because it doesn't play very well.

I'm with you that the story of GTA IV isn't great or anything, but to me the only reason I played it was because it was fun to be in that world. It felt like the world was alive and I was someone in it (even if that someone went from being likable to unrelatable after the story's first act). If I wanted a sandbox to mess around in, I'd be more inclined to play Saints Row.

Now, given that Rockstar is doing Max Payne, maybe they'll learn how to make a good action game and if they were to tailor GTA V to co-op, sure, it could be something great.

#58 Edited by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

@Baillie: It breaks immersion, simple as that. Halo:Reach, Gears 3, and GTA 4 all have somewhat immersive story's, and I played through the first two with 4-Player Co-Op, and since I knew I was playing with my real friends, it broke the immersion and I could not get invested in the characters themselves. It was still a great Co-Op experience, but I did not experience the full blunt of the story, as if I would have if I had played by myself.

The part where Dom dies, I had been playing as him, and all of my friends were saying "Oh, so that's why Jace has been hanging out with us, just to replace Dom when he makes his sacrifice, well later Dom."

That's why I think that, while coop can still enhance a experience like GTA, Halo, or Gears, it works a lot better on more zany games like Dead Rising or Saints Row.

#59 Posted by ShangHyuuga (1 posts) -

I have something to say about all this! The people that insanely love GTA... You guys should all remember GTA: San Andreas. BEST GAME EVER.(In my opinion.) For multiplayer. May not of had much of roaming distance from each other, but come on still best GTA game. I'd say. Who agrees? Because to do that created more doors for opening. Created more fun for everyone. Then they quit doing that after GTA: San Andreas. OOOOhhhh was I fucking pissed...... You don't know how pissed I was that they stopped doing that, and did this online shit! What if online suddenly went away?! Then what... The game people would be like oh well guess time to go back to splitscreen. Why not of kept it that way in the first place. I mean come on. What if we didn't have the internet THINK...... A world without internet.... Means no online gaming. Sure proves the gaming corporations smart. Though come on people... think of the better possibilities with out online gaming.

#60 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I'd probably have just as much fun playing the worst game ever co-op then playing a very good game alone, it's all about the people you play with though.

#61 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
Alright Dude, it's time to make some racist sounding comments, it's your time to shine man! Um...
Keep single player games single! Multiplayer/co-op games OUT!
Also, how the **** is making a game co-op compatible gonna turn it into a masterpiece? Gameplay, story and graphics are the cornerstones of great games.
#62 Posted by Masin (131 posts) -

Zombies? Zombies. Definitely Zombies

#63 Edited by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

I love the co-op in general but for it to work in GTA i think it needs to be done right and that involves more than just drop in drop out. 

They need to make it so that playing with a second person provides enhanced features and gameplay mechanics. 

Saints row the third did this with some of their missions but not all of them unfortunately. For example, there's a mission where you drive around with a tiger in your car (Fuckin awesome right?! XD) and the point of the mission is to more or less drive quickly but safely to keep the tiger passive. Straying from either one causes the tiger to get upset and maul you. In SP, when the tiger gets angry you have to do tricks and stunts to get it to calm down again all the while having ur steering affecting because, after all, you're being mauled by a got damn tiger but in MP the second player is playing a mini game the whole time the first player is driving in which case hitting the right prompts keeps the tiger calm and messing that up causes the tiger to get upset and maul player one and mess up their driving. 

Stuff like that is cool. That's what they need to do. They need to add elements that make co-op feel like an otherwise different experience that goes above just having someone there to just shoot things with you. So that it makes you want to jump into Co-op after playing SP so you can have different gameplay experiences from when you went through it by yourself

#64 Posted by ShockD (2430 posts) -
@Masin said:

Zombies? Zombies. Definitely Zombies

I wholeheartedly agree.
#65 Posted by LeeroyPinkerton (64 posts) -

My friend and I really want offline co-op for GTA V. It would be better than switching controllers every time one of us die.

#66 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Shuborno said:

Just play Saints Row 3.

Saints Row 3, a very good and fun game by the way, does not even come close to the feel Grand Theft Auto provides. GTA 4 in co-op mode would've been so thrilling and great, oceans apart from the spongy funky light-weighted feel of SR3. The shooting alone has all the difference in the world.. Your guns felt heavy and real, you felt the bullets sink into your enemies' flesh and bones as they limped and fell, the physics felt real, heavy and crucial. None of that "Shoot the enemy 10 times as he twitches under your hit marker until he drops like a bag of potatoes" feel of SR3.  
GTA is a hard piece of metal, SR is a floating sponge.
#67 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Alright Dude, it's time to make some racist sounding comments, it's your time to shine man! Um... Keep single player games single! Multiplayer/co-op games OUT! Also, how the **** is making a game co-op compatible gonna turn it into a masterpiece? Gameplay, story and graphics are the cornerstones of great games.

Aye. With that being said, I want to list some things I would like to see.

• More control over weapons. What I mean by that is, if there is an exact same gun on the ground, but it has different attachment(s), I would still be able to pick its ammo without the need to change my weapons entirely. Some weapon customization would also be much appreciated (E.g. A gun with and without a silencer are not two different guns, and you can attach a silencer at will. Think Crysis.).
  • Missions that unlock depending on the choices you've made. Would add to replayability.
  • A good variety of clothing apparel, but without taking it too far (Some of the things you could wear in San Andreas...).
  • No RC missions. Ever.
  • Charismatic characters (Though that is pretty much guaranteed, seeing how this is Rockstar and all).
  • Maybe some dialogue options (Or not).
  • A complex economy system.

I don't know, anything that pops into my mind is what Rockstar will make ten times better. So I guess that's it.

#68 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

Single-player needs to be it's own experience. I'm excited to see how they expand the multiplayer in this game though.

Rockstar has had some fantastic ideas for multiplayer games, but few of them have been executed properly. I'm looking forward to stuff like the Crew system in Max Payne 3 and GTA V, those games might be where they finally make all of their ideas click.

#69 Posted by WMoyer83 (650 posts) -

When I think of great co op i think of the heist and portal 2.

#70 Posted by PSNgamesun (412 posts) -

honestly I think it will be a masterpiece because of it's story n I'm assuming that the main character will be a Hispanic n with that there is so much potential that I believe rockstar can achieve. Just look at all the problems Hispanics go through all the violence with the cartels all the stories that r here to be shown, GTA5 can be that story that pushes the boundrys set by franchises like mass effect, uncharted, Half life and themselves. I really believe that's what's going to set this game apart cause I really don't see the gameplay changing that much from GTA4

#71 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Wonder if they will still call you a buster?

#72 Posted by Skyfire543 (740 posts) -

Wouldn't adding co-op to a heavily story based game like GTA, where you are a stand alone character, not part of a gang like in Saints Row where your partner could just be viewed as another homie, be a bit difficult?  All the GTA games revolve around the life of one main character, when it comes down to it and having two of the same character on a mission wouldn't work for the more serious styles of the games.  If they put co-op in the game the entire game would have to played co-op to justify having two main characters, and that's not what I want out of a GTA game at all.

#73 Posted by Ethan_Raiden (344 posts) -

Let's all chill out with throwing around the word, masterpiece.

#74 Posted by Mjdemon (24 posts) -

Like someone said Zombies Zombies Zombies. Ever since Red Dead Redemption got Zombies i wanted Zombies in a GTA game so bad. Imagine playing and having the whole city try to kill you but be able to purchase guns from some ppl and get cars, enter some buildings and stuff. That would make GTA 5 a masterpiece. Wanna play online and instead of holding off the cops have us holding off zombies, getting a bus filling it with a couple ppl and wreck havoc lol.

dont care about co op. How could you do split screen in a GTA game anyways. It wouldnt look all that good

#75 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -

They need to fix the shitty combat, driving, mission design and checkpoint system first before adding anything extra. For examples on how to do those things properly, please take a look at Saints Row: The Third.

#76 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3211 posts) -

I don't think co-op would work in the GTA universe.

#77 Posted by WMoyer83 (650 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

They need to fix the shitty combat, driving, mission design and checkpoint system first before adding anything extra. For examples on how to do those things properly, please take a look at Saints Row: The Third.

There is nothing wrong with any of those things you call shitty, you probably just suck at the game.

#78 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -

@WMoyer83 said:

@Enigma777 said:

There is nothing wrong with any of those things you call shitty, you probably just suck at the game.

Yup, that's it. Bingo. Nailed it right on the head. Etc etc.

*rolls eyes*

#79 Edited by Fjordson (2453 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

Combat is not incredible in either game, though I'll take GTA IV's any day thanks to euphoria. And combat was a lot better in Red Dead anyways so I'm not too worried. Max Payne 3 looks to be an astronomical leap above even Red Dead, but I'm not sure how similar V would feel to MP 3.

The mention of driving blows my mind. Driving in GTA IV was truly perfect to me. I loved the way the cars handled, and how different ones actually felt, well, different. Taking a cue from Saints Row 3 would be nothing short of disastrous. Every vehicle made it feel like I was playing some arcade Go-Kart racer. All stiff, all the same. Bad, bad, bad.

Mission design was fine to me *shrug*

The checkpoint system was occasionally horrific in vanilla GTA IV, I'll give you that. However, like what I mentioned with the combat, Rockstar's already improved their checkpointing in a big way with the DLC episodes (especially Gay Tony) and Red Dead.

EDIT: That's just my opinion, though! Don't mean to rag on Saints Row. It's just....man, that game really did not do it for me.

#80 Edited by Nycalexdunk (52 posts) -

@Fjordson said

The mention of driving blows my mind. Driving in GTA IV was truly perfect to me. I loved the way the cars handled, and how different ones actually felt, well, different. Taking a cue from Saints Row 3 would be nothing short of disastrous. Every vehicle made it feel like I was playing some arcade Go-Kart racer. All stiff, all the same. Bad, bad, bad.

I totally Agree and Maybe its just me but I really think that them making it back in San Andreas seems like the easy way out to get those who loved san andreas and only like gta 4 as much as i love this series and both games (4 more so) I THINK that its definitly time for a new city ( being from new york i loved 4) but its time to do like a chicago or a new miami (vice city) washington dc Something Anything NEW MAP PLEASEEEEEEEEE cant stress this enough for gta 6 in like 10 years

#81 Posted by Korwin (2977 posts) -

You heard it here, all games with Co-op are master pieces. 9.5/10.

#82 Posted by HistoryInRust (6374 posts) -

I wouldn't mind seeing something like the Bandit Hideout stuff found in the Red Dead free roam to show up in GTA V somehow. Expand it, obviously, but the core idea of small, contained, multiplayer missions inside a massive, living sandbox landscape is a pretty powerful one. 

Mostly, just fix the driving. I was a GTA IV apologist, but there's no denying the driving physics were divisive. I'm 100% confident Rockstar knows how to write a compelling narrative and how to construct a vibrant, involved play-area. Liberty City was a crowning achievement in urban free roam environments, and the New Austin/West Elizabeth/Nuevo Paraiso border was the most deeply realized depiction of the (dying) Wild West I've ever seen in a video game. 

#83 Posted by OtakuGamer (1278 posts) -

Sure, that sounds fun. I don't think that alone would make it a masterpiece though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.