Who else does this with the radio?

• 62 results
#1 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

Assuming you listen to it at all, I mean. So with three playable characters, does anyone else listen to the radio stations based on who you are controlling? When I'm on a mission, generally the radio is off for the better ambient music, but for when I'm driving around from thing to thing, I tend to use the driver as the one who decides what radio station I listen to. So if I am playing as Trevor, I might pop on the punk station. If I am Michael, I might pop on the classic rock. And if I'm Franklin, well I'll probably be banging my head to that Radio Mirror Park for all the indie beats.

I dunno, it might sound weird, but I listen to the different radio stations based on the driver. Just seems to add more...I dunno....flavor? Or maybe I'm just some weird roleplayer person. Considering that I'm barely in the car for a full song, it might just be something silly I do.

#2 Edited by CaLe (3911 posts) -

I always changed it to the talk radio stations regardless of which character I was, until I had heard it all and then usually just turned it off or left it be.

#3 Edited by Nodima (1105 posts) -

Trevor listens to talk radio and pop music (chases and moments after particularly angry cutscenes get the punk though). Michael listens to Worldwide FM and has a sizable investment in their future to the tune of a $110,181 stock option. Franklin listens to Radio Los Santos and FlyLo FM.

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2142 posts) -

I'm not. I listen to whatever tickles my fancy.

#5 Posted by Pr1mus (3813 posts) -

I always make sure to listen to Gimme More by Britney Spears when playing as Trevor.

I more or less listen to whatever i feel like but if i forget about it each characters seems to have their own taste. Maybe i'm imagining things but it seems that every time i play as Franklin and get in his Buffalo the radio is tuned into Radio Los Santos.

#6 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I don't pay attention to the radio much at all when I drive, just like in real life.

#7 Posted by Sterling (2078 posts) -

I mostly turn it off, I find the choices and songs this time around to be pretty lacking. There are a lot of stations. But each one only has a hand full of songs. And in my opinion, none of them are that great. Also the talk radio is pretty weak this time around.

#8 Posted by probablytuna (3540 posts) -

Yep, so far with Michael I only listen to Los Santos Rock Radio while as Franklin I listen to Radio Los Santos and West Coast Classics. I don't even like rap music but I'm kinda into it when I play as Franklin.

#9 Posted by Sterling (2078 posts) -

I kinda think its a little racist you all think/assume the black guy likes rap/hip-hop music. Just sayin'.

#10 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

How does Franklin = indie?

And no, I listen exclusively to the talk shows, they are too funny. The black dude from Curb Your Enthusiasm kills me, and so does Danny Mcbride.

#11 Edited by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

I listen to the Los santos rock station and West Coast classics. When Party all the time and Skeletons come on i switch to the soil station then when Sleepwalking comes on i switch to the Mirror station.

#12 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -

nah I play the talk radio, or either of the rap stations. Or I'll scroll around the wheel and see if there's a song I recognize/like, or that Britney Spears song cause it annoys my roommate.

#13 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (559 posts) -

Yeah, I do actually. Michael: Talk radio (If you've played san andreas, you understand why. Talk radio mentions a lot of clues that point towards easter eggs.) Franklin: HipHop, mainstream. Trevor: Rock.

#14 Edited by zoozilla (977 posts) -

I kinda think its a little racist you all think/assume the black guy likes rap/hip-hop music. Just sayin'.

(I assume this is a joke, but even so)

I would call it a stereotype rather than racism - it's like assuming a white guy wearing plaid, horn-rimmed glasses with a thick neckbeard listens to obscure indie rock.

#15 Posted by gaminghooligan (1413 posts) -

Trevor. Punk. Always.

#16 Posted by Ben_H (3312 posts) -

I don't listen to stations by character but by area. When I am in the hood I listen to the hip hop channels, out in the boonies I have the country or rock channels on. That is if I don't have the talk radio stuff on.

#17 Edited by GreggD (4478 posts) -

Every time you get into his cars, they're tuned to those stations, regardless of what you were listening to last time. So fuck you.

#18 Edited by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

I had a moment the other day where I was on a mission with Trevor and I turned on Radio Los Santos and then Trevor said "THIS MUSIC IS ALL WRONG" and then proceeded to change then the radio station himself back to the punk station. I was shocked they put that in there. So awesome.

#19 Edited by Legion_ (1256 posts) -

I usually just listen to Los Santos Rock Radio. Tend to mix it up with West Coast Classics and Space 103.2, because Skeletons. DAYUM.

#20 Posted by fetchfox (1221 posts) -

I do the exact same thing. Classic rock is great with Michael. They played one of the Footloose songs! It was awesome being chased by the cops with it on.

#21 Posted by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -

I do that.

#22 Edited by Microshock (341 posts) -

No....I don't think one person has one taste in music so I tend to switch it up between all of them.

#23 Posted by Rebel_Scum (637 posts) -

Yeah I do that.

Michael likes his classic rock, and World Music just because he has invested in it

Franklin likes his hip hop

Trevor likes his redneck country music

#24 Edited by CapnThrash (144 posts) -

franklin = hip hop, soul, funk

trevor = country, metal, punk

michael = classic rock, pop.

i default to those, but dont stick to them too often.

#25 Posted by GreggD (4478 posts) -

There's no metal station...

#26 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

Yeah, I tend to play country/rock as Trevor, hip hop and rap with Franklin, with Michael being a mixture of the two. I actually had a cool moment with Trevor during a mission when I changed the radio to rock to fit the mood, and it turns out that it's actually scripted and he will change the station regardless.

#27 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

There's one mission where Trevor is really pissed off and when you enter a car he goes "THIS IS ALL WRONG! CHANGE THE CHANNEL!". I switched to the hardcore punk station and he went: "That's what I'm talking about!" This game never ceases to impress me

There's one station I really miss from GTA and that's the Classical station.

#28 Posted by Vanick (318 posts) -

I pretty much do the same thing. Tearing through the desert in an off-road vehicle as Trevor listening to country music is pretty great.

#29 Edited by dcgc (878 posts) -

I do that, somewhat. Franklin listens Hip-Hop/Reggae (if he smokes weed, he listens to it? Also, he has a poster of something related to that genre of music). Michael 80's music, etc; Trevor, Country and Punk (for agressive moments like mowing down _____). But sometimes I change station to fit the mood. When the cops are after me and the dramatic music plays, I turn off the radio. Something like that...

#30 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

I do the same thing just to get in the mood if you will. But if a good song is on i'll change it to that no matter who i play as.

#31 Posted by Hunter5024 (5544 posts) -

Yes I absolutely do this.

#33 Edited by hankrazorbeard (50 posts) -

@misogynist_the_klown: Good stuff

For me the music I listen to while playing a character have been:

Franklin: Rap/Hip-hop (I am a bigot)

Trevor: Rap/Hip-hop

Michael: Rap/Hip-hop

They all also listen to 'Higher Love' whenever that jam is on.

#34 Posted by Microshock (341 posts) -

Way more people than I expected doing this. Personally, I feel this is BAD role playing because a person doesn't just stick to one genre of music. And I'm the one that has to listen to the music anyway, so I choose what I like.

#35 Posted by frankiebeanz (176 posts) -

I turn it off it sucks compared to VC and SA even 4 might be a bit better I was really disappointed by this

#36 Posted by owack6 (213 posts) -

@greggd said:

@capnthrash said:

What the hell happened to metal stations in open world games??

And where is the classical station...

They really fucked up the radio this time around.

#37 Edited by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I tend to jump around but like to stick with the west coast classics, fuck that new hip-hop shit.

#38 Edited by frankiebeanz (176 posts) -

@robothamster: yea the new hip hop is total crap I hate it myself not one good song its like they took a playlist of a 16 year olds mp3 and just put it in the game. I never even heard of some of the people they put in because I try my best not to listen to the crap hiphop on the radio today.

#39 Posted by Flappy (2131 posts) -

@frankiebeanz: There ain't nothin' wrong with Kendrick Lamar's "A.D.H.D." Future, on the other hand, never fails to make me laugh. He gets paid for that shit.

Oh, and I totally do the radio switching thing with the characters.

#40 Posted by jiggajoe14 (651 posts) -

P-Funk station for every character for me.

#41 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I flip to see if there's a song I really like, and usually default to one of the rap stations if I'm not finding anything. I can't hear the talk shows at all for some reason, so those aren't really an option.

I haven't even unlocked Trevor yet, so. :/

#42 Edited by GreggD (4478 posts) -

@owack6 said:

@greggd said:

@capnthrash said:

What the hell happened to metal stations in open world games??

And where is the classical station...

They really fucked up the radio this time around.

Nope. The radio is great, it just doesn't have those tired old standbys.

#43 Posted by mrcraggle (1826 posts) -

Whatever happened to that Kavinsky radio station? I was super pumped for that but then I saw it wasn't there I we actually pretty disappointed.

#44 Edited by Capum15 (4814 posts) -

Soulwax FM pretty much no matter what.

Edit: Also, this.

Whatever happened to that Kavinsky radio station? I was super pumped for that but then I saw it wasn't there I we actually pretty disappointed.

#46 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

@capum15 said:

Soulwax FM pretty much no matter what.

Edit: Also, this.

@mrcraggle said:

That was a joke, a very bad.. heart stabbing joke made by Kavinsky. Probably paid by Rockstar to fuck with people.

#47 Posted by owack6 (213 posts) -

@greggd: I would agree with you on the classical station it's a very niche thing and mostly used for humorous effects, but this is a game made for teenage boys how could you not put a metal station in your game?

#48 Edited by Ares42 (2576 posts) -

I do what I do in every GTA, listen to the pop station because they are the worst, in the best way possible.

#49 Edited by GreggD (4478 posts) -

@owack6 said:

@greggd: I would agree with you on the classical station it's a very niche thing and mostly used for humorous effects, but this is a game made for teenage boys how could you not put a metal station in your game?

Because they have a punk station. Even though the two cliques kind of hate each other, at least the punks are finally getting their due.

#50 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (367 posts) -

I planned on doing that until I started playing as Trevor and heard how offensively, violently terrible everything on the punk station is. So I spent most of the game listening to the classic rock station, with a bit of soul, funk, "indie", and rap on the side when songs I really like came on. And the talk station, can't forget about how great that always is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.