GTA trilogy to receive same treatment as God of War?

#1 Posted by AuthenticM (3698 posts) -

If this is to be believed: 
http://psinsider.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=17&m_articles_articleid=1364
 
If it's true, they better implement the aiming system from San Andreas into its predecessors. That's the least they can do. There is no way I can cope with the now-defunct way of shooting dudes in the first two games. Or even better, remake all three games using GTA IV's controls. In any case, this is still awesome.

#2 Edited by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

oh god.. how awesome that would be if it actually happens.. 

#3 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Yeah the aiming in San Andreas was messed. LOL I AM RUNNIN BACKWARDS AND SHOOTIN IN DA AIR.

#4 Edited by mordukai (7133 posts) -

Considering the fan reaction to the God of War collection I would not doubt that you'll more companies do that. Expect to see more and more PS2 games getting the 're-work' treatment. 

#5 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I would love GTA: Vice City for the PS3. 

#6 Posted by Andorski (5190 posts) -

Ehh... no thanks.  The GTA series isn't a franchise that has games that age well.  The AI is crap, missions aren't paced well, of course the aiming is archaic compared to GTA IV.  I still consider San Andreas to be my favorite GTA experience to date, but I'm sure these problems would stick out more to me if I played the game again.
 
Unless they redo a lot of the game (which I doubt would be financially worth it), I would probably pass on it.

#7 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

holy shit, if it did, oh man.  I would hope that it would be out on the xbox 360 as well, with achievements.  I remember how much better the games looked on the PC, hope they look just as good on these consoles.
#8 Edited by AuthenticM (3698 posts) -
@Andorski said:

" Ehh... no thanks.  The GTA series isn't a franchise that has games that age well.  The AI is crap, missions aren't paced well, of course the aiming is archaic compared to GTA IV.  I still consider San Andreas to be my favorite GTA experience to date, but I'm sure these problems would stick out more to me if I played the game again.  Unless they redo a lot of the game (which I doubt would be financially worth it), I would probably pass on it. "

I may only be speaking for myself here, but the controls are the only thing that stop me from rediving into the GTA trilogy. There were maybe too many mini-games as missions in SA, but I can get over that. Truly, they input GTA IV's controls in these games and Santa is going to shit gold from now on. That's the only thing I'm really begging for.
#9 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

That would be awesome if they fixed them up a little and gave it a few touches.

#10 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -
@AuthenticM: Your avatar turns me on <_< >_>
 
 
:P
#11 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

That site reminds me a lot of Sony Defence Force, I think it's safe to say that this is a scam.

#12 Edited by AuthenticM (3698 posts) -
@clubsandwich said:

" That site reminds me a lot of Sony Defence Force, I think it's safe to say that this is a scam. "

Maybe, but it could very well be true. From the minute we learned that GoW was getting an enhanced port for the PS3, everybody on the net was talking about how cool and awesome it would be if so or said game was ported/remade as well. Considering how well the GTA games have sold, it's not unrealistic to hope they get the same treatment. If you ask me, it probably will.
#13 Posted by Smarter_Martyr (591 posts) -

All of the Ps2 Shin Megami Tensei games on one Blu-ray. I can dream, right?

#14 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I'm not going to buy it on psn, now it looks like I would have to buy it on the pc. I know there is a gta trilogy and I would get higher resolution at least. Then again I own the games on the ps2, maybe I should play it there. 
 
I'm only complaining because my ps3 ylod and I had a best buy waranty and exchanged it for a new 80 gig ps3 with no backwards compatibility. I think them taking out backwards compatibility to make more money is really a bad decision.

#15 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

Vice  City with better aiming and updated graphics, plus trophies. I'd buy it
#16 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

Dual wielding shotguns was pretty fun in San Andreas.

#17 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" Considering the fan reaction to the God of War collection I would not doubt that you'll more companies do that. Expect to see more and more PS2 games getting the 're-work' treatment.  "
yeah dev's working on big titles are seeing the genius behind what the GOWIII guys are doing. Why not make use of a very cheap, and fast way of making a lot of dough while you are doing hard work on your next big title?
#18 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -

Well with God of War 3, you need to know what happened in the first 2.
 
You don't really need that with GTA, cool idea though.

#19 Edited by Yummylee (21250 posts) -

a HD Vice City??? ''theres no emoticon to how I'm feeling''
#20 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

They should do one for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

#21 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

please let this be true.

#22 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

dude, Sony has been doing some seriously awesome stuff lately and its only going to get better.

#23 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" Yeah the aiming in San Andreas was messed. LOL I AM RUNNIN BACKWARDS AND SHOOTIN IN DA AIR. "
Actually, I think San Andreas handled it nicely. Definitely an improvement over the lack of aiming ability you had in Vice City. If you're aiming to shoot at something and have your back turned to it, I think it's alright to instead fire in the air like that. It's a pretty G move, anyway. Sure, maybe CJ should have just turned around, but like the Grove Street OG he is, he just shoots into the air and attracts the attention of all rival gang members before he caps those Balla and Vagos fools. YA HEARD? Grove Street 4 Life!
#24 Edited by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -
@fillmoejoe said:

" They should do one for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. "

Actually, there is a possibility of that happening.  Fumito Ueda of Team ICO has stated that he is interested in having such a collection and is meeting with Sony this week to discuss the possibilities. 
SOURCE
"I do have an interest in that," Ueda said during our [Kotaku] Friday chat. "Next week, I'll have a meeting [about the possibility] ... But it might not be so easy, because, with both titles we really stretched the limits of the PS2. It's complex. So it's not such an easy transfer to the PS3. But I want to discuss it."
#25 Posted by CitizenKane (10502 posts) -

That would be awesome.  I hope they do it.

#26 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" @fillmoejoe said:

" They should do one for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. "

Actually, there is a possibility of that happening.  Fumito Ueda of Team ICO has stated that he is interested in having such a collection and is meeting with Sony this week to discuss the possibilities. 
SOURCE
"I do have an interest in that," Ueda said during our [Kotaku] Friday chat. "Next week, I'll have a meeting [about the possibility] ... But it might not be so easy, because, with both titles we really stretched the limits of the PS2. It's complex. So it's not such an easy transfer to the PS3. But I want to discuss it." "
Yeah I heard the rumors, I hope it'll happen.
#27 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4909 posts) -
@fillmoejoe said:
" They should do one for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. "
Yeah i hope that happens, never played either. So that would be sweet.
#28 Posted by Creamypies (4051 posts) -

If any series deserves it... it's this one.

#29 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I don't see this happening.

#30 Posted by Kazona (3059 posts) -

I'd rather they put their time and money into developing a new game instead of rehashing ones that have been played to death already. But it's probably easy money for them because a lot of people will be stupid enough to re-buy a game they own, and played, already.

#31 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@Kazona said:
" I'd rather they put their time and money into developing a new game instead of rehashing ones that have been played to death already. But it's probably easy money for them because a lot of people will be stupid enough to re-buy a game they own, and played, already. "
It wouldn't exactly take a lot of time for a small development team to do these little enhancements. 

But I already own all three games on the Xbox and they run fine on the 360, which were already upgraded from the original PS2 versions.  Even looking slightly better, as others have said the series hasn't aged particularly well, I don't think I'd really want to go back and play them.
#32 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Hopefully this rumor turns out to be true. That would be good news indeed.

#33 Posted by PlasticCow (114 posts) -

@fillmoejoe said:

"They should do one for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. "

I completely agree. SotC was an amazing game, and this would only make it better.

#34 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@PlasticCow said:
"

@fillmoejoe said:

"They should do one for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. "

I completely agree. SotC was an amazing game, and this would only make it better.

"
Actually, it's rumoured they ARE doing them.
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/09/29/sony-meeting-will-discuss-ico-collection/
 
In my opinion, this would be a lot better than another re-release of the GTA games.
#35 Edited by jNerd (2011 posts) -

This is a stupid idea, GTAIV is really the only GTA game worth playing.  
I don't want sloppy uprez'd ports of those sandbox toys. 
EDIT: Besides the fact that I doubt Playstation Insider is a reliable news source.
#36 Posted by PlasticCow (114 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @PlasticCow said:
"

@fillmoejoe said:

"They should do one for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. "

I completely agree. SotC was an amazing game, and this would only make it better.

"
Actually, it's rumoured they ARE doing them. http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/09/29/sony-meeting-will-discuss-ico-collection/  In my opinion, this would be a lot better than another re-release of the GTA games. "

Damn. I'd be all over that. The early GTA's were ok..but I'd much rather have that.
#37 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

This popped into my mind the moment I read about the GOW ports. I just hope they give GTAIII and VC the same analog camera while driving controls they gave SA on Xbox (which carried over to GTA4 on both consoles -- not talking about driveby shooting).
 
Besides surely those games could run at 1080p on modern consoels.

#38 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

I really hope they don't waste Dev time on this.

#39 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -

I'd love to have last generation games with achievements/trophies!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.