Where will GTA go next?

• 110 results
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (678 posts) -

It has to be London for the next game, right? It'd be perfect. They can try a different approach as I think they have mastered all that Americana has to offer.

#2 Posted by bigjeffrey (4710 posts) -

We will see in 2018

#3 Edited by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

I would think a second trip to Vice City is next. Seeing as that is still my favorite GTA game (haven't play 5 yet), I would be thrilled if it happen.

#4 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -

The future.

#5 Posted by CaLe (3897 posts) -

I'm with Vinny in wanting a Bladerunner-style future setting. It would be a challenge for sure.

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

Id like to see something with asian influence. Either Hong Kong or Tokyo. Sleeping Dogs was a really cool take on Hong Kong but I'd like to see what Rockstar could do.

#7 Posted by HellknightLeon (446 posts) -

I'm going out on a limb on this one... but 'and stay with me on this one'... GTA 6? No ideas... I'm just shocked I like this one as much as I do.

#8 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

I'm kind of hoping they do two expansion packs for this game, one that has Los venturas, and another that has san fierro. I don't really mind if their campaigns are short but I'd like them to make a patch so they are all connected. If that doesn't happen, I'd like vice city.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

SPACE!

Why hasn't someone made GTA in space yet? Oh, man, I really need to play that copy of X3.

It will probably be Vice City. I didn't GTA before IV, but I would think that they might start coming up with new cities to dick around in.

#10 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1831 posts) -

A Blade Runner GTA game would be pretty excellent, honestly.

#11 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

People were saying London for GTAV too. Wouldn't be surprised if they revisit Miami or something. Although one of the Housers said in an interview they're willing to do it basically anywhere as long as they have a vision for it, so I could see them doing China or Japan too. But my guess is it'll either be America again or a different place that they could effectively satirize well whose culture or sense of place is also well known to the world.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

@demoskinos: Doubt it. If tbe Housers aren't poking fun at the American Dream, it's probably not something GTA will do. And I kind of doubt they could portray Hong Kong or Tokyo the way they have New York and Los Angeles.

#13 Edited by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

In terms of setting, it can be anywhere, it don't matter as its really a flavor of whatever the writers think of. With Saint Row going the route of the Matrix, GTA seems to be taking the more realistic approach.

In that sense, before you beat the game it it becomes a loneliness simulator, the GTA worlds does a great job of making it seem like a real living city. That is what i think GTA would focus even more on; imagine killing a random dude and the next day the corner store is closed and has a makeshift memorial because the random guy you killed was the store owner? (of course for gameplay purposes, the game will spawn a new store owner in a few days or something)

#14 Edited by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

GTA V was in development for over five years and has been out for about 48 hours and you want to know where GTA VI is going to be set? Fuck.

#15 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6151 posts) -

Hong Kong would be a interesting realistic scenario but Sleeping Dogs. :(

#16 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5135 posts) -

SPAAAAACCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE!!!!

#17 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

I'd be happy with a whole new city. Seattle, Pittsburgh, etc.

London would be fantastic to revisit. They could still poke fun at America there, what with tourist culture and casual racism and whatnot.

#18 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -

Anywhere, USA. I wanna see the GTA2 world re-visited.

#19 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -

@theht said:

YES. What was it, fifteen minutes into the future?

#20 Posted by Clonedzero (4043 posts) -

A Blade Runner GTA game would be pretty excellent, honestly.

I was gonna suggest a cyberpunk GTA myself!

#21 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3095 posts) -

Vice City man.

#22 Posted by mrfizzy (1513 posts) -

I have no doubt the next one is going to be Vice City. After that I think they need to change it up, either go outside America to say fake London, Paris, Rome etc or go to the future or something. A GTA game that is inspired by Bladerunner would be insane but at the same time would take a ton of work to make the world believable.

#23 Posted by Franstone (1085 posts) -

A female lead...
They have no choice now.
; )

#24 Posted by Krullban (1021 posts) -

Lets go to Canada!

#25 Edited by EVO (3850 posts) -

It has to take place in America. No other country is more ripe for satire.

#26 Edited by Roger_Klotz (764 posts) -

Washington DC or space.

#27 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -

@greggd said:

@theht said:

YES. What was it, fifteen minutes into the future?

Apparently it was 3 weeks into the future, in 2013, at the end of the millenium, 1999.

So fuck it.

#28 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -
#29 Posted by Hunter5024 (5508 posts) -

Washington DC or space.

Washington DC would actually be pretty great.

#30 Edited by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -

Steelport

#31 Edited by meaninoflife42 (490 posts) -

Space because why the fuck not!?

#32 Posted by Whitestripes09 (397 posts) -

They seem to bring up London a bit, but I think they did in GTA IV as well? I feel like a modern day Vice City wouldn't really be that great. The 80s era is what made that game to be honest.

#33 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4137 posts) -

So no DLC?

#34 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -

Hopefully some DLC for GTAV. I think it's be cool to see those guys pull some heists in (smaller) sections of Liberty City or something.

#35 Posted by joshwent (2051 posts) -

Driving around London at speed would be a fucking nightmare.

#36 Edited by Nodima (1057 posts) -

I'd like to see it in Ireland for some reason. Tie it into the McCrearys.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

@evo said:

It has to take place in America. No other country is more ripe for satire.

Any country is ripe for satire. It's a shame that Rockstar seems only capable of satirizing America, however.

#38 Posted by benpicko (1984 posts) -

Oh fuck I hope it's London. Doing missions for chavs in council flats will be great

#39 Edited by TheStandardToaster (116 posts) -

I think it all depends on GTA online.... If it really pans out, Rockstar might be inclined to add more cities to it as expansion packs..... Who knows... A next gen Vice City would be pretty awesome though.

#40 Posted by RupertTheBear (178 posts) -

Maybe they'll make one about Hawaii since it's exotic, American and it's a island like all the cities in GTA franchise. If their not making a American setting then I'd go with London or Bangkok.

#41 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

jesus the game literally just came out let us get enough of it first

#42 Posted by AlecOfTheWest (275 posts) -

They'll keep GTA in present day america. They can save London or the future (really?) for a new IP.

#43 Edited by Dalai (6980 posts) -

GTA VI will likely return to Vice City and expand to make some sort of faux Orlando or faux Everglades, but what I really want is a brand new location. The Philly/DC corridor would be the perfect choice for all sorts of shenanigans.

#44 Edited by Fattony12000 (6958 posts) -
@acidbrandon18 said:

It has to be London for the next game, right? It'd be perfect. They can try a different approach as I think they have mastered all that Americana has to offer.

They already done did that:

I'd take a Grand Theft Auto: Japan, 1991.

That'd be the fucking dopest shit in the whole goddamn world.

#45 Posted by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

@acidbrandon18 said:

• Grand Theft Auto: London, 1969 - released on 31 March 1999
  • Grand Theft Auto: London, 1961 - released on 1 June 1999

I'd take a Grand Theft Auto / Yakuza crossover game.

#46 Edited by MX (228 posts) -

I want them to make an open world game in the south of the states.

#47 Edited by Fattony12000 (6958 posts) -
@truthtellah said:

@fattony12000 said:
@acidbrandon18 said:

Nah, it has to be the British take on that place and time and society and politics and culture and sense of style. That's what has made the GTA series what it is. It'd be so sick.

GTA is a British look into the world of a version of America.

Yazuka is a Japanese look into the world of a version of Japan.

If there was another game that combined GTA and Yakuza sensibilities, that'd be pretty dope too. But also impossible.

#48 Edited by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

Whatever it is I don't think they should do modern day again, they are just too good at creating the atmosphere of certain time periods. A return to 80's era Vice City would be awesome, or perhaps someplace in the 70's, but not sure what a good location would be. If they end up doing modern day they definitely need to leave the US. Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, Paris all come to mind.

#49 Posted by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@fattony12000 said:
@acidbrandon18 said:

Nah, it has to be the British take on that place and time and society and politics and culture and sense of style. That's what has made the GTA series what it is. It'd be so sick.

GTA is a British look into the world of a version of America.

Yazuka is a Japanese look into the world of a version of Japan.

If there was another game that combined GTA and Yakuza sensibilities, that'd be pretty dope too. But also impossible.

hmmm... Distinct British and Japanese take on a foreign place...

GTA: Yakuza in Mumbai, India

#50 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

Australia, Melbourne. Paul Hogan can voice the protaganist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.