Will there be 4 playable characters?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

I was watching the second trailer for GTA 5 today and I noticed a recurring theme. They would introduce a playable character and give them a bit of backstory. Michael was a family man, Trevor a hillbilly thug, and Franklin was a car thief. Then they introduced Michael's son James and showed him on a mission with Franklin and Michael on a boat on a freeway. I was curious if anyone else thought this was Rockstar's way of showing that James would be a playable character as well, maybe they'll pull a Red Dead Redemption on us and sneak in another character as a surprise.

#2 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

GIDDY UP YE NAG! LET'S GO! my name is James and I'm Marston's son alright!

#3 Posted by ShaggE (6454 posts) -

I'm going to guess that any fourth playable character will be the dog from the first trailer.

#4 Posted by Picsl (202 posts) -

I have a theory that the female cop from one of the posters is going to be playable and in charge of trying to capture the other 3 playable characters, but you'll only get to play as her in certain missions (meaning no free roam.) I think it would be awesome to play detective L.A. Noire style here and there to gives the game more mission variety (something I've always criticised GTA games for not having enough of.)

I wouldn't bet any money on this being the case, but it does seem like something Rockstar would at least consider doing.

#5 Posted by Meltac (2002 posts) -

I really doubt it.

#6 Posted by Coafi (1488 posts) -

Trois. Three. Anymore than that and it will be too much.

#7 Posted by probablytuna (3664 posts) -

No.

#8 Posted by SeanFoster (868 posts) -

By the time a few DLC packs are out? Yeah, at least four.

#9 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@jamesshell: Except for one, no characters featured in the artwork ever existed in a Rockstar game. So no.

#10 Edited by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

At around 3:08 Franklin is in a gun fight. In the lower right hand corner of the screen is the character switching prompt. There are four slots and two are faded out. I think this bodes well for my 4 playable character idea.

#11 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

@supercycle: It's been reported numerous times that the fourth slot is for your MP character.

#12 Edited by Blommer4 (196 posts) -

@supercycle: It's been reported numerous times that the fourth slot is for your MP character.

Came here to say this

#13 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

Damnit! Just once I want to predict something and have it come true. You couldn't have given me a little glimmer of hope? Just an ounce? Where have you heard this anyways? Where are your numerous reports?

#14 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Damnit! Just once I want to predict something and have it come true. You couldn't have given me a little glimmer of hope? Just an ounce? Where have you heard this anyways? Where are your numerous reports?

:D

I think that detail was included in a lot of the previews that were released a couple months ago.

#15 Posted by Live2bRighteous (317 posts) -

That raises another question... did they confirm you can free roam with your multiplayer character in singleplayer?

#16 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@shagge said:

I'm going to guess that any fourth playable character will be the dog from the first trailer.

I bet the fourth character is actually Kaysens dog Willie. You know that would be cool, sniffing around and whatnot.

#17 Posted by Druminator (1678 posts) -

@supercycle: Also around 1:40 the 4th slot says 38 days? Multiplayer trailer in 38 days?

#18 Posted by artdias (12 posts) -

Better would be to have a "dynamic" 4th character place, like playing as another character just for a specific misison . I think 3 static characters is enough since were used to command 1 hero usually.

#19 Edited by Wraxend (564 posts) -

I suspect James will be the connection to Michael and Franklin meeting for the first time.

#20 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

There will be V playable characters... get it, guys get it! Guys?

#21 Posted by VirtuaGrant (52 posts) -

@shagge said:

I bet the fourth character is actually Kaysens dog Willie. You know that would be cool, sniffing around and whatnot.

Return of Smellovision!

I think maybe juggling three people for the duration of the game is enough. Introducing a fourth for limited periods could be cool though.

#22 Edited by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

It be pretty insane if Rockstar pulled a Metal Gear Solid 2 on us.

#23 Edited by DubstepPanda (1 posts) -

Personally, I am thinking the blonde girl in two of the Photos, why would she be the front cover if not.

#24 Edited by scorch62 (103 posts) -

@dubsteppanda: Women on the covers haven't been in the actual game since, like, GTA3.

#25 Edited by Chaser324 (6546 posts) -

Since this thread is based on speculating about what would be in GTA V, I see no reason to leave it open now that the game has been released.

Locked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.