Underground hip hop duo making the original score

#1 Edited by Meltac (1999 posts) -

Okay, so we already knew that GTA V would feature an original score, unlike every other Grand Theft Auto game. Now it has been "confirmed" that, the hip hop duo Gangrene will be making said score. If the tweet, from the one half of the duo The Alchemist, is to be believed, him and the other part of the duo Oh No (Producer Madlib's younger brother), will be making the score.

Personally, I think this is exciting news, since they're both producers first and rappers second, and they both have a very distinctive sound, which goes together very well (as Gangrene). They have this sort of gritty, psychedelic, out of your mind sound, which I certainly believe would fit in the world Grand Theft Auto. I am already a big fan of the two, so I hope that this is true, and he is not just fucking with people.

So what do you think of this? How many are already familiar with the dudes, and what do you think of them? To those who doesn't know them, this is the title track from their second album, and a favorite of mine:

EDIT: Okay, so the tweet has been deleted now, but you can still see it on their official Facebook-page.

#2 Edited by AlexW00d (6182 posts) -

That's pretty fucking awesome... If true.

#3 Posted by rentfn (1277 posts) -

I've never been a huge fan of the GTA soundtracks. I didn't enjoy four so I'm not sure I'll be picking this one up. This doesn't really add anything to the plus column.

#4 Edited by Meltac (1999 posts) -

Just found out that Gangrene (The Alchemist & Oh No) had their own radiostationin GTA: Chinatown Wars, so this does seem more plausible now, which is awesome!

#5 Edited by Asger (194 posts) -

So, how will radiostations work?

I really hope I will be able to change the station to a rock or r'n'b/house channel.

#6 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

Awesome!

#7 Posted by triviaman09 (785 posts) -

@Asger said:

I really hope I will be able to change the station to a rock or r'n'b/house channel.

I don't think this means no radio stations, I think this means Gangrene's music will feature at other parts in the game.

#8 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

So good, one of the things I always love in GTA games is when I play it for the first couple of hours and keep getting suprised my the awesome songs on the radio, like when The Who came on in GTA IV.

#9 Posted by gaminghooligan (1407 posts) -

If this is true.... omg... I'm a huge Madlib fan, had no idea Oh No was his little brother but I've been listening to No Idols a lot recently.

#10 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

If this is true it sounds like a pretty good fit for the game in my opinion. I loved the old school rap of San Andreas and this has just enough in common to make me interested.

#11 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I've listened to some crazy noisy shit in my time and enjoyed it immensely, going from the wretchedly disgusting depths of Metal music through terrible Country music and to very underground Hip Hop music. I'm very noise-proof, as long as it sounds good.

Yet, to my surprise, I found that song very annoying in a "messy noise" way. I hope it will grow on me because for the time being I think it will annoy me in the game.

#12 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

Alchemist has come a long way from rapping with Scott Caan

#13 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

Well, that was horrible.

<--- Not a Rap/Hip Hop fan

#14 Posted by Gunslinger0130 (224 posts) -
@rentfn said:

I've never been a huge fan of the GTA soundtracks. I didn't enjoy four so I'm not sure I'll be picking this one up. This doesn't really add anything to the plus column.

That's a little sad as GTA has consistently featured some pretty iconic music, spanning genres and generations, saying you don't like GTA soundtracks is like saying you don't like music... 
#15 Posted by Bollard (5245 posts) -

Wow, they successfully removed the best thing about GTA.

#16 Edited by BaconGames (3290 posts) -

Sure I can get down with some Gangrene. Haven't really followed Oh No down his career path since Dr. No's Oxperiment focusing most of my attention toward Madlib but they're still a great choice. I can only imagine now the distorted psychedelic guitar samples. As rappers I can take 'em or leave 'em but hey, at least I can feel good about them rapping and also it's not Guilty Simpson.

#17 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

No shit that's awesome! Alchemist is definitely one of my favorite producers can't wait to hear how this comes out. And for everyone else I doubt they're gonna remove radio station's, this is probably for story elements of the game and other parts.

#18 Posted by TheHT (10873 posts) -

Well that was awesome.

Hopefully their "mission complete" jingle won't suck after hearing it twice.

#19 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

I have faith, and I also spent my day thus far listening to similar stuff, so I'm IN.

#20 Posted by DarkFury (369 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

I doubt it will mean no radio stations. Rockstar know how big that stuff is (though I think the GTA IV stations were pretty uninspired compared with III, VC and SA).

#21 Posted by ProfessorEss (7278 posts) -

That's kind of exciting.

Definitely a good fit.

#22 Posted by PhilipDuck (530 posts) -

Awesome news! This game is guna be sick! Probably going to be better than the console release from Sony and Microsoft haha

#23 Edited by Catarrhal (820 posts) -

To those of you who are confused, the terms "soundtrack" and "original score" are not interchangeable. In other words--yes, the game will still have Lazlow Jones.

#24 Posted by EuanDewar (4752 posts) -

The Alchemist is a fucking sick producer, this could be the shit

#25 Posted by rentfn (1277 posts) -

@Gunslinger0130: I didn't mean it like that. I'm glad that there is a lot of choices to what to listen to in the game, and I always have a couple of go to songs but the music was never anything I looked up in advance or got excited to see what they would add.

#26 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Awesome, someone at Rockstar needs to leak some big info so I can obsess over it.

@EuanDewar said:

ITS NOT EVERY DAY YOU SEE A PIECE OF SHIT TAKE A SHIT

#27 Posted by EuanDewar (4752 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: FUCK thats delicious

#28 Posted by Bollard (5245 posts) -

@DarkFury said:

@Chavtheworld said:

I doubt it will mean no radio stations. Rockstar know how big that stuff is (though I think the GTA IV stations were pretty uninspired compared with III, VC and SA).

The radio stations in GTA VC literally made that setting.

#29 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

WHAT!?!?!?

This in unreal news. These two are amazing together. Alchemist is a god damn legend. Unbelievably cool news.

This is a great evolution of what they did with Max Payne 3, letting real music artists score their games. Man Rockstar, I love you.

@DarkFury said:

@Chavtheworld said:

There are still radio stations c'mon guys.

#30 Edited by TheSlothKing (329 posts) -

There are radio stations. Kavinsky confirmed he'd be on the Nightride station.

#31 Edited by Meltac (1999 posts) -

Glad to see most of you are just as excited as I am! It'll be interesting to see what they're going to do, because they have a very different, gritty and hardhitting sound to them (especially The Alchemist, ffs how can one be so underrated). Both albums they've made as Gangrene are getting regular spins on my CD-player (especially the second one), and I really do think that their sound fits perfectly in a game like Grand Theft Auto.

Also updated OP, since the tweet has been deleted now.

#32 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

@Meltac said:

Glad to see most of you are just as excited as I am! It'll be interesting to see what they're going to, because they have a very different, gritty and hardhitting sound to them (especially The Alchemist, ffs how can one be so underrated). Both albums they've made as Gangrene are very good (especially the second), and I really think that their sound fits perfectly in a game like Grand Theft Auto.

Also updated OP, since the tweet has been deleted now.

Nice thanks for that. Was wondering where the tweet went, figured it was deleted.

I think Health was great in Max Payne 3 and showed Rockstar doing some very interesting things integrating musicians into a soundtrack. A hip-hop angle... that's pretty crazy. I'm very interested to see how that works out in the game. I really can't imagine how it will sound but I'm very excited.

And you're right about Alchemist. Legend man, legend.

@EuanDewar said:

This mixtape is great but I thought No Idols had even better production. So damn good. But Bronson is my favorite dude rapping right now.

#33 Edited by Meltac (1999 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

I think Health was great in Max Payne 3 and showed Rockstar doing some very interesting things integrating musicians into a soundtrack.

Yes, no doubt. The soundtrack alone was a huge reason why I loved Max Payne 3. It was just such a nice change from all the big orchestral scores nowadays. So if Gangrene can provide something sonically different like that was, I am all for it.

@ArtisanBreads said:

This mixtape is great but I thought No Idols had even better production. So damn good. But Bronson is my favorite dude rapping right now.

Have you heard Covert Coup? His project with Curren$y. Some of the best Curren$y has put out by far, simply because of him.

#34 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Shit these guys are good. I hope the soundtrack is predominantly instrumental because these beats are great.

#35 Posted by Bobstar (310 posts) -

@FunkasaurasRex said:

Shit these guys are good. I hope the soundtrack is predominantly instrumental because these beats are great.

Yeah, I wouldn't even mind if they used the beat for Vodka & Ayahuasca cause that is a sick ass beat.

#36 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@triviaman09 said:

@Asger said:

I don't think this means no radio stations, I think this means Gangrene's music will feature at other parts in the game.

Definitely something along the lines of this.

Radiostations with spoof shows and an extensive and awesome library of licensed music of all genres will be included with the game. Common sense really. It's ingrained in GTA's DNA. Never doubt it.

#37 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

I hadn't heard talk of this since the leak, but confirmation of the producers of the games OST: Gangrene (Alchemist and Oh No), Woody Jackson, and Tangerine Dream.

Not sure if this is old news but I'm staying the hell away from spoilers, leaked footage, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.