Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 27, 2002

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is the second 3D game in the series and sixth original title. It features more of the same sand-box action-adventure gameplay with a new 1980s setting, new characters, new weapons and much more.

Could this game even exist nowdays?

• 65 results
    spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@ssully said:

@mosespippy said:

@ssully said:

@korwin said:

This game was too good to be made today, now it would be focus tested to death and sliced up 30 ways before going on sale.

PRE-ORDER GTA VC TODAY AND GET ACCESS TO THE MANSION DLC DAY ONE EXCLUSIVELY FROM GAME STOP

I don't really understand why you think this. To my knowledge GTA V didn't have much of any DLC. I think there was some blimp stuff for ps3?

They haven't done straight DLC type DLC. They've done microtransaction DLC. Every 5 or 6 weeks there will be a new update to GTA Online that will include new weapons, clothes, vehicles, houses, etc. You can buy it all with your GTA Online bucks, but at close to a million bucks for a vehicle it'd take a lot of grinding. Many people buy the credit card packs, so that million dollar car will set you back roughly $18, and that's before you buy any mods for it.

That seems incredibly reasonable to me. The person I was quoting was relating GTA to the shitty DLC trends where the devs seem to cut out content of the base game and sell it later. I just think it's silly for people to keep using GTA as an example of poor DLC practices in this thread because Rockstar usually handles that stuff really well.

Sounds like diarrhea in an otherwise immaculate game to me. $18 for a single car? That's the opposite of reasonable. Rockstar is better than that. It's the most disgraceful thing that company has ever done. GTA V has horrible microtransactions that the entire online game was tailored around. Total bullshit. The icing on the cake is how hypocritical it makes them look when you compare it to the messages that they trumpet in the single player campaign.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@ssully said:

@mosespippy said:

@ssully said:

@korwin said:

This game was too good to be made today, now it would be focus tested to death and sliced up 30 ways before going on sale.

PRE-ORDER GTA VC TODAY AND GET ACCESS TO THE MANSION DLC DAY ONE EXCLUSIVELY FROM GAME STOP

I don't really understand why you think this. To my knowledge GTA V didn't have much of any DLC. I think there was some blimp stuff for ps3?

They haven't done straight DLC type DLC. They've done microtransaction DLC. Every 5 or 6 weeks there will be a new update to GTA Online that will include new weapons, clothes, vehicles, houses, etc. You can buy it all with your GTA Online bucks, but at close to a million bucks for a vehicle it'd take a lot of grinding. Many people buy the credit card packs, so that million dollar car will set you back roughly $18, and that's before you buy any mods for it.

That seems incredibly reasonable to me. The person I was quoting was relating GTA to the shitty DLC trends where the devs seem to cut out content of the base game and sell it later. I just think it's silly for people to keep using GTA as an example of poor DLC practices in this thread because Rockstar usually handles that stuff really well.

Sounds like diarrhea in an otherwise immaculate game to me. $18 for a single car? That's the opposite of reasonable. Rockstar is better than that. It's the most disgraceful thing that company has ever done. GTA V has horrible microtransactions that the entire online game was tailored around. Total bullshit. The icing on the cake is how hypocritical it makes them look when you compare it to the messages that they trumpet in the single player campaign.

I think you are blowing it out of proportion to be honest. For 60 dollars the single player alone is more then worth the money. The multiplayer is icing on the cake and you do not have to engage with the microtransactions. I am not a huge fan of the multiplayer but I did play it for a few hours and have my share of fun without even looking at how to buy shit with real money.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully: I think you're letting Rockstar get away with unnecessary bullshit that muddies the integrity of the series. I watched all the tweaks happen to make the microtransactions an appealing alternative and they absolutely made the online portion worse. I watched it happen. Payouts dropped and prices increased.

They made a billion dollars in a week on this game and they're still nickle and diming their audience. It's shameful game design.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ssully: I think you're letting Rockstar get away with unnecessary bullshit that muddies the integrity of the series. I watched all the tweaks happen to make the microtransactions an appealing alternative and they absolutely made the online portion worse. I watched it happen. Payouts dropped and prices increased.

They made a billion dollars in a week on this game and they're still nickle and diming their audience. It's shameful game design.

It's more I just don't really care for the game's multiplayer. I got more then I payed for from the single player alone, so personally I see no reason wrong with the microtransactions. Does the stuff you pay for actually affect the actual game? I thought people just free roam and mess around in the multiplayer? Does it really matter if someone paid money and has a better car then you? I am actually curious because I don't exactly get the draw of the multiplayer.

Avatar image for tigerface_killah
    Tigerface_Killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@nodima: I could not agree more with this. The biggest problem I had with 5 was that the dialogue amounted to nothing more than two characters swearing and yelling at each other; much unlike that of Vice City in which every conversation felt like something you wanted to pay attention to due to how well it flowed.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

I wish they would release an HD version of this on PS4. Man I loved this game.

I wish people would stop asking for these things.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

To this day it's still my favorite GTA. I prefer it over San Andreas even.

While I never played San Andreas, Vice City is still my favourite GTA game by a country mile.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@humanity said:

To this day it's still my favorite GTA. I prefer it over San Andreas even.

While I never played San Andreas, Vice City is still my favourite GTA game by a country mile.

I'm happy to see so many people also show their affection for Vice City. It was one of those games I played for hours on end as a younger teen, well past the point where the game had anything left to offer. Vice City was just so atmospheric and the soundtrack was so good that my favorite thing to do would be to drive around obeying traffic laws and listening to the radio - basically roleplaying a lawful citizen.

While San Andreas was fun I never felt the same sort of connection. Which is weird because I was born in the 80's so naturally didn't really get to experience them in any significant way, yet they appealed to me way more than the gang banger turf wars of the 90's based San Andreas.

My biggest disappointment by far was GTA 4. It was a game that finally got me to buy a console as I couldn't wait a whole year for Rockstar to port it to PC. Bought a brand new Xbox 360, my first new console since the PS1, and sat down ready to finally soak in the game after months of re-watching trailers and nail biting anticipation. Very quickly I found out that I essentially hated everything about it.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

In the sense that Vice City is almost a perfect game, no I don't think we'll see Rockstar making something like that again.

I could see them making a Vice City 2 though, but it would definitely be more serious in tone and less direct in it's homage of 80's pop culture. The Rockstar of today wants to tell their own stories, so things in the vein of the carbon copy of the Scarface end scene, would probably be against what they're trying to achieve today.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Everything is a product of its time and influenced by the standards of the day even if they aren't sticking to them. Would Star Wars be the same if made today? No. Would Scarface be the same if made today? No. Would Doom be the same if made today? No.

There's no reason it wouldn't exist, Rockstar have no reason not to capitalize on 80s as a setting. It just wouldn't be the same and that is obvious to anyone. It's not a quality issue.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By spraynardtatum

@ssully: I apologize for my bluntness but if you don't care about multiplayer than why on earth are you defending the microtransactions? You have no experience with them.

You pay for everything with GTA$ which will eventually buy you a tank so yes it absolutely does. Things are level capped so it isn't like anyone could get a tank but it's definitely easier if you have a bunch of money lying around the whole time. I'm level 30 and if I wanted to buy a plane I'd basically be spending every cent I have. Needing to start from scratch again. There are races that you can use custom cars in so that's also a point of contention if you can just buy the best cars.

Having more money makes you infinitely more powerful. Ammo transfers between all game modes and is expensive, guns are really really expensive, it fucks everything up.

Everything in the multiplayer. There isn't a single thing that wasn't touched to accommodate microtransactions.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@ssully:

Everything in the multiplayer. There isn't a single thing that wasn't touched to accommodate microtransactions.

When you look at how everything in GTAOnline costs GTA$ it's a bit egregious that HEISTS ARE STILL NOT IN THE GAME. The longer they hold off on putting in ways to make big gains, the more people end up buying the microtransactions.

And this is why all the guys in this thread saying Rockstar have the freedom to make whatever they want are 100% wrong. During every single Take Two earnings call the very first question from investors is when is the next GTA game coming out. The entire structure of GTAO was designed to keep those investors off their back a bit. Rockstar is still owned by a publicly traded company that needs to maximize their profit.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@shindig said:

@sterling said:

I wish they would release an HD version of this on PS4. Man I loved this game.

I wish people would stop asking for these things.

No new games ever is my motto. Just give me the old shit over again.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with it in the sense that a new generation always comes up new to it but... like, given how much a nostalgia tug Vice City is, what the hell does this offer the 18-24 year olds of today?

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I like replaying games, if I get a remastered version, great. I don't see why they shouldn't exist, they just shouldn't be 60 dollars.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.