Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Greg Hastings Paintball 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

The third and final entry in the Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball series of first-person paintball games, built for seventh-generation consoles.

Can somebody explain...

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Phr4nk0

So I have wondered why paintball games exist for a while now. I understand the appeal of paintball, it's the closest to real warfare most people will ever get or want to. So it's fun thrilling etc. But it's effectively turning the act of war into a game, a proxy of war say. Now we have these proxies of war on consoles, CoD, MoH, Battlefield etc. Same appeal except it's not a real person so we use real(fake) guns to shoot real(fake) people over xbox live. I understand the appeal, I like it... just like I like paintball. 

Then you have the paintball game. Effectively a game of a game of war. A proxy of a proxy. We've twice removed ourselfs from the act of war we are tryin to replicate. I just want to know if you play these paintball games... why? Explain to me the draw of the fabled paintball game, and why there are so many of these. Is paintball that big of a sport elsewhere that there are pro-paintball athletes that you want to play as your favourite or something?
    hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hondorondo

maybe someone doesnt like  the idea of killing fictitious people  and the general tone of death and hatred.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Phr4nk0: It is for children of which their parents will not let them play violent games?
    FulcoBallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By FulcoBallard

there are two big leagues here in the U.S. NPPL and PSP its different from what most people think of when they think of paintball  
    check out their  websites  
    http://www.nppl.com/ 
    http://pspevents.com/      
    i used to play a couple years ago but it got really expensive but im like you i dont understand the point of playing it on a console
    Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

proxy you say?
     proxy you say?
    mistersneak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mistersneak
    @Phr4nk0: The game's mechanics are dramatically different than that of a typical first person shooter, and the game is designed to play by the tactics that work in paintball, specifically.  Not the strafing, jumping, no-scope headshot kind of stuff you see in your regular shooter.  The game rewards staying in cover because it's very easy to be eliminated.  It has a highly controllable lean feature (called "snap") so that you can shoot opponents, while staying in cover. 
    You can reload while firing, just like with a real paintball gun.  Further, the game features slides and dives, things that would be great for any shooter, but are more key to the sport of paintball. 

So the answer is, really, because paintball is fun for its own sake.  And making a game that highlights the strengths of paintball is what makes it different, and viable, from any other shooter. 

The fact that it's rated E10+ is a nice bonus.  But lots of people that play paintball don't play it just because it's a simulation of war.  They play it because they love the game of paintball.  So making a game after it is just as reasonable as making a game of Chess, Tennis or Baseball.
    Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
    deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mistersneak: Well written, totally agree with everything you have just said!
    Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

I've never considered paintball something that was trying to be close to real warfare.  It feels too different in my opinion.  Professional Airsoft is closer to that.  
    As for the discussion this might help.
    I went to a in door paintball arena to get my gun fixed one day during a tournament and the players there were talking about this game, and how some of the players didn't play like they should've and certain ones were just as good as in real life.  It was strange, to them it was like they were playing the new Madden and checking if all their favorite paintball pros played like they would in real life.  I guess some people are really into this stuff.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By alternate

Yup, way to make a shooter and get an E for Everyone rating.  I am surprised more companies don't do it.  Like with Japan and Germany where they make the blood green or change humans to robots to get past a censor - they should do paintball mods for all games and instantly widen the audience.  Call Of Duty : Paintball y'all - suitable for all ages.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

When I was in 7th grade I bought a paintball game and thought it was amazing to play a videogame based off of paintball until I came to the conclusion that I could just play Goldeneye 64 if I wanted to simulate shooting dudes.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Cirdain
    @TimAllen624: I swear that has a Paintball mode in the cheats or somin' as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.