There better be checkpoints in the missions in this game.

#1 Posted by supermonkey122 (815 posts) -

I'm currently on the bank mission in GTA 4, and I got all the way to the subway and a fucking cop comes out of nowhere and kills me, so now I have to start the whole goddamn mission over. I got so mad I almost broke my controller!! So, if anyone from Rockstar sees this, there better be checkpoints during missions in GTA 5!!!

#2 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

That mission, Three Leaf Clover, isn't all that hard. Just make sure you start it with armor and full health, and then go with it. Make plenty of use of cover and blindfire from it if needed. It might not be all that accurate but it works a lot of the time anyway. That bit is still quite a good bit from the end of the mission since you do also have to lose the police and return the rest of your buddies to the house you started the mission at. It's arguably one of the longest missions in the game, and I'd also say it is one of the most fun.

#3 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -

There will be, at a guess, since they added them to gay Tony.

But that mission was probably my favourite in the game. Took me a few tries though XD

#4 Edited by supermonkey122 (815 posts) -

@xMP44x: I was having a lot of fun actually, until I died and had to start the whole thing over. It's not a problem with the mission, it's a problem with the whole game. Thanks for the advice.

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9651 posts) -

Or Else!!!

#6 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Yeah that would be nice. I'm pretty sure there were checkpoints in RDR, so there should be some in the new GTA.

#7 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Yeah, not having mid-mission checkpoints really sucked. But, as someone already mentioned, they added them in the DLC so I can't imagine that they wouldn't be in GTA V.

#8 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

@MegaMetaTurtle said:

There will be, at a guess, since they added them to gay Tony.

Actually, they added them with The Lost and Damned DLC.

#9 Posted by mosespippy (4101 posts) -

@supermonkey122: I remember dying on that mission and then on my next run through noticing that there was health packs and armour placed at points along the way. I think there are some in the alleys near a stoop and some near where you enter the subways. There is also that nurse girlfriend that you can phone to refill your health.

#10 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@Shady My mistake. Been so long since I played either XD

Also, what's with everyone playing through this atm? Seems a big random. Just in preparation for 5?
#11 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

The odd thing is that the last mission in GTA IV does have a checkpoint, so it isn't like they didn't have that mechanic in the game in some capacity.

#12 Posted by supermonkey122 (815 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: @Shady: They should have patched them in.

#13 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Yeah but you wouldnt get the sweet different dialouge on the way to the bank. But yeah they will, the expansions had it.

#14 Posted by supermonkey122 (815 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: I've died like 5 times, I've seen it all

#15 Posted by katanalauncher (215 posts) -

@Shady said:

The odd thing is that the last mission in GTA IV does have a checkpoint, so it isn't like they didn't have that mechanic in the game in some capacity.

I think it was a design decision to not have checkpoint, not a technical one.

#16 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

Three Leaf Clover was badass. Best part of that game.

#17 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -

@katanalauncher said:

@Shady said:

I think you mean oversight.

#18 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

@katanalauncher said:

@Shady said:

It's painfully obvious that's the case with its random inclusion in the last mission. Saints Row 2 pushed Rockstar to change their mission design.

#19 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Play Red Red Redemption, it had decent checkpoints.

#20 Edited by NTM (7320 posts) -

@supermonkey122: I agree that it needs a checkpoint system, that's one huge turn off that was fixed in Red Dead Redemption, and heard those side story expansions had it too. If this is your first time through, then that mission as well as a few others will piss you off. Last time I played it though, I beat the mission the first time through.

#21 Posted by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -

I died like 10 times on that last GTAIV mission which made me hate the game.

#22 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

My only advice for that mission is to take it slow. It will take you way longer, but your AI partners will do all the dirty work for you eventually. Just sit back with a sniper rifle if it lets you bring in your guns.

#23 Posted by supermonkey122 (815 posts) -

@katanalauncher said:

@Shady said:

It was a bad choice, no matter what it was.

#24 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

They have since fixed it in the EFLC and RDR. It's a total non-issue at this point.

#25 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

Hell ya it was. Still lowest point in that game was snow job. I still hate that mission to this day.

#26 Posted by supermonkey122 (815 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@EuanDewar said:

Hell ya it was. Still lowest point in that game was snow job. I still hate that mission to this day.

Isn't that the one where you steal the coke from the hospital? That one wasn't too bad.

#27 Posted by supermonkey122 (815 posts) -

Oh, and can anyone tell me how close I am to the end of the game?

#28 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

A little over halfway through.

#29 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

errbody makes mistakes, it takes a bigger man (company) to admit them and fix it.

#30 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

Yeah it was super annoying to keep dying and having to start the whole mission over in GTA4. Thankfully their games since then have had checkpoints.

#31 Posted by Vextroid (1381 posts) -

@supermonkey122 said:

Oh, and can anyone tell me how close I am to the end of the game?

Halfway. Beating that mission unlocks the 3rd Island IIRC.

#32 Edited by Yummylee (21473 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

I died like 10 times on that last GTAIV mission which made me hate the game.

Yeah, that was the only mission where the lack of checkpoints really stuck out for me. It's a fairly long mission, but the bit that pulls it all apart is when you have to try and ride your bike up the ramp on the beach and reach lil Jacob's helicopter... fucking nightmare. GTAIV was relatively easy otherwise.

Oh, and of course there'll be checkpoints in GTAV...

#33 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@supermonkey122 said:

@scarace360 said:

@EuanDewar said:

Isn't that the one where you steal the coke from the hospital? That one wasn't too bad.

No i hate it because it took me 15 trys to beat it. Dont know why it just did.

#34 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

I do hope so. I got quite annoyed at the lack of checkpoints aswell. Otherwise Three Leaf Clover is fun as hell.

#35 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Ballad of Gay Tony and Red Dead were massive improvements over GTA IV with mission checkpoints, so hopefully it'll be fine.

#36 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

In my opinion checkpoints should be in every single player game as it's just never fun to start back to beginning. My screw ups in Three Leaf Clover were pretty much friendly fire whether the idiot AI would get in the way of my fire or I'd throw a grenade and it bounces back and kills one of them, all while I was in the subway firefight.

#37 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

It is for that very reason why I never finished GTA4 and don't intend to.

#38 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

how come Dark/demon souls gets prasied for not having check points but GTA gets shat on.

i bet its because there are different types of games and people expect different things from them or something. i just don't know the rules

#39 Posted by ShockD (2400 posts) -

ITT: we're all noobs and can't play without checkpoints. 

Quit whining, this ain't Call of Duty.

#40 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

It's weird that San Andreas had more than GTAIV.

#41 Posted by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -

I hate to necro, but I just beat GTAIV (in preparation for V, natch) and the lack of checkpoints made me hate the game SO MUCH in the back third. SO FUCKING MUCH.There was no excuse why they didn't put them in, especially since they acknowledge that they are clearly capable of doing it in the final mission. Literally, the worst game design decision I have ever seen. Thank goodness they learned their lesson with EFLC and RDR.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.