Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Green Day: Rock Band

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jun 08, 2010

Green Day: Rock Band is Harmonix's second installment in their flagship series' band-centric spin-off, and exclusively features the work of the highly-popular punk-rock group Green Day.

So... Thoughts on Green Day: Rock Band

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
    TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Edited By TheLawnWrangler

Huh... f*ckin' a... apparently there is going to be one. Weird.  

I feel the only way I'd appreciate this is if it were like the ACDC thing, rather than something similar to the Beatles: Rock Band... I don't know I feel like Green Day doesn't really have enough... I don't know... something would just feel a little wrong. They don't have legendary concerts or moments that you'd be able to play out through cutscenes (atleast in a creative way). Also I hope they consider keeping it uncensored... it'd be weird playing through a lot of their stuff without the cursing, because it already is kinda awkward with dlc and such (but I tend to bend the rules when it just seems right... Creep, I'm looking at you). 

Then again this could be a good thing... Basket Case... Brain Stew... King for a Day... Jesus of Suburbia (which is a great song, imho), etc. They have a lot of good songs 

Then they have a lot of really dumb stuff like Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, When September Ends... etc. 

Basically I feel they must pick the setlist wisely (especially the new stuff)... but hey... It's freakin' Harmonix. They have our back and know what would be fun and what wouldn't... I hope o.O And hell, maybe there are some interesting events and concerts, so fi to me, i suppose. We'll just have to wait and see.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?    

TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

Huh... f*ckin' a... apparently there is going to be one. Weird.  

I feel the only way I'd appreciate this is if it were like the ACDC thing, rather than something similar to the Beatles: Rock Band... I don't know I feel like Green Day doesn't really have enough... I don't know... something would just feel a little wrong. They don't have legendary concerts or moments that you'd be able to play out through cutscenes (atleast in a creative way). Also I hope they consider keeping it uncensored... it'd be weird playing through a lot of their stuff without the cursing, because it already is kinda awkward with dlc and such (but I tend to bend the rules when it just seems right... Creep, I'm looking at you). 

Then again this could be a good thing... Basket Case... Brain Stew... King for a Day... Jesus of Suburbia (which is a great song, imho), etc. They have a lot of good songs 

Then they have a lot of really dumb stuff like Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, When September Ends... etc. 

Basically I feel they must pick the setlist wisely (especially the new stuff)... but hey... It's freakin' Harmonix. They have our back and know what would be fun and what wouldn't... I hope o.O And hell, maybe there are some interesting events and concerts, so fi to me, i suppose. We'll just have to wait and see.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?    

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

yeah. This is mass media's attempt to stick Green Day in the same category as the Beatles. Or maybe just trying to cash out off the Beatles Rock Band, I don't know. But either way, Green Day, frankly, aren't good in my opinion. And my opinion aside, even if they have/had talent at some points in their lives, their career isn't prolific enough to make it worth the game.

Honestly, I'll go back and play GH: Aerosmith before I pick up Rock Band Green day

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By CornontheCobbe

If they have 409 in your coffeemaker or Paper Lanterns. I'm there. The true Green Day fans will definitely want the classics like Brain Stew and FOD, but then there's the people who only listen to them casually, and they might only know and want the more mainstream songs like Basket Case, Holiday, and Boulevard.

Hopefully it will be a bit of a mix. A bit of old, a bit of new, some B-Sides maybe. Dookie, 1039 smooth, and American Idiot stuff would be good.

I'd definitely get it.  Thanks for letting me know too! Can't wait.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Fuck it.
    That is what I think about this game.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By toowalrus

I honestly don't have much respect for Green Day. I don't really enjoy their music, and that's one thing. Another is that people consider them as hardcore punk. 

Jeff Gerstmann and I are usually polar opposites when it comes to taste in music, but there is one thing he said that I agree with 100%: "The most punk thing Green Day has ever done is refuse to sell their album at Wal-mart" Which is absolutely true.

Needless to say, I won't be buying Green Day. It's a bummer that Harmonix has put them on the same level as the Beatles, and it's a bummer that they're jumping on the annual-release bandwagon. In my mind, Harmonix are on the same level as Activision now.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't think they are good enough to warrant having their own game. It would be better as DLC or something.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GunnBjorn

If this is coming to pass, there are going to be a lot more Rock Band games.
    Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fbomb

Pretty much, like all other Rock Band games, it's another RockBand game.

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
    guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By guerrilla_mason

I like it. I like Green Day, so this game should be fun.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By damswedon
    @TooWalrus said:

" I honestly don't have much respect for Green Day. I don't really enjoy their music, and that's one thing. Another is that people consider them as hardcore punk. 

Jeff Gerstmann and I are usually polar opposites when it comes to taste in music, but there is one thing he said that I agree with 100%: "The most punk thing Green Day has ever done is refuse to sell their album at Wal-mart" Which is absolutely true.  

Needless to say, I won't be buying Green Day. It's a bummer that Harmonix has put them on the same level as the Beatles, and it's a bummer that they're jumping on the annual-release bandwagon. In my mind, Harmonix are on the same level as Activision now. "

This with the combined sentiment that America has never understood what punk is, Americans never will understand that and really need to stop trying to be punk, as punk died a long time.
    Telltale has a better chance of doing a punk game than harmonix does at this point.

Also it is very likely the game will be T rated therefore no swearing and what is punk without swearing?
    I want my two cowboys T-shirt god damn it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

Well there's a Pearl Jam Rock Band planned as well so they will probably just be making these in the same way they made the AC/DC game.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.............

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheFreeMan

I enjoy listening to Green Day, so I'd enjoy a full-on Green Day: Rock Band, I think.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Red12b

Pearl Jam would be better, They have 200 plus songs, 
    But I thought they were going to focus on old bands, bands that truly changed music. 

Rolling Stones should be next.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By hatking
    @damswedon said:
    "@TooWalrus said:

" I honestly don't have much respect for Green Day. I don't really enjoy their music, and that's one thing. Another is that people consider them as hardcore punk. 

Needless to say, I won't be buying Green Day. It's a bummer that Harmonix has put them on the same level as the Beatles, and it's a bummer that they're jumping on the annual-release bandwagon. In my mind, Harmonix are on the same level as Activision now. "

This with the combined sentiment that America has never understood what punk is, Americans never will understand that and really need to stop trying to be punk, as punk died a long time.
    Telltale has a better chance of doing a punk game than harmonix does at this point.

Also it is very likely the game will be T rated therefore no swearing and what is punk without swearing?
    I want my two cowboys T-shirt god damn it.

"

I'm American and will admit you are 100% correct, sir.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Phished0ne
    @JJWeatherman said:

" Well there's a Pearl Jam Rock Band planned as well so they will probably just be making these in the same way they made the AC/DC game. "

Wrong, because the "AC/DC game" wasnt even a game, it was a track-pack that had to be bought on disc, there were no levels or character models in it.

Harmonix is starting down a slippery slope,  and it worries me. Soon the market will be even more saturated with Plastic Instruments, and game retailers will start sending out saboteurs to firebomb Harmonix HQ for taking up WAYYY TOO MUCH shelf space. This whole thing stinks to high-heaven, HMX have betrayed us. That may sound melodramatic, but remember when they told us Rock Band was going to be a platform? turns out, the platform they meant was a platform to sell you more discs. 

as Jeff said, "the only Green Day i need in rock band is Dookie...thats it"
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

I think that Green Day has been a highly influential band in terms of modern rock over the last 20 years.  Dookie helped redefine what was acceptable on popular radio as far as rock was concerned.  Unfortunately, I know that MY generation of Green Day (Kerplunk!, Dookie, Insomniac) is going to be poorly represented so songs like "Wake Me Up When September Ends" or "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" will have room on the game.  I can almost guarantee that "Christie Road" and "One of My Lies", which were staples of the Green Day live set even when they were touring on Nimrod, won't make it onto the game. 

HOWEVER...this is Harmonix, and they have done an excellent job with every one of their music/rhythm releases.  Therefore, I assume that they will know what they are doing with this. 

This doesn't change the fact that there are other bands I would RATHER see featured in this type of game, such as...oh...Pink Floyd.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I don't think a Green Day Rockband is a bad idea at all. They have enough songs to fill it up and a lot of people enjoy their music. But I won't ever be happy until we have a Led Zep Rockband, but I also know that probably won't ever happen. One can hope though.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Phished0ne said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

" Well there's a Pearl Jam Rock Band planned as well so they will probably just be making these in the same way they made the AC/DC game. "

Wrong, because the "AC/DC game" wasnt even a game, it was a track-pack that had to be bought on disc, there were no levels or character models in it. Harmonix is starting down a slippery slope,  and it worries me. Soon the market will be even more saturated with Plastic Instruments, and game retailers will start sending out saboteurs to firebomb Harmonix HQ for taking up WAYYY TOO MUCH shelf space. This whole thing stinks to high-heaven, HMX have betrayed us. That may sound melodramatic, but remember when they told us Rock Band was going to be a platform? turns out, the platform they meant was a platform to sell you more discs.  as Jeff said, "the only Green Day i need in rock band is Dookie...thats it" "
    Well since the "track packs" are stand alone additions that can be played without another Rock Band game, I would call them games.

Also, I don't see what the big deal is about discs. The tracks will be exportable so it's basically the same as DLC. All this does is allow us Rock Band owners to buy Green Day DLC at a reduced price essentially. At least I assume the price will be lower than it would be if we had to buy all the tracks individually at $2 a pop. For people that don't own Rock Band, they can buy this if they really like Green Day and want to play some of their songs.

Also, I read the Harmonix official announcement and it said they were bringing "Artist Likenesses" to the game.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArchScabby

Meh

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By scarace360

CRAP Dont like the band.
    Was looking forward to mastodon rock band.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Phished0ne
    @JJWeatherman:  I just have a problem with them releasing a new game when there are still DLC promises they have yet to fulfill. Theres still another Grateful Dead pack that they have yet to release, i just think their priorities are messed up.  I mean its dumb, they are releasing Green Day: Rock Band,  but they are also releasing Green Day DLC for Rock Band 2, it makes no sense. 

also my point about character models was pertaining to the AC/DC  "game"  not the Green Day one. 

edit: actually the thing that makes me the most angry is that i would want "Dookie" but nothing else, so if i want to get those songs, i need to pay the price for a full game, when i will only play the songs from dookie
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I just wanted Dookie released as DLC, not this.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AgentofChaos

I'd be willing to play it if they have some stuff from Kerplunk or 1,039 Smooth. The real problem with this game right now is we don't know much. A full release is possible, but unlikely.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Phished0ne

The only way HMX can save face imo is to put all the songs in the game also available as separate DLC for people that dont want all of it, but i dont think they will.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By carlthenimrod

The only real question I had was if it was exportable. Since it is, I am on-board.

I wonder how deep they will get with it. Will they include tracks off 1039 and Kerplunk? What about even some tracks from the Foxboro Hot Tubs or The Network?

I'll buy it regardless because I pretty much enjoy all of Green Day from old to new.

billygoat117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By billygoat117

I absolutely do not understand why Harmonix thought their next band-specific game should be Green Day. Their debatable musical merit aside, they simply do not have the cachet to carry a full game, especially with this coming hot on the heels of the Beatles. Are we really comparing these two bands? Really? I guess it's just been wishful thinking on my part, but I thought the point of the band-specific Rock Band games was to focus on legendary bands that have had huge influences and prolific careers. The most noteworthy thing about Green Day is that they wear eyeliner and didn't like President Bush. Why isn't this Rock Band: The Rolling Stones or Rock Band: Queen or even Rock Band: Tom Petty? At this point you might as well make the next one Rock Band: Limp Bizkit.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NinjaHunter

You know if they announced Rock Band 3 I'd be ok with it. But this individual band stuff needs to stop.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gruff182
    @CoheedFavorHouse said:
    " yeah. This is mass media's attempt to stick Green Day in the same category as the Beatles. Or maybe just trying to cash out off the Beatles Rock Band, I don't know. But either way, Green Day, frankly, aren't good in my opinion. And my opinion aside, even if they have/had talent at some points in their lives, their career isn't prolific enough to make it worth the game.  Honestly, I'll go back and play GH: Aerosmith before I pick up Rock Band Green day "
    Neverender: Rock Band. I'd buy that!
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rayfield

I personally have no interest in Green Day:Rock Band.  

Also, I think Harmonix are insane to choose Green Day to follow the Beatles.  

Here's what Harmonix need to do instead. I'm gonna lay it out right here. You ready? Right now... 

ROLLING STONES: ROCK BAND. AND IF YOU CAN'T DO THAT, THEN STOP WITH BAND EXCLUSIVE ROCK BAND TITLES AND JUST RELEASE AN AWESOME ROCK BAND 3 AND THEN STOP DUDE.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think everyone here should read the Harmonix official announcement all the way through before they complain.

Oh and just stop complaining, God damn. I'm not at all a Green Day fan but hey, more Rock Band is more Rock Band people!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dalai

While there are dozens of bands that might be a better fit, Green Day: Rock Band is not a terrible idea, in fact it's a good idea.  They've been around long enough and have enough material... and are pretty influential.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By toowalrus
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I think everyone here should read the Harmonix official announcement all the way through before they complain.  Oh and just stop complaining, God damn. I'm not at all a Green Day fan but hey, more Rock Band is more Rock Band people! "
    Why don't we apply that same attitude towards the Guitar Hero franchise? They're the exact same thing when on a disc. The thing that sets Rock Band apart is the mass amount of DLC. The fact that they're making another band-centered rockband game that can't be imported into Rock Band 2 means that they're essential the same as Activision at this point.

I think the Beatles get a pass on that. The Beatles were essentialy a tool used to attract new customers who haven't had experience with the plastic instrument genre. I don't think Green Day has that same effect.
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AltonBrown
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ieatlions
    @TooWalrus: The fact that there making another band centered rockband game doesnt negate that they have a mass amount of dlc
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus
    @AltonBrown: Well that's good. Alton Brown would be proud if he were only alive today.
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AltonBrown
    @TooWalrus said:
    " @AltonBrown: Well that's good. Alton Brown would be proud if he were only alive today. "
    Que?
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By toowalrus
    @AltonBrown: Eh? Oh, nothing.
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AltonBrown
    @Gruff182 said:
    " @CoheedFavorHouse said:
    " yeah. This is mass media's attempt to stick Green Day in the same category as the Beatles. Or maybe just trying to cash out off the Beatles Rock Band, I don't know. But either way, Green Day, frankly, aren't good in my opinion. And my opinion aside, even if they have/had talent at some points in their lives, their career isn't prolific enough to make it worth the game.  Honestly, I'll go back and play GH: Aerosmith before I pick up Rock Band Green day "
    Neverender: Rock Band. I'd buy that! "
    That would make me so happy.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rayfield

Seriously Harmonix, a Green Day game? You're actually asking people to pay money for a full disc game so we can play played-out stuff like American Idiot and Time of Your Life? Yeah, Dookie's a good album, but this game will not focus on stoned, constantly-masturbating, dole-bludging Green Day but rather eyeliner, stadium-conquering, 'Our music has a message now' Green Day whose music is in fifty billion movie trailers and unless you're a hardcore latter-day Green Day fan, you'd be completely sick of. 

Waiting for Fall Out Boy:Rock Band announcement in late 2010.
    TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

well Im happier about this, and someone earlier said it right, it's more rock band, we should be happy! 

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Phished0ne
    @JJWeatherman: I complain because i have the right to.  

But, it worries me, when you start releasing DLC and full "band" games, it puts people in the predicament i described in my earlier post.  
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By maxszy

This is ridiculous. I can't stand Green Day personally and they are not even close to The Beatles. Ridiculous! Ridiculous I say!
    bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bretthancock

There is so much unnecessary Green Day hate in this thread.  You'd think they are releasing Rock Band: Limp Bizkit or something.

Green Day was the band that got me into music that wasn't played on the top 20 station.  First CD I ever bought was Dookie.  I wanted to learn how to play guitar so that I could play all of Dookie.  They've released some shit over the years but I still love the band that started it all for me.

That being said I'm stoked on this game and that Harmonix is doing it not Activision.  Harmonix did the Beatles justice with their version with all the history, venues, and different time periods and I don't see why they would fail at this.  Despite everyone's hate Green Day has a pretty interesting history.  All the posts about paying to play Time of Your Life and Boulevard are misguided.   I'm bored at work so I thought I'd break it down.

1,039 SMoothed out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk - Their first 2 albums.  You can create a virtual Gilman as the backdrop for this "period" and have probably around 5-6 songs off of these years.   Welcome to Paradise, 2000 Lightyears Away just to name a couple.

Dookie and Insomniac - Just include both of these albums in their entirety.   As long as they have the Green Day avatars from this period in all of their speed and coked out glory it should be a success.  The woodstock performance would be the ultimate fan service.

Nimrod and Warning - Throw in the hits (Nice Guys Finish Last, Minority, Waiting) and you are all set.  5 tracks.

American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown - Put in all the hits and a few others.  I'd estimate around 15 tracks from these two albums. 

Thats around 50 tracks spanning all the different eras of Green Day.  To say Harmonix is selling out by by releasing this is ludacris.

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bretthancock
    @Rayfield said:
    " I personally have no interest in Green Day:Rock Band.   Also, I think Harmonix are insane to choose Green Day to follow the Beatles.   Here's what Harmonix need to do instead. I'm gonna lay it out right here. You ready? Right now...   ROLLING STONES: ROCK BAND. AND IF YOU CAN'T DO THAT, THEN STOP WITH BAND EXCLUSIVE ROCK BAND TITLES AND JUST RELEASE AN AWESOME ROCK BAND 3 AND THEN STOP DUDE. "
    That will never happen unless Harmonix wants to sign their own bankruptcy filling. 
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ravensword

Its gonna bomb. Hard.
    Avatar image for royalewifcheese
    RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

I find it odd that this is a thing. I was watching the trailer and thought Green Day was an odd choice to follow the Beatles. But, I grew up listening to Dookie. I think the only way I'd be interested in this is if the early stuff is prominent. Kerplunk, Dookie, and Insomniac, please.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't hate Green Day, but they're a bad choice to follow up The Beatles and aren't worthy of having their own game. I've felt that they needed to follow it up with Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, or just give up the band-specific games entirely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.