Greg Kasavin doing a PAX panel!

#1 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

From PAX's official schedule:  

Friday, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM, Unicorn Theatre

Memoirs of a Triple Agent

The game industry is like Starcraft: It has three sides (two of which hate each other) and you're likely to get destroyed when first you get near any of them. Developers, publishers, and the media continue to coexist in a tense symbiotic relationship, and in this panel, industry veteran Greg Kasavin will walk you through what it's like being on the inside of all three, and tips for how to deal with each. Kasavin's unique experience having worked as editor-in-chief of a major gaming publication, as a line producer on a noted development team, and on the publishing side of a company behind some of the year's biggest games has given him a broad perspective he hopes will usher in a new age of peace and prosperity in the industry. On second thought, he'd settle for you coming to this panel.

Moderated by: Greg Kasavin [Producer, 2K Games]

As a great admirer of Greg's, this is really exciting news. Any Giant Bomb fans going to PAX should attend. Greg is a very knowledgable man, and this should be a very interesting panel.

#2 Posted by natetodamax (19216 posts) -

I sincerely hope someone puts that on the internet somewhere. As I consider Kasavin to be somewhat of an idol to me, I would find it beneficial to watch this. Too bad I have the misfortune of not being able to attend.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

He's ambitious, I'll give him that, but he's also a tool for cheating his way into two amateur game design contests run by a fellow GameSpot editor while he was still at GS.  He also won, no doubt due to his inside knowledge.  Once he revealed his identity to the world, it basically ruined all of the good will that I felt the contest had.

#4 Posted by GregK (34 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
"He's ambitious, I'll give him that, but he's also a tool for cheating his way into two amateur game design contests run by a fellow GameSpot editor while he was still at GS.  He also won, no doubt due to his inside knowledge.  Once he revealed his identity to the world, it basically ruined all of the good will that I felt the contest had. "

For some reason the idea that someone could think I cheated to win that old contest provoked me into responding here. If you're interested in my side of the story on what happened, this is the article I wrote where I "outed" myself as a contest participant and explain everything that happened in some detail. It's an interesting article for me to look back on now that I've been tooling around in game development for a few years, so thank you for giving me a reason to look it up.

To the rest of you guys, yeah...! I'm hosting a PAX panel, which I still need to prepare for a bunch. If you could make it that would be great.
#5 Posted by TurboMan (7679 posts) -

why pax doesn't stream all of their panels confuses me, cause if I lived anywhere near PAX, I would be first in line for this one.

#6 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Next year when I go to Berkeley, I'm going to hit up PAX no matter what. These panels just seem to get better every year.

#7 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -

Greg K at PAX, awesome, 
@GregK 
Hey man, How is it? Cheers for still writing articles/Blogs, they are really interesting to read. 

I wash I could go to PAX, but seeing as it isn't held In New Zealand, kinda proves a bit hard to go, 

#8 Posted by DystopiaX (5351 posts) -
@TurboMan said:
" why pax doesn't stream all of their panels confuses me, cause if I lived anywhere near PAX, I would be first in line for this one. "
This. Also, is the GB one going to be streamed? shit seems like it'd be hilarious.
#9 Edited by Undeadpool (4986 posts) -
#10 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -

I wash? I wash I could go...

Fuck's sake..

#11 Posted by Undeadpool (4986 posts) -
@Red12b:  
You and me both! I said Gabe when I should've said Tycho!
#12 Edited by endless_void (706 posts) -

Holy shit, I NEED TO SEE THIS. Someone going to PAX, PLEASE tape it and post it.

@GregK:  Dude! You have to start making reviews again someday! You're awesome.

#13 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -
@GregK said:
" @Hailinel said:
"He's ambitious, I'll give him that, but he's also a tool for cheating his way into two amateur game design contests run by a fellow GameSpot editor while he was still at GS.  He also won, no doubt due to his inside knowledge.  Once he revealed his identity to the world, it basically ruined all of the good will that I felt the contest had. "

For some reason the idea that someone could think I cheated to win that old contest provoked me into responding here. If you're interested in my side of the story on what happened, this is the article I wrote where I "outed" myself as a contest participant and explain everything that happened in some detail. It's an interesting article for me to look back on now that I've been tooling around in game development for a few years, so thank you for giving me a reason to look it up. To the rest of you guys, yeah...! I'm hosting a PAX panel, which I still need to prepare for a bunch. If you could make it that would be great. "
HOLY CRAP!!!! GREG KASAVIN'S ON GB!!!!!!
#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11991 posts) -

This is the part where I wish I was going to PAX. Nope. It wasn't the promise of yet-another Giant Bomb Panel. It was the promise of a Greg Kasavin Panel. Any man who uses a creature from Disciples 2 as his icon is a man worthy of my respect. Also, that article is hilariously ironic, in retrospect.

#15 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -

@GregK  

Get interviewed for the luchazine, I mean seriously, that would be fucking awesome. 

Do it 

DO IT!

#16 Posted by Meltbrain (2975 posts) -
@Hailinel:  You just got told by Greg K. Awesome.
#17 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I moving to fucking Washington so I can go to god damn PAX.

#18 Posted by Gamer_152 (14099 posts) -

It sounds awesome. This is the kind of thing which makes me wish I could go to PAX.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -
@Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel:  You just got told by Greg K. Awesome. "
Well, he told me something, in that he addressed a response to me.  He didn't exactly serve me, though.
#20 Posted by jkz (4049 posts) -

EFFF. And now the fact that I'm not going to make it to PAX stings even more.

#21 Posted by Meltbrain (2975 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
Well, he told me something, in that he addressed a response to me.  He didn't exactly serve me, though. "
Oh, I think you got served pretty good.
#22 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -
@Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
Well, he told me something, in that he addressed a response to me.  He didn't exactly serve me, though. "
Oh, I think you got served pretty good. "
All he did was link to an old article he wrote, which I had already read years ago and did nothing to quell my distaste for his cheating.  Actually, it was that article that annoyed me in the first place.
#23 Posted by Meltbrain (2975 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
All he did was link to an old article he wrote, which I had already read years ago and did nothing to quell my distaste for his cheating.  Actually, it was that article that annoyed me in the first place. "
Well I think you're on your own there, buddy.
#24 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -
@Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
All he did was link to an old article he wrote, which I had already read years ago and did nothing to quell my distaste for his cheating.  Actually, it was that article that annoyed me in the first place. "
Well I think you're on your own there, buddy. "
Nobody asked you.  How about you let Greg speak for himself and quit acting the part of the sycophant?
#25 Posted by Lukeweizer (2746 posts) -

I love Greg. I hope we does an impromptu marathon of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

#26 Posted by Meltbrain (2975 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
Nobody asked you.  How about you let Greg speak for himself and quit acting the part of the sycophant? "
Lol. No need to get nasty.
#27 Posted by GregK (34 posts) -

Mission accomplished...?
#28 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

^^ Dude, that's Gamespotting Live's Greg Kasavin!! He just posted something on my thread!! Awesome!! ^^
And guys, just a reminder that we're here to talk about Greg's panel and not something-that-I-don't-know-what-it-is-but-it-apparently-pissed-one-dude-off-real-bad. So, yeah.

#29 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

I can of no better man to talk about games media and production.

#30 Posted by ZmillA (2281 posts) -

@Hailinel got destoryed ITT, nuff said.

So any word about a stream for this panel?

#31 Posted by TheHT (11663 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
Nobody asked you.  How about you let Greg speak for himself and quit acting the part of the sycophant? "
Thing about public forums, no one needs to ask.
#32 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -
@TheHT said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Meltbrain said:
Thing about public forums, no one needs to ask. "
Exactly your message is public, it's in the open, Sure you can be all pissed off, it's your prerogative to be so, but it's also our prerogative to say this

you got served.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.