Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grass

Object » linked to 399 games

It's green and grows in the ground. This page is for games that use grass in some notable way, not for all video games that merely have grass in them.

Wiki Task - Too Many Associations

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

Alright dudes and ladies, this Grass page has gone down from 612 games to 56 in the span of one year and seven months. Jeff has posted a Wiki Task in which he has called upon us to remove the games that do not need to be associated with this page. The Wiki Task states,  "Page should only be associated to pages/games that use grass in a special and primary way, not just any game that contains grass." 

In another thread in this forum, Jeff said, " When it comes to pages for extremely common topics like this one, we want extraordinary uses of the object. For grass, that could mean grass plays a major part in the story line, or has a gameplay element to it, or is noteworthy from a technological standpoint. So something like Tony Hawk 2X, with its individual blades of grass, which was fairly unique in its day, should qualify." 

So let's figure this out! Which games from the list do you think should stay for sure? Which ones are you iffy about or straight-up know shouldn't be there? Please explain why!

We will worry about the adding of certain games later.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Coombs

Suikoden?
    I don't remember anything special about the grass in that one

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By frankxiv

stay for sure: mgs3, flower
    not so much: everquest(s), lost kingdoms 2

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By ez123

Admittedly, I haven't played it in a while but what does JSRF have to do with grass?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By rjayb89

Grass in golf games I'd think play a significant role.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ignor

Most of the Zelda and Pokémon games should definitely stay.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

The Wiki mentions Call of Duty, but doesn't list it in the actual games list...it definitely does play a significant role in CoD4, especially in that level where you must hide in grass and wait for the enemies to pass. Other games which use grass for concealment should be kept/added too. Games where grass is just another kind of terrain that you walk on should be excluded though.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By rjayb89

Would you remove football games?  I mean, you're just running all over the grass.  And maybe that Frogger game, too.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

I just issued a similar task for Shoes.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Pikmin the grass is nothing special.  Same with the Roller Coaster Tycoon games, I mean theres grass in them, but it's just a type of terrain you can lay down.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Coombs
    @PeasantAbuse: 
    For roller coaster tycoon grass should be under object not concept,
    As it is a usable item.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

Erm...what about Scribblenauts, grass isn't significant in that game, it's just another thing you can summon. In fact, how does Scribblenauts work in the context of GB, does it have associations with pretty much every page?

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is just my opinion on everything so far: 

@Coombs said:

" Suikoden? I don't remember anything special about the grass in that one "
    If no one can remember any special use of grass in Suikoden, it should be removed. 

@onimonkii
    said:
    " stay for sure: mgs3, flower not so much: everquest(s), lost kingdoms 2 "
    MGS3 and flower stay for sure. I don't know the significance of grass in the Everquest games or Lost Kingdoms 2, and if no one can think of any they should be removed. 

@ez123 said:
    " Admittedly, I haven't played it in a while but what does JSRF have to do with grass? "
    Not sure. Can anyone think of any reason why JSRF should be there? Haven't played it myself. Does skating on grass have some sort of impact? 

@rjayb89 said:
    " Grass in golf games I'd think play a significant role. "
    Agreed. 

@Ignor said:
    " Most of the Zelda and Pokémon games should definitely stay. "
    Agreed. 

@rjayb89 said:
    " Would you remove football games?  I mean, you're just running all over the grass.  And maybe that Frogger game, too. "
    I am not sure on this one. I don't really play sports games. Is the role of grass in football games as important as it is in golf games? I don't know about Frogger. 

@PeasantAbuse said:
    " Pikmin the grass is nothing special.  Same with the Roller Coaster Tycoon games, I mean theres grass in them, but it's just a type of terrain you can lay down. "
    I am thinking the Roller Coast Tycoon games should stay then, since it is something you create yourself that has an impact on the world. I haven't played Pikmin, but grass always seemed kind of important. I am unsure! 

@BeachThunder said:
    " Erm...what about Scribblenauts, grass isn't significant in that game, it's just another thing you can summon. In fact, how does Scribblenauts work in the context of GB, does it have associations with pretty much every page? "
    Scribblenauts should stay since it is something you specifically summon. And yeah, it is attached to every page that has anything to do with the game.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Andorski
    @rjayb89 said:
    " Would you remove football games?  I mean, you're just running all over the grass.  And maybe that Frogger game, too. "
    Grass doesn't affect the gameplay in any meaningful way.  I feel that "affecting the gameplay" should be the standard in determining what stays and goes with these pages.  For example, golf games should stay in the grass page as it plays a role in how the game is played (e.g. difference between getting your ball on the green vs. getting it into the rough).
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#15  Edited By LordAndrew
    @BeachThunder: Yeah, any item that can be summoned in Scribblenauts can be attached. That's where I got most of my points on the Scribblenauts page: going through all the objects on the site and adding all the ones that I was able to summon. :)
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

Football is a sport that doesn't really require grass.  Grass surfaces are largely preferred, but artificial turf of various kinds is pretty common.  Football games have no place on this page.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By KamasamaK

I just added back Fat Princess because being on the grass affects your movement speed. I suppose a similar rationale could be applied to many driving games.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eight months have passed . . .  

What games should be removed? Be sure to read the first post if you are unsure of what this page is supposed to be.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " EIght months have passed . . .   What games should be removed? Be sure to read the first post if you are unsure of what this page is supposed to be. "
    You know what, after being reasonably active in the wiki while this topic was on hiatus, my opinion is now that all pages with grass should be listed as having grass. That's the way it is with every concept/object - if a game includes something, then it should be listed as having it. Consider how silly it would be to not list a game as having guns simply because lots of other games have guns.

What I think we should do is mention special cases where grass is used in an interesting way in the page description. That way it is the best of both worlds - everything that relates to the topic is included and all interesting uses of grass are documented in the actual description. This seems to be the case already.

Another thought is to have two pages - a grass object page, this will include all games with grass; then there will be a concept page, this will include examples of "interactive grass" (or maybe another better title). It will include games that involve players hiding in grass or cutting grass with a sword etc... Anything where grass relates to a game mechanic..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.