Gravity Rush makes me actually glad I bought a Vita.

#1 Edited by Totori (559 posts) -

I downloaded it today and played it for about three hours. I loved the demo, but had no idea what to expect from the actual game. I was not expecting a full on open world game, like Studio Ghibli made an Infamous game. I'm totally impressed, kinda gives me hope for the Assassin's Creed vita game. It's a very very interesting game, that's way deeper than I expected.

#2 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

This game kicks ass.

#3 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@TentPole: I really like music too
#4 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I really like cruising around the city looking for gems. I haven't had this much fun just running around since Spiderman 2.

#5 Posted by ike7779 (276 posts) -

@Totori said:

The music reminds me of Dragon Quest VIII for some reason.

I'm only about an hour in and I'm really into it so far. I really like the atmosphere and love how vertical the city is.

#6 Posted by hershelgeorgelives (78 posts) -

It makes me glad I sold mine when I did.

#7 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@hershelgeorgelives said:

It makes me glad I sold mine when I did.

That does not make sense
#8 Posted by Binarynova (150 posts) -

@ike7779 said:

@Totori said:

The music reminds me of Dragon Quest VIII for some reason.

I'm only about an hour in and I'm really into it so far. I really like the atmosphere and love how vertical the city is.

I came to the forums to see if anyone else noticed that about music as well. There are times it's very reminiscent of DQ8, and other times it sounds like FFXII. Love it!

Also, this game makes me glad I have a Vita too. Aiming the Gravity Kick can be a pain, and the load times (particularly when retrying challenges) are pretty long, but whatever, the game is fun!

#9 Edited by handlas (2636 posts) -

Yea, it's a really nice game. I hadn't paid any attention to it beforehand thinking it would be crap. Completely wrong on my part. Love the art style. Love the gameplay so far... I'm only on part 3. Music and characters are kewl. Had no idea it was an open-world type game.

Only negative for me is the right-stick to control the camera feels a little weird to me. Like it moves too quickly or feels like it is sticking on objects or something.

Was gonna pick up it and MGS HD Collection but I think Gravity Rush is enough for now.

#10 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@handlas: Don't get the vita MGS. The console one is cheaper, has Peace Walker, and can be played on a TV.
#11 Posted by Binarynova (150 posts) -

@handlas said:

Only negative for me is the right-stick to control the camera feels a little weird to me. Like it moves too quickly or feels like it is sticking on objects or something.

Trying playing with the sensitivity. I had to turn the camera controls nearly all the way down before the right-stick really felt "right" for me. Haven't had much luck with the motion sensitivity (especially regarding the Gravity Slide).

#12 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I've only played a couple of hours but I dig the atmosphere, music and Crackdownesque orb hunting. I find myself using the right stick for broader camera movements and the motion/gyro stuff for minute changes when aiming gravity kicks etc., feels pretty natural.

#13 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Does anyone wish the L button did the flying kick attack and square reset gravity. I hate having to take my thumb of the right stick to attack.

Or it would work if they just let me aim with the left stick RE4 style.

#14 Posted by VRMN (41 posts) -

There are a few things that bother me about the game; the load times when retrying or quitting out of a mission is definitely near the top. But overall, it's actually really enjoyable to just goof off in the world. Not many games pull that off and I think it speaks to the strength of the mechanic.

It's definitely my favorite Vita-only game thus far. Not saying too much on its face, but I'm actually using it to play more than Rayman or various PSP games for the first time since I bought it, so that's a plus. Does it justify my owning the system? Not really, but since I do, I'm glad I finally have an experience that's worth having on it.

#15 Posted by Binarynova (150 posts) -

After playing through several episodes now, and having to endure a few boss fights I have to say, I don't recall playing a game that so actively fought my attempts to control it. The controls have made combat, especially against bosses, a huge chore for me and combat is chief among the only reasons I ever put the game down (the other being that the controls don't lend themselves to race challenges either). Sadly this has happened often.

So many other aspects of the game (visuals, audio, setting, overall style) are top notch and that makes it all the more disappointing that I feel like I'm struggling for basic functionality.

I sort of get the impression that after a few shaky episodes of learning her ability she should have just segued into full-on flight (as it seems Raven has, even in the demo). The go/stop/go/stop feel of maneuvering isn't doing it for me and it doesn't help the combat at all. Missing and then having to correct, only to find you've overcorrected, watching Kat go kicking off into space, stopping her and doing it again can get rather aggravating.

I want to love this game! Is there something I'm missing/doing wrong?

#16 Posted by marben79 (3 posts) -

I really enjoy the music to the game.. and i am having fun with the game. Sliding is hard with controls.. but otherwise i havent had much trouble. I love my vita.... and this game is keeping me playing for a long time.

#17 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Same here. Even though I've been quite outspoken of the Vita's faults in the past, this is an absolutely fantastic game. It's a shame we won't be getting any others like it in the near future. :(

#18 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1660 posts) -
@Binarynova: Sounds like you're having some of the same issues Alex mentioned in his review, so I don't think it's just you.
#19 Posted by Legend (2646 posts) -

This game is crazy good. I love it!

#20 Posted by AgnosticJesus (539 posts) -

I bought MGS instead and love it. Having never played MGS 2 or 3 it seemed like the logical choice for me to buy. Glad to hear that Gravity Rush is awesome, I think I'll take advantage of the Best Buy 100% trade-in bonus and pick it up. I saw the 3-star review on GB and let it wrongly influence my purchase.

#21 Posted by phantomzxro (1558 posts) -

i'm really enjoying the game and it's my favorite vita game so far. The music is really great and the art style is awesome and works along side the music to really give the world life and a uniqueness not many games offer lately. The control take some getting use to mainly in combat but i have not found it to hard to control considering you have a few different ways to kill enemies if the gravity kick becomes a chore for you. The gravity slide is the only thing i felt gets a little wild to control when doing the longer sliding parts.

#22 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

I was was surprised by the game, I am so glad I purchased it last night. Really fun and interesting concept.

#23 Posted by Twinsun (469 posts) -

If you love open world games like Infamous, crackdown, spider-man 2 etc. get this game!

#24 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -

Just finished getting the platinum trophy and it was really fun. Controls well after lowering the sensitivity a bit since the default made vertical movements way too fast. The exploration is really the best part of the game and the story and setting was interesting.

Too bad there was no ending, and instead it was pretty much a sequel confirmation. The dragon Nevi got to be pretty annoying as well.
#25 Posted by ike7779 (276 posts) -

Yeah, I agree the controls can be very clumsy, but I think that that might have been on purpose. When Kat engages her gravity powers her animation is her floating around all clumsily in the air. I think the idea is to make you feel empowered that you can coerce this clumsy girl with some special powers into doing great things (beating bosses, rescuing people, etc). I've noticed a little bit of lock-on correction for moves like the gravity kick, but other than that there is no real hand-holdey stuff.

After spending a bit more time with it (last chapter I think) I still really like it. If you can stay patient with it (read: ~2 drinks) it's still very enjoyable. That's not always easy though.

The loading times on the challenges really do piss me off, fortunately it's pretty easy to rank 3rd in most of the them in only a few tries and it seems like you can alternately gather just as many gems by simply exploring the world. Wishful thinking is that they'll fix the loading times with a patch but I'm not holding my breath.

#26 Posted by cosi83 (392 posts) -

Haven't enjoyed collecting stuff so much since Infamous 2. Fantastic game all round!

#27 Posted by Magicsteve (2 posts) -

Looking forward to the sequel. Haven't played any DLC yet, is it worth picking up?

#28 Posted by Groof (18 posts) -

Been dragging this game out ever since I got it almost 6 months ago, don't know how far I've gotten, but I really like it. The controls can seem really flimsy at times, however, but I suspect maybe I have the sensitivity up way too high?

@Magicsteve said:

Looking forward to the sequel. Haven't played any DLC yet, is it worth picking up?

Also this. I got the military DLC with my pre-order of it, and I just beat the first mission. It was alright, always enjoy myself some costumes in games, but what about the other two?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.