This will launch with Wii U

• 57 results
#1 Posted by Jep (30 posts) -

There was talk of Rockstar being one of the first devs to acquire tools for the hardware, and it's unlikely that it will launch next summer, as that's too close to Max Payne 3 in March. I say a November 2012 release on Wii U, 360 and PS3.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19336 posts) -

Yeah, so? Wii U will be on the level with the 360 and PS3, so it wouldn't be surprising at all.

#3 Posted by Jep (30 posts) -

Actually, it's slightly more powerful than those systems. It would be surprising because GTA isn't a franchise typically associated with a Nintendo launch. Plus, GTA has never happened on a non-handheld Nintendo system.

#4 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

Graffiti on the touch screen, yo.

#5 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Wii U... I still can't believe how stupid that name is.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11927 posts) -

Wii U master race!

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Who would that be for? People interested in those kinds of games already have another console, and probably think the Wii is "ghey" or something. Is it for little Timmy who can trick his grandma into buying GTA games for him now on his "family friendly" console? Someone who refused to buy a 360 or PS3 despite them costing half or less than their launch prices? Who would be this customer?

As we all found out with the Gamecube, trying to do console experiences other companies do significantly better is not what is interesting about Nintendo. I hope they don't try to pander to the hardcore in a way that feels inauthentic like that E3 reveal. They should just do what they do best.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Get me when there's actual confirmation.

#9 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Jep said:

Actually, it's slightly more powerful than those systems. It would be surprising because GTA isn't a franchise typically associated with a Nintendo launch. Plus, GTA has never happened on a non-handheld Nintendo system.

Do you have actual spec information with sources or are you just speculating that it will be slightly more powerful?

#10 Posted by AjayRaz (12427 posts) -
@XII_Sniper: they already tried GTA with Chinatown Wars on the DS, and while that was good, it didn't sell well at all.  

i wonder what they're up to.
#11 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@XII_Sniper: they already tried GTA with Chinatown Wars on the DS, and while that was good, it didn't sell well at all. i wonder what they're up to.

See that's my exact problem, they're going for a market that exists in small numbers. GTA fans and people who own and care about DS games are few and far between. That's why they had a great game that they were forced to port to three other platforms, two of those being iOS for around 10$ to see any kind of money from that game.

#12 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Doesn't Wii U have like... a terrible control scheme for that kind of game? I'm not really up to date here, the only thing I remember is that giant screen as a controller...

#13 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

GTA hasnt been on a Nintendo console. However, Godfather and Scarface both were, so GTA getting ported isnt that out there. Manhunt 2 was on Wii, so Rockstar isn't above putting out a game for a Nintendo console. That said, GTA V will most likely be on the Wii U, but I think we'll see it sooner, rather than later. Next April would be 3 years since GTA IV, so next June or so sounds like a good date, to me. Assuming Max Payne 3 hits in March, that puts GTA V out in the following fiscal quarter which makes for a good start to Rockstar's year.

#14 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

I remembered a controller that was like an iPad yesterday, and I thought for about 5 minutes that it was just a dream I had.

NOPE! Then I remembered: that's really happening. And nobody cares.

#15 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

@Axxol said:

@Jep said:

Do you have actually spec information with sources or are you just speculating that it will be slightly more powerful?

This all day.

Lets even assume this to be true for fun.. How many of you here would buy a 300+ dollar console, for a very "slight" increase. Considering you all have friends on the systems you own now that will be running the game all the same.. seriously.. anyone? Was something on the news last night about how nintendo is bleeding out money.. 1 billion in losses in the last 6 months according to them. If they don't handle this right they are toast. But hey at least we would finally get Zelda and the other rehashes of 30 year old franchises on our preferred consoles, if they were forced to sell off like Sega (sniff)..

#16 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@TotalEklypse said:

@Axxol said:

@Jep said:

Do you have actually spec information with sources or are you just speculating that it will be slightly more powerful?

This all day.

Lets even assume this to be true for fun.. How many of you here would buy a 300+ dollar console, for a very "slight" increase. Considering you all have friends on the systems you own now that will be running the game all the same.. seriously.. anyone? Was something on the news last night about how nintendo is bleeding out money.. 1 billion in losses in the last 6 months according to them. If they don't handle this right they are toast. But hey at least we would finally get Zelda and the other rehashes of 30 year old franchises on our preferred consoles, if they were forced to sell off like Sega (sniff)..

I wont be buying a Wii U. I don't care what anyone claims, it is not the start of the next generation, it is late to this one. It will probably be respectably more powerful than 360 and PS3, but the next MS and Sony consoles will certainly dwarf it, so I'll wait for those. Plus Nintendo's online functionality is garbage, their online store makes PSN look elegant and they always insist on using some oddball media format and silly ass controller.

#17 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

@TotalEklypse said:

@Axxol said:

@Jep said:

This all day.

I wont be buying a Wii U. I don't care what anyone claims, it is not the start of the next generation, it is late to this one. It will probably be respectably more powerful than 360 and PS3, but the next MS and Sony consoles will certainly dwarf it, so I'll wait for those. Plus Nintendo's online functionality is garbage, their online store makes PSN look elegant and they always insist on using some oddball media format and silly ass controller.

Get out of my head.

#18 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

GTA V exclusively on the Wii U. I am calling it.

#19 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Reggie is going to tattoo the V on his ass. Bet on it.

#20 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -
@Jep said:

I think you might well be right that GTA V could be a Wii U title, and it'll be refreshing to see a GTA game on a Nintendo home console, but I very strongly suspect this comment about the power of the Wii U is a guess passed off as a fact. As far as I know there are no solid details about the full specifications of the Wii U and I was searching for that kind of thing a day or two back. Can you give us a source on these specs?
#21 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

I'll play it there maybe. There could be interesting things with the screen.

But somehow you guys found something to complain about. You just are so determined to let people know how little you care about Wii U that you can't shut the fuck up about it. Pathetic. Nobody gives a shit about what you're not buying. You're a twitter feed with no followers.

The target market for the Wii U and GTA V is relevant to a discussion about the possibility of GTA V being released as a launch title on that system (exclusive or not). Did I say more than needed? Sure. Doesn't make my statements any less truthful.

#22 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

@Jep said:

I think you might well be right that GTA V could be a Wii U title, and it'll be refreshing to see a GTA game on a Nintendo home console, but I very strongly suspect this comment about the power of the Wii U is a guess passed off as a fact. As far as I know there are no solid details about the full specifications of the Wii U and I was searching for that kind of thing a day or two back. Can you give us a source on these specs?

www.hisass.com

Previous insights from his ass: motion control will never catch on, PC gaming is dead, etc.

#23 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

But somehow you guys found something to complain about. You just are so determined to let people know how little you care about Wii U that you can't shut the fuck up about it. Pathetic. Nobody gives a shit about what you're not buying. You're a twitter feed with no followers.

Time to change your diaper?

What's going to happen with the Wii U is a very interesting question and naturally people will express their opinion on it whenever it's brought up, whether we're talking about game releases or console functions or Nintendo's economy.

#24 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

@ryanwho said:

The target market for the Wii U and GTA V is relevant to a discussion about the possibility of GTA V being released as a launch title on that system (exclusive or not). Did I say more than needed? Sure. Doesn't make my statements any less truthful.

I have no doubt you believe it. Doesn't make anything you said factual. Plenty of people said the GTA DS game failed only because of the handheld, then it proceeded to fail on PSP. Doomsayers have a history of getting it wrong about 9 times out of 10. If you shit on the prospect of everything Nintendo, the one time you turn out right you can be like "see I told you so". BS prediction is an industry. "Truth" has nothing to do with it though. You're just playing the law of averages. Take a dump on everything Nintendo does, you're bound to be right one day and that one time you're right is all other people doing the same shit as you will remember.

Something that's not out yet doesn't have an established audience, and the audience it brings in will be determined by what it provides. Wii U has the GTA audience because Wii U is putting GTA out on their console at launch. Get it? Not rocket science.

#25 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

@BionicRadd said:

@ryanwho said:

I have no doubt you believe it. Doesn't make anything you said factual. Plenty of people said the GTA DS game failed only because of the handheld, then it proceeded to fail on PSP. Doomsayers have a history of getting it wrong about 9 times out of 10. If you shit on the prospect of everything Nintendo, the one time you turn out right you can be like "see I told you so". BS prediction is an industry. "Truth" has nothing to do with it though. You're just playing the law of averages. Take a dump on everything Nintendo does, you're bound to be right one day and that one time you're right is all other people doing the same shit as you will remember.

Check yourself, sir. I have owned every single console Nintendo has released and still play my DS Lite regularly. I bought a Wii within a couple of months of it launching (phoning Gamestops every day for 2 weeks to finally snag one). So I do not "shit on everything Nintendo" and I am not a fanboy of any console in particular, at all. Nintendo has never taken online functionality seriously on any of their consoles, including the 3DS, so I do not expect that to change for the Wii U. So me shitting on the Wii U is not playing the law of averages. It is me shitting on one console based on what Nintendo has done with 3DS and Wii and what I have seen with Wii U. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but I've got a 250 dollar console that's only good for watching Netflix these days, so I am a little bit pissed at Big N and do not have any faith in them, whatsoever.

As for GTA V bombing on Wii U, I never said that. I said I wasn't going to buy a Wii U. People that buy a Wii U that like GTA may very well opt for the Wii U version if it ends up being a launch window title for the system and doesn't come out next year before the Wii U launches. That's an awful lot of ifs. Odds are good, though, that anyone that has all three consoles will buy GTA V on a 360 or PS3, because the kinds of people that typically buy games like GTA tend to like playing them on those consoles (Achievements, Trophies, better online, etc).

#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:

Wii U master race!

You should be ashamed of yourself!
#27 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Nah, April 2013 at earliest.

#28 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

God, no. The Wii U looks like shit.

#29 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Jep said:

Source? Also why spend 300 bucks or more on a console that is "Slightly" More powerfull
#30 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

won't 99% of people that want GTA 5 just buy it for the 360 or PS3, because they already own those consoles?

#31 Posted by RobertOrri (1129 posts) -

That Lego City game will destroy GTA V, anyway. They might as well not even publish it.

#32 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@RobertOrri said:

That Lego City game will destroy GTA V, anyway. They might as well not even publish it.

damn straight
#33 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

ugh I hate myself for this...

It.. just... had... to be done.

#34 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@ryanwho: Why do you think the Wii-U is the 2nd comeing?
#35 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

@ryanwho said:

@BionicRadd said:

@ryanwho said:

Check yourself, sir. I have owned every single console Nintendo has released and still play my DS Lite regularly. I bought a Wii within a couple of months of it launching (phoning Gamestops every day for 2 weeks to finally snag one). So I do not "shit on everything Nintendo" and I am not a fanboy of any console in particular, at all. Nintendo has never taken online functionality seriously on any of their consoles, including the 3DS, so I do not expect that to change for the Wii U. So me shitting on the Wii U is not playing the law of averages. It is me shitting on one console based on what Nintendo has done with 3DS and Wii and what I have seen with Wii U. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but I've got a 250 dollar console that's only good for watching Netflix these days, so I am a little bit pissed at Big N and do not have any faith in them, whatsoever.

As for GTA V bombing on Wii U, I never said that. I said I wasn't going to buy a Wii U. People that buy a Wii U that like GTA may very well opt for the Wii U version if it ends up being a launch window title for the system and doesn't come out next year before the Wii U launches. That's an awful lot of ifs. Odds are good, though, that anyone that has all three consoles will buy GTA V on a 360 or PS3, because the kinds of people that typically buy games like GTA tend to like playing them on those consoles (Achievements, Trophies, better online, etc).

Don't bother with "ryanwho", he's a known troll. He just wants to stir things up and insult people as much as he can.

#36 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

For some reason I don´t see that game coming out next year, aren´t they gonna be busy with Max Payne 3?, so far Rockstar has been pretty steady with their releases but only putting one mayor game a year focusing solely on that one and making content for it GTA IV 08, Episodes from LC 09 , RDR 2010 , L.A Noire 2011 , but Im not couting Midnight Club or some other that can´t remember right now, well won´t know until Nov 2 .

#37 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@AngelN7: Rockstar has multiple studios, now. It's not that far fetched to think that they've working on GTA V for awhile. With it going to LA, they can probably use a lot of assets from Noire.

#38 Posted by SimonM7 (129 posts) -

Well the hilarious thing is that a dear friend of mine would do a 180 on his approaching 10 years of knocking GTA to finally embrace it because it's on a Nintendo console. It'd be worth it just to NEVER LET HIM LIVE THAT DOWN.

#39 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@BionicRadd: Im not saying they aren´t big enough to work on multiple tittles they totally can but going by their previous release history they´ve only put out one mayor game a year and focus on deliver content for it wich I think is great, the Episodes from LC is some of the best pieces of DLC out there , I don´t know if they put the same care for RDR or L.A Noire as far as DLC goes but they certantly now how to make their games stand out long after launch.

#40 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I wonder what the motion controls will be like for this, also about time nintendo got GTA, the wii didnt have enough shanking or enough third party support and I hope that changes with the wii U, I doubt it though.

#41 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@Jep said:

this. nintendo and gta...?

but.. but nintendo is the supercute innocent one...

#42 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

@Jep said:

Specifications have not yet been released however in order to play devils advocate and help the poor guy out, here's a few articles on the matter. Now I'm not endorsing these as my own opinions, just helping out Jep. Oh and hey guys.... Does no one use Google anymore? (Not speaking directly to one person, this is meant for everyone wanting this question answered)

http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-wii-u-is-50-more-powerful-than-ps3xbox-360-tip-devs-14159242/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nintendo-Wii-U-50-More-Powerful-than-PlayStation-3-or-Xbox-360-205911.shtml

http://www.1up.com/news/ibm-nintendo-wii-watson-brains

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/nintendo-wii-u-50-more-powerful-than-ps3--965828

#43 Posted by Mexican_Brownie (201 posts) -

Sure why not, could be cool.

I imagine Rockstar could come up with some good uses for the touch screen a la Chinatown Wars.

#44 Posted by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -

@Jep said:

even if it was more powerful then the ps3 and 360, there's no way any developer is going to be tapping into its full potential at or near launch. Launch wii u games are probably going to look like two year old ps3 / 360 games at best.

#45 Edited by Contro (2040 posts) -

It would have to have improved specs over PS3 and 360 for Crytek to be happy with it.

We are also planning to launch the Wii U, which is the successor to the Wii, during the next fiscal year. We would like to show the final format of the Wii U at the E3 show next year. As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.
#46 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@valrog said:

Doesn't Wii U have like... a terrible control scheme for that kind of game? I'm not really up to date here, the only thing I remember is that giant screen as a controller...

it's a regular controller with all your usual buttons PLUS a touch screen. so no, nothing terrible about that.

you obviously can't see the shoulder buttons, but they're there.

#47 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

won't 99% of people that want GTA 5 just buy it for the 360 or PS3, because they already own those consoles?

But if you're buying the new system, then you might as well get it for that, especially if it is going to be slightly more powerful.

It's maybe not a selling point for the game itself, but it is going to help if you can buy it and play new Mario and GTA games, rather than just Mario.

#48 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -

So the Wii U is going to be able to play games I can already play with my xbox? Guess that means I should buy a Wii U and play GTA on that.

#49 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@DeF said:

@valrog said:

it's a regular controller with all your usual buttons PLUS a touch screen. so no, nothing terrible about that.

Yep, one person per Wii U gets to use that admittedly awesome controller. If Nintendo reverses that asinine decision and makes it wireless, I'll be interested in a Wii U, even if getting a second controller costs me a hundred bucks.

#50 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

@DeF said:

@valrog said:

Yep, one person per Wii U gets to use that admittedly awesome controller. If Nintendo reverses that asinine decision and makes it wireless, I'll be interested in a Wii U, even if getting a second controller costs me a hundred bucks.

There is SO much misinformation out there. Why would you think it's NOT wireless? Of course it's wireless, anything else would defeat the whole point. Also, that "only one controller" thing is something they have already clarified many times because of all that confusion - they said it could very well support multiple touch-controllers and they are still working out if that's possible or not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.