Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

When are the media gonna jump on the bandwagon?

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dacnomaniac

So it's almost that time again! The moment so many of us have been anticipating...the release of GTA V. But, for some weird reason (at least in the UK) it's been completely ignored the media. So here's a question for you all, when do think it'll happen? When do you think the media will have a good week or two blaming GTA for 100% of the crime rate ever, like it usually does (slight exaggeration).

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dacnomaniac
    jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These games reward players points for killing civilians it is a murder simulator - Fox news reporter.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm excited to see how the new sexism craze plays into things.

You'd think combining the trendiest topic of the year with the latest GTA would mean click city right?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Well a good week or so after the game has been released it well be accoused of every crime committed.

ghostchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ghostchant

@castiel said:

Well a good week or so after the game has been released it well be accused of every crime committed.

This. I have a feeling that GTAO will also cause more negative coverage

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm excited to see how the new sexism craze plays into things.

You'd think combining the trendiest topic of the year with the latest GTA would mean click city right?

Already happened. When they announced the protagonists, people were upset that rockstar didn't shoehorn in a female protagonist.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I hate the term 'bandwagon'.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShaggE

In six or seven years they'll realize that GTAV was a thing, and they'll run a story on how you can earn points for throwing babies or something. But they'll end it with a joke about Mario or Pac Man to keep them viewers a-chucklin'.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Today Police have arrested 26 year old John Doe after he allegedly shot and killed his estranged wife Tuesday evening. The motive remains unclear though Weazel News has obtained information that suggests the killing was inspired by the latest blockbuster video game Grand Theft Auto V, which is a murder crime simulation game that promotes abortion and satanism. This thought is supported by the fact that through John's browser history, police found he had watched a Youtube video of the game just months prior. Mike Whitely, Weazel News."

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bandwagon is not used correctly in the thread title duder, confusing. When you jump on the bandwagon that means you start liking something that's already popular, not that start attacking something. (ex would be acting like a fan of a sports team, but only because they just made it to the superbowl/world cup and everybody already is rooting for them)

Thought you meant when is the gaming media going to start talking positively about this game, to which I was going to reply WHAT?

As for your actual question: I don't know, probably the day it comes out.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Darson

@geraltitude: It has nothing to do with liking something that's popular. Although that's one form of a bandwagon, yes (and the most common), the bandwagon the media is hopping onto in this case is "video games are destroying humanity".

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I'm glad the games media isn't like hyping or going crazy with the game for the most part because that isn't their job. It is funny and weird when I heard Jeff say on the Bombcast there is no hype for this game though. You see how differently they look at things... hype is huge, among the online community and my friends.

If you mean the media at large, I'm sure it'll just be the ignorant "you get power ups from visiting prostitutes and then points and extra lives for killing them and stealing your money back" stuff.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People has been talking like crazy about it. Me and afew psn homies are going to be hitting up online. We're going to fuck some shit up and have a blast doing it. Committing epic crimes, killing people, robbing people, fucking hoes, its going to be fucking AMAZING!!!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@darson said:

@geraltitude: It has nothing to do with liking something that's popular. Although that's one form of a bandwagon, yes (and the most common), the bandwagon the media is hopping onto in this case is "video games are destroying humanity".

yeah I guess so

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: Well I guess you could say they're loving to hate it.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not the media's job to hype something. That's what marketing is for. Journalists aren't involved with marketing.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So it's almost that time again! The moment so many of us have been anticipating...the release of GTA V. But, for some weird reason (at least in the UK) it's been completely ignored the media. So here's a question for you all, when do think it'll happen? When do you think the media will have a good week or two blaming GTA for 100% of the crime rate ever, like it usually does (slight exaggeration).

I really feel that in the UK at least we have got over this hysteria type nonsense. I think now they have focused on internet forums and chat sites like Ask.fm being the new moral panic, seeing as they are leading to scores of teenagers offing themselves because people are bullying them.

All the mainstream media coverage I have seen about GTA (which is mostly in the Guardian and the BBC so maybe not that representative - i'm sure The Mail or the Express will have a different view) is just about what a big deal and how expensive it is, with a slight side helping of pride that Rockstar started life in Edinburgh.

I don't think games are completely non-stigmatised yet, but I do feel that gaming is much more accepted and understood than at any time previously (even the Prime Minister says he plays Fruit Ninja ffs) and people are much more likely to talk about the success of this game than anything else. I bet it even gets a review on Radio 4 this week - which I will definitely be looking out for. Front Row reviewed Red Dead if I remember rightly so I think they will do GTA5 as well. I love hearing how these highbrow programmes tackle computer games.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's that time again.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

With the mainstream media it will be OH GOD VIOLENCE. With the games press it will be NO FEMALE CHARACTERS AND OH GOD NAKED BOOBIES HIDE THE CHILDREN.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't wait 'till I can easily upload my real life murder spree to Twitch through a console (all while watching The Price is Right at the same time). Next Gen crimes, yo!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25 chaser324  Moderator

@demoskinos: I think the mainstream press cares about the nudity and sex just as much if not more than the violence. The Mass Effect sex scenes and Hot Coffee were newsworthy on their own, but the violence is generally only brought up when someone that's been in the vicinity of a video game commits a real crime.

jachin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just watching Al Jazeera America (not exactly mainstream) and they did a piece on GTAV. Justin Calvert of Gamespot made an appearance.

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A newspaper in the UK this morning had a small article on it. With someone from the head of some teaching union or something like that condemning the torture scene and arguing it teaches torture methods to children. But it was only a small article. There was also a thing on Fox news yesterday where the guest, a doctor pretty much argued games like GTA 5 cause the poor mental states of people involved in mass shootings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.