Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto

Franchise »

Grand Theft Auto is a sandbox-violence game, that has drawn attention all over the world, and has pretty much become one of the most noticeable criminal-sandbox franchises ever.

I think it's time for a Female lead

• 139 results
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I really need to personally ban myself from looking or posting in these topics because I just don't wanna fuel the fire or facepalm whenever something dumb is said.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By Darji

@lively said:

@darji said:

@lively: So you want a women that is basically a men in terms of behavior , speech, clothing and anything else? Ok i guess. Also what did these people talk about I could not understand one bit^^

Well that is one option, (and if you've seen the show you'll know that there's a little more to the character than that). It's kind of the polar opposite of the femme fatale sex-pot criminals seen in Bond films, or Jerry Springer-type basket case criminals. There's room for all of them, or even something in the middle. It all comes down to the writing and execution. I have faith that the Rockstar writers could pull it off if they tried.

Not knowing the show or character. I assume she has gender issues and wants to be a man in reality because she does not feel like a woman nor does it help in her style of life. If that is the case that is the last thing people want in their GTA game. It is way to heavy for a GTA game. GTA will always be satirical of the american way it has no place for such characters in my opinion. I would rather chose the one woman from Saints row (forgot the name)

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato said:

And yes I do believe people are trying to force the issue because that's all they've been doing since the 3 protagonists have been announced. Hey, I'm all for a female character as long as they aren't doing it solely as a response to the critics.

Well maybe a "glass half full" way to look at this is that people are telling the developers "I want to play a female lead in a GTA game, and will probably give you money if you do".

If Rockstar ended up doing that, maybe they wouldn't be bowing to social pressure so much as meeting an existing demand, right? It doesn't sound so bad when you think of it that way.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think it's time for that containment board to be made

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

One of the best female characters in any work of fiction I've seen is Hermione from Harry Potter. She was emotional, a tad sensitive, pushy and a know-it-all. She is a very girly character. However not one time reading the book did I ever think she was weak or incapable of dealing with all the stuff around her. Western Video games have not had a character like her. FemShep is not a good female character because she is just a palette swap for the male version. Neither are the Saints Row female versions. If GTA were to make a female protagonist it shouldn't just me a re-skinned male doing all that crazy stuff. Maybe Rockstar knows this better than anyone and they don't feel comfortable making a female that they won't do any justice to.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#107  Edited By musubi

@darji said:

@demoskinos said:

@darji said:

@milkman: Hotline Miami 2 was already victim of forced censorship because of these people. So yes that is exactly what these people want. The last of Us was also criticized by these people because you did not play as Ellie for the whole game. GTA was just another example of games these people want a female lead. They want to force it.

Whoa whoa whoa. Hotline Miami 2 was not the victim of anything. The developers didn't say anything about taking the offending "scene" out but rather that they were going to examine how it fit into the larger picture and if they could provide better context to why it was there in the first place. Quit making things up.

he said that he thought it was a cool idea and they removed the scene to "fix" it because of these claims It did not need any fixing nor is Hotline miami a game for a broder audience anyway.

Again, you're making stuff up. They pulled the scene from the press DEMO because again they were reacting to the fact that that scene made no sense without proper context and are reviewing if they should in fact remove it entirely or simply add more context for the scene prior to it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/05/hotline-miami-2-sexual-assault-scene-under-revision/

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/5/4697352/hotline-miami-2-sexual-assault-scene-may-be-cut

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lively said:

@minipato said:

And yes I do believe people are trying to force the issue because that's all they've been doing since the 3 protagonists have been announced. Hey, I'm all for a female character as long as they aren't doing it solely as a response to the critics.

Well maybe a "glass half full" way to look at this is that people are telling the developers "I want to play a female lead in a GTA game, and will probably give you money if you do".

If Rockstar ended up doing that, maybe they wouldn't be bowing to social pressure so much as meeting an existing demand, right? It doesn't sound so bad when you think of it that way.

That's a better way of looking at it and I'd prefer it. But after things like Sony's PS4 reveal being knocked for not having any females on the stage, I can't help read all these things as people being angry and looking to shame whoever they're criticizing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

A female lead in GTA could work, if she's written properly. Making her something akin to a female Tommy Vercetti wouldn't work, but making her a believably ruthless adult woman willing to get her hands dirty is perfectly doable, so long as the writers are up to the task. But I don't think that such a protagonist should be insisted upon. The creators should be free to create the sorts of characters they prefer to work with from game to game.

Avatar image for deactivated-650f737f2e2d5
    deactivated-650f737f2e2d5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having never played the DLC for GTA4, I think I remember the stories taking place in the same area, but with different protagonists. So how about Rockstar compromises here? Put out a DLC campaign like the Ballad of Gay Tony or The Lost and Damned with a female protagonist? The people get their wish, Rockstar gets experience writing a female character without taking the risk of basing a whole game around it, everybody wins. And if people are really uncomfortable with the idea of a woman beating the shit out of people, you could change up the mechanics a little bit and make her a con-artist or something.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having never played the DLC for GTA4, I think I remember the stories taking place in the same area, but with different protagonists. So how about Rockstar compromises here? Put out a DLC campaign like the Ballad of Gay Tony or The Lost and Damned with a female protagonist? The people get their wish, Rockstar gets experience writing a female character without taking the risk of basing a whole game around it, everybody wins. And if people are really uncomfortable with the idea of a woman beating the shit out of people, you could change up the mechanics a little bit and make her a con-artist or something.

That's not really compromise. That's still asking for a female protagonist where one wouldn't necessarily fit. With the limited number of female characters in GTAV with any substance, you're basically asking them to create a new one from scratch, when the GTAIV DLC relied on characters that were already established.

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjin977 said:

@pr1mus said:
    @jimmyfenix said:

I really want to see Bully 2.0 - Mean Girls.

2013 Lindsay Lohan playing herself would be an amazing character.

If she doesn't get too coked up or hung over to do it, sure.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Engh. I don't think a female lead in GTA would succeed in any meaningful way. Aside from being completely irrelevant, like in Saint's Row, the changes they would need to make wouldn't be conducive to the gameplay that makes GTA, GTA.

I think the majority of people who want a female lead, want one for the sexualized novelty of it. The dumb (if I have to look at characters butt for 50 hours why wouldn't it be one I like to look at) or whatever.

But if we're putting that aside, I think, then, what in the game would change? GTA is basically about testosterone run amok. So there COULD be a female lead, but would she be what you're thinking of when you think of "female lead"? Because I'm sure most people think about a svelte, sexy young woman as the "female lead" they want, and not, say, a 40 year old, heavy set black woman. (I'm black.)

I mean, how many people would have bought GTA 5 if the roles were just gender reversed? A team of 3 women. One is an overweight white lady in her mid-forties, one is a young African american woman who talks like she was raised in the ghetto, and one is a crazy, ugly, dirty, drug addled white lady in her mid forties from the trailer park who looks like she is physically falling apart.

I feel like that game would sell 12 copies.

Does it have to be all or nothing, I don't see why it would be impossible to have one of the characters be women, yes even a less than pretty one, though I guess it is hard to expect more from the gaming industry, than what we get from Hollywood.

In any case women play GTA too, somehow they make do. Why wouldn't men be able to too, are we really all that superficial.

Of course in the end it is up to Rockstar to show us that they are talented enough to create great female characters too.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@demoskinos said:

@darji said:

@milkman: Hotline Miami 2 was already victim of forced censorship because of these people. So yes that is exactly what these people want. The last of Us was also criticized by these people because you did not play as Ellie for the whole game. GTA was just another example of games these people want a female lead. They want to force it.

Whoa whoa whoa. Hotline Miami 2 was not the victim of anything. The developers didn't say anything about taking the offending "scene" out but rather that they were going to examine how it fit into the larger picture and if they could provide better context to why it was there in the first place. Quit making things up.

he said that he thought it was a cool idea and they removed the scene to "fix" it because of these claims It did not need any fixing nor is Hotline miami a game for a broder audience anyway.

Again, you're making stuff up. They pulled the scene from the press DEMO because again they were reacting to the fact that that scene made no sense without proper context and are reviewing if they should in fact remove it entirely or simply add more context for the scene prior to it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/05/hotline-miami-2-sexual-assault-scene-under-revision/

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/5/4697352/hotline-miami-2-sexual-assault-scene-may-be-cut

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/05/hotline-miami-devs-reconsidering-sexual-assault-scene/

They are saying that the y thought it was cool but because of people acting all upset about it they consider to change it. I call something like that censorship. It would have never happened in movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-650f737f2e2d5
    deactivated-650f737f2e2d5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@silentpredator said:

That's not really compromise. That's still asking for a female protagonist where one wouldn't necessarily fit. With the limited number of female characters in GTAV with any substance, you're basically asking them to create a new one from scratch, when the GTAIV DLC relied on characters that were already established.

It gets the critics off their backs and gives a chance to challenge themselves on a small scale. Yeah, it wouldn't be easy, but how can you improve if you never challenge yourself? I'm just saying they have an opportunity here.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should go back to the dude from 3, Morgan Gordon Freeman.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

If Rockstar wants to do it in the next GTA, then sure.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do people complain that Martin Scorsese films star mostly men?

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

Scorcese made Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Rockstar made a table tennis game. One of these things will buy you a lot of credibility on the gender front, and one will not.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: It's a bad comparison(no offense). I can't see how the gender of the character is integral to the experience of playing a GTA game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@silentpredator said:

It gets the critics off their backs and gives a chance to challenge themselves on a small scale. Yeah, it wouldn't be easy, but how can you improve if you never challenge yourself? I'm just saying they have an opportunity here.

It's not about getting the critics off their backs. It's about them being able to make games with the characters they want. Creating a female protagonist just to satisfy critics is not the way to go about things.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#122  Edited By geirr

I'd be interested in the series again if they added, or made being female an alternative. I've never liked any of their male characters though I haven't played 5 yet. But from what I've seen it's just 3 stereotypes that I can't pretend to care about.

Praise to Saint's Row here I guess since you can be male, female or anything in between!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

@kishinfoulux said:

No it's not time. Tired of this forced shit. Let them making the character whomever they want. They have no obligation to do so.

@minipato said:

Why not make her hispanic, asian, black, middle eastern, gay and mentally challenged while we're at it? Get all the progressive bullshit out of the way. I am 100% against having a woman protagonist if they are just doing it to fill some quota. If they're going to do it, they need to be genuine about it. I'm so sick of people condemning media for not supporting their agenda. If Rockstar chooses not to have a female protagonist in the next GTA game, does that make them sexist? If the next Doctor Who or James Bond is not black, does that make them racist? People need to stop calling for this shit just for the sake of having change. The last thing I want games to become is some fake, shitty stock photo about diversity in the workplace.

I am all for equal representation in all forms of media, but I really fucking hate it when people guilt trip others into supporting them under threat of being called sexist or racist.

@random45 said:

It's topics like this that make people dislike feminist.

Let them do whatever the hell they want - I know I would absolutely HATE being pressured to create a character I don't feel comfortable with simply because there's a increasingly big movement for more prominent female roles in video games. At this rate, people will call ANY game that doesn't star a prominent female lead as sexist.

Do people actually believe that anyone is trying to "force" Rockstar to write a female protagonists? Or that they want them to just shove a woman into the story for the sake of having a woman?

No one is demanding anything. People have the right to wish things were a certain way and Rockstar has the right to not listen to these people. AND these people have the right to criticize Rockstar for not listening.

The whole issue boils down to people wanting better written stories in games. Getting away from the typical male perspective that we always see is one way in which people want games to grow from a narrative perspective. That doesn't mean that EVERY game needs to get away from the typical video game storytelling but just that there should be more. Rockstar, being one of the premiere story tellers in games, is obviously going to be looked at for pioneering some sort of change. If they don't want to? Okay!

But stop acting like Rockstar's precious creative freedom is being snatched away and thinking you need to defend them like they're some oppressed artists. You sound like a bunch of white knights.

Uh yeah I'd say so actually. And having a woman doesn't equal a better written story.

Oh and the White Knight...it's not us. It's you.

@milkman said:

@darji: Dennaton only pulled the rape scene from the press demo and said that the scene is "under revision." You and I don't know what that means so I'm not going assume anything. It could be there exactly as is for all we know.

If people want to criticize The Last of Us, that's their right. That's not censorship. Also, if I don't personally agree with them, their criticisms were a bit more nuanced than "you don't play as Ellie for the whole game."

Shouldn't have been pulled to begin with. They have a vision and they shouldn't buckle under media nonsense.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@sargegulp: The Scorcese comparison was a bad one to begin with, I was only taking it to its logical and most preposterous conclusion.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@barrock said:

Scorcese made Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Rockstar made a table tennis game. One of these things will buy you a lot of credibility on the gender front, and one will not.

But Oni.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about you let them do what they wanna do and worry about more important things :)

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rockstar should just make a new Red Dead that takes place in a post apocalyptic setting (the new frontier if you will) and just have a female lead for that.

Boom.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#128  Edited By Yummylee

I haven't read this thread at all because I don't completely hate myself, but after reading the thread title, the following thought occurred to me: I've been literally chased by thousands of cops over the course of the entire GTA series. And in all those thousands of police chases and shootouts, not once did I ever go "Oh hey, that one cop is a lady." I think that says a lot about Rockstar's worldview right there. Women patrolmen simply do not exist in this world.

There are female cops in GTA V. They're not nearly as prominent as the guys, but they do exist.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think a female lead would be really cool, too.

I'm not going to pretend I'm in a position to demand that Rockstar does anything they don't want to do.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: Not even Tommy Vercetti? (who was voiced by Ray Liotta)

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But then it would portray a female in bad light as a criminal. Someone please think of the children

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've said this before:

I think the best way of doing GTA(or a rockstar open world game) with a female protagonist is with two co leads(male/female)as undercover cops or spies. Actually, I think the world of espionage is WAY easier to implement a female protagonist than straight up crime.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@hailinel said:

@silentpredator said:

Now I haven't completed the game yet so... I don't know the whole story about the character, but even still we have this tough-as-nails FIB lady (who apparently may be Karen from GTAIV) that I think could be a good fit for a DLC story. In fact this could especially be a decent opportunity for Rockstar to attempt to set the game around you playing as a law enforcer -- the kind that's potentially willing to penetrate a guy's ass with a torch, though, of course. You could justify the fact that you can still go around causing wanton murder and getting away with it because she's a high-ranking FIB agent and all that; or they could even go the L.A. Noire route of forcing your weapons to be holstered in free-roam or something. I dunno, it's just an idea, and she definitely stood out to me when I first saw the cutscene.

Also, spoilers and all that.

Loading Video...

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Maybe that would make GTA interesting again, because 5 isn't really doing it for me. I'll probably finish it still, but it's not blowing me away aside from the technical feats.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

This is the problem with blaming an individual situation (GTA V's 3 male protagonists) for a systemic issue (lack of female lead protagonists in video games).

GTA V didn't create this problem and shouldn't arbitrarily be blamed for it. One very visible game is not going to fix this, although I'm sure it would help.

I do find the responses that a woman somehow couldn't be the lead of GTA V for believability reasons to be pretty laughable though.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atary77: One of the Hausers did mention in an article that they have thought of having a female lead for a looooong time now but they just need a great story before attempting to pull it off and I think that's fair. I'd rather they did have a great story and not just have a certain protagonist (regardless of gender) tacked on just for the sake of it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

Rockstar made Red Dead with one of the best female characters in this industry. They know how to write great female characters.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a lot of potential in a female lead in GTA game. Potential for greatness, and potential for utter disaster. If she ever comes about - the GTA series being the seminal series that it is - she is going to be the most scrutinized video game character ever created. That's a lot of pressure to put on your writers.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@lively said:

@darji said:

@lively: So you want a women that is basically a men in terms of behavior , speech, clothing and anything else? Ok i guess. Also what did these people talk about I could not understand one bit^^

Well that is one option, (and if you've seen the show you'll know that there's a little more to the character than that). It's kind of the polar opposite of the femme fatale sex-pot criminals seen in Bond films, or Jerry Springer-type basket case criminals. There's room for all of them, or even something in the middle. It all comes down to the writing and execution. I have faith that the Rockstar writers could pull it off if they tried.

The opening scene of GTA III sees the player character shot in the chest by a woman, and that game came out a lifetime ago as far as video games are concerned. And as others have said, Bonnie MacFarlane was a fantastically written character. I think it would be easy for Rockstar to write a female protagonist, and I'm sure it will happen when and if they want to.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#140  Edited By KowalskiManDown

You can be the female lead in your GTA online game.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a lot of potential in a female lead in GTA game. Potential for greatness, and potential for utter disaster. If she ever comes about - the GTA series being the seminal series that it is - she is going to be the most scrutinized video game character ever created. That's a lot of pressure to put on your writers.

Which, ironically, could end up being the actual reason why we might never see a female lead in a GTA game. It's a sad side-effect of making a huge deal out of gender in the first place, and continuously putting female characters under a microscope.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal said:

Which, ironically, could end up being the actual reason why we might never see a female lead in a GTA game. It's a sad side-effect of making a huge deal out of gender in the first place, and continuously putting female characters under a microscope.

yeah it is already like that. Every female character in video games right now is getting analyzed to death and if there is only one thing wrong with it people will call foul. Also I am pretty sure the same people like the gamespot one or other who are now calling GTAV misogynistic and sexist will also call out a GTA with a female lead for whatever reason. They people are just here to push their agenda´.

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flindip said:

I've said this before:

I think the best way of doing GTA(or a rockstar open world game) with a female protagonist is with two co leads(male/female)as undercover cops or spies. Actually, I think the world of espionage is WAY easier to implement a female protagonist than straight up crime.

Hey, that's not a bad idea. Then the protagonists will have to work their way up in the gang ranks to prove themselves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.