Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 27, 2002

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is the second 3D game in the series and sixth original title. It features more of the same sand-box action-adventure gameplay with a new 1980s setting, new characters, new weapons and much more.

Anyone got the mobile version?

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

I've been playing enough of San Andreas recently to know that I'm inevitably going to go back to Vice City at some point. However, I'm on the fence between buying it on Steam and getting the Android version. Assuming control isn't an issue (I have a USB gamepad), does anyone have enough experience with both versions to know if one is better than the other? I'm mainly thinking graphics, but if the mobile version has something in place that takes out some of the monotony of failing and restarting missions that may also swing it.

andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By andriv

Extremely short draw distance, dont remember how it was on ps2

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Winternet

Wait, there's an Android version of Vice City? Of actual GTA Vice City and not Vice City Stories or a dumb-down version of it?

But, none of that matter, because I can't see for the love of anything that's holy why you would play a video game like Vice City in a phone.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By monetarydread

The controls on my iphone 5 are better than any console port I have ever played. That said, it is still a console port to the phone so you have to ask yourself if the portability of a cell phone version of Vice City is worth it. Other than controls it is the same game.@andriv said:

Extremely short draw distance, dont remember how it was on ps2

It is the same as PS2, only with a better FPS (I am using an iPhone 5 so that probably has something to do with it)

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Ah, fps might be an issue. I've found with the Steam version of San Andreas that running the game with an unlocked frame rate seems to mess the physics and animations up.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

So I ended up buying both. That was probably dumb.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It's pretty good. Runs very smoothly and the touch controls aren't totally shit. (Though I use my PS3 controller anyway)

krushr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By krushr

@Turtlebird95: Do you mind detailing how you got it working with your PS3 controller? Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Krushr said:

@Turtlebird95: Do you mind detailing how you got it working with your PS3 controller? Thanks!

What device are using? I'm using the Nexus 7 which I Jailbr... erm, Rooted and I downloaded the Sixaxis Controller app. It isn't free but it's totally worth it with the games that support it and emulators. Basically with that app and a file on your computer you pair your PS3 controller and it makes it so you can use it wirelessly. If you don't want to go through that you should be able to pick up an OTG cable and just plug your controller in via USB. 
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ben_H

It runs smoother than on PS2 or Xbox, and it actually controls decently well for a touchscreen game. I think it is a better GTA game for phones than GTA3 because it is much easier. Some of those GTA3 missions were near impossible with touch controls. I've been playing it quite a bit and it seems quite good.

krushr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By krushr

@Turtlebird95: Looking at using it with my Nexus 7. Thanks for that man, useful stuff to know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.