Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto

Franchise »

Grand Theft Auto is a sandbox-violence game, that has drawn attention all over the world, and has pretty much become one of the most noticeable criminal-sandbox franchises ever.

Which previous GTA location / era do you most want to revisit?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Which previous GTA location / era do you most want to revisit? (71 votes)

1969 London - Original GTA expansion pack 32%
    1986 Vice City (Miami) 46%
    1992 San Andreas (California) 11%
    1997 Liberty City, Vice City, San Fierro - The original GTA 0%
    2001 Liberty City (New York) - GTA III 3%
    Present day Liberty City (New York) - close enough to GTA IV 3%
    Present day San Andreas (California) - close enough to GTA V 4%

If you could play a brand new current gen / PC only Grand Theft Auto game based on the location and point in time of a previous GTA game, which would it be and why?

And does anyone else feel really old when you think about the fact that the 2001 setting of GTA III and the 1997 setting of the original GTA can now be considered retro, despite the fact that they both originally featured "present day" settings?

• 
    Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nodima

I think that it would be really interesting - and refreshing - to see the Rockstar North guys return close to home and do London (though I'd be perfectly excited by a setting more like The Getaway than London 1969 too) or Scotland, but I get the feeling they stay in America because they feel like American protagonists are important for sales (and other than the Jaguar replica, I don't remember much about 1969 that myself or others enjoyed as much as GTA 2).

Also, if you want to see something that seems totally absurd, check out the reviews page for GTA 2 on Gamespot. Jeff wrote three reviews for PC, Playstation and Dreamcast, and each of them have slightly (emphasis on slightly) different copy and totally different capsules.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Vuud

I would like to see a 60's biker gang setting that's way over the top and cartoony, like Ride to Hell was supposed to be before it fell into development hell and emerged as the steaming pile we know and love.

For people who vote London, I'd like to see it too but I don't think GTA will ever go back to a real world setting. But maybe they can do a fake working class UK city like... wherever Andy Capp lives.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Bollard

Vice City, duh. Still angry the last GTA wasn't GTA V: Ice City, a game where you steal diamonds in Miami.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bollard: With a soundtrack by Vanilla Ice. I agree with you though, Vice City is the only setting I had any fondness for in the entire series.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: With a soundtrack by Vanilla Ice. I agree with you though, Vice City is the only setting I had any fondness for in the entire series.

Really? You could have gone with Ice T, Ice Cube, Icehouse, Icicle Works...

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see the rest of San Andreas, but Vice City would also be pretty cool.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EXTomar

I want them to do something new where I almost wonder if Rockstar could take a shot at "genre piece" settings and such. Could they make a "near future/omg nanomachines" game? Beyond that, why not go do something "GTA Hong Kong"?

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd love to see them do Chicago with as much intricate detail as they did San Andreas in GTA V. But as far as revisiting, I'd love to see them do a new Vice City.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'd rather see somewhere new altogether, but if they have to go back Vice City or London would be the 2 that would interest me.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I want to see somewhere new, perhaps their version of the northwest or Boston. Might be kinda neat to see something set in a fictitious New Orleans or somewhere like Georgia or Kentucky. Ohhhhh shit. GTA: Justified sounds amazing.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Carcer City!..

Which is their Detroit I believe, though I suppose it would probably seem too familiar to Liberty City. That is unless they keep the psychopath-ridden 'The Warriors' sorta vibe to it, with all sorts of insane murderous gangs roaming about. Besides that, though, I think I'd want them to try somewhere new. Actually, what I really want is a new RDR game set in 1960s Texas following an ageing Sheriff -- Red Dead Retirement!

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA:WasteLand(working title) A Fallout like world rebuilt after World War IV or an alien invasion, mix of classic standard and futuristic weapons, with horses, bikes motor & petaled, madmax style cars & trucks, gas mechanics, alien/mutant hookers.... now that's game of the year for a decade easily.....

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Fuck this poll. I want to revisit Anywhere City, USA in three weeks from now from GTA2. That was the shit.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bully II

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

GTA2.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I'd love for a return to the 1980's and Vice City.

That still is my favorite Grand Theft Auto.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck this poll. I want to revisit Anywhere City, USA in three weeks from now from GTA2. That was the shit.

@theht said:

GTA2.

GTA 2 wasn't included in this poll, because apparently it never specified a year. That, and it's a little too close to the original GTA in theme and probable timeline.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wild West.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy said:

@theht said:

GTA2.

GTA 2 wasn't included in this poll, because apparently it never specified a year. That, and it's a little too close to the original GTA in theme and probable timeline.

It had a sort of dystopian sci-fi thing going on rather than the more grounded in reality settings of the other games, all taking place supposedly "three weeks for now", or possibly 2013/1999. Either way it was "the near future".

Such a weird fuckin game.

http://oi29.tinypic.com/w6w70h.jpg

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

V-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-Vice City!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

@mosespippy said:

@theht said:

GTA2.

It had a sort of dystopian sci-fi thing going on rather than the more grounded in reality settings of the other games, all taking place supposedly "three weeks for now", or possibly 2013/1999. Either way it was "the near future".

Such a weird fuckin game.

Why possibly 2013 or 1999 without anyone knowing for sure?

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I would like to think the Rockstar guys could maybe come up with a new place. I dunno, Vice City was amazing at the time but looking back at it, it was a boring city. That game was incredible for the atmosphere created, especially through the use of all that licensed music, but the city itself was just really flat and unremarkable. Even Liberty City had more contours and shit, as well as an awful lot of high rise buildings.

I'll buy the next game because sure, I love GTA games. But somewhere new, maybe somewhere based on Detroit and its urban decay, or yes, somewhere outside the United States like London would be nice.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: The manual and website say "three weeks from now" but there are logs on the website from or around the time of the game dated 2013, but in the game one of the characters makes reference to the new millenium coming.

aidros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By aidros

I loved Vice City. I only had an Xbox growing up, and when that re-release of GTA III/Vice City came to Xbox I was ecstatic. Now, every time I watch a movie/tv show about Miami (or rarely, visit) I absolutely get the urge to play Vice City. If the neon and art-deco playground of 1986 could be adapted to a next-gen console, I'd be too pumped.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.