Is it really greener on the other side?

#1 Posted by HavocHQ (35 posts) -

When I look at grass now in games, it seems we haven't made much progress.  Sure, games like Call of Duty 4 have made tall grass surprisingly realistic, especially when it comes to people in ghillie suits hiding in them, but up close the illusion always fades.

Does anyone think we'll see realistic grass some day?

#2 Edited by funkmasterflare (69 posts) -

lol... Kind of a random topic, no? Well yeah, grass definitely doesn't see great improvement. I'm no programmer, but it probably has to do with grass taking up too much memory or something technical like that. In order for grass to look realistic there has to be a lot of it, and all that potential grass could probably be used to make character models look prettier or something. But I agree, grass has not been done justice.

#3 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

It's hard to do - it can't be extremely detailed, because there's too much of it.

#4 Posted by legend_cloud (359 posts) -

I really don get it when people say these kinds of things >.>

#5 Posted by HavocHQ (35 posts) -
legend_cloud said:
"I really don get it when people say these kinds of things >.>
"
Well, I admit I'm being a bit facetious here - after all, this is the grass forum.  I'm grasping at straws to start a meaningful on-topic discussion. ;)
#6 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -
#7 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

I think games like Crysis and such are doing good things with foliage. You know how some of the plants and stuff sort of swish away from you? Well doing a similar thing for ALL that grass, MADNESS

#8 Posted by HavocHQ (35 posts) -
damswedon said:
"i say look at flower"
You're right, that does look pretty awesome.
#9 Posted by TechHits (1367 posts) -

I am so happy this thread was made.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.