Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Thoughts on the PS4/Xbox One edition?

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By johnnymcginley

I am finding the FPS mode fairly stunning.

A few tips if you're starting out:

- Spend a chunk of time customising your FPS options in the menus, there's a real host of options you can toggle and change for your own playstyle. I found I had to change a fair bit, the most glaring is changing the control method to 'Standard FPS' which means you don't have to hold X or A to sprint and can click down on the left thumbstick. You can also change things like head bobbing and third person cover to make it really feel like an FPS, but I'm enjoying the hybrid action I have going on.

- You can make sure on foot is FPS and in car is third person by default by going to Display settings and changing 'Allow Independent Camera Modes' to 'On'. It's not explicit this is what it does so thought I'd shout it out.

They've really gone to town on making this an FPS experience you want to play, it's not half-hearted nor is it a gimmick. I am finding lots more easter eggs/jokes in the world just by being in this viewpoint, it becomes apparent just how amazing the design in this game is.

Rockstar really do make you feel like you have value for money, even when they re-release games at full price, which is quite an achievement. This edition oozes quality and I imagine those waiting on the PC version are going to be in for a real treat.

Enjoy!

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Never played the last-gen version, but it seems really solid so far, minus some stiff aiming controls.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are also smaller changes and new features worth mentioning like:

• The ability to aim with L1 and shoot with R1 while driving. Finally!
    • On the Dualshock 4 touchpad, you can swipe up and down to change the music stations and swipe left and right for weapons.
    • It's a shame that clicking in on the touchpad only changes the perspectives, I would've love to have one side reserved for changing views and the other for viewing the map.
    • Also there's a ducking feature when you're in a vehicle? Not sure what the use is, at first I thought it was to evade the police akin to Watch Dogs' version of switching the engine and going incognito but I heard it might be to make it harder for other people to shoot you.
    cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Also there's a ducking feature when you're in a vehicle? Not sure what the use is, at first I thought it was to evade the police akin to Watch Dogs' version of switching the engine

It definitely does do that, because the game gave me a little popup saying as much when I was trying to drop my wanted level.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I barely touched the 360 version, so I can't really speak to the differences. I really like what I played so far. Sadly, the update that worked very well this morning doesn't work now and I can't get into the online.

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexl86 said:

I barely touched the 360 version, so I can't really speak to the differences. I really like what I played so far. Sadly, the update that worked very well this morning doesn't work now and I can't get into the online.

Having similar issues with the update on PS4.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cloudymusic

@probablytuna: Hard to know. I did it while parked in an alley and I successfully evaded detection. Later, I tried it while out in the open and got noticed anyway. It probably helps, but it's not going to save you in plain sight.

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bit where Chop fucks the other dog ain't that much fun in FPS mode.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are cats in the game now. CATS!

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Nodima

The amount of new music they added is pretty incredible, and my girlfriend (who already listened almost exclusively to Non Stop Pop FM) finds it hilarious that I Want It That Way is on the soundtrack.

The FPS is taking some getting used to, I wish that they had the right stick snap-to-target that they have in third person mode. I'm enjoying the perspective now that Destiny and Bioshock Infinite have taught me I can still enjoy FPS games (before then it was the first Modern Warfare and that was about it outside of the DOOM/Wolfenstein era) but it doesn't feel all the way like an FPS. Granted I haven't toyed around with the other control schemes yet, Im sort of waiting for some of the other guns to unlock.

Which reminds me, I don't have that extra $500,000 in story mode or whatever for pre-ordering/upgrading from PS3 or whatever the deal was. I did get a prompt for the new stuff though and see the Rail Gun waiting to be unlocked (why do I have to wait for this gun?!).

Also disappointed in the rear view mirrors while driving, they are early Nintendo 64 quality textures. So much mud. It's a real shame considering how much detail went into the driving otherwise, much of which was likely already in the game but actually observable now - radio decks that display the station, artist and song title, working speedometers, honking animations, slamming the wheel when someone wrecks into you, the L1+R1 shooting mechanic...it makes the lack of useful or even appealing rearview even more apparent.

I had various routes in the city memorized from all my playthroughs of GTA V and I've found that the first person perspective actually makes it even easier to remember which way to go. Earlier today I was streaming to no one as usual just for kicks and I impressed the hell out of myself by navigating the freeways, run offs and neighborhoods back to Franklins house without ever really consulting the map other than a couple glances at the GPS. Los Santos is the first city since Vice City I can say that about.

Speaking of navigation, the addition of the quick nav menu from GTA Online to the single player experience is so damn welcome. Hold the touch pad down for a couple seconds and a menu pops in the upper left just like Online allowing you to choose waypoints, check your inventory, etc. So much better than having to pause the game and scroll the map every 10 minutes.

I LOVE THE LIGHTING. My TV is only 720p so I can only imagine what some other people are seeing but great googly moogly is this an amazing looking game. Also, I know Patrick was fairly down on V overall but this is a texture fetishist's dream. There is SO much flavor in this game, I spent 10 minutes walking around the Ammu-Nation by Simeons earlier this morning just reading signage. It really is amazing how much detail they put into that stuff.

Overall Im enjoying the novelty of the first person but I may end up playing most of the story in third person if only because it seems like the game is still mostly designed to be played that way. I'm really surprising myself with how quickly I've taken to driving in first person, though. I feel just as adept as I did in third person on last gen.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

There seem to be a whole load of little changes/additions that I haven seen mentioned anywhere.

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I would say about first person is you still need to use the cover using R1 as much as possible.

If you press L2/LT from there, you can snap to targets easily just like in third person. (You can also switch this off on menus)

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Evilsbane

I would honestly call this an achievement, the FPS mode is really engrossing and they way they give you every control method you could want is really something else. It also looks amazing which makes the FPS mode transform this game into something akin to Far Cry 3-4 in a City and its Fucking awesome.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not worth the 60 bucks maybe 30 but its not that much of a better looking game to justify 60 also first person is meh and the charecter transfer is not working correctly for lots of people including myself I have non of the cars that I bought nothing transfer d over except my character and rank. rockstar forums are on fire right now and I honestly wish I didn't waste my money buying this game a 2nd time after playing it. it is honestly not fun at all anymore and the fps view does nothing to help it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@johnnymcginley: I found the First person mode to be disappointing with how it controlled, but I'll try some of your tips and see how they make it feel. Either way this was one of my fav. games of last gen and I will be happy to play it again with the amazing new graphics and added bonuses regardless of 1st person mechanics.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one experiencing input lag on ps4? it seems to take a split second before my character reacts/aims and its really throwing me off, I had such a hard time aiming I didn't remember having such a hard time on the ps3 so I popped it back in the ps3 and guess what?... practically no input lag ...And I dont think its my tv because it does have some input lag but its tolerable and ive even noticed the input lag being way less on native 1080p ps4 games compared to 720 ps3 games normally... maybe its only in the first part in the snow but hmmmmm I dont know, I noticed it as soon as i turned the camera for the first time and screwing with the settings doesnt help either.. Curious to see if this will persist past the intro sequence

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RonGalaxy

So, I just saw this image when looking at the digital foundry performance analysis for the game

No Caption Provided

Can anyone confirm/deny this image to be true? It seems really absurd that the 2 versions could be so different.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frankiebeanz

@rongalaxy: that shot is a lie.

the 60 bucks I spent for extra grass was not worth it. the people that say that the graphics are amazing are fooling them selves. the original was not a bad looking game is what people are forgetting and their mind is playing tricks on them making them think that this is that much better, its really not, maybe at 30 or 40 bucks but not at 60 same goes for the last of us originally a great looking game just slight better ps4 version not worth 60 bought it for 30 with the ps3 version as trade in thats what I would suggest with gta also don't waste 60 like I did.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lamar is still hilarious. That is all.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By handlas

@rongalaxy said:

So, I just saw this image when looking at the digital foundry performance analysis for the game

No Caption Provided

Can anyone confirm/deny this image to be true? It seems really absurd that the 2 versions could be so different.

haha.... ya looks like someone is getting cheeky and posting a 360/PS3 and labeling it Xone. Is it not obvious?

I bought it on Xone but, with a crap internet, it took me over a full day to download it. I'll try it out tonight and sure hope it doesn't look like a 360 game (like above). Mainly just got it for first person view

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@rongalaxy: that shot is a lie.

the 60 bucks I spent for extra grass was not worth it. the people that say that the graphics are amazing are fooling them selves. the original was not a bad looking game is what people are forgetting and their mind is playing tricks on them making them think that this is that much better, its really not, maybe at 30 or 40 bucks but not at 60 same goes for the last of us originally a great looking game just slight better ps4 version not worth 60 bought it for 30 with the ps3 version as trade in thats what I would suggest with gta also don't waste 60 like I did.

They're still full games, so you're going to pay full price for them. This isn't like an expansion pack or something.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RonGalaxy

@handlas: It just seems weird that digital foundry would link to that image without there being something behind it. They never seemed like the type of people who would post something like that only for it to be a bullshit bait and switch to get people riled up. Guess I could be wrong about that

@frankiebeanz: I don't pay full price for video games because it doesn't take very long to find somewhere that will discount them. Hell, you can already get GTAV on ps4 for 50 bucks on ebay. And not just some random internet schmuck putting their copy up either. Brand new from an ebay retailer that gets them from game publishers. I got the new call of duty from the same seller for 40 bucks recently, and that's only a few weeks old. No tax either!

I guess that's a lie though. I do pay full price for smaller, independently funded/published video games. Because I know the people making them are doing it out of a passion for the medium, and not to increase their profit margin.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Evilsbane

@handlas said:

@rongalaxy said:

No Caption Provided

haha.... ya looks like someone is getting cheeky and posting a 360/PS3 and labeling it Xone. Is it not obvious?

I bought it on Xone but, with a crap internet, it took me over a full day to download it. I'll try it out tonight and sure hope it doesn't look like a 360 game (like above). Mainly just got it for first person view

As an owner of the Xbox One version that is horseshit it looks fantastic.

Edit: There is apparently more Grass and bushes in the PS4 version but something about that shot seems really off.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilsbane: Its definitely 2 pictures taken at different times within the games day, so the lighting can't be compared accurately. But I can tell that isn't taken from a last gen version. Ground textures were much worse that that, the trees look too nice, and there's more foliage, even if it doesn't look like much compared to the ps4 version. Digital foundry confirmed the difference, though it isn't always that striking. It depends on the area.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilsbane: Its definitely 2 pictures taken at different times within the games day, so the lighting can't be compared accurately. But I can tell that isn't taken from a last gen version. Ground textures were much worse that that, the trees look too nice, and there's more foliage, even if it doesn't look like much compared to the ps4 version. Digital foundry confirmed the difference, though it isn't always that striking. It depends on the area.

There is no doubt its from a new version but your right the Xbox One shot looks like high noon while the PS4 one looks like 6:00PM +

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Seikenfreak

Kind of enjoying it so far? I don't regret buying it or anything. I got it because if I ever wanted to toy around in GTA again, I'd want the improved version. It looks great.

Im just kinda disappointed there wasn't a way to transfer my single-player progress. I 100% it on PS3 and now I'm finding it hard to get myself to do actual missions in this version.

So much of my time has been spent just dicking around and enjoying how good the game looks. I took a jetski and rode around the pier at night and the lighting on the water looks amazing. Another thing was when I pulled into that Quarry area with the big dump trucks, one of them was going out so I thought "hmm never seen them try to do this before, this should be amusing.." And he kept getting stuck but eventually would keep going. I followed him all the way down the highway into the city. Continued to crash into things and go into tight areas but managed to push on until he finally hit an overpass that was too low. Kept ramming into it, which then caused some random pedestrian to get angry and yank him out of the truck. They had a fist fight in the middle of the street and the dump truck driver won. Instead of getting back into the truck, he just walked off, so I followed him. I must have followed him for 30 mins or an hour. Just walking the sidewalks and crossing roads admiring the sights and sounds. The trip only ended because I ended up accidentally entering a haircut place while in first person view.

I haven't been using FPS view too much though. Just feels weird to me on the controller I guess. I feel like I should have a mouse and keyboard for walking and shooting and my Logitech G25 wheel for driving around.

@nodima said:

The amount of new music they added is pretty incredible, and my girlfriend (who already listened almost exclusively to Non Stop Pop FM) finds it hilarious that I Want It That Way is on the soundtrack.

Did they add music? I could've sworn I was listening to stuff and thinking it wasn't in the old version but I couldn't be sure. That'd be amazing if they added more music

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By handlas

@evilsbane said:

@handlas said:

@rongalaxy said:

No Caption Provided

As an owner of the Xbox One version that is horseshit it looks fantastic.

Edit: There is apparently more Grass and bushes in the PS4 version but something about that shot seems really off.

Well I got a good 30-45 minutes in. Game looks good but nothing that blows me away thus far (I mean... it is originally a PS3/360 game so I wasn't expecting too much). Now I wonder if PS4 version looks better tho.

The first person stuff is really fun though so I'll be beating GTAV again... in FPS mode this time around.

edit: Alright, I saw the DF video of the grass. PS4 has more grass basically is all. Looks better in those grassy areas but not the end of the world. Think of all the grass the PC version will have!

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just had my "I hate the cops in this game" moment. I stole a car and got the police on me; I ended up getting outside of their vision and jumped the fence to a golf course and stayed away from them for 15 minutes. They never went away, I never lost them and they ended up finding me. I hate them so much.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Just noticed another little change at GTA V's rendition of the Playboy Mansion there were always topless ladies running around in the next gen version this is apparently not the case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.